What factions/combinations are most suitable for a future box set mini-release?

Kyriakin

To avoid derailing the Rumours thread too much, I was wondering what other box sets make sense - both in terms of potential storyline adversaries and a smattering of new model releases. This seems to be have been "a thing" for GW since the Daemons of Nurgle release, but we didn't know it at the time.

Although Skryre buck the trend somewhat - as they have such a large and dated range - it generally seems to lean more into factions where an additional/replacement kit or two could really make a difference, such as FEC and various god-aligned chaos daemons. Therefore, factions like Seraphon, Soulblight/LoB, Clan Eshin and the remaining Clan Skryre are probably best saved for a Nighthaunt/Moonclan-style mega-release.

The factions where this kind of mini-release seems most applicable to me are...:

- BCR: cats (replace) + Yhetees (replace) + Frostlord on Mournfang (new)

- Dispossessed*: Centrepiece urgently needed (new Anvil of Doom or golem-thing?)

- Wanderers*: Centrepiece urgently needed (new Forest Dragon?)

- Clan Pestilens: Censer Bearers (replace) + Plague Priest (replace)

- Ironjawz: No replacements, but a couple of new kits.

- Fyreslayers: No replacements, but a couple of new kits. Something more fire-related, like the Kdaai Fireborn, would really help them  sell their gimmick better.

Tomb Kings*: As a crazy left-field thought, imagine if a few of the discontinued plastic Tomb Kings kits (i.e. sphinx, snakes, tomb guard) suddenly ended up on one side of a new box, with a new plastic character and plastic ushabti. That would be mental.

* Assuming GW plans to to support these factions in some way.

Anyway, personally I would go for...

(1) Ironjawz vs. BCR: They could be presented as being two competing forces, but could also be combined as a single Braggoth's-style army. Personally, I'd make this more of a cat-dominated Skal BCR, rather than the usual Start Collecting monster mash.

or...

(2) Fyreslayers vs. BCR: Would provide a nice juxtaposition, and the "Fire and Ice" name/gimmick kind of writes itself.

Oi, I did it last year! 😜

It is also interesting that the new box is....a little "left field" in terms of theme. I'm not sure anyone could have predicted Skaven/skryre vs FEC. So for all we know a future box could be KO vs BCR!

But Fyreslayers vs BCR would be cool with the fire vs ice thing. Or maybe Seraphon vs Darkoath since we know eventually Darkoath/whatever chaos undivided will be called are coming out and it could be a decent way to get some new dino-daemon folk (like a plastic slaan!)

11 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Kharadrons vs Tzeentch  Daemons.

We see it a fair bit in the artwork, mostly on account of the 'Sharks' and bird theme.

I think we see too much of it also Tzeentch seems unlikely to get new stuff as it seems too recent. Or has that much time passed already? I think Ironjaws makes the next most sense. Also ko need a few new models to really shine. 1. a hero that makes thunderers battleline 2.  A big buffing ship of some sort 3. Melee troops. 4. Delicate combat ship with no transport capacity. 

Steel and Oak - Kharadron vs  Sylvaneth could be a lot of fun. We haven't seen much of a Duarden v. elfy rivalry come forward yet in AoS. But we do have hints that Sylvaneth has had clashes with industrious factions before like Grey water Fastness.

Could introduce a new small vessel like a Gyrocopter for the Kharadron, and maybe some kind of flyer unit for Sylvaneth. Plus this would lead nicely into a desperately needed KO Battletome and a Syl Battletome with an endless spell.

Primal Hunt - Seraphon vs. Bonesplitterz

I always was waiting for a Seraphon versus Skaven box but I guess this will have to do. Monsters versus Monster Hunters. The Seraphon have some of the most brutal behemoths in the game, so would be a lot of fun to play with.

Seraphon get a new Plastic Salamander/ Razordon model, along with a Plastic Sunblood to lead their fury.

Bonesplitterz desperately need a centerpiece model, so some kind of big mobile war altar or a pair of monster riders of their own. 

4 hours ago, Barbossal said:

Steel and Oak - Kharadron vs  Sylvaneth could be a lot of fun. We haven't seen much of a Duarden v. elfy rivalry come forward yet in AoS. But we do have hints that Sylvaneth has had clashes with industrious factions before like Grey water Fastness.

Could introduce a new small vessel like a Gyrocopter for the Kharadron, and maybe some kind of flyer unit for Sylvaneth. Plus this would lead nicely into a desperately needed KO Battletome and a Syl Battletome with an endless spell.

Primal Hunt - Seraphon vs. Bonesplitterz

I always was waiting for a Seraphon versus Skaven box but I guess this will have to do. Monsters versus Monster Hunters. The Seraphon have some of the most brutal behemoths in the game, so would be a lot of fun to play with.

Seraphon get a new Plastic Salamander/ Razordon model, along with a Plastic Sunblood to lead their fury.

Bonesplitterz desperately need a centerpiece model, so some kind of big mobile war altar or a pair of monster riders of their own. 

Steel and Oak - nice idea since KO and Sylvaneth bands for Underworlds will be released together.

Honestly any faction fits into these kinds of box and the nature of the Realms means that whilst there are a few key grudge matches, any faction can play any faction and have a story grudge and reason for the combat. Balance isn't critical between the forces as the custom rules in the set can sort of gloss over if there's a significant power difference; plus they are more about models than they are about rules and internal balance. 

How about something a bit more left field than 2 armies, how about e.g. Monster hunters

Comes with s couple or destruction war bands, some giants and a playmat. The players control the warbands and a simple AI or other player controls giant(s). Aim to capture the giant for the glory of your warband. On the other side all models combine into one army.

Archived