Upcoming FAQ and small Community Rant

Vextol

10 minutes ago, Gotrek said:

apologies, usually when people complain about kroak its his celestial deliverance spell. i forgot about the comet. is plague squall one from the book? its not on his warscroll. plague wind is but its 14".

for list variations, sadly most armies are locked into that (witch aelf bricks w/ hagg nar for DoK, zilfin alpha strike for KO, etc) when they want to perform at their highest. 

Plague Squall is from the book. I'm told it has unlimited range but dont have access to the book.

I enjoy death armies because there is a bit of variation, especially allying in nighthaunt stuff. I also like having more than 1 battalion to choose from. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Plague Squall is from the book. I'm told it has unlimited range but dont have access to the book.

I enjoy death armies because there is a bit of variation, especially allying in nighthaunt stuff. I also like having more than 1 battalion to choose from. 

actually i find Legions battalions really limiting (except maybe deathmarch) because of the price tags on the named heroes. but i love the khorne battalions, they seem much more relaxed and with better bonuses.

edit: that said there is something to be said for just having more than 1 choice. at least then you have the illusion of choice

Just now, Gotrek said:

actually i find Legions battalions really limiting (except maybe deathmarch) because of the price tags on the named heroes. but i love the khorne battalions, they seem much more relaxed and with better bonuses.

Fair call. A mate plays khorne but it requires a lot of synergy. Hes getting much better with his buffing. 

At least death have more than 1 battalion ;)

I just want to chime in and say that points aren't the best way of balancing things.
Points are at best an approximation of relative usefulness on the table especially in a game with dice and measuring sticks.
There are two possibilities; a unit is very good and is in almost everylist (witch elf hag with brew) and other units are shelf warmers, very rarely if ever see the table (exalted deathbringer)
A unit is deemed good or bad depending on how consistently it does the job. Having a unique role automatically makes a model good at that, but how useful the thing actually is depends on how consistently it can be done.
In our example the exalted deathbringer is just another 5 wound combat hero that the army is full of. On the other hand the witch hag is the only one to automatically give these bonuses to whole units.

If you modify the points of either by a little bit it won't make any difference, if the hag goes up to 70 points, it will still be the best model in that role, heck even if it doubled in points it would still be the best, so it'll still be in every list.
The same goes for the bad units; half their points cost maybe, but do they become more useful? only if some other option in the list that does the same thing becomes relatively more expensive.

The problem is that people seem to think that equal points means equal balance, when in fact no. It's just an approximation.
Actually modifying rules text can be a better option but GW won't do it because it would require modifying printed material which would be expensive to replace and messy if it's literally cut out and paste text updates (like they tried before)

So in other words points aren't the best way to do it, but it's all we have. So best hope GW get these upcoming battletomes right.

Archived