AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

12 hours ago, Goose madness said:

This is the list I will try out:

I think it can be fun and hit hard!

I think it could be too many Dankholds, the endless spells we have available should be put to use, especially our low model count which will more then likely face hordes, Im building something very similar.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
Troggoth Hag (380)

Battleline
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

Alright so the differences, Loonskin or might blow, well we want to keep our general alive for the most part, I will really need to try both but the option is either potentially huge damage which you could roll regardless (but I will need to play him first because those rerolls could be vital) or being healed extra and generating extra CP anywhere on the map. In addition the Fungoid Cave Sharman can also produce more CP, for charge rolls or perhaps saving our battleline from battleshock.

Now the big one, endless spells, cogs make our boys a bit quicker, which they sorely need. The mushroom will destroy hordes which should be auto include and the Cauldron is the Hags, having access to all those spells is a huge boon, including the fact that the Cauldron also effectively increases the Hags base size, a blessing and a curse sure, but her presence is much bigger.

My strat is turn one have a Sharman cast the Cogs and the Hag cast the Cauldron. Second turn Hand of Gork her into the enemy backlines. Place her next to whatever we want dead because she just got a lot of options, cast the Mighty Mushroom and know it will be in range, and her missile weapon is 10", so you should be in range to snipe something dead. The cogs help her charge and the Cauldron gives her extra length, forcing the opponent to deal with that huge blob of a problem which probably wont die.

The rest should go smoothly, depending on how I go for objectives I may split the Fellwater into two units to hold objectives or just sit 3 next to the general for 'look out sir'. Very excited to try them out.

2 hours ago, Batch said:

My strat is turn one have a Sharman cast the Cogs and the Hag cast the Cauldron. Second turn Hand of Gork her into the enemy backlines. Place her next to whatever we want dead because she just got a lot of options, cast the Mighty Mushroom and know it will be in range, and her missile weapon is 10", so you should be in range to snipe something dead. The cogs help her charge and the Cauldron gives her extra length, forcing the opponent to deal with that huge blob of a problem which probably wont die.

Have a shaman cast cogs

Get her to manipulate it, decreasing time for the second spell/rr saves.

Have the second shaman cast hand of Gork on her, placing her 9" from an enemy.

Hag casts arachnocauldron, place it 1" away from her facing longways towards the enemy.

Use the edge of the cauldron as the origin of her shooting and second spell.

Have ~6" charge, with reroll from a cp.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

Have a shaman cast cogs

Get her to manipulate it, decreasing time for the second spell/rr saves.

Have the second shaman cast hand of Gork on her, placing her 9" from an enemy.

Hag casts arachnocauldron, place it 1" away from her facing longways towards the enemy.

Use the edge of the cauldron as the origin of her shooting and second spell.

Have ~6" charge, with reroll from a cp.

I like this for the shooting attack but the Hag doesnt get a second spell in the same turn, and I want to drop that big shroom before all the hordes start running away.

10 hours ago, Batch said:

I like this for the shooting attack but the Hag doesnt get a second spell in the same turn, and I want to drop that big shroom before all the hordes start running away.

If you slow down time on the cogs she gets a second spell and reroll saves for that turn.

Hey all, I'm trying to decide between two lists. First is one that I thought up, very heavy on troggs, likely not very competitive.

Spoiler

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Tough as Rocks
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Artefact: Hypersnare Seeds

Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)

Other
2 x Dankhold Troggoths (440)

Warscroll Battalions

Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells
Suffocating Gravetide (30)

Or this list, that I borrowed some models from my friend (who's been playing Moonclan since WHFB) to try out earlier today.

Spoiler

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
Loonboss on Mangler Squig (300)

Battleline
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Gong
- Standard Bearer
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Gong
- Standard Bearer

The more I think it over, the more I start to like the 2nd list more. It's still very troggy, but it has enough "boots" on the ground to actually weather some hits and make it to objectives.

Has anyone seen any good alt models for the Troggoth Hag?

I'd like the give the FW a go but there two very big saggy obvious reasons I don't like that mini (I tend to play AoS with my kids so...). I could sculpt over it to make some kind cloth cover, the Troggoths all,cover their junk with the same thing but before I go and buy it I'd like to see if anyone's doing anything else?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

I'd like the give the FW a go but there two very big saggy obvious reasons I don't like that mini (I tend to play AoS with my kids so...).

I can totally get not liking that mini, but in my experience kids are a lot less likely to make a fuss about stuff like that than adults. To them, it's likely just gonna be *shrugs*.

1 hour ago, Mutter said:

I can totally get not liking that mini, but in my experience kids are a lot less likely to make a fuss about stuff like that than adults. To them, it's likely just gonna be *shrugs*.

Haha, very true indeed! 

Although I must add my 5 year olds favourite mini are the rockguts for no other reason than their bums are showing 😂😂

Edited by TeddyMadeMeDoIt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So having properly slept on the Slaughter results it does give one interesting thought. With how prevelant the different types of MW output are it really skyrockets the Rockgut save vs the Fellwater -hit.

2 hours ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

Although I must add my 5 year olds favourite mini are the rockguts for no other reason than their bums are showing 😂😂

Has he seen the dankhold yet ;)

On 2/20/2019 at 8:57 PM, Malakree said:

I'm hoping I can get a 2k gloomspite force together for the throne of skulls. So far it's looking like 

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Moonface Mommet 
Mollog (170)

Battleline
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
20 x Shootas (130)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
Colossal Squig (300)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 112

Got 6 fellwaters and 2 rockguts to do in a month.

I don't know why, but I really like this list.  I have to say that I am surprised to see you make a list with a Giant in it - but I approve!

Is this list mainly the models that you have on-hand or is there deeper strategy in the list composition?  I am interested to hear more.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:31 PM, basement dweller said:

How about the shootas?  Home objective holders?  It seems the internet hates the shootas so interested in your take...i like the idea that my cheap obejective holding models can shoot...

The internet hates all sorts of things.

Shootas seem like a fine, if not exciting, choice in a number of circumstances.  If you are fielding small units of grots then I would probably always go with shootas since the cost is the same.  And if the main use of a unit is to go camp on an objective then you might as well go for Shootas as well.  They won't usually do a whole lot with the bows, but they may on occasion  be of good use.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2019 at 12:36 PM, basement dweller said:

And i thought you had crazy, strategic pland for those models...lol...

Totally fair....ive been wanting to try a giant out as i have one painted...and think he might be a solid value for his potential...despite being unreliable...

Giants are one of those love or hate units.  People are pretty divided over the guy and not many people seem to be in the middle.  I really like the Giant and for his cost I think his negatives are not as bad as people claim.  But that is simply my opinion.  I would recommend trying him out in a couple of games and then deciding if you like him or not.  If you already have one painted then it should be easy.

Just now, Skabnoze said:

Giants are one of those love or hate units.  People are pretty divided over the guy and not many people seem to be in the middle.  I really like the Giant and for his cost I think his negatives are not as bad as people claim.  But that is simply my opinion.  I would recommend trying him out in a couple of games and then deciding if you like him or not.  If you already have one painted then it should be easy.

I have one painted and he has been on my beasts of chaos list a few times (a painted old metal one rebased).  I think for his points he does fine....so whiffs and some good games...just like lots of units for this points cost.  Of course you get to whip the chaos one which is nice....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

The internet hates all sorts of things.

Shootas seem like a fine, if not exciting, choice in a number of circumstances.  If you are fielding small units of grots then I would probably always go with shootas since the cost is the same.  And if the main use of a unit is to go camp on an objective then you might as well go for Shootas as well.  They won't usually do a whole lot with the bows, but they may on occasion  be of good use.

Another case where i have models painted so might as well try them out....your opinion is appreciated...

Just now, basement dweller said:

I have one painted and he has been on my beasts of chaos list a few times (a painted old metal one rebased).  I think for his points he does fine....so whiffs and some good games...just like lots of units for this points cost.  Of course you get to whip the chaos one which is nice....

He packs a whole lot of offense into a fairly small base size also.  I think that is something that should not be overlooked.  It means you have some interesting options into how you can use him.  You can potentially position him in places where he is shielded by other units from most charges but can still pile in and attack to assist units.  Or you can just throw him out as bait.  While his attacks are variable he is offensive enough that he cannot be ignored and cheap enough that he can be sacrificed.

4 minutes ago, basement dweller said:

Another case where i have models painted so might as well try them out....your opinion is appreciated...

Sure thing.

To elaborate a bit more, Stabbas units with pokin-spears are easily the clear choice if you are planning to use your grot units offensively.  If you want grots to fight and kill things then you need weight of attacks and pokin-spears can fight 3 models deep - which allows you to fight with bigger units.  But grots in general are terrible in a fight until you lean into the build and start dropping buffs all over them (those buffs can change things immensely).  So, if you are not building around buffing grots units, and you are not looking to field max size units where the cost discount for stabbas vs shootas matters, then the units are fairly interchangeable.  The shootas are slightly worse in a fight, but also have bows (which are fairly terrible).  But even though the bows are fairly bad and unlikely to do much, I would still rather have them on a unit that is not really intended to get into a fight much or is included for the purpose of chaff.  

44 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Sure thing.

To elaborate a bit more, Stabbas units with pokin-spears are easily the clear choice if you are planning to use your grot units offensively.  If you want grots to fight and kill things then you need weight of attacks and pokin-spears can fight 3 models deep - which allows you to fight with bigger units.  But grots in general are terrible in a fight until you lean into the build and start dropping buffs all over them (those buffs can change things immensely).  So, if you are not building around buffing grots units, and you are not looking to field max size units where the cost discount for stabbas vs shootas matters, then the units are fairly interchangeable.  The shootas are slightly worse in a fight, but also have bows (which are fairly terrible).  But even though the bows are fairly bad and unlikely to do much, I would still rather have them on a unit that is not really intended to get into a fight much or is included for

Thank you sir.  Ive been using spiders up to this point so have gotten used to rolling dice for no reason for my bows.  That said, i did for wounds to kill a treelord last game....so somethings those extra wounds add up...

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

I don't know why, but I really like this list.  I have to say that I am surprised to see you make a list with a Giant in it - but I approve!

Is this list mainly the models that you have on-hand or is there deeper strategy in the list composition?  I am interested to hear more.

If that list the only things not painted are 2 Rockford and 5.5 fellwaters. Given that I also have heat 1 next weekend in short on time to invest.

While I still think the giant is worse than 3 fellwaters of I'm running a troggherd he comes out slightly ahead of the rockguts in benefiting from it, iirc. Not to mention since its a throne of skullz I'm not going to be taking a 100% optimum list and instead going for something fun.

I'm also tempted to try and squeeze the other 2 endless spells and another madcap shaman in. Go nuts with something stupid like this.

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Mollog (170)
Madcap Shaman (80)
Madcap Shaman (80)

Battleline
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
Colossal Squig (300)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells
Malevolent Moon (50)
Scuttletide (30)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 96

To many things I want to test QQ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

If that list the only things not painted are 2 Rockford and 5.5 fellwaters. Given that I also have heat 1 next weekend in short on time to invest.

While I still think the giant is worse than 3 fellwaters of I'm running a troggherd he comes out slightly ahead of the rockguts in benefiting from it, iirc. Not to mention since its a throne of skullz I'm not going to be taking a 100% optimum list and instead going for something fun.

All fair points.  As I mentioned a while back I quite like that Giants can be included in the Troggherd.  If nothing else, it is nice to have a battalion that the Giant can be included in and that also synergizes with him.  I realize many people dislike the giant and so that is going to influence their opinion on using him in the Trogggerd.  Fellwater are the obvious unit with the most synergy in the battalion since to take advantage of the bonus requires weight of attacks.  But, with average to above-average rolling the Giant comes out as the next unit with the most synergy for the battalion bonus. 

I don't think that synergy really offsets or gets rid of the negatives that cause many people to dislike the giant and so it won't make him a compelling choice for those who already don't like him.  But it is a nice and fun bonus for people who do like to use him.  I think that is a good thing and I would like to see more models like this added to battalions in 0-N values.  That way they are not required and viewed as a tax by most people, but they become nice alternate choices and have some small bonus for people who like to use those models.

On a side note, one of the things I am a bit sad about in the Gloomspite book is that there is not really a battalion for Squig Herds.  They have 0-2 allowances in the Moonclan Skrap and Squigalanche mega-battalions, but nothing where they are really featured.  I would have liked a battalion similar to the Skulkmob Horde or Squig Rider Stampede but for Squig Herds.  It's a minor gripe though.

• Like 1

Speaking of Troggs... (I mean, i know that's what this thread is about, but I'm looking for a segway here)

Fellwater Troggs are back up on the GW site (at least in the US, and at least a few hours ago when i ordered some). So get your smelly slimy water-gitz while you can.

4 hours ago, laughingpeluso said:

Hey guys! I'm looking to start a Troggoth centered army but don't know where to start. It would be awesome if anyone could share some standard Troggoth lists for 1k and 2k. Any info would be helpful aswell! 

Hey friend, so Im currently building this

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
Troggoth Hag (380)

Battleline

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 108

Of course if you dont want to build the Hag you can invest in another unit of 6 Fellwaters, both variations of Troggs are good for different jobs, so running both seems balanced. But honestly if you want to get a feel for what youre building buy a Dankboss and a unit of Rockguts and Fellwaters.

Build them, paint them and see how you feel. All of those are staples to any Trogg army. The wizards are for extra utility and to move a unit of Troggs on the fly if necessary.