AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

I doubt itll happen but instead of point adjustments I wish that some of our units abilities had more synergy with the army as a whole.

Gobbapalooza I'm looking at you.

Hell even our terrain piece abilities only work entirely on 1/4th of our subfactions.  Just feels like theres a lot of missed opportunities for some cool stuff they could have done.

(Also I want doom divers to be Gloomspite but that's just wishful thinking)

If Sneaky Snufflers worked on all, they would be sold out for the next 6 months. Unfortunately it's too late for that.

And yes, when balance adjustments to the game are made, it swings both ways. So if Troggboss only comes down to 280, but all the greater daemons go to 380+  then suddenly he doesn't sound too bad.

It's the comparison game again. It's usually the relatively cheap flying ballistic missile monsters that are a problem, and they make other units look bad by comparison because they do everything the meta and ruleset wants. Especially in the case of Ghoul Kings on Terrorgheist that literally have everything; its only weakness is that there isn't 2 of them in a unit...

• Like 1

@Knight Scáthach of Fimm You keep saying the troggboss is a buff machine and a versatile hero but the fact is his buffs are weak. He isnt that tanky with out a defence artefact, He doesnt do damage with out a damage artefact... He isnt that good when compared to other stuff. He is a support hero that needs to be supported to be viable. Look at something like the Verminlord corruptor. 12 wounds 4+ save 5++ save. more damage, two spell caster, his CA gives full rerolls for units with in 13" and his own spell is an insane horde killer. That mother trucker is infinitely stronger than a Troggboss and costs 260

• Like 2

And More!

We’re committed to keeping Warhammer Age of Sigmar as awesome as possible, and so, with this year’s General’s Handbook, we’ve gone the extra mile. Usually, books published in the immediate lead-up to the General’s Handbook would not see points changes. However, to make sure your Pitched Battles are as balanced as possible, we’ll be releasing an early (and free) points update to the most recent battletomes – for reference, that’s Skaven, Blades of Khorne, Fyreslayers, Gloomspite Gitz and Flesh-eater Courts. Keep an eye out for this – and the General’s Handbook 2019 FAQ – in early July.

In the meantime, you’ll be able to pre-order your copy of the General’s Handbook tomorrow!

Its gonna happen they were not able to get it into the generals handbook but point adjustments will happen for the gitz

22 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Latest community post about points doesnt mention gitz anywhere. Seems like we are getting no drops ☹️

They forgot them in the initial article release but I just check again and they mention them at the end of the article with the other recent battletome.

granted don’t expect big point changes judging by the point changes done to the other armies

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

They forgot them in the initial article release but I just check again and they mention them at the end of the article with the other recent battletome.

granted don’t expect big point changes judging by the point changes done to the other armies

I'm still taking it as an insult that they forgot us in the initial release of the post ☹️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eevika said:

I'm still taking it as an insult that they forgot us in the initial release of the post ☹️

It's actually that points are normally done well ahead of time and don't include this year's releases. 

So DoK survived last year's gbh despite being hideously undercosted because the gbh was finished before their release.

Just now, Malakree said:

It's actually that points are normally done well ahead of time and don't include this year's releases. 

So DoK survived last year's gbh despite being hideously undercosted because the gbh was finished before their release.

This year all the new books are getting digital points updates after the book comes out. Says it right there at the end of the article 

On 6/13/2019 at 7:00 PM, Malakree said:

The issue with the Troggboss is that he's on a 4+ with no after saves, his damage output is really random for his points level, he can't fly so he gets screened hard and the 6" move makes him way to slow to be a realistic threat. On the spell example, you can get a bloodthirster with a 2+ spell ignore that flies, moves faster and does way more damage for the same points.

Sure you can make him faster or fly but if you do that his damage is mediocre, you can make his damage really solid but then he gets screened and kited, you can make him a reasonable buff bot but then he's both slow and his damage sucks. Essentially you can pick one area to make him competitive in and then he's sub-par in the others, compare him to the Footboss in Ironjawz. For the same cost I can get him with SoJ and 2 warchanters giving him 6 attacks that do d6 mortals on a 4+ to hit.  

Realistically the only time you take him is as a buff bot for your Troggs. If you're looking at taking a Dankhold in a list without Troggs you take Mollog instead, he has the bravery buff, brings a bunch of utility, is just as tanky and is 130 points cheaper.

EDIT: 

In a war fought by gods a single mortal is worthless.

What you're calling Broken is actually just strong, the stuff which can fight that Broken stuff is balanced, everything else is underpowered. A beastclaw raider looks at his stonehorn and goes "this is balanced" then looks at a Dragonlord and says "this is broken". 

Saying "no, no I'm the one whose balanced the rest of you are just underpowered or overpowered" is a meaningless statement. You're either competitive or not. Right now the Troggboss is not a competitive pick because of his cost, that means he's underpowered, maybe not as bad as the Mawkrusha, but that's like looking at two turds and saying this one smells worse.

That is one true statement... I really like the part about the turds! Because if there is one thing that stinks to high heaven, its the Troggboss... But in all fairness, every single Troggoth model is overpriced at about 20% IMO!

Problem for us might be, that we were not mentioned in the preview of GHB19 point reductions, but we'll know in a few days with leakes and all coming out. But an army wide 10% point reduction would still only give one unit more. Not enough to make any dent in the discrepancy between troggoth and FEC, Skaven, Slaaneth etc....

On 6/15/2019 at 8:20 AM, Eevika said:

This year all the new books are getting digital points updates after the book comes out. Says it right there at the end of the article 

Love how the GHB is already out of date before it has even been released.

Might be futile to list build too much before FAQ comes out... But anyone building a Meeting Engagement troll list?

I'm thinking for mine:

Spearhead: Skragrott and Rockgutts

Main Body: Dank Boss and Rockgutts

Rearguard: Rockgutts

Simple and easy. Get Skragrott and Rockgutts out early to get ranged damage in and start skragrotts mortal.

4 hours ago, Calebexnihilo said:

Might be futile to list build too much before FAQ comes out... But anyone building a Meeting Engagement troll list? I'm thinking for mine:

Spearhead: Skragrott and Rockgutts

Main Body: Dank Boss and Rockgutts

Rearguard: Rockgutts

Simple and easy. Get Skragrott and Rockgutts out early to get ranged damage in and start skragrotts mortal.

The spearhead doesn't actually always start on the board R1, it's dependent on battleplan. Personally I'm looking at this

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Spearhead
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

Main Body
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Blow 
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)

Rearguard
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 72

My experience tells me Rockguts are just worse than Fellwaters in 3s but a unit of 6 Rockguts is horrific to deal with.

Spearhead

• Being only 220 points means I can sink points elsewhere
  • Fungoid as a cheap hand of Gork and CP generator
  • 20 Stabbas to gain board control/position
  • Gives a cheap solid spearhead which is useful at any point in the game

Main Body

• Huge points investment at 620 points making it almost 2/3rds of my points.
  • A unit of 6 Rockguts is a massive hammer even in 2k games.
  • 6 is the optimal unit size for Rockguts which is only avaliable in the main body.
  • I want the Troggboss to pair up with the Rockguts for maximum effectiveness.
  • Troggboss has the hammer setup aswell.
  • A giant hammer which is a threat to basically everything

Rearguard

• Only 160 points so again I can invest elsewhere.
  • 3 is the optimal unit size for Fellwaters
  • 3 Fellwaters are a dominant force at their points value.

So yeah, I've gone with a massive hammer block that necessitates my other 2 blocks being very tight on points. To compensate for that I've gone for 2 setups focusing on efficiency around the points values which can tie down and stall my opponent until I can bring down the hammer. Both my spearhead and rearguard have -1 to hit in combat, the fellwaters are 12 wounds which regenerate while the grots are at 20 wounds.

No matter what happens this force isn't going to go up in points cost unless GW has the most epic brainfart of all time. The Troggboss should be coming down at least 20 points which would counteract the Fungoid going up to 110 (or 100 if we're lucky). Honestly I'm expecting that Troggs might go down to 150 and the Troggboss to ~220. Though my wishful thinking hopes it's 140 for Troggs and 200 for the Troggboss 🤞 

Altogether those changes would drop this list by 70-150 points depending on just how generous GW is feeling!

• Like 2

On 6/24/2019 at 7:18 PM, Calebexnihilo said:

Might be futile to list build too much before FAQ comes out... But anyone building a Meeting Engagement troll list?

There is only one list that people should be playing

Spearhead: Troggboss

Main Body: Troggoth Hag and 3 Fellwaters

Rearguard: 3 Fellwaters

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Eevika said:

I take back what I said I created an even better list after just buying some Fimir

Spearhead: Fimirach Noble, 3x Fellwater

Main Body: Troggoth Hag and 3x Fimir Warriors 

Rearguard: Aleguzzler Gargant

Its beautiful 

I don't think that would be a legal list, right? Fellwater can't be battleline with a Noble general. Still need 2 battleline units.

Just now, Calebexnihilo said:

I don't think that would be a legal list, right? Fellwater can't be battleline with a Noble general. Still need 2 battleline units.

I thought ME only needed one battleline. I mean they only force you to take one in the mainbody