AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

8 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I've got ~25 shooters and ~60 stabbas to paint. I have my 20 gitmob archers with another 40 to paint that I intend to use as shootas.

Yes, I've been wondering whether to use them as Shootas ( 60 are with bows ), but wasn't sure if that would be seen as proxying or not.  At the moment they still work well as Gitmob allies and until GW decide their fate, I'm undecided.

I do have 8 bases of Snotlings now on 50mm rounds ( been doing quite a lot of re-basing!) and have been thinking of taking them in 4 units of 2, or 2 units of 4, to act as screens for my Troggoths.  They are 4 wounds a base, bravery 10, 160 points for 8 - any thoughts?

36 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Yes, I've been wondering whether to use them as Shootas ( 60 are with bows ), but wasn't sure if that would be seen as proxying or not.  At the moment they still work well as Gitmob allies and until GW decide their fate, I'm undecided.

IMO the vast majority of players won't even know there IS a separate gitmob warscroll. As long as you aren't putting down one as shootas and one as gitmob archers then it's going to be clear what they are.

37 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I do have 8 bases of Snotlings now on 50mm rounds ( been doing quite a lot of re-basing!) and have been thinking of taking them in 4 units of 2, or 2 units of 4, to act as screens for my Troggoths.  They are 4 wounds a base, bravery 10, 160 points for 8 - any thoughts?

Points per wound wise they are the best unit in destruction at 5? Compare them to a squig herd, the closest appropriate equivalent, and factor in a small cost reduction for the 6+ save. 

• 5 p/w for snotlings and around 5.5 for Squigs. 
  • Snotlings are 10" of space coverage for 80 compared to 8" of space coverage for the 70 of squigs.
  • The 10 Bravery is amazing as you have to lose 4 bases before you battleshock compared to squigs who battleshock super easily.

Honestly 2 units of 4 seem pretty reasonable, it gives you a really cheap expendable screen which can't be easily dealt with using low resources, which is especially valuable with how low wound count Dankhold armies generally are not to mention giving you a set of cheap units to just deny deepstrikes and/or hold objectives.

The biggest weakness would be how it increases your drop count, so that depends on where you're sat at the moment. Going from 4 to 6 is a giant leap, similarly 9 to 11. Going 5/6 to 9 is very minor in comparison. With that in mind i'd say 4-2-2 with your 8 bases if you can spare the drops?

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

IMO the vast majority of players won't even know there IS a separate gitmob warscroll. As long as you aren't putting down one as shootas and one as gitmob archers then it's going to be clear what they are.

Points per wound wise they are the best unit in destruction at 5? Compare them to a squig herd, the closest appropriate equivalent, and factor in a small cost reduction for the 6+ save. 

• 5 p/w for snotlings and around 5.5 for Squigs. 
  • Snotlings are 10" of space coverage for 80 compared to 8" of space coverage for the 70 of squigs.
  • The 10 Bravery is amazing as you have to lose 4 bases before you battleshock compared to squigs who battleshock super easily.

Honestly 2 units of 4 seem pretty reasonable, it gives you a really cheap expendable screen which can't be easily dealt with using low resources, which is especially valuable with how low wound count Dankhold armies generally are not to mention giving you a set of cheap units to just deny deepstrikes and/or hold objectives.

The biggest weakness would be how it increases your drop count, so that depends on where you're sat at the moment. Going from 4 to 6 is a giant leap, similarly 9 to 11. Going 5/6 to 9 is very minor in comparison. With that in mind i'd say 4-2-2 with your 8 bases if you can spare the drops?

Thanks for the feedback!   The Snotlings seemed like a not-completely-daft idea, but it's good to have a second opinion.  I was intending to use the battalion to reduce drops, so that plus the Hag would be 4-5 drops, depending on whether I go 2 units of 4, or 4-2-2.  I suspect, though that 4 drops is a lot better than 5 on the whole.  I also thought it would look nice having the biggest and smallest on the table at the same time (The Bonegrinder will stay in the fanciful notions pigeon hole for the time being).  

I was planning to run 2 units of 8 (or 6-6-4 to avoid battleshock), which theoretically screen off the first 20" of my side of the table (at least from teleport shennanigans).  Unfortunately, I can't find the rest of the little devils, so that idea will have to wait a while.

You're right about the Grots; I won't be running both sorts at the same time, so they can be Gitmob allies to my Ironjaws and Shootas with my Gitz.

It's also nice to know that others have enough love for the old Goblins to spend time re-basing them and giving them life in the new world.   This new book has made me a happy man just by it's existence, irrespective of how competitive it might be.  

Hi, my fellow dank friends! 

I decided to jump the bandwagon and do a Throgg force for myself, and the plan is having it fully converted, even non-throgg units will be throgg like, with a swamp theme and lots of magic...

So the initial ideas are:

- using Alarielle's bettle with a Throgg on it as a webspinner shaman on araknarok

- mollog heavly converted as a Skragrott count as, the "Bogg King"

- using a Dankhold mounted on slimux snail for the Hag count as, on a proper base size

- various "squiggly beasts" - walking mushrooms, stalacsquigs, spiders, insects to count as battleline squigherders (love squigs, but will leave them out of this list due to aestethics, what do you think?)

- some rockguts (I dont like the fellwater minis, ideas to convert them from rockguts?)

- any other ideas of trogg types? not existing ones, but for example how you envisage the ones that are hinted on the book, like those that use farting echolocation or belch darkness?

last but not the least, the problem is, how to do a minimally decent list with all the ideas above?  which endless spells to use, if any? No need to be very competitive, I like relaxed games and my gaming group is like this, but would like to have at least a slim chance at winning sometimes - my other army is BCR, so you can imagine... kkkkkkk

any help on the list or ideas for new Throgg types and converdions will be more than welcome! let's brainstorm!

cheers

AJ

2 hours ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

Hi, my fellow dank friends! 

I decided to jump the bandwagon and do a Throgg force for myself, and the plan is having it fully converted, even non-throgg units will be throgg like, with a swamp theme and lots of magic...

So the initial ideas are:

- using Alarielle's bettle with a Throgg on it as a webspinner shaman on araknarok

- mollog heavly converted as a Skragrott count as, the "Bogg King"

- using a Dankhold mounted on slimux snail for the Hag count as, on a proper base size

- various "squiggly beasts" - walking mushrooms, stalacsquigs, spiders, insects to count as battleline squigherders (love squigs, but will leave them out of this list due to aestethics, what do you think?)

- some rockguts (I dont like the fellwater minis, ideas to convert them from rockguts?)

- any other ideas of trogg types? not existing ones, but for example how you envisage the ones that are hinted on the book, like those that use farting echolocation or belch darkness?

last but not the least, the problem is, how to do a minimally decent list with all the ideas above?  which endless spells to use, if any? No need to be very competitive, I like relaxed games and my gaming group is like this, but would like to have at least a slim chance at winning sometimes - my other army is BCR, so you can imagine... kkkkkkk

any help on the list or ideas for new Throgg types and converdions will be more than welcome! let's brainstorm!

cheers

AJ

Been trying to figure out some conversion options myself. Mostly I'm just trying for alternatives to the Fellwaters and maybe adding bits to my other kits. The new Trogg and other Gitz stuff has a clean cartoony look to them, which jars with the older Trogg/Squig kits. Looking around at the other factions, many of don't work either - you can throw out most of Order; and Chaos and Death are often too serious or over detailed. Newer Nurgle stuff fits if you're going for the diseased look.

Having recently painted Alarielle, I think she'd work as a spider option

The Blood Bowl trolls (GW and FW) might be worth a look. There's lots of LOTR Trolls - but mostly metal and some require ebay. And there's the FW Bile Troggoths, but lets ignore them,

(also, I think you meant Trogg not Throgg..... )

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, a74xhx said:

The new Trogg and other Gitz stuff has a clean cartoony look to them, which jars with the older Trogg/Squig kits.

As someone who owns almost every single Orc, Goblin, and Troll model made for WFB since the early 90s I have to say that almost every iteration of models in these armies has been pretty cartoony.  They all seem to fit quite well in my opinion.

• Like 1

@Antonio Rodrigues that whole plan sounds incredible! Can't wait to see it start. This Trogg list could work for it....

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Pulverising Grip 
- Artefact: Rageblade 
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 

Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total: 1930 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 100

I think the gargants make it not that competitive but a bit more fun, with the Battalion it adds one to their damage on every 6 to wound with all if Rockguts and Troggboss,  one thing I can tell about my 2 games with Gloomspite it's people are scared of Troggs :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

I think the gargants make it not that competitive but a bit more fun, with the Battalion it adds one to their damage on every 6 to wound with all if Rockguts and Troggboss,  one thing I can tell about my 2 games with Gloomspite it's people are scared of Troggs :)

That Drunken Stagger rule, without it MAYBE they could be justified. They are just so bad with it and so expensive for what they don't do 😥 I'm taking one for throne of skulls but I don't expect it to be good...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

That Drunken Stagger rule, without it MAYBE they could be justified. They are just so bad with it and so expensive for what they don't do 😥 I'm taking one for throne of skulls but I don't expect it to be good...

Absolutely,  they tend to be amazing (sending 3d6 attacks with -1 rend at best into most things is scary AF) or absolutely rubbish (which unfortunately has been most of my experience with them previously). That can be very fun indeed when your playing at club to do that but I imagine quite frustrating in any kind of serious play, I imagine the best way to play the is like you said don't expect from them, that way when they are great it's a bonus. 

I put the Emerald Lifeswarm in the list to float around with the gargants and try and give them a but survivability in an army of regen, getting to go back up the potatoe chart mid fight seems like pretty cool way to go if it goes off

Edited by TeddyMadeMeDoIt
  • Like 1

This is the list i'm currently considering for a friendly tournament I've got coming up. 

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Pulverising Grip 
- Artefact: Rageblade 
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 

Fungoid Cave Shaman(90)
- Spell: Hand of Gork

Battleline
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)
1 x Dankhold Troggoth (220)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

TOTAL: 1970/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1

WOUNDS: 102

The main thing i'm trying to work out at the moment is whether or not to drop the Dankhold Troggoth and the Gargant in favour of more battleline units / more casters / Endless spells (Gloomsite Cauldron). 

@a74xhx Thanks for the ideas! will check those. And glad to hear that Aralielle may work... just bought the kit and it was very expensive... need to make it work... for my "Troggs"... 😉😊

@TeddyMadeMeDoIt liked the list, but I think I would change the 2 gargants for the araknarok shaman, as I said above I have already bought the big aralielle beetle for this... but I love gargants! so fun when their attacks hit like a truck! actually I have 8 of the buggers on my Ogor army...

Thank you all for the feedback, as soon as I start working on the minis will post some pics. In the meanwhile, if you were a miniatures designer, what kind of new trogg you would do? Flying troggoths? More rocky ones, even more hardskinned than rockguts? sea trolls? would like to hear some ideas from you guys...

cheers

AJ

8 hours ago, Snowl said:

Has anyone found any useful ally potential for a pure Troggoth army? The ally keywords seem pretty limited and don't seem to contain anything that syncs well.

Actually, this is something I would like to hear too from more experienced players... At 400pts each you can ally a bonegrinder gargant (big melee monster) or a rogue idol (good caster bonus), at 240 an orruk on a wyvern, or even cheap chariots or snotlings to work as cheap chaff...

cheers

AJ

18 minutes ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

Actually, this is something I would like to hear too from more experienced players... At 400pts each you can ally a bonegrinder gargant (big melee monster) or a rogue idol (good caster bonus), at 240 an orruk on a wyvern, or even cheap chariots or snotlings to work as cheap chaff...

cheers

AJ

Bonegrinder Gargants have the Gloomspite keyword - so they are part of the allegiance and not allies.  You could fill up all of your behemoth slots with them if you had enough points to do so.

The most useful ally is probably the Gitmob artillery while it is still in the game.  The Orc Warboss on Wyvern is not a bad choice for a stand-alone mobile character.  With a shield he can be surprisingly durable if you just need a decent monster/character that can operate on their own and capture objectives or hunt down choice targets.

The Rogue Idol is another nice choice that has some potential synergy (although not a whole lot with Trolls).

27 minutes ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

In the meanwhile, if you were a miniatures designer, what kind of new trogg you would do? Flying troggoths? More rocky ones, even more hardskinned than rockguts? sea trolls? would like to hear some ideas from you guys...

I always really enjoyed the concept that Trolls gradually take on the characteristics of what they commonly eat.  So Stone Trolls (Rockbiters now) lived in mountainous regions where their diet primarily consisted or rocks.  Fellwater trolls lived in swampy bogs where they eat lots of foul refuse, rotting flesh, fish, amphibians, etc.  Now the Dankhold eat fungus and wierd magic infused stuff that filters down to the deepest depths of the caves.

With AoS you can explore this idea with some really crazy landscapes and environments in the mortal realms.  What about Trolls that live in the realm of metal and eat lots of metal or crystal?  What about trolls from the realm of Fire that might eat magma, slag, ash, etc?  Maybe trolls that live in the realm of life and eat a lot of vegetation and trees?  I think there are a lot of interesting ideas there to explore.

• LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I always really enjoyed the concept that Trolls gradually take on the characteristics of what they commonly eat.  So Stone Trolls (Rockbiters now) lived in mountainous regions where their diet primarily consisted or rocks.  Fellwater trolls lived in swampy bogs where they eat lots of foul refuse, rotting flesh, fish, amphibians, etc.  Now the Dankhold eat fungus and wierd magic infused stuff that filters down to the deepest depths of the caves.

With AoS you can explore this idea with some really crazy landscapes and environments in the mortal realms.  What about Trolls that live in the realm of metal and eat lots of metal or crystal?  What about trolls from the realm of Fire that might eat magma, slag, ash, etc?  Maybe trolls that live in the realm of life and eat a lot of vegetation and trees?  I think there are a lot of interesting ideas there to explore.

That's EXACTLY what Im looking for, Skabnoze! I did not thought about the "dietary" options! GREAT ideas, my mind is already churning some concepts, like a crab trogg and a tree one... Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

That's EXACTLY what Im looking for, Skabnoze! I did not thought about the "dietary" options! GREAT ideas, my mind is already churning some concepts, like a crab trogg and a tree one... Thanks!

The thing to remember about Warhammer Trolls (both Old World and AoS) is that their primary fluff is that they are so amazingly stupid that they rightfully should have gone extinct.  The reason they have not is that their other common adaptations make them extremely resilient.  They are bigger than most things.  They have extreme abilities to regenerate.   And most importantly they can eat just about anything for nourishment and naturally adapt to their environment though their diet.  None of that fluff has ever really changed.  That is some pretty sparse background, but I think it is a good enough framework to allow for a whole lot of creativity.  I look forward to seeing how your project progresses!

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Maybe trolls that live in the realm of life and eat a lot of vegetation and trees?  I think there are a lot of interesting ideas there to explore.

As soon as i saw the new rockguts i thought about a Sylvaneth counts as with rockguts as kurnoth. 

They would be "forrest" troggs with branches and such. 

Thought it would be a fun and visually impressive project. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

As soon as i saw the new rockguts i thought about a Sylvaneth counts as with rockguts as kurnoth. 

They would be "forrest" troggs with branches and such. 

Thought it would be a fun and visually impressive project. 

oh damn... I already bought an Alarielle for the beetle... Dankhold for treemen, rockguts as kurnoth, a trogg riding the beetle for an Alarielle count as... oh my... kkkkkkk

10 hours ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

oh damn... I already bought an Alarielle for the beetle... Dankhold for treemen, rockguts as kurnoth, a trogg riding the beetle for an Alarielle count as... oh my... kkkkkkk

And then, buy some Rockguts, Dankhold, Spider etc and use them to make a Sylvaneth army......... :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Garamond said:

Honestly, the regular dankhold looks better than the boss model. What do you guys think?

I agree.  I will probably add some extra conversion bits to distinguish a boss a bit more - such as a dented metal crown or more overgrown with rocks/mushrooms. But to me the "Troggboss" build for the kit simply looks like an alternate normal Dankhold.

Your model looks great.  Very well painted!  👍

• Thanks 1