Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malakree

AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Recommended Posts

Thank you all for your help! Already started to convert. When i have something worth showing i will post a wip. It will be a rather work heavy greenstuff projekt ("****** enlarge").

Concerning the guts - i thought leaving them as is would be nice to show the  troll regeneration in progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So yes you can totally do it however when someone sees it on the table they should be able to tell it's converted and not just proxied.

On a side note, this should be the goal of the majority of conversions.  Almost every well-done conversion that I have ever made or seen from others effectively conveys the core concept of what it is supposed to be to the viewer.

The highest praise for any conversion is when someone not well versed in an army or the models looks at your conversion along with the rest of your force and cannot tell that it is not a stock model and also that it does not necessarily belong with the rest of the force.  The second best praise is when those who are very familiar with the game can tell at a simple glance what your creation represents.  There is a staggeringly large amount of room within those goals for artistic interpretations.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i am in a slow grow league and we are up to 1000 points next month.  I am going to run an 8 model troll list that was suggested on these forums for fun...

Troggboss

3 rockguts

3 fellwater

Troggoth Hag

 

I was originally going to run the mighty blow command trait and Ghyrstrike on the boss to make him as killy as possible.   As lossing models will be more killer for this list as i only have 8 models, i was wondering if i should go for a more defensive artefact.  Just wondering what people think and how worried should I be about people killing my Hag too soon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, basement dweller said:

So i am in a slow grow league and we are up to 1000 points next month.  I am going to run an 8 model troll list that was suggested on these forums for fun...

Troggboss

3 rockguts

3 fellwater

Troggoth Hag

 

I was originally going to run the mighty blow command trait and Ghyrstrike on the boss to make him as killy as possible.   As lossing models will be more killer for this list as i only have 8 models, i was wondering if i should go for a more defensive artefact.  Just wondering what people think and how worried should I be about people killing my Hag too soon...

The hag is ridiculously hard to kill. If be more worried about losing the troggboss. If still go killy on him, you need to cut down your opponents model counts to score anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Malakree said:

The hag is ridiculously hard to kill. If be more worried about losing the troggboss. If still go killy on him, you need to cut down your opponents model counts to score anything.

Thank you.  I agree....i dont have the models to take objectives and i so need to remove as many as i can as fast as i can.  Ive been playing all spiders to this point and will enjoy something completely different....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's not the most reliable artifact in the world, but the Glowy Howzit can potentially be amazing. In one game it managed to deflect 12+ mortal wounds. Of course, you never know when you'll roll that 1, but hell, a 4+ after save is nothing to dismiss. I've found you want to make your Troggboss tougher, rather than killier. He's better as a big, decent support beatstick, and he's fairly squishy without some protection. He probably doesn't gain as much from offensive artifacts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mutton said:

I know it's not the most reliable artifact in the world, but the Glowy Howzit can potentially be amazing. In one game it managed to deflect 12+ mortal wounds. Of course, you never know when you'll roll that 1, but hell, a 4+ after save is nothing to dismiss. I've found you want to make your Troggboss tougher, rather than killier. He's better as a big, decent support beatstick, and he's fairly squishy without some protection. He probably doesn't gain as much from offensive artifacts.

I agree with you for troggbosses who don't have access to command traits. I think the traits let you really make use of the offensive artefacts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warscroll Builder is allowing Troggoth battleline when setting Mollog or Troggoth Hag as your general. I assume this is incorrect, given that the battletome states "Dankhold Troggboss general", which neither Mollog or the Hag are.

Further to that - I'm assuming no one would consider making either Mollog or the Hag their general? I can't see any benefit in doing so. Mollog is named and none of the command traits fit on the Hag.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First unit done. This was only ment to be allies for my Ironjawz. But now I think I might to have an entire throgg army :)

52498739_291272694898804_5003226292376567808_n.jpg

52415997_239703883601820_6217691208001519616_n.jpg

  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Thenord said:

First unit done. This was only ment to be allies for my Ironjawz. But now I think I might to have an entire throgg army :)

52498739_291272694898804_5003226292376567808_n.jpg

52415997_239703883601820_6217691208001519616_n.jpg

Lol, dude, stop!! You’re making me want to crawl back into a painting shell! My God, those models are incredible! Shroomnose is jealous!

0F7572A0-3BEE-41D2-A060-2AA3C11C63E5.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally finished my rockgut test model.

Next is my fellwater test model then 5 more of each!

FB_IMG_1550690112368.jpg

FB_IMG_1550690118792.jpg

FB_IMG_1550690124132.jpg

  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 9:10 AM, basement dweller said:

I was originally going to run the mighty blow command trait and Ghyrstrike on the boss to make him as killy as possible.   As lossing models will be more killer for this list as i only have 8 models, i was wondering if i should go for a more defensive artefact.  Just wondering what people think and how worried should I be about people killing my Hag too soon...

I guess that depends what kind of oppositions you're expecting.  I've been using the dankhold troggboss with ghyrstrike a few times now and the friend I played against doesn't like it very much after a few games. played against fyreslayers, beasts of chaos and sylvaneth/wanderers. 

The fyreslayers was a ~850 pt battle and it ended with me losing 3 fellwater troggoths and him losing his entire army by the end of turn 3.  I used a defensive artifact on the throggboss but in the end he didn't need it.

Against the wanderers/sylvaneth I used the same list you have except I switched one group of rockguts for fellwaters. My friend was set on killing the hag asap and he succeeded in doing so yet this time I had given ghyrstrike to the boss and as the hag fell he reached the main meat of my foes army and absolutely laid waste to it. As his main killing power had gone down killing my hag he didn't have enough guys left to destroy the dankhold. (also used the loonskin trait which worked wonders). 

Against the BoC I used him as an ally in a 2000pt Ironjawz list and yet again gave him the Ghyrstrike, we played The Better Part of Valor mission and I got first turn, using my mawkrusha and goregruntas I flanked his right objective and managed to take it and  ended burning down all four I controlled for four points to force him into a defensive position. The Troggboss walked up the middle of the field  surrounded by some ardboyz for the look out sir. 
My opponent decided to charge the boss with a group of dragon ogres, they managed to put three wounds on the guy,  yet his squigly beast follower managed to already put a mortal wound on them and using ghyrstrike he managed to inflict 9 more wounds, enough to kill two out of three guys. After this I rolled a 6 on crushing grip and we laughed about how awesome it would be to see a troggboss grab the head of a perfectly healthy dragon ogre and reduce it to naught but a fine mash of blood, brains and small pieces of cracked skull in a single squeeze. He won the double turn and ended up charging his cygor into my troggboss hoping to hold it down and to prevent it from reaching his chaf holding one of the last two objectives.  The cygor is pretty weak and only managed to put two more wounds on the boss, and one of the strongest parts of the throggboss is that he doesn't weaken from losing wounds. In retaliation the cygor got dealt 7 wounds that turn weakening it.  In the next turn the cygor dealt another two wounds against the boss yet when it was time to strike back the boss managed to deal a whooping 12 wounds after saves slaming the cygor into the dust.  In my turn 3 a group of ardboys and the warchanter managed to kill most of the chaf guarding his objective and burned it down for 5 points. This forced my opponent to hold on to his last objective until turn 5 (in which he could burn it for 8 points) to win. In the end the boss also ended up killing a lonely bray shaman as he was to far away and to slow to reach my friend's last stand in the left corner. In the end I took the last objective before the end of turn 5 and burned it for a major victory. 

Lumbering Dagr:
tAIm3DG.jpg

dPGsGV2.jpgmollog but he isn't finished yet:
q8t7ZKz.jpg

Edited by Warfiend
adding img
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Warfiend said:

I guess that depends what kind of oppositions you're expecting.  I've been using the dankhold troggboss with ghyrstrike a few times now and the friend I played against doesn't like it very much after a few games. played against fyreslayers, beasts of chaos and sylvaneth/wanderers. 

 

Thank you sir...thats some good context.  I will be ready for March with 1000 points of trolls and hoping they are fun to play and give me a chance to win some games....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, basement dweller said:

Thank you sir...thats some good context.  I will be ready for March with 1000 points of trolls and hoping they are fun to play and give me a chance to win some games....

I'm hoping I can get a 2k gloomspite force together for the throne of skulls. So far it's looking like 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Moonface Mommet 
Mollog (170)

Battleline
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
20 x Shootas (130)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
Colossal Squig (300)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112
 

Got 6 fellwaters and 2 rockguts to do in a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new list to try. 

 

 

BA636D8E-BA17-489F-B8B7-88EA83E29A43.png

89F310A5-B8A3-4AAC-A245-A9E52D86DFC2.png

Edited by Scythian
Name on list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I'm hoping I can get a 2k gloomspite force together for the throne of skulls. So far it's looking like 

So i like a lot of thinga about this list but have some questions:

What spells for your 2 casters?  I assume hand of gork for one...

What role do you see for mollog and the giant?  It seems like some more goblins to recyle and hold objectives might be useful...of course id prefer the 2 big guys from a troll list perspective  but wanted to ask the question.

How about the shootas?  Home objective holders?  It seems the internet hates the shootas so interested in your take...i like the idea that my cheap obejective holding models can shoot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wip on my Troggboss. Such a fun model!

Edit: the Glowy howzit, do you have to roll the saves one at a time?

20190218_232843.jpg

Edited by Mikeymajq
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikeymajq said:

Wip on my Troggboss. Such a fun model!

Nice colour-scheme, I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mutter said:

Nice colour-scheme, I like it.

I was gonna do that awesone blue/purple-ish from Duncans tutorial, but I had already basecoated him in a warmer bone white/biege and I didn't feel like painting it over with gray D:

Plus I finally got more use out of my orange wash. 

Had a fun idea for a concept when doing those barnacle-like mushrooms. A Troggoth army rising from the sea after the bad moon has hovered over it, crushing an Idoneth deepkin settlement on their way up. Like a "coral reef" coming to life 😅

Edited by Mikeymajq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

Edit: the Glowy howzit, do you have to roll the saves one at a time?

Thats how I do it. Makes the most sense and its fun too. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, basement dweller said:

So i like a lot of thinga about this list but have some questions:

What spells for your 2 casters?  I assume hand of gork for one...

What role do you see for mollog and the giant?  It seems like some more goblins to recyle and hold objectives might be useful...of course id prefer the 2 big guys from a troll list perspective  but wanted to ask the question.

How about the shootas?  Home objective holders?  It seems the internet hates the shootas so interested in your take...i like the idea that my cheap obejective holding models can shoot...

A large part is what I have painted haha.

For the shooters yep that's exactly how I would use them.

So yeah sorry there's not more nuance to the list, it's about minimising what I have to paint...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of overall general damage, it seems like Mighty Blow + Ghyrstrike appears to be the most popular option. As I said before, even without Ghyrstrike I watched a dankboss wipe out an Exalted Keeper of Secrets instantly. He easily becomes the level of Durthu if not more, because he is practically impossible to pick off with spells or shooting (especially with Nightshroud) and the fact that Durthu constantly needs topping up to maintain his 6 damage attacks.

The alternative (against elite armies only) would be granting him additional attacks, although I think this works better in a Destruction army where he can get Wild Fury for up to 4 grip attacks (with Ghyra/ Rage blade). Even then you could swap it from his fist to his club before battle and pound something with 7 club attacks which is still amazing. Or just pick his club each combat phase and go nuts with 6 club attacks (he will be getting those 3 wounds, and if your opponent chooses not to damage him to prevent the extra attack then so be it).

Another is Loonskin + whatever flavor of artifact you want to rake in those command points.

Then the 'wade into the middle of it' dankboss with Tough as Rocks and Glowy Howzit or Charm, or whatever durability item you want. I do like Howzit as just one phase where you have to roll 12 after saves will save him from an alpha strike etc. You will roll a 1, but I think it's difficult to poke him in order to try and trigger it prematurely, given his spell shield and look out sir! So a critical turn of a 4+ shrug save is spicy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Malakree said:

A large part is what I have painted haha.

For the shooters yep that's exactly how I would use them.

So yeah sorry there's not more nuance to the list, it's about minimising what I have to paint...

And i thought you had crazy, strategic pland for those models...lol...

Totally fair....ive been wanting to try a giant out as i have one painted...and think he might be a solid value for his potential...despite being unreliable...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, basement dweller said:

And i thought you had crazy, strategic pland for those models...lol...

Totally fair....ive been wanting to try a giant out as i have one painted...and think he might be a solid value for his potential...despite being unreliable...

To be fair if I were going to shift it over into a "real" list the bits I would drop would be the Colossal Squig and endless spells, maybe shift over to stabbas instead of shootas and add in 3 more rockguts. Realistically I would then drop the Gargant and add another 6 Fellwater to give 1,740 with 260 points spare which would probably go on 20 stabbas and putting the 20 shootas back in. 

Quote

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Madcap Shaman (80)

Battleline
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
20 x Stabbas (130)
20 x Stabbas (130)
20 x Shootas (130)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 152

It's a little dependent on the singular Troggboss but he's actually pretty hard to strip off. I'd have to play around with offensive/defensive options for him though. Possibly even go full ham, put the 2 units of Fellwaters together and then Hand of Gork 12 of them into my opponent turn 1 :D although doing that I think I'd want to go 9 Fellwaters and 3 Rockguts instead of 12 Fellwaters.

That's the one thing that might sway me towards the Gargant, at 160 points in a Troggherd he's a FANTASTIC model to hand of gork. Only better one would be a Dankhold and those extra 60 points are painful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the list I will try out:

 

Quote
Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Troggoth Hag (380)

Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)

Units
1 x Dankhold Troggoths (220)
1 x Dankhold Troggoths (220)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112

I think it can be fun and hit hard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×