AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

7 minutes ago, Scythian said:

3 units of 9 Rockgut Troggoths

Why not 3 units of 6 and a unit of 9? Or is it just to lulz at your opponent.

The rockguts are such amazing kits. I've just finished my fellwater test model and am back to painting rockguts, so much more fun.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Pulverising Grip 
- Artefact: Rageblade 
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 

Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 76

Wanted to try something as Troggy as possible (with the minis I have).

Are we able to use  Troggboss?  Can't see anything that says no though I remember but can't find a few posts which would suggest otherwise.... 

1 hour ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

Wanted to try something as Troggy as possible (with the minis I have).

Are we able to use  Troggboss?  Can't see anything that says no though I remember but can't find a few posts which would suggest otherwise.... 

Why would you not be able to?

Finally played with my trolls in a small 750 point battle.  Things i learned...

Rock trolls and hordes dont mix...i think we know this but they need to get to armoured or big guys...hordes bring them down too easy and their armour piercing is wasted...

Fellwater are appealing...i see why some go with them over rock trolls.  I think both have their use but fellwayer feel easier to use.

Trolls are fragile.  Lots of points for few wounds and soft saves...the rockguts can get on a roll with the 5+ but still have to be wary of high attack opponents.

I went offensive on my trollboss (mightyblow and ghyrestrike).  Getting double turned got him killed as he didnt get to regenerate.  I think I will try a little more defensive next time.  I think he is best against a monster...they get weaker and he doesnt....and dishing out 9-12 wounds a turn ( i could have rolled better) he makes things die.

Pure troll is hard...you dont hold objectives well and you arent as tough as you want them to be.  That said, they were super fun and i think with some squig or goblin screens and some magic i will be able to do better.  Also need to pick your battles....they are more finesse then they feel they should be..

Im stepping up to 1000 and the hag joins the army...looling forward to it...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

What could be a semi effective Troggs + Squigs list? Thoughts?

I think a boss on squig to get the +3 to movement and some squig herds would fit in nicely with trolls.  Gives you some models to hold objectives and screen your trolls from scary charges...yet still effective on their own.  Havent done a full list yet...

• Like 1

This is my list for 1k that I have been running.

Troggboss  (300)

Pulverising Grip

Glowy Howzit

Madcap Shaman (80)

The Hand of Gork

3  Fellwater (160)

3 Fellwater (160)

3 Rockgut (160)

20 Shootas (130)

990/100

I have a tournament coming up in one week any ideas to make it better would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Edited by Frozenorc

2 hours ago, basement dweller said:

I think a boss on squig to get the +3 to movement and some squig herds would fit in nicely with trolls.  Gives you some models to hold objectives and screen your trolls from scary charges...yet still effective on their own.  Havent done a full list yet...

Yeah thats what im thinking. Im trying to come up with something

7 minutes ago, Frozenorc said:

Troggboss  (300)

Pulverising Grip

Glowy Howzit

Madcap Shaman (80)

The Hand of Gork

3  Fellwater (160)

3 Fellwater (160)

3 Rockgut (160)

20 Shootas (130)

990/100

I have a tournament coming up in one week any ideas to make it better would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

How've you been finding it? Maybe put the two units of fellwaters together for the hand of Gork. Really depends on how you've been playing it.

10 minutes ago, Malakree said:

How've you been finding it? Maybe put the two units of fellwaters together for the hand of Gork. Really depends on how you've been playing it.

They have done good I use Hand of Gork on the Rockguts with their 12” shooting attack it’s pretty good, I haven’t thought of using it on the Fellwater. 

4 hours ago, Frozenorc said:

Troggboss  (300)

Pulverising Grip

Glowy Howzit

Madcap Shaman (80)

The Hand of Gork

3  Fellwater (160)

3 Fellwater (160)

3 Rockgut (160)

20 Shootas (130)

990/100

Thanks.

You could upgrade the Madcap to a Fungoid Cave-shaman.  Unless you prefer the Madcap's spell, The Fungoid is just better for 10 points more.

There's a few trogg lists doing well at heat 1, one was on table 2 earlier.

Something like this.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
Troggoth Hag (380)

Battleline

Units
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
1 x Dankhold Troggoths (220)
1 x Dankhold Troggoths (220)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 96

Apparently they hit like trucks.

On 3/2/2019 at 12:01 AM, Malakree said:

Why would you not be able to?

Sorry I didn't make that clear at all, I meant the second Troggboss, are we able to run 2 Troggboss in a list?

I recall reading something somewhere that sounded like not although it could have been been that it wasn't recommended 

Building on that list above and thinking all monsters....

_20190303_155200.JPG

I like that Boss, 12 Troggs, and 2 aleguzzler giants doing extra damage on 6s

Edited by TeddyMadeMeDoIt

47 minutes ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

Sorry I didn't make that clear at all, I meant the second Troggboss, are we able to run 2 Troggboss in a list?

I recall reading something somewhere that sounded like not although it could have been been that it wasn't recommended

You can, it's not unique, just can't put more than one in a troggherd. Same with the hag.

27 minutes ago, Malakree said:

You can, it's not unique, just can't put more than one in a troggherd. Same with the hag.

Why can't you put more than one Hag in a Troggherd?  She fits the Fellwater Troggoth criteria and isn't unique, so in theory you could take multiples.

Also, has anyone considered taking the Bonegrinder Giant in a Troggherd?  The thought of A Trogboss, Hag and Bonegrinder all together is sort of appealing.  It's 1080 points, but that leaves plenty for your battleline.

21 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Why can't you put more than one Hag in a Troggherd?  She fits the Fellwater Troggoth criteria and isn't unique, so in theory you could take multiples.

Sorry, you can't put ANY hags in a troggherd. Since the battalion doesn't use keyword bold the units in it have to have the exact warscroll name not the correct keywords.

1 minute ago, Malakree said:

Sorry, you can't put ANY hags in a troggherd. Since the battalion doesn't use keyword bold the units in it have to have the exact warscroll name not the correct keywords.

Thanks, forgot about the bold thing.  That means no Bonegrinder in the Battalion either - oh well.  At least they can both be in the army, so all is not lost.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Thanks, forgot about the bold thing.  That means no Bonegrinder in the Battalion either - oh well.  At least they can both be in the army, so all is not lost.

Talked to the trogg player, he was saying about how amazing the rockguts in troggherd were. Apparently 2 of them shredded a vlozd in one turn.

Honestly gloomspite had a solid showing despite them being more fluff lists. One of the comments made was that they are way more technical than other new armies.

I can easily see a tournament winning gloomspite list once people get then painted/get good with them.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I can easily see a tournament winning gloomspite list once people get then painted/get good with them.

To be honest, any of the last half dozen or so Battletomes are capable of tournament-winning lists, steered by the right General, and I agree that the Gitz are no exception.  Given the scarcity of models at the moment and the amount of painting required, it might be a while before we see one though.  Good to hear that Rockguts are performing well (having just painted my first three), although 2 taking down a VLOZD seems like a feat that won't occur very often ( great fun when it does!).

As all of my Grots are Gitmob, I will have to content myself with mixed Destruction armies while I build a Troggherd.  Not sure I want to paint another horde of Grots at the moment - just re-based 80 Gitmob (the rest can wait) :).

23 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

As all of my Grots are Gitmob, I will have to content myself with mixed Destruction armies while I build a Troggherd.  Not sure I want to paint another horde of Grots at the moment - just re-based 80 Gitmob (the rest can wait) :).

I've got ~25 shooters and ~60 stabbas to paint. I have my 20 gitmob archers with another 40 to paint that I intend to use as shootas.