AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Would you have them the other way round with smaller units of Rockguts and big units of Fellwaters? 

I prefer small felwater and large rockgut units. The felwater are more independent since they have high amount of attacks and their vomits are just normal range attacks. The rockguts kind of need the numbers since their rock throw is based on their unit size and with only 2 attacks a 3 man has a better chance of whiffing, especially outside a boss re-roll bubble. On the other hand a block felwaters would be fun too.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Seanwise23 said:

I prefer small felwater and large rockgut units. The felwater are more independent since they have high amount of attacks and their vomits are just normal range attacks. The rockguts kind of need the numbers since their rock throw is based on their unit size and with only 2 attacks a 3 man has a better chance of whiffing, especially outside a boss re-roll bubble. On the other hand a block felwaters would be fun too.

That was kind of the feeling that I got when I played, the rockguts were very hit or miss. Seeing you talk about the unit of 9 connected it for me and I was checking we were on the same wavelength!

• Like 1

He did his job definitely, but you have to be careful with him. Despite 12 wounds and +4/+4 saves he can turn into a glass cannon, especially once you roll a 1 on his artifact save he tends to melt away fast. So, I kept him more in the back and only took him in if he had an A) a screen or others sharing combat with him. B) small units that have no rend and low attacks or C) It is your turn and you know you can kill or cripple your target first. Plus, sitting in the back and not running him in first did not feel wasted since his bravery buff and reroll bubble paid for him in the long run.

22 minutes ago, novakai said:

has anyone had any luck with using Mollog in their games.

I am going to try him out for my escalation league for my troll army since him and 6 rockguts is exactly 500 points

I used him at throne of skulls and he consistently overperformd.

His shooting attack is bad but unlike similar attacks if it hits it's amazing. It's another random -1 hit which gloomspite loves.

The club is amazing, I found on average it was doing 3 mortals each combat phase, doesn't seem like a lot but it consistently grinds through opponents. This is especially amazing in the world of save rerolls and unreadable saves.

Each of the minions is great even if their effects are random. A 1/3 chance to do an 18" mortal in your shooting phase just stacks with all the other mortals he pumps out, just like the rockguts it's not actually a shooting attack so ignores screen etc. Spiteshroom giving you a random -1 in combat is again another free source of -hit. Mollog can potentially apply -2 to hit on his own, it's great.

Stalagsquig is the weakest but a free 5++ on one wound is still good. On that note, his profile says 8 wounds but realistically he has 11 because of the minions. Even better when you drop a minion the wound is actually negated which lets you stop some rather nasty effects. Classic dankhold stats elsewhere are just solid 4+ save, 6" move, troggregen, 4+ spell ignore and the +1 bravery aura.

The key part of getting the most out of him is actually realising you don't have to assign wounds to the minions. Seems obvious but it makes a massive difference in game. You take 7 wounds on mollog before allocating to the minions, this leave all of those wounds open to be healed. The turn my opponent finally got him to 1 wound so i would have to start losing minions only to have me get 6 wounds back was brutal.

So yeah, tons of utility, pumps mortal wounds, 4+ save and 11 wounds all for a bargin 170 points! Mollog is fantastic. He's honestly why I say normal dankholds should be 160-170.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2019 at 7:32 AM, Seanwise23 said:

My one defeat was to kunnin rukk savage orks. Between the hit and speed buffs they decimated my army and for the fact that he got the double turn he was able to clean house. One note: the first 30 boys got smashed by the trolls when he charged with them, so if I could of gone first for the second turn there was a chance to hit the last 30 man archer unit, but it's a dice game. Also, I could not get the mushroom to go off on the first turn to thin them out.

Question for you, was this Byron Orde's army that you played against?

If so, can you remember what was in there please?  Interested because it's another Destruction army that did well.

27 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Question about Mollog. Does he trigger look out sir on himself? He is a non monster hero but also a unit with 4 models and he is within 3" of himself. Is this a hidden strategy or not?

All of the individual "models" are treated as one Model for the purposes of the rules. So no as he's a unit of 1 Model.

Been playing about with this for a double Hag list, again trying to stick to pure Trogg and getting some extra magic in...

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
- Artefact: Argentine's Tooth 
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Artefact: Alchemical Chain 
Troggoth Hag (380)

Battleline
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 92

...just one option for Artefacts,  this one would give 3 dispels a turn 

7 hours ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

Been playing about with this for a double Hag list, again trying to stick to pure Trogg and getting some extra magic in...

Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
- Artefact: Argentine's Tooth 
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Artefact: Alchemical Chain 
Troggoth Hag (380)

Battleline

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 92

...just one option for Artefacts,  this one would give 3 dispels a turn 

I am interested in a list like this. It’s almost like a slower beastclaw list but has access to magic and regen 

This is what I'm building with Troggs focus

Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Troggoth Hag (380)
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)
20 x Shootas (130)
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 170

No idea what artefacts or command trait yet.

Edited by newsun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, newsun said:

This is what I'm building with Troggs focus

Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Troggoth Hag (380)
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)
20 x Shootas (130)
60 x Stabbas (360)
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 170

No idea what artefacts it command trait yet.

My current build is similar to this,and im having a solid amount of success wrapping the Fellwaters with grots for the additional net debuff.

My build--

Skragrott-General--Hand of Gork

Fungoid-Great Green Spite

Troggoth Hag-Gryph Feather

40 Spear grots

20 Spear grots

20 Shootas

3x Fellwater Troggoths

3x Fellwater Troggoths

6x Rockgut Troggoths

5 Squig Hoppers

Chonomatic Gogs

2000 pts

Im trying out the Hag in this list ,removing the Troggboss,,even though he pounded face last fight,I want to see if the extra utility of the Hag is worth it,,no need for the boss to make Troggs Battleline since I have 3 grot blocks.

3 games now,the shootas with their measly 3 netters with one group of Fellwaters either in the front row or one row back has been a real pain for the opponent to deal with,,last game they held up a Stardrake that moved in and thought it was going to be an easy takedown.

Porting the 6 Rockguts around along with the Cog charge bonus is money..the flat 3 damage on the Rockguts is devistating.

I was also using a group of 10 Boingrots to port around,,which worked fair enough,but the thing that is turning me off on Boingrots is that they really loose out in the inevitable grinding combat that takes place over the next few turns after they have shot their charge wad..they really dont do much.

Ive tried squig centered lists and grot centered lists(60 and 40 size blocks) both have thier strenths but both lack in either mobility or staying power.The Trolls on the other hand,in combination with grot nets,magic and their regeneration seems to be a bit of a sweet spot,,especially in scenarios with fewer objectives were you can send out your 40 block of grots with Trolls  and a hero embeded and make for a great anchor for the rest of the army to work with.

So I've posted it in the generic thread but adding it here for discussion purposes. I'm finding much the same as @Thostos in how well grots and troggs synergies although I've been keeping them a bit more independent from each other.

The list I'm painting towards is this. Either with the troggboss general using GhyrBlow or have him using the 6++ vs spells and Skragrott as the general. The second option is tech against the warplighting vortex and has some pretty funny options for dispelling the scuttletide when you want to charge.

Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
20 x Shootas (130)
20 x Shootas (130)

Units
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)

Wounds: 174

Wounds, damage, board control, 10 point triumph, 4 tanky objective holding heroes and a solid spell phase. What's not to love!

• Like 1

So after my third one day tournament I have honed on the best list yet going neck to neck with DoK, SC and Slanesh demons. I find the Hag to be too expensive in a troggoth list that needs a lot of bodies so I swapped her for Mollog who I think is a solid tanky hero and small casters. I think the Troggboss benefits most from a tank afterfact rather than Ghyrstrike as it gets shredded by almost anything with even -1 rend. I would probably go ethereal amulet or Grypfeather charm. So now the list is 

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)

• General 
  • Mightyblow
  • Gryphfeather Charm

Mollog (170)

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

• Hand of Gork

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

• Ichy Nuisance

Madcap Shaman (80)

• Great Green Spite

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
9 x Fellwater Troggoths (480)  (I would like to try 9 rockguts but dont have the models)

Endless Spells

Morks Mighty Mushroom (80)
Scuttletide (30)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

If you dont run Troggoth battleline I would never run a Troggboss in my list its almost never worth the points as its over costed as hell.

25 minutes ago, Eevika said:

If you dont run Troggoth battleline I would never run a Troggboss in my list its almost never worth the points as its over costed as hell.

Imo he is good for the damage potential and rr1s to hit. I'd also be taking him for the potential to dispell endless spells which is just insane given some of the current ones floating around.

He works as a tanky support hero who is good for command point burning on my key units.

I agree he's probably overcosted, 220-240 seems more reasonable, but the list is a whole lot worse without him.

6 hours ago, Malakree said:

Imo he is good for the damage potential and rr1s to hit. I'd also be taking him for the potential to dispell endless spells which is just insane given some of the current ones floating around.

He works as a tanky support hero who is good for command point burning on my key units.

I agree he's probably overcosted, 220-240 seems more reasonable, but the list is a whole lot worse without him.

I mean if you just cut the Troggboss and downgrade a fungoid to a madcap you can get 6 more Troggoths and that would actually make your list better. 

6 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

I dont think he's that far over costed imo. His stats are pretty damn good with greater than average survivability for its damage output. And it can get look out sir and doesn't degrade. A 440 maw krusha wishes it could do half as much as this guy does

To be fair the cabbage is about 120 points overcosted so that's not exactly a good comparison ;) 

1 hour ago, Eevika said:

I mean if you just cut the Troggboss and downgrade a fungoid to a madcap you can get 6 more Troggoths and that would actually make your list better. 

Madcaps are significantly worse than the fungoid, to the point that unless they are taking a madcap specific artefact you should never take on. I think you're also underestimating the force multiplier effect, improved regen ability and the strength of a 12 wound foot hero with an artefact for the missions it matters on.

10 minutes ago, ShaneHobbes said:

I dont think he's that far over costed imo. His stats are pretty damn good with greater than average survivability for its damage output. And it can get look out sir and doesn't degrade. A 440 maw krusha wishes it could do half as much as this guy does

His damage output is so random without CT and Artefact its actually ridiculously bad. Survivability is very mediocer with no MW save and only a 4+ save he is good vs lots of magic but thats that. CA is also mediocer at best.

I used a Dankboss with Blade of Hammerhal Ghyra and Pulverising Grip the other day, and he squished 6 Chaos knights with his fist and flattened the rest of the 10 man unit pretty much alone (so that was his points back through just damage, not factoring other trolls he buffs and bravery ((which saved a unit of gobbos))). I think his reroll 1s are actually massive, especially to Rockguts. I also think his small base-to-power ratio is a huge factor in his cost, he packs so much damage for such a small base that he can just get places that monsters can't. Also not being a monster is big, because cover and look out sir. Super hard to pick off; only point where he's as vulnerable as anything else is melee, but he can make sure smaller enemy models back the hell up by picking them up.

yeah the Dankhold is the only unit that take advantages of the double heal the most since he can heal a max of 6 wounds while the other Trogg can only heal three wound maximum and do sort of degrade if you lose a model.

still they could probably be cheaper in point like @Malakree stated.

I do feel like with all the Mortal wound coming from shooting and ability and not from actual spells, I feel like you need Ignax's scale on the boss to negate some of the mortal wounds, or take the risk with Glowy Howzit

I'm building a mainly Troggoth army, but possibly with some Stabbas (or Squigs if the new box set is good) and wizards.  Beside one Fungoid, I've been considering the Webspinner Shaman with the "Curse of da Spider God" spell and Scuttletide. Just wondering whether anyone has tried it out in a non-spider army or has thoughts about it- it seems better than the Madcap with a 5+ extra save and +1 to cast Scuttletide (I know his own spell is useless but he can only cast one anyway).

31 minutes ago, novakai said:

I do feel like with all the Mortal wound coming from shooting and ability and not from actual spells, I feel like you need Ignax's scale on the boss to negate some of the mortal wounds, or take the risk with Glowy Howzit

Other than the Warp lightning Cannon where are these ranged MW coming from outside of spells? The only ones I can think of are 1/2 rare shooting attacks which do mortals on 6s or the terroghiest scream which he's bravery 8 against.