AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

7 hours ago, Malakithe said:

I have this visual in my head of Rockguts throwing giant rocks in a high arc over a battlefield. The view pans to a KoS as he looks up just in time to see the rock coming down on him and he says "Oh ****" then gets crushed all looney toons style. Hard to imagine how a solid rock kills a ghost but thats fantasy for you lol

1885151324_RockSmash.gif.d2185cb8866be8505d821ccc19737884.gif

• Haha 2

Whew, put down the Skinks and decided to go back to my Trogg army, damn we got a lot of spare points. So Ive reconstructed my list, needless to say, I finally get to try out the overpriced battalion, while the ability doesnt look that great, another CP, artefact and super low drops give us a nice advantage.

So...

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow 
- Artefact: Rageblade 
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance

Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (280)
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (150)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (40)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (90)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

Alright, lets start with out Big Boss, extra attack and rerolling that damage, only missing on a 2 (which Im trying to weigh the difference in Gyrstrike) and rerolling those 1's because we will always be using his CA. We start with 2CP and if the Moon is kind another, then if the Fungoids are good we begin the battle with 5CP. GHB19 gave us some more generic CA options, so they wont be wasted. The Hag, teleport her somewhere with Arcane Terrain, hopefully it's close enough to 90 unsuspecting Witch Aelves and cast the Mushroom. You could also keep her with the Army, but giving the enemy something to think about straight away is always nice, in addition you can teleport her within 9" and funnily enough her missile attack is 10" so hit em before they can react, in addition Gryph Charm to make her -2 to hit, if she gets her spell off later on its -3, she pretty stanky.

Two Fungoid Fun boys for that delicious CP, hand of Gork for Shenanigans and Itchy Nuisance to annoy any DoK or LoN player that really wanted to get their Deathstar in 2nd. Battleline is simple units of 6 Rocks to guarantee early rock throws and units of 3 Fellwaters to back them up or sit at home base if need be.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Batch said:

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Artefact: Rageblade 

At what point do you declare which weapon becomes Rageblade?  Is it at list building, or deployment?

There might be some occassions / matchups where an extra Grip attack is useful.

Otherwise, mathematically you are better off with Ghyrstrike: 

- 5 attacks at 3s and 3s will force 2.22 saves

- 4 attacks at 2s and 2s will force 2.78 saves

You are still better off with Ghyrstrike if facing neg 1 to hit, and even moreso if you RR 1s to hit.

5 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

At what point do you declare which weapon becomes Rageblade?  Is it at list building, or deployment?

Otherwise, mathematically you are better off with Ghyrstrike: 

- 5 attacks at 3s and 3s will force 2.22 saves

- 4 attacks at 2s and 2s will force 2.78 saves

You are still better off with Ghyrstrike if facing neg 1 to hit, and even moreso if you RR 1s to hit.

Im more inclined to Ghyrstrike but then what artefact does the Hag take, not sure what option is best there.

11 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

You would do it on the list not per game.

@Batch Personally I really dislike Hag in Trogg lists and even less with Troggherd. You've invested 560 points (830 with the Troggboss) before putting in your battleline. Thats TWELVE rockguts! Ask yourself which you would rather have, a Hag, a CP, an artefact and reduced drop count or another 48 wounds worth of rockguts...

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline

Endless Spells / Terrain

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 140

This is the same list as yours but with way more damage output, 32 extra wounds which all have a 5++ attached to them. The Morks teleport is a hilarious option but honestly do it with a madcap instead, it's an 80 point investment rather than a 380. Yes she does other stuff but again, 80 point madcap, 280 points for 6 Rockguts and 20 points spare. Is she 6 rockguts worth of other stuff?

Now I couch all of this inside the statement that ultimately it's your army and it's what you want to play/run. I don't say that to be derogatory, exactly the opposite. I've personally run a list with 2 cabbages, a Colossal squig and a 30 man Ardfist. It sucked ass but was hilarious.

I would advise to either drop the Battalion or the Hag, you are very low on staying power and a lot of lists are going to clean you off the board before you can do much. 108 wounds is what you get in the most offensive alphastrike lists.  If you drop the Troggherd yes you lose an artefact but you gain another 3 Troggs and 10/20 points float for a Triumph, with that you can turn one of your flanking/support fellwater units into a unit of 6 rockguts/fellwaters or even just have 3 units running around.

For what it does the battalion is criminally overpriced, to get it's damage back you need to have at least 21 fellwaters in the battalion not rockguts, as they get far less from it, but fellwaters specifically.

EDIT: Side note, if I was going to run a Dankhold list it would be this, no messing about just pure business and your opponent crapping himself when you drop it on the table.

Spoiler

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
- Artefact: Glowy Howzit 

Battleline

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 156

Edited by Malakree

@Malakree hey man appreciate the reply, was contemplating today over if the Artefact and CP was worth over 3 more Fellwaters which was my initial idea, which I will more then likely change. Given that I should be able to generate a fair amount of CP on my own. 

Although my only argument there is only being a 4 drop almost guarentees first turn due to the battalion, to either drop something hard on them while theyre cluttered or readily prepare, I would like to know your thoughts on this as well as your thoughts on the Hag. The list isnt here to be competitive but I will probably try. But I think the Hag does bring a lot to the table for a reasonable cost, be that in the case of defending objectives or the opposite.

PS: No hostility involved, I just want some differing opinions to consider and reasoning for them,  as you said I can bring in a lot of wounds besides the Hag.

Edited by Batch

Well, the tournament I went to this weekend was a blast. Went 3-2, #25 out of 115, #3 destruction, top Gitz, and 8430 kill points.

My main strategy was to keep the troggs in close groups for buff bubbles and to take the charge that forced the opponents to pull in more troggs. 3 games I took 1st turn charges that did some damage but then pretty much I dissolved their lines. Sylvaneth, Bonesplinters (all pigs), and Beastclaws (Piggy Battalion). One game I got to charge in first to lizards (heavy summoning ) I was able to take out a bigger chunk than what my opponent was expecting, but a turn 3 double turn in his favor allowed the needed summons and the extra points to tick up. My 2nd game was against meta Iron Jaws, turn 1 charges 11 attacks each for everyone. As a consolation, my boss did crush an ard boy so his 30 man coherency broke in the middle and I was able to destroy the unit for some kill points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batch said:

@Malakree hey man appreciate the reply, was contemplating today over if the Artefact and CP was worth over 3 more Fellwaters which was my initial idea, which I will more then likely change. Given that I should be able to generate a fair amount of CP on my own. 

Although my only argument there is only being a 4 drop almost guarentees first turn due to the battalion, to either drop something hard on them while theyre cluttered or readily prepare, I would like to know your thoughts on this as well as your thoughts on the Hag. The list isnt here to be competitive but I will probably try. But I think the Hag does bring a lot to the table for a reasonable cost, be that in the case of defending objectives or the opposite.

PS: No hostility involved, I just want some differing opinions to consider and reasoning for them,  as you said I can bring in a lot of wounds besides the Hag.

I only mentioned it because I often argue quite hard for/against something's and without clarification it can look more forceful than intended. Honestly I'm a powergamer so I have absolutely no problem being proven wrong 😁.

I think the hag is really strong with some great utility. My biggest issue with her in a pure trogg list is that you're already short bodies and and wounds in a way normal lists won't be. So you're investing in a very heavy points sink at the cost of something you're already short on for some utility which doesn't directly power up the rest of your army.

Alongside grots she's immense, her spell+netters is inflicting -2/-3(/-4 with gryphfeather) to hit on stuff. She's also an incredibly tanky hero to sit on the objectives surrounded by grots puking over stuff and being a nightmare to kill. Grots are playing a long drawn out grind game where they already have 200+ wounds worth of chaff.

Troggs on the other hand are playing an explosive ridiculous damage output style which relies on crippling your opponent harder and faster than he cripples you. In that situation giving up wounds, which you are already short on, and damage, which you desperately need, hurts the list quite a bit.

For that reason I would never personally play her in a trogg list, although I don't actually play a pure trogg list anyway. I play a grot+ version which uses a far more hammer+anvil tactic.

That said with the recent rockgut points reduction im definately looking at swinging more towards the troggs in the grot+

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
- Artefact: Shiny Wotnot 
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction

Battleline
20 x Shootas (120)
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

Wounds: 178

This is my next step due to what I have models wise, only 6 rockguts and 40 stabbas to paint.

• Thanks 1

@Malakree Actually quite like that list, but until Ive given the Hag a few swings I wont remove her yet. But being able to remove the battalion and a Fungoid Im able to do this. 

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
Troggoth Hag (380)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
40 x Shootas (240)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Scuttletide (30)

Wounds: 144

So this trades out a CP, Artefact and Sharman for 40 wounds.  The idea is then leave those grots at home base and secure any objectives while the big boys secure at leave one other objective for a turn or two. 

I could also swap the Scuttletide and Shootas for 40 Stabbas, but Im not sure if I want them in combat when theyre a better tarpit. Finally I could replace the Scuttle and 20 Shootas for 3 more Fellwaters.

I do think the initial list is more solid, and obviously you could trade the Hag for another Sharman and more Rockguts but I want to see how she performs on the table first.

Edited by Batch

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

@Batch you see what I mean about wounds and board presence though. You've gone from 108 and 22 bodies to 144 wound and 61 bodies.

I do indeed, and very little needed to be taken away to achieve it and I dont need to drag any Troggs away from the Frontlines for baby sitting. Am I buying Grots now xD

• Haha 1

I think what the Troggoth Hag brings is the possibility of applying pressure where you need it.  Her shooting attack is strong (essentially a battery of 3x Spear Chukkas), and Hand of Gork puts her straight into range for that and her Warscroll Spell, mitigating the issue with short range to a large extent.

A lot of armies simply can't handle her, especially with Gryph Feather charm which is an auto-take on her imo.  The Batallion is quite clearly overcosted, but I don't think it's fair to dump that on her and consider her a 560 point Monster...I would argue that your one artefact is hers by default, and if you want a second artefact, you're paying 180 points to put Rageblade / Loonskin on your Troggboss making him a 450 point Monster (WTF!). 

There's a danger of sunk cost fallacy with the Loonboss...there is an argument for just accepting that he's a cool model and a tax we have to take if we want the cool points of running a Troggoth army, there is no obligation to throw good resources after bad by breaking your army to give him an artefact.  Just see him as a tax unit who will often whiff, and occasionally do huge spike damage.

I do absolutely agree that you need a unit or two of Stabbas / Shootas if you are taking her though, to get those wounds and bodies up.  It also synergises quite nicely that you can use your Hand of Gork to teleport the Hag, and run the Stabbas up into the middle of the table at +2 to run.  She can then operate completely independently and handle herself nicely, and it creates the classic dilemna for your opponent of having to deal with the threat in their backfield rather than developing the table as they would wish.

FWIW I do also like Geminids still, because it's great double turn insurance.  If you don't take the Batallion you need to be able to go first or second, and Geminids helps with that.  So I would personally rejig the Endless Spells a little to take Nids and then a couple of others (either invest in the Cauldron for her Turn 1, or take a few board control spells, whatever works).  I'm not sure you need the Mushroom because Fellwaters for example are already pretty good at crowd control, and your own Grots stand to lose just as much from that. 

So I do like your latest list, and I think it has some legs.  However I personally would put Gryph Feather on the lady, and maybe rejig the 160 points of Endless Spells (possibly even considering more Grots or a second Fungoid for part of that)...Just my opinion though!

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 2

First Rockgut done....he turned out a bit too dark skin wise, so he blends into the base a bit too much, not sure if I love it or hate it. But Ill do another in a lighter grey, should contrast a bit better. But Im still happy how he turned out.

20190804_120741-1172x1658.jpg

20190804_120818-1172x1489.jpg

Edited by Batch
  • Like 3

Fellow Dank enthusiasts, I'm looking for some help. I've got a 1k tourney later this month at my FLGS and I'm looking at taking the troggs out for a go.

Now, I'm struggling to settle on a list that I am comfortable with. I'd like to take the hag, but at 1k she and the boss are a considerable investment. I would also like to take a unit of stabbas as a screen and for padding the body count. 

Currently my available models are: 

Troggboss 

Hag

Mollog

Fungoid 

Madcap

Rockgut x6

Fellwater x6

Stabbas x40

Shootas x20

Arachnacauldron 

So not a huge variety, but we play troggs and variety isn't exactly abundant. Any suggestions or thoughts about how to approach a 1k list? Any input is appreciated 

Thanks 

Hey all! I'm just getting back to table top games i last played fantasy battle a llooonnnggg time ago. Looking at some help with this list. I want to utilize my old bonegrinder giant. How does this look

Dankhold boss-Tough as rocks, glowy howzit

Mullogs mob

Fungoid caveshaman

Mallevolent moon

Bonegrinder Giant

Fellwater trogg 3 x 3

Rock gut 2 x 6

Comes to 1980 pts

I wanted morks mushroom but just couldnt find a way to afford it

4 hours ago, Papo28 said:

For the list above i was also thinking get rid of 6 fellwater and put in 2 aleguzzlers to go with my bonegrinder to do a good 50/50 theme that would put me at 2000 pts exact

Word of warning, the aleguzzlers are really bad atm. That said, go for it.

Drop mollog instead of one of the fellwaters imo. I love him but you definitely need bodies more than him 😁

Just realized my points were the old points not the FAQ and I saw the new aleguzzler mercs does anyone know how that works? Reroll all hit rolls sounds nice. So this is what im thinking

Dank hold with a tank build

Fungoid with malevolent moon

1 unit of 3 fellwater

2 x 6 rock guts

3 x giants as mercs

Bone grinder

That puts me at 1990 

I just think 3 giants led by bonegrinder followed with trolls would be so fun. Does the merc rules make it worth it or will i get stomped every game