AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

1 hour ago, Injuryprone said:

It's so, so bad.  I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nerfed next FW rules pass (RIP my beautiful plague toads).

Unlikely, she's a bit of a favourite among Destro players and has been a solid pick for 2 years now. The only nerf she's had was a 2 wound drop to 14. Something they have her back with the gloomspite release.

Honestly she has one of the most stable and balanced warscrolls there is.

5 hours ago, Malakree said:

Honestly she has one of the most stable and balanced warscrolls there is.

TBF she has now had 4 Warscrolls and a points change:

- Original was pretty underpowered, with only 5 vomit attacks, a single melee weapon profile that did 2 damage, spell cast on an 8 and you had to roll for Hag Regeneration.  Started life at 360 points and even I wouldn't touch her back then.

- Around the time of GH17 she got a significant lift: 6 vomit attacks, a second melee weapon profile, automatic Hag Regeneration, spell cast on a 7.  Stayed at 360 points.  Woo hoo!  Allies were the new shiny thing, and I put her in with my Ironjawz to try and cover multiple gaping holes in that army simultaneously.  It worked as well as could be hoped.

- Around the time of GH18, she got a minor nerf by dropping to 14 wounds.  Secondary attack became rend 0 damage D6 instead of rend 1 damage D3.  Bumped up to 380 points.  Booo!  I didn't run her much myself that year, but a champion like @Donal didn't let that stop him dominating the UK tournament scene with her.

- When the GG book dropped, she jumped back up to 16 wounds, and that's the glorious age we live in today.  Still 380 points.  I think she's better than ever, but I do understand why a lot of people prefer the Webspinner on A-Rok currently.

There were other tweaks along the way: her original melee profile was 3+3+ and the Hit roll deteriorated (not the Wound roll); she also got a subtle buff along the way that the -1 to hit moved from being in the Combat Phase to being Melee Weapons (so Hero Phase pile ins are still debuffed).  But you get the picture.

I'm something of a Hag connoisseur as you can see :D

I currently think she's the best she's ever been, specifically because you can Hand of Gork her right into range for her Warscroll spell and Vomit.  That can be devastating in its own right, and she is tough enough and capable of operating independently that you can get away with it.  

I had a nice moment at the weekend, running her in Mixed Destro against a Mixed Order gunline with 4 Helstorm Rocket Batteries.  He'd screened me out from getting into his backfield, but I Hand of Gorked her (All Hail the Arachnacauldron!) 9" in front of his lines and threw out Geminids.  They went Pop! Pop! Pop! through 3 of his 4 crews and as anybody who has played Spear Chukkas will know, D3 Mortal Wounds basically ruins one of those old artillery pieces straight off the bat.  She then vomited off his chaff screen, I've parked my tanks on his front lawn and anything that tries to deal with her is doing it at neg 3 to Hit (white Geminid has just moved over them + terrible stench + Gryph Feather Charm).  He ended up conceding Turn 2 :D Stupid Order!

Edit: If anyone wants to see her old Warscrolls for nostalgia or curiosity, DM me cos I've kept them all #NERD

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

I'm something of a Hag connoisseur as you can see :D

Praise the Hag connoisseur. Its absolutely lovely. I dont run her that often in my 2k Troggoth list as I want more bodies but I play her in every 1k game I play and she has never let me down in those games. Absolute monster in low point games that one. 

• Like 3

Id like to point out troggs of felwater and rockgut variety are likely not going down in price and may in fact go up.

Look at how badly supported bullgors are in their book and how bad they are compared to fell waters or rockguts for the same cost.

Yet as opposed to going down in points to make them more attractive,  they increased enlightened on disks in points.

Gw is at a point where they dont know how to balance elite units,  because cheap bodies with masses of attacks that are easily buffed will blender most elite units and have enough mass to absorb all the punishment thrown at them.

29 minutes ago, Skoll said:

Look at how badly supported bullgors are in their book and how bad they are compared to fell waters or rockguts for the same cost.

Yet as opposed to going down in points to make them more attractive,  they increased enlightened on disks in points.

Gw is at a point where they dont know how to balance elite units,  because cheap bodies with masses of attacks that are easily buffed will blender most elite units and have enough mass to absorb all the punishment thrown at them.

Enlightened got reduced because they were the core of a very specific BoC army which was functionally a Tzeentch army in BoC because it had a better allegiance/spell.

26 minutes ago, Skoll said:

Id like to point out troggs of felwater and rockgut variety are likely not going down in price and may in fact go up.

Definitely not going up especially given that the rockgut kit is so new.

They have said that gloomspite is under-performing expectations and they are looking to give us a points decrease. While I would like a points decrease, 10 points wouldn't be unreasonable, I expect the big area we'll get a reduction will be on the Dankholds which are ridiculously overcosted. 

Also given that the one area of Gloomspite which actually works is the Grot part, with the squig part being viable and the Trogg/Spiderfang parts being close to none entities I can't see the points reductions going anywhere other than Troggs/Spiderfang.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Enlightened got reduced because they were the core of a very specific BoC army which was functionally a Tzeentch army in BoC because it had a better allegiance/spell.

Definitely not going up especially given that the rockgut kit is so new.

They have said that gloomspite is under-performing expectations and they are looking to give us a points decrease. While I would like a points decrease, 10 points wouldn't be unreasonable, I expect the big area we'll get a reduction will be on the Dankholds which are ridiculously overcosted. 

Also given that the one area of Gloomspite which actually works is the Grot part, with the squig part being viable and the Trogg/Spiderfang parts being close to none entities I can't see the points reductions going anywhere other than Troggs/Spiderfang.

I know why it was done. Im pointing out  that instead of taking the logical step and buff the competition out of worthlessness,  they just increased the points of what did work, which isnt going to make em not be taken.

Hell with ungor point decrease many lists might remain the same or close enough considering they were often fielding one or two units of ungors to either backfield hold or sacrifice or both.

Bullgors and dragon ogres staying the same didnt really make sense, and it was one of the biggest complaints in the FB thread GW started around 8 months ago referencing changes that needed to be made in the generals hand book. Yet here we are, trust me i love me some troggoths and ill be super happy if they do get a point reduction, but i dont quiet foresee it since they are basically the beat monstrous infantry out there right now.

So, I am taking my baby steps into the 21st century and uploading photos (or indeed anything) for the first time.  Thought this would be the place to start with some Troggoths and a Giant.  Will try and have more lighting next time.  Going to climb that learning curve!

IMG_20190626_234420.jpg

IMG_20190626_234551.jpg

• Like 11

Thank you everybody for the likes for the photos, I'm glad you enjoyed them.  It has encouraged me to post some more in the painting section ( I didn't want to clog up this thread ).  I like looking at other's hobby and gaining inspiration from it, and felt it was time I made a contribution.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Has anyone tried cool Monstrous Archanum units in with their troggs? Kinda want a Basilisk or a Merwyrm. Would look really cool in my swamp themed army. 

They need to have an Ally keyword to ally them in. You'd be running GA:Destruction.

Just now, Malakree said:

They need to have an Ally keyword to ally them in. You'd be running GA:Destruction.

Damn didnt even realise. I just assumed Monstrous Archanum was available as an ally to all destruction armies. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Wow I didn't think Rockguts needed to be cheaper. Goodnight my sweet Fimir. When taken as an army, the Troggboss' cost now evened out considerably.

Yeah that one totally threw me off. I fricken love rockguts and use 15+ of them so far. Might have to make that 20+ now.