AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

Any thoughts on this list? I was thinking of maximising -1 to hit stuff given how common it is in GG but I'm not sure about the number of bodies. Still, that's a lot of -1 to hit... Seems like a fun gimmick at least. 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Loonboss (70)
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Gift of da Spider God
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)
- Artefact: Headdress of Many Eyes 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
Troggoth Hag (380)
Mollog (170)

Battleline
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (150)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Balewind Vortex (40)
Shards of Valagharr (40)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 95

• Like 1

Wondering what people think about using one of the GHB merc companies to get some of the new furies. They seem like a god-tier objective grabbing/screening unit which is something I feel like a troggoth army is severely missing and I don't think the other options in the gitz book are as good. Here's the list I came up with, could definitely swap up the endless spells too.

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Artefact: Rageblade 
Troggoth Hag (380)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (280)

Units
12 x Furies (200)
- Allies

Behemoths
Chaos Gargant (170)
- Allies

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (90)

Allies: 370 / 400
Wounds: 116

Edited by MirelurkCakes

36 minutes ago, MirelurkCakes said:

Wondering what people think about using one of the GHB merc companies to get some of the new furies. They seem like a god-tier objective grabbing/screening unit which is something I feel like a troggoth army is severely missing and I don't think the other options in the gitz book are as good. Here's the list I came up with, could definitely swap up the endless spells too.

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Artefact: Rageblade 
Troggoth Hag (380)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline

Units
12 x Furies (200)
- Allies

Behemoths
Chaos Gargant (170)
- Allies

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (90)

Allies: 370 / 400
Wounds: 116

How are you getting Furies from a Merc Company? They were released after the book came out. Is it Slaves to Darkness keyworded?

On 8/10/2019 at 1:46 PM, Floom said:

Any thoughts on this list? I was thinking of maximising -1 to hit stuff given how common it is in GG but I'm not sure about the number of bodies. Still, that's a lot of -1 to hit... Seems like a fun gimmick at least. 

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
Loonboss (70)
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Gift of da Spider God
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)
- Artefact: Headdress of Many Eyes 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
Troggoth Hag (380)
Mollog (170)

Battleline

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Balewind Vortex (40)
Shards of Valagharr (40)

Wounds: 95

I was thinking a similar idea this weekend.  Was very close to ordering a Colossal Squig too, as they're -1 to hit.  While I agree the Troggs don't offer too much in body count, they certainly do a bunch of damage and can hang in there with the -1 to hit.  So perhaps later in the game they could take control of objectives.  I think the big monster of the Gitz are potent and also just fun to use!

What's the Loonboss for?  Also, does Mollog have -1 to hit?  He seems pretty meh to me, though a great model(s).

11 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I was thinking a similar idea this weekend.  Was very close to ordering a Colossal Squig too, as they're -1 to hit.  While I agree the Troggs don't offer too much in body count, they certainly do a bunch of damage and can hang in there with the -1 to hit.  So perhaps later in the game they could take control of objectives.  I think the big monster of the Gitz are potent and also just fun to use!

What's the Loonboss for?  Also, does Mollog have -1 to hit?  He seems pretty meh to me, though a great model(s).

Oh, I never noticed that with the Colossal Squig!

The Loonboss was just points filler, but coincidentally he also has -1 to hit. Mollog has 2 -1 to hit effects, actually. Not the most optimal choice given that one is for models wounded by the single 4+/4+ shooting attack and another the other a 5+ for an enemy within 3". I just liked the model, really, but two extra chances for -1 to hit seemed fun,  although another unit of Fellwater Troggoths is probably better. 

17 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Furies can be taken in that one Mercenary force from the GHB2019, I think called Skroug's something or other.  Its the Gargant plus either Furies or Spawn.  So there's a price of no CP generation for turn 1, but otherwise just allied points. 

Specifically, it's Skroug's Menagerie and it's 1 Chaos Gargant and 0-3 Chaos Spawn, Warhounds, or Furies in any combination. The gargant can use the generic command abilities like a general, but only on the units in the battalion.

Shame Skroug can't be part of a Troggherd and/or make use of its "Whipped Into a Frenzy" ability...

1 hour ago, Deadkitten said:

How are people faring with Troggs these days?  

Troggs are surprisingly effective if you have excellent positioning. Get caught with your pants down and things can go bad quickly. Provided you can annihilate infantry off enemy objectives, and you will, scoring isn't too hard. I'd argue they're one of the few elite armies that perform okay when it comes to capturing, just through sheer damage and being last man standing.

They certainly require more general skill than most armies, despite appearing relatively simple on the outside, but that's actually what makes them a challenging yet effective army. With enough skill and knowledge, they will put in work. That's more than I can say about most elite armies, bar say Stormcast.

Avoid playing against Nighthaunt, as they are the perfect counter.

The recent points reductions made Rockguts a very good pick, even for Gloomspite as a whole. They are certainly competitively priced, and this off-sets things like the Dankboss' cost and the Battalion. I gained 160 points with the changes, to put it into perspective.

My favored tactic is to take Moonface Mommet on a Madcap Shaman, behind units of 6 Rockguts. Cast Itchy Nuisance on a target unit, make sure the Dankboss is nearby and charge with whatever trolls you have. I try and do 2 units of 6 Rockguts on high value targets if I can. They're now (essentially) striking first with -3 rend with reroll 1s (this is why the new reroll 1s command ability did not invalidate the Troggboss). This combo will kill anything that does not have rend immunity. When charging against multiple units, I've crippled an entire army many times with one strike. I usually pin a unit with the Troggboss and prevent them from striking the Rockguts between the effect of Itchy Nuisance. His small base means that he can usually get off safe and sound while the Troggs go to town. The Moonface Mommet is important, because every attack the Rockguts get is super important, and your opponent can and will roll more 6s to save than you like. I don't care what statistics say, I like 100% guarantee when it comes to getting their damage through because they have so few attacks.

I did this to Hedonites of Slaanesh, despite them having the advantage against Troggs.

If you have good spacial awareness and general game mechanics, Troggs are a perfectly reasonable and potentially middle tier army to choose. Just supplement some regular grots in to fill gaps in your list, like home objective holding. Also, don't overlook the Troggboss' +1 Bravery aura, as it's the difference between losing a troll and not. As always, you'll want a Fungoid Cave Shaman. Also, treat your Troggboss as a backline support hero until about turn 2-3, as you can't risk losing him with a wild play. Don't throw him in first; let the Troggs start the battle and move him in to back them up in melee. His lack of a degrading statline means he will be effective into the later stages of the game while most things with his stats would not. He really becomes a force to be reckoned with turns 4 and 5, when most things of worth are dead. Just be aware that he, unlike regular trolls, probably won't make his points back in kills; although this is not necessarily bad, just don't expect him to play like a Bloodthirster.

Personally, I like Tough as Rocks as a trait for my boss, as, while Loonskin is usually better, it doesn't help against Alpha Strikes. Not that you should be positioning him anywhere to get struck first turn, and he is extremely easy to protect given his small base, cover and look out sir. Currently I'm testing Mighty Blow and Gryph Feather Charm as a balance of damage, movement and durability. +1 move is not much but it's certainly something.

These are my thoughts on a Troggoth army. Certainly playable and effective.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Currently fiddling with my list and havent had a proper chance to use my Mighty Shroom yet, the local meta is quite Elite Armies, HoS and FEC, so the Shroom hasnt come into play yet. Though the thought of Tournaments bring Skaven and DoK to mind. So my question is this. Keep the Shroom in, just in case? Or swap it out for Fungoid Cave Sharman. Which instantly provides another spell (or two) and potentially another CP.

Halp

This is the list in question, of course the Shroom would then replace one of the Fungoids. Needless to say the list is generating quite a bit of CP, which means rerolls and battleshock immunity.

Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
Troggoth Hag (380)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 148

Edited by Batch
  • Haha 1

So quick question as to how you all have been playing this.

Is the Troggboss with the Loonskin command trait able to generate an extra command point in the first Battle round when the the moon is still in the corner?

Had one opponent this last weekend say that it doesn't..and I always thought it did due to the wording on the trait overriding the rules for the moon.

10 minutes ago, Thostos said:

So quick question as to how you all have been playing this.

Is the Troggboss with the Loonskin command trait able to generate an extra command point in the first Battle round when the the moon is still in the corner?

Had one opponent this last weekend say that it doesn't..and I always thought it did due to the wording on the trait overriding the rules for the moon.

The exact wording is "affected by the light of the Bad Moon WHEREVER it is located until it is removed when it reaches the opposite edge of the battlefield"

So you get the perks starting turn 1. Even if the moon never moves, you will have the perks until it reaches the opposite edge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Calebexnihilo said:

The exact wording is "affected by the light of the Bad Moon WHEREVER it is located until it is removed when it reaches the opposite edge of the battlefield"

So you get the perks starting turn 1. Even if the moon never moves, you will have the perks until it reaches the opposite edge.

Yeah,thats the way I always thought of it too,,,though my opponent sighted this from the Gloomspite Designers commentary in the FaQ section,Warhammer Community site.
" At the start of the battle, the Gloomspite Gitz player choose the top right-hand corner of the battlefield as the starting location of the Bad Moon. As it is on the edge of the battlefield, no models are affected by its light that round."

So,to be clear then...the command trait overrides that clarification in the commentary?

52 minutes ago, Thostos said:

Yeah,thats the way I always thought of it too,,,though my opponent sighted this from the Gloomspite Designers commentary in the FaQ section,Warhammer Community site.
" At the start of the battle, the Gloomspite Gitz player choose the top right-hand corner of the battlefield as the starting location of the Bad Moon. As it is on the edge of the battlefield, no models are affected by its light that round."

So,to be clear then...the command trait overrides that clarification in the commentary?

That is my reading of it. "wherever it is located until it LEAVES the table" indicates the starting location as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thostos said:

I would argue that a rule from an command trait is added after the alligiance ability takes affect, making the trait rule the most resent one giving it priority. 

You can't  add a trait to your list if you haven't already chosen the right alligiance. 

The commentary is about the alligiance ability not the trait. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sauriv said:

I would argue that a rule from an command trait is added after the alligiance ability takes affect, making the trait rule the most resent one giving it priority. 

You can't  add a trait to your list if you haven't already chosen the right alligiance. 

The commentary is about the alligiance ability not the trait. 

Good point,thnx for the responces  on this:)

Hi everyone! I've an upcoming league at my LGS and I've decided to give Troll a try. I'm starting to get a bit bored of Ironjawz, and I already add a squad of Grot, fanatics , fungoid and Giant painted, and my friend gave me some Trolls and squig hopper. I've decided to start with something like this, and looking for some advice for trait/artefact and matchup:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Moonface Mommet 
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (140)
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (280)
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
Troggherd (180)
Malevolent Moon (40)

Wounds: 138

Disclaimer 1:  I'm not aiming at the most competitive list possible, I'm trying to do the best as I can with my available model. For instance I know the Gargant is a suboptimal choice, but I already have it and painted ;)

Basically I took the bataillion to reduce the number of drop even if it's not fantastic. I choose the cloak to give me I long range flying threat. I'm torn between the great green spite and itchy nuisance, and settle on the spite because d6 mortal at 24'' is flat good, while nuisance is more situationnal. 

Any comment are welcome!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, broche said:

Hi everyone! I've an upcoming league at my LGS and I've decided to give Troll a try. I'm starting to get a bit bored of Ironjawz, and I already add a squad of Grot, fanatics , fungoid and Giant painted, and my friend gave me some Trolls and squig hopper. I've decided to start with something like this, and looking for some advice for trait/artefact and matchup:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Moonface Mommet 
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (280)
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)
Troggherd (180)
Malevolent Moon (40)

Wounds: 138

Disclaimer 1:  I'm not aiming at the most competitive list possible, I'm trying to do the best as I can with my available model. For instance I know the Gargant is a suboptimal choice, but I already have it and painted ;)

Basically I took the bataillion to reduce the number of drop even if it's not fantastic. I choose the cloak to give me I long range flying threat. I'm torn between the great green spite and itchy nuisance, and settle on the spite because d6 mortal at 24'' is flat good, while nuisance is more situationnal. 

Any comment are welcome!

You definitely want your rockguts in units of 6 to get the guaranteed D3 damage on their rockthrows.

36 minutes ago, MirelurkCakes said:

You definitely want your rockguts in units of 6 to get the guaranteed D3 damage on their rockthrows.

Problem is the bataillion is 3 units minimum, so until I get my hand on 3 more troll, it's not really an option :)

I don't mind to much to roll to get the d3, as I should get 1 d3 in average out of the 2 units.

On 8/23/2019 at 1:26 AM, broche said:

Problem is the bataillion is 3 units minimum, so until I get my hand on 3 more troll, it's not really an option :)

I don't mind to much to roll to get the d3, as I should get 1 d3 in average out of the 2 units.

Have you got any other options to drop the troggherd. You really don't have enough stuff in it to make it cost effective.

Even another gargant would be considerably better.

8 hours ago, Malakree said:

Have you got any other options to drop the troggherd. You really don't have enough stuff in it to make it cost effective.

Yeah i'll see if i can paint something before the end of the league. I know it's not fantastic, at least it's keeping my drop relativly low

• Like 1