AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

13 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

Hey guys, 

How the ability Throwin'Boulder of Rockgut works. 

Do I roll one dice for every model? 

So with 3 Rockgut I throw 3 dices? 

And, do I have to count my models or the models in the target unit? 

A unit of 3 trolls needs a 1, 2 or 3 to hit. You roll 1 dice.

Edited by Knight Scáthach of Fimm
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

Hey guys, 

You roll 1 dice for the whole unit, and the more models you have the better your odds are to inflict that d3 of mortal wounds. 

So 2 units with 3 models have both 50% of inflicting d3. 

Or, 1 unit with 6 models guarantees d3 mortal wounds 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DestructionFranz said:

Hey guys, 

You roll 1 dice for the rockgut unit.

It needs to be equal or less than the number of ROCKGUTS in the rockgut unit.

Ie. A unit of 3 rockguts deals d3 mortals on a 1-3. A unit of 6 rockguts deals d3 mortals on a 1-6 (So it's automatic for a unit of 6+ rockguts)

Edit: Rekt by the page break 🤣

Edited by Malakree
  • Thanks 1

How are people kitting out their Dankhold Troggboss?

The list I have planned is as follows so I feel keeping him alive as long as possible is the best option. Trolls look like they can do damage themselves so I thought taking them in big numbers would be best. Loonskin seems very useful as a trait and I'm in two minds what to add on to him Ghyrstrike seems very good for some offensive output but I'm not sure I need it considering the number of bodies so maybe going completely defensive and taking the Gryphfeather charm or similar could be best.

• Dankhold Troggboss - General - Loonskin & ?????
  • Fungoid Cave Shaman - Itchy Nuisance 
  • Fungoid Cave Shaman - Hand of Gork 
  • Endless Spell - Morks Mighty Mushroom
  • 6 Rockgut Troggoths
  • 6 Rockgut Troggoths
  • 6 Rockgut Troggoths
  • 3 Fellwater Troggoths
  • 3 Fellwater Troggoths
  • 3 Fellwater Troggoths

I'm not seeing a whole lot of use for the battalion considering the point and more Troggoths = better?

@Clanger yeah, I like Gryph-feather on him. That plus look out sir (since he is not a behemoth) makes him - 2 to hit for shooting. I play him as a support role mainly anyway (buffing the troll battlelines).

But Ghyrstrike is so tempting... 2+/2+ 😍

Iv also though about the artifact that gives a bravery buff (can't recall the name). Would effectively give +2 to bravery... Would help against the FEC type of bravery attacks. 

• Like 1

@Clanger @Calebexnihilo

Personally I've gone with the shiney wot not. Mainly because that vortex is so damn brutal if they get it off. I realise it's not a great counter but if it goes off it saves a massive amount of damage across your entire army.

Add in how heavy the magic phase is right now and I feel it's a pretty solid choice which meshes well with his innate 4+ to ignore spells.

Fits well with loonskin and a more support role.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

Hello all. I recently got some trolls built and was able to make a strange list that I think may do ok. 

Dankhold Trogboss as general

Madcap shaman with cogs

2 Dankhold Troggoths

3 units of 3 Rockgut Troggoths

4 Aleguzzler Gargants.

I know the gargants aren't technically trolls but I think they fit in anyway. While they arent the most reliable they can do some crazy stuff and I have 5 that dont get used enough.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

16 hours ago, cranect said:

It certain looks fun. I just have gargants cause they look cool so I wanted to make some lists to see how many would fit.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General

Battleline
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

Units
1 x Dankhold Troggoths (220)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 102

Doesn't have the 4 gargants but gets an extra dankhold instead. Plus it's a 1drop hahaha

Edit: Oh and for anyone wondering.

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General

Battleline

Units

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 100

5 dankholds is the max in a 2k troggherd!

Edited by Malakree

So new to Troggs. Reading through this thread, I came up with this and would like some feedback on it (as well as competitive level of it):

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow 
- Artefact: Glowy Howzit 
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Battleline
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)

Units
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 112

Thoughts on the list:

• Squigs are there for the movement and battalion. This gives me some re-rollable movement with some destruction with the mangler. I just can't see the benefit of the Troggherd at that point level but still want the CP.
  • I could go with the Rage blade/Pulverising Grip and might switch to that after some games. Just thought the Glowy Howzits provides more survivability which is important to buff the Trogg lines
  • I'm torn between gylph charm on the hag or Boss with mightyblow / ghyrstrike. I figured I want the boss more survivable for the buff.
  • Should I combine the Rock gut unit into 6 vs 2/at 3? Will decrease my drops and hit with rocks more. Would be a good Hand of Gork unit but worried about Battleshock then.
  • Really wanted to take the Cauldron but can't fit in the pts. Didn't like Scuttletide and the other are more than 30pts. Thought about gravetide or Prismatic Palisade to provide some cover while the Troggs advance. That would be a decision post playing the list a few times.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:59 PM, Plotter said:

So new to Troggs. Reading through this thread, I came up with this and would like some feedback on it (as well as competitive level of it):

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow 
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline

Units
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Wounds: 112

Thoughts on the list:

• Squigs are there for the movement and battalion. This gives me some re-rollable movement with some destruction with the mangler. I just can't see the benefit of the Troggherd at that point level but still want the CP.
  • I could go with the Rage blade/Pulverising Grip and might switch to that after some games. Just thought the Glowy Howzits provides more survivability which is important to buff the Trogg lines
  • I'm torn between gylph charm on the hag or Boss with mightyblow / ghyrstrike. I figured I want the boss more survivable for the buff.
  • Should I combine the Rock gut unit into 6 vs 2/at 3? Will decrease my drops and hit with rocks more. Would be a good Hand of Gork unit but worried about Battleshock then.
  • Really wanted to take the Cauldron but can't fit in the pts. Didn't like Scuttletide and the other are more than 30pts. Thought about gravetide or Prismatic Palisade to provide some cover while the Troggs advance. That would be a decision post playing the list a few times.

Rather than the Swords, why not upgrade your squigs to Boingrot Bounders? They're way better for only 10 points more.

• Like 1

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin  
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)

Units
24 x Squig Herd (280)

Endless Spells
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 152

my take on a Troggoth army. Leave comments or concerns 

• LOVE IT! 1

On 5/23/2019 at 2:24 AM, blubearbare said:

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline

Units
24 x Squig Herd (280)

Endless Spells

I like this list a lot. The squigs fit in thematically, and can form a meat shield, protecting your big boys against charges. It also gives you an objective holder, if need be. The mushroom can do massive damage against hoard infantry, and goes well with an elite army that heals.

Have you play-tested this yet? Would love to hear how it went.

On 5/22/2019 at 8:07 PM, Requete said:

Rather than the Swords, why not upgrade your squigs to Boingrot Bounders? They're way better for only 10 points more.

Ya, I was thinking that. Just wanted an endless spell so I could get some benefit from being double turned. Might rework the list a bit to get the bounders in

I ordered the rest of my Troggherd to complete a 2k list. My original Troggboss is named Grumble the Snooze King, and he has a night-cap shaped mushroom that grows on his head, but I reckon he'll be relegated to normal Dankhold, as when I first read about Skragrott's armored Dankholds I've wanted to convert one. I had the idea to armor one like the new Loonboss, with a Bad Moon helmet and beaten metal plates. Not sure how he'll be equipped, as I really enjoyed the maximum crush build with Blade of Hammerhal Ghyra and Pulverizing Grip, although I feel a max durability build might be thematically better and tactically so, as making sure I can give the 12 Rockguts I'll have reroll 1s is important. The plan is that he'll be unarmed with just his fists.

Saying that, the moment I go up against unrendable eels I'll regret not having him double crushing on 4s rerolling. And to be honest, he's very easy to protect due to being a foot hero and not a monster so added durability may not be needed, plus the thing most people overlook is that he's on a 60mm base which makes him tougher and fightier than anything else in his size range, not to mention he punches in the same weight class as some 160mm base monsters.

Something I always found funny is that in lore Rockguts are stronger than the weapons they use.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:24 AM, blubearbare said:

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline

Units
24 x Squig Herd (280)

Endless Spells

Hmm... I REALLY like the sqiug herd! 280 points for 48 wounds... camp those little guys around the loonshrine on an objective and you won't have to worry about that objective all game! Ha... now just send the trolls out to smash stuff.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:36 PM, Garamond said:

I like this list a lot. The squigs fit in thematically, and can form a meat shield, protecting your big boys against charges. It also gives you an objective holder, if need be. The mushroom can do massive damage against hoard infantry, and goes well with an elite army that heals.

Have you play-tested this yet? Would love to hear how it went.

I agree....i too like this list and think it will do well for what it is.  I think you will end up with too many command points.  Ive been running loonskin and 1 fungoid and always seem to have lots of CP.  That said, it allows you just pass most every bravery test....

If I could paint more trolls, i would try this...

• Like 1

Played 2 games of Troggherd vs Slaves to Darkness.
Dankboss and 6 Rockguts w/ Itchy Nuisance and Moonface Mommet cleared 10 chaos knights like a breeze. I think Moonface is important, because every attack that gets saved is a big deal, so out right denying the chance to save I found was very important, as even if they're saving on 6s it can and will happen. I don't think -3 rend is overkill when it comes to such important attacks.

I ran 2 units of 6 Rockguts flanked by a Dankboss; their guaranteed boulder throws are very useful for hitting backline heroes. I also had 2 units of 3 Fellwaters, but they're better at working independently so handled the other side of the board with the goblins.

I was running Tough as Rocks, as while Loonskin is great, I felt I always had enough command points. Also my ethos is always; healing is cool but it's worthless if you don't reach your hero phase, so the extra 2 wounds I prefer. He also had +1 attack on fist as the ability to selectively remove elite models is great. The Dankboss was the biggest linchpin so I think the extra wounds to keep him around was justified.  Furthermore, I found that he was incredibly easy to protect from charges, particularly against cavalry, as he has so many wounds on a relatively tiny base; his power per square inch is likely the highest in the game.

I need to remember that Troggherd bonuses exist.

My opponent had to concede on turn 3 both games as the trolls wasted everything they touched. I find them great fun and easy to maneuver, although I'll need to play them against newer armies. Saying that, this is a Troggherd so I reckon the power levels were very close between the two armies. This was against 20 knights, 30 warriors and 2 manticores so there was plenty of meat in the force.

• Like 3

Btw. Would really like some input from the mere experienced throgg players on this list.

Throgg boss 

throgg Hag

Fungoid shaman 

6 rockgut

6 rockgut

2*3 fellwater

Mighty mushroom

Throgg heard

1990 point s

How does this look? I'm used to playing IJ (and loosing 9/10 times) how will this fare you think?

3 hours ago, Thenord said:

Btw. Would really like some input from the mere experienced throgg players on this list.

Throgg boss 

throgg Hag

Fungoid shaman 

6 rockgut

6 rockgut

2*3 fellwater

Mighty mushroom

Throgg heard

1990 point s

How does this look? I'm used to playing IJ (and loosing 9/10 times) how will this fare you think?

As a preface. Pure Trogg lists are pretty weak atm due to the overcosting of both the Boss and the Battalion alongside some more innate issues.
So one of the big problems pure Trogg lists have is that they lack the bodies. The Hag is obviously a super start but she's a big investment that doesn't go in the Troggherd. Equally the Troggherd is a ton of points for a pretty awful bonus. I did the math ages ago but it's something like

• Until you have 8 units of 3 Fellwaters (18 total) you are better off getting another 3 Fellwaters than taking the Troggherd
  • For this purpose 6 Rockguts can be substituted for 3 Fellwaters.

So in your list you're at ~1/2 the number of Troggs required to make it more efficient than just taking another 3 fellwaters.

I would also comment that you're spending 380 points on the Hag, 180 points on the Battalion, 90 points on the Fungoid and 80 points on the Mushroom. which is 730 points not invested into bodies. Pick one of your wizards (either is fine) and drop the other 3 things to put more bodies/wounds onto the board. If you keep the hag that's another 6 Troggs and 40 points to spare.  If you keep the Fungoid that's another 12 Troggs with 10 points to spare. Your list vs the other 2 below so you can see the pure wounds/bodies difference.

Spoiler

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
Troggoth Hag (380)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain

Wounds: 104

Spoiler

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Loonskin

Troggoth Hag (380)
- Gryphfeather Charm

Battleline

Endless Spells
(40 points spare)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 124

Spoiler

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline

Wounds: 136

It's a 20 or 32 increase in raw wounds put on the board. When you consider just how hard Troggs hit those extra bodies are a ton of combat potential.

Obviously this is straying quite a bit away from the thematic type list but from a purely competitive point of view 6 Troggs of any variety is a huge problem for people. Over 3 rounds of combat I had 9 of them (3 Rockguts, 3 Fellwaters, 3 Fellwaters) chew through 16 sequitors on a 2+ rerollable save which as an Ironjawz player I'm sure you know is terribly hard to do.

In my opinion the last list is probably the most competitive with Loonskin and Gryphfeather on the Boss. The 5 units of 6 Rockguts are doing 5d3 mortal wounds at an 18" threat range before they take casualties, that's an average of 10 mortal wounds of point click damage in your shooting phase which you can still use after you run!

Since I don't play pure Troggs though a lot of this is based around my own experience using a much more balanced Grot+ list. So take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1