AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

2 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

Regular Dankholds can't be returned unfortunately. They really needed a +1 to their attack characteristic buff to make them good from the new subfaction. To make them even more irrelevant, Fellwaters and Rockguts can receive their 4+ spell save which is what made them somewhat relevant.

Sigh. Of course they can't be :(. Well I'm just going to get 1 Troggboss then. With the hag added I can't even add two Aleguzzlers (which is maybe a good thing).

I also thought there was a way to make dankholds battleline. But they don't even have that.

Just now, Pitloze said:

Sigh. Of course they can't be :(. Well I'm just going to get 1 Troggboss then. With the hag added I can't even add two Aleguzzlers (which is maybe a good thing).

I also thought there was a way to make dankholds battleline. But they don't even have that.

It's for the best that you don't take Aleguzzlers, even the regular Dankhold is better than him.

7 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

It's for the best that you don't take Aleguzzlers, even the regular Dankhold is better than him.

I was considering them because they come in a box of two now. And I wanted to paint something else than green somewhere this year 😅. But yeah they are still horrible. Maybe decent distraction carnifexes? But the Hag already does that.

10 hours ago, Scythian said:

The List is Glogg’s Megamob Battalion 

Danhold Troggboss with battalion artifact and command trait

3 Fungoids (1 with Everspring Diadem)

3 Units of 9 Rockguts 

Scuttletide

Fungusfoot Da Foul and his Big Dummiez!

i think youd be better served with 3 units of six and a single unit of 9 IMO. Holding objectives will be tough with fewer units. Plus you will itchy nuisance a unit you need to multi-charge anyways. Either way looks like loads of fun

Can someone please explain to me in detail why the battalion ability is so good? Troggoth shooting is an afterthought. And Troggoths don't get anything special from charging. Nor do they easily play into activation wars. So even if you retreat and charge multiple units they still have to wait their turn.

I want to like it! I feel I'm missing something.

i feel like retreat and charge is HUGE! my main opponent for a long time is a stalliarch lords bonereaper army that plays a lot on charge, retreat to another unit/objective and does less damage doing that then Trolls so i see some potential there atleast.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

Can someone please explain to me in detail why the battalion ability is so good? Troggoth shooting is an afterthought. And Troggoths don't get anything special from charging. Nor do they easily play into activation wars. So even if you retreat and charge multiple units they still have to wait their turn.

I want to like it! I feel I'm missing something.

Retreat and charge is a game winning rule because you cannot be bogged down, and always have the opportunity to leave combat to focus on a more pressing combat, usually on an objective. It also indirectly lets you cover more ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally got my white dwarf todays, beside the rule for the megamob, there a lot of lore about Troggoths that worth a read. Though basically anytime a big event happen, the Troggoth just ignore it in favor of chillaxing.

Age of chaos: ignore the rise of chaos in the realm in favor of grunting at each other (though if any chaos warrior come, we  eat them)

Age of Sigmar: the realm gate wars are happening, nah we good, let just pick our nose. ( still smash any Stormcast that come our way)

Necroquake: Giant Realm wide shockwave of doom, Oooh pretty color in the skies. ( proceed to still beat up nighthaunt out of ghostly existence)

So I was thinking about Mega Gargants after having built my Warstomper, and remembered in the Gitz tome it mentions that Dankholds can grow to fit the space they're sleeping in, and that the tallest are nigh as tall as Gargants, and that makes me wonder if that also refers to Mega-Gargants, given both excerpts. So, I threw together some rules for what I'd expect the biggest, dumbest Dankhold to be. I might even draw it as a design. I picture it as a bloated, slobbering toad of a Troggoth who's so fat its legs barely work and it drags itself with its arms.

I'd expect it to be in the 550-600 point range.

IMG_0870.JPG

dankhold-gobbletrogg.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

So I was thinking about Mega Gargants after having built my Warstomper, and remembered in the Gitz tome it mentions that Dankholds can grow to fit the space they're sleeping in, and that the tallest are nigh as tall as Gargants, and that makes me wonder if that also refers to Mega-Gargants, given both excerpts. So, I threw together some rules for what I'd expect the biggest, dumbest Dankhold to be. I might even draw it as a design. I picture it as a bloated, slobbering toad of a Troggoth who's so fat its legs barely work and it drags itself with its arms.

I'd expect it to be in the 550-600 point range.

IMG_0870.JPG

dankhold-gobbletrogg.jpg

I was also thinking they would eventually make an even bigger Troggoth character called the Dankhold Troggking, since when they initially release Gloomspite  gitz, the Troggboss was a nice size model but he wasn't as big as i though he could be.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

I got my Dankhold boi! Excited to paint him up. Also just realized that Rockguts WITH discount and are now just as expensive buying Fellwaters from GW here. This actually makes the list I want to play a little more complex.

The basics for my 2k List are: Hag, Troggboss, 9 Rockguts. Megamob Battalion. So 1210 pts.

Now I'm deciding what to do with the other two battleline spots. I kinda want another 9 Rockguts. Or 6/9/12 Fellwaters. Also considering adding some Stabbas as a screen. Because with the weapon range on Rockguts they can easily hit over the screen. Also feel like a Fungoid is almost mandatory but 90 pts is hard to open up.

So many options! But with the cost of the hag it's also kinda limited. I also fear for the wounds I tend to end up on. Between 120 and 140 wounds. I really like Destruction armies to be higher than that since we universally have ****** saves.

I also feel Rockguts are better situated in the current meta or am I wrong?

• Like 1

Hello just joined, quick question.

So you get 1 command point on your hero phase automatically from your general. Then you get a potential extra point with the Shepherd of Idiotic Destruction on a 4+. Then you get an additional point under the bad moon.

Does this mean your Dankboss can get a potential 3 command points on turn 2 if the moon is on him?

1 hour ago, Bigtroggboi said:

Hello just joined, quick question.

So you get 1 command point on your hero phase automatically from your general. Then you get a potential extra point with the Shepherd of Idiotic Destruction on a 4+. Then you get an additional point under the bad moon.

Does this mean your Dankboss can get a potential 3 command points on turn 2 if the moon is on him?

I believe yes, 1 naturally per turn, 1 from the artifact, and one for being in the moon

• Like 1

Hi all,

Been wanting to do a troggoth army since the models where released. After reading the new stuff in white dwarf I am diving in. After reading how the troggs will start to follow a powerful leader, it got me thinking. Should I paint up my troggoths in the same colour scheme so they look like they match when having a game or should I do them all different so they look like they are all random and are just coming from all over  to follow the leader- will make the bases match so they look like an army.

just wondered if people with more experience then me thought would best or they would prefer to play against.

thank you

1 hour ago, deumosd said:

Hi all,

Been wanting to do a troggoth army since the models where released. After reading the new stuff in white dwarf I am diving in. After reading how the troggs will start to follow a powerful leader, it got me thinking. Should I paint up my troggoths in the same colour scheme so they look like they match when having a game or should I do them all different so they look like they are all random and are just coming from all over  to follow the leader- will make the bases match so they look like an army.

just wondered if people with more experience then me thought would best or they would prefer to play against.

thank you

I have painted each box of my Troggs differently, even though some are fielded in units of 6.  As you say a Troggboss will gather a herd around them as they travel so it made sense to me that there would be a variety of colours as Troggs gathered from different locations along the way.  It also meant I was never bored of painting the same scheme over and over again.  I made all the bases the same, which is enough to tie them together.  The beauty is there is no established norm for how a Trogg should look, so any colour scheme is possible.