AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

I already have some Spiderfang so was thinking of a list that would combine the 2... 

Dankhold Troggboss (G)

Troll Hag

Shaman on Arachnarok

6 Rockgut Troggoth 

3 Rockgut Troggoth 

3 Rockgut Troggoth 

10 Spider riders

5 Spider riders

Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron

1970pts

...thought is gave a nice mix of of strength and speed, some mortal wound output out too. I don't however have the new battletomb yet so not sure how to equip the general, any recommendations? is it worth trying to get the battalion? 

I'm thinking now actually do the Hag and the Shaman cancel each other out?

Brief BatRep vs. Balanced Stormcast:

Battleline Troggs do melt away vs. shooting but hit like a truck in combat. The Batallion actually did some work for me today so that was cool. Hag with Gryph-Feather is godlike and the Rage-Grip combo on the Boss helped me take down 2 Dracothian Guard in one combat which was immense. Won Shifting Objectives by the end of Turn 4 but by that point only the Hag was left standing. The Cauldron is great and an excellent source of MW on enemies too once you get her stuck in. A blob of 60 Stabbas really helped in the end. 

• Like 4

Just finished assembling my preorder. Just 3 rockguts and a Dankboss for now. The Rockguts get 9 different head variants and all torsos and arms seem compatible. As for my Dankboss (who will be running Blade of Hammerhal Ghyra and Wildfury on his hands, in my Swamp army) I tried out Peachy's greenstuff chain-mail tutorial, just to give his glutes a bit of privacy, and sculpted a nightcap for him since he likes a good nap. Said nightcap is actually a Squiggly Cap and has eyes. I can't wait for him to meet Stormcast.

Edit: I chose the heads with the biggest, most outrageous noses for my trolls. Unfortunately can't get pictures.

Edited by Knight Scáthach of Fimm
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, Eevika said:

Shootas are not worth anything. Pretty much a useless unit that deals like 2 wounds a turn if that. Would not recommend them

Small grot units don't look very combat effective at all, but I just figured that as these units were only there to hold objectives that the range might be useful. I'm happy to swap them for spears or swords though.

Hey everyone. 
Time for building an second army and this time I wanna go a bit “rule of cool” on the army but still have a good, tough army made of Troggoths. And this is what I’ve made up so far and think would actually work pretty well.

737FBBC7-2B89-4737-8682-FCA527E58792.jpeg.f9edf6420a0abfa51cce213b08430794.jpeg

The hand of Gork giving me deep strike, Curse of the Spidergod giving me more chance to get in more damage as well protect my units from being hit. Hag curse and Fungoid Cloud doing the same thing giving me protection from attacks as well giving my units a bigger chance to do dmg. Boggleye can help me not do battleshock or give an enemy unit fight last. 

All tips and tricks are welcome! 🙂

10 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Battleline Troggs do melt away vs. shooting but hit like a truck in combat. The Batallion actually did some work for me today so that was cool. Hag with Gryph-Feather is godlike and the Rage-Grip combo on the Boss helped me take down 2 Dracothian Guard in one combat which was immense. Won Shifting Objectives by the end of Turn 4 but by that point only the Hag was left standing. The Cauldron is great and an excellent source of MW on enemies too once you get her stuck in. A blob of 60 Stabbas really helped in the end. 

Which type of Troggoth melted away? :)

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

Which type of Troggoth melted away? :)

Both really, my MSU Rockguts managed to get a couple of throws off but the 5+ initial save is too easily rended away. My unit of 6 Fellwaters got fed to a Stardrake unfortunately, it ate 2 or 3 and the rest were shot off by turn 3. I wanted first turn to control combat but I think if I went second I could Hand of Gork something of my own choosing into the Drake instead, probably the 60 Grots. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Both really, my MSU Rockguts managed to get a couple of throws off but the 5+ initial save is too easily rended away. My unit of 6 Fellwaters got fed to a Stardrake unfortunately, it ate 2 or 3 and the rest were shot off by turn 3. I wanted first turn to control combat but I think if I went second I could Hand of Gork something of my own choosing into the Drake instead, probably the 60 Grots. 

Were you using a madcap with Nightshroud?

1 hour ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Were you using a madcap with Nightshroud?

Ran this. Not optimal but had punch. 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Pulverising Grip  
- Artefact: Rageblade 
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Battleline
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 2x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 140

Someone posted about running 2 Hags a few posts back, that would be immense. 

• Like 2

So put this list together

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- Artefact: Blade of Hammerhal Ghyra 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112

This is pure Troggoth, the Bosses and the general especially are very hurty, not sure if I should run a unit of 3 of the Rockguts or Fellwater, but the general idea is to be able to run two particularly painful squads, with a Troggboss each and whatever the squads may need, a unit of rockguts and fellwaters each seems nice and even. So each squad can reroll hits of 1 thanks to the Troggbosses abilities and we should be able to generate more then enough CP to keep up, alternatively I could get rid of the battalion in favour of neat units of 6 Troggs, but the Battalion, CP and extra artifact seem worth the cost.

Edited by Batch

16 hours ago, SKUupin said:

Small grot units don't look very combat effective at all, but I just figured that as these units were only there to hold objectives that the range might be useful. I'm happy to swap them for spears or swords though.

Personally I don't think it matters for units of 20 who are primarily there to guard your home objectives/backline. I'll be running 60 stabbas and 20x20 shootas initially for exactly the same purpose as you are, mainly because I have the 40 shootas spare and really don't want to have to paint more stabbas than I already need to. 

20 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Great to hear, love to hear the Rage-Grip worked out, that's like 200 points? It's nice to have a real world test which shows all our theorycrafting appears to be on the mark! How did you find the MSU Rockguts vs the 6 Fellwaters? Ignoring that the fellwaters got Draked ofc. Would you keep them as 3s, run them as a 6 or swap to fellwaters?

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

Great to hear, love to hear the Rage-Grip worked out, that's like 200 points? It's nice to have a real world test which shows all our theorycrafting appears to be on the mark! How did you find the MSU Rockguts vs the 6 Fellwaters? Ignoring that the fellwaters got Draked ofc. Would you keep them as 3s, run them as a 6 or swap to fellwaters?

Yeah, Rage-Grip was your shout and it helped me turn a 1 into the 5 I needed both times, was ace. 

With the Troggs, that 5+ save is negated really easily and I found myself losing one model at least per shooting phase versus a Stormcast army with some shooting. 5 Bravery is really low too. If the meta does go to shooting to combat DoK etc. I can see Troggs finding it tough. Think MSU Rockguts worked ok, managed to get the boulder off a respectable number of times and that 2+ hit Fellwater vomit can do some damage, shame about the short range but beggars can’t be choosers. I’m determined to keep the list more or less the same for a couple of months to see how it goes. 

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Was that even with the 5++ from the Rockguts or did he focus on the Fellwaters?

Both really, maybe I was having below average dice but having played another quick game today I think getting full strength units into combat will be difficult. Played Knife to the Heart and the 60 Grots giving the Boss Look Out Sir! was golden. 

I`ve just finishing building my troggherd, sadly wasnt able to prime it yet, but... Is it just me or the Rockgut trogoths box is really great? All the options are amazing, the details are incredible and ive built 6 different ones that all look amazing. After a somewhat disapointment with the Dankhold the rockguts were an amazing surprise.

Edit: the only thing now is what to do with all the bits lol

Edited by miguel_fernan
Add another bit of information to my comment

23 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

think getting full strength units into combat will be difficult. 

This is why i think 3 man dankhold trogoff units into combat might be out best real hammer unit in a troll focused list. 

While the math on the pts they dont seem as effective the fact that 3 can general fight in about the same place as 3 or 4 rockguts is a massive differ in terms of concentration of melee power. 

Also the crushing grip attack can be used to force unit's to split, and with 3 such attacks it won't be to tough to do.

Rock gut's are basicly like tanky wizards that can't be dispeled and have 50% chance to get thier mortal would spell off. They arent the most durable unit, just ranged mortal wounds that work decently well when repositioned by hand of gork. Also note they can run and still throw a rock, so they have a much larger threat range than would be expected. 

Lastly rockguts can also throw the rock even if locked in combat because it's not a shooting weapon. (I believe?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmimzie said:

Rock gut's are basicly like tanky wizards that can't be dispeled and have 50% chance to get thier mortal would spell off. They arent the most durable unit, just ranged mortal wounds that work decently well when repositioned by hand of gork. Also note they can run and still throw a rock, so they have a much larger threat range than would be expected. 

Lastly rockguts can also throw the rock even if locked in combat because it's not a shooting weapon. (I believe?)

Yep, certainly how I played them, worked well. The models look amazing as well, great kit. They take an age to put together though!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miguel_fernan said:

I`ve just finishing building my troggherd, sadly wasnt able to prime it yet, but... Is it just me or the Rockgut trogoths box is really great? All the options are amazing, the details are incredible and ive built 6 different ones that all look amazing. After a somewhat disapointment with the Dankhold the rockguts were an amazing surprise.

Edit: the only thing now is what to do with all the bits lol

I'm considering using the extra torsos and heads to make more rockguts coming out of rocks or the ground they can manipulate stone like water.  I dont know how to achieve that yet though.

Any ideas on how to base a troggoth army? My first thought is to try swampy bases for the hag and fellwater and rocky for the rockguts and dankholds but I dont know if having two different base designs would look good in one army.

12 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I'm considering using the extra torsos and heads to make more rockguts coming out of rocks or the ground they can manipulate stone like water.  I dont know how to achieve that yet though.

Any ideas on how to base a troggoth army? My first thought is to try swampy bases for the hag and fellwater and rocky for the rockguts and dankholds but I dont know if having two different base designs would look good in one army.

Could go for an underground river theme like Blackreach in Skyrim

ak9S1.jpg

cave-mushrooms_00390994.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

It can you just have to make sure you tie the two together in some way. For example having Fellwaters in a Bog then have rockguts with the Bog on the side of it's base so it looks like they are marching alongside them.

Adding a winter theme to both or specific flowers is another good way to tie them together. 

• Like 1

Ok guys I'm playing my first test game on Thursday with the Troggoths. I'm fighting agains FEC and all I remember from this guys list is that he has a single Ghoulking on Zombie Dragon, bunch of Crypt horrors and Ghouls and two Vargulfs. 

This is my list. 

• Troggboss
    • Pulverizing Grip
    • Rageblade
  • Troggoth Hag 
    • Gryphfeather Charm
  • Madcap Shaman
    • Hand of Gork
  • Aleguzzler Gargant
  • 6x Fellwater Troggoths
  • 6x Fellwater Troggoths
  • 3x Fellwater Troggoths
  • Mork's Mighty Mushroom
  • Troggherd Battalion
  • 1980/2000 Points

What is my best way to win this game??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Ok guys I'm playing my first test game on Thursday with the Troggoths. I'm fighting agains FEC and all I remember from this guys list is that he has a single Ghoulking on Zombie Dragon, bunch of Crypt horrors and Ghouls and two Vargulfs. 

This is my list. 

• Troggboss
    • Pulverizing Grip
    • Rageblade
  • Troggoth Hag 
    • Gryphfeather Charm
  • Madcap Shaman
    • Hand of Gork
  • Aleguzzler Gargant
  • 6x Fellwater Troggoths
  • 6x Fellwater Troggoths
  • 3x Fellwater Troggoths
  • Mork's Mighty Mushroom
  • Troggherd Battalion
  • 1980/2000 Points

What is my best way to win this game??

Hand of Gork the Hag across the board, have her drop either her spell or Mork's Mighty Mushroom while you get into position to pick up objectives then kill his army?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Malakree said:

Hand of Gork the Hag across the board, have her drop either her spell or Mork's Mighty Mushroom while you get into position to pick up objectives then kill his army?

Seems like we are pretty much on the same page as that was exactly the plan I had in my mind :D 

At first, I planned on a Hag list, seeing how she's the only troggoth wizard. But I'm wondering how capable this list would be. It depends on getting -1 to hit on several enemy units, and doing mortal wounds all around, while just pummeling in melee combat, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO MAGIC.

Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Command Trait : Pulverising Grip 
- Artefact : Rageblade 
Mollog (170)
UNITS
3 x Dankhold Troggoths (660)
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
BATTALIONS
Troggherd (180)

1950 ... Could potentially take the extra CP.

Edited by Garamond
Added embedded list