'Start collecting' boxes worth getting?

Damian

Looking to invest in an army but looking which 'Start collecting' box has the most use...

Some of the boxes are full of units that are rarely, if ever used in most of the army roster lists I have seen so would appear to be a waste to buy...

Example being the Nurgle box full of plague bearers and plague drones, when virtually every army list I have seen for Nurgle contains varying amounts of pusgoyle blightlords, Blughtkings and a few heroes, making the 'Start collecting' box immaterial (unless you are more of a painter than a player).

A good one would be the 'Fyreslayer' box, as it contains units that are virtually mandatory in making an army.

So, which ones are worth investing in and which ones are best to avoid?

It's variable - Fyreslayers is almost a must buy because it basically has most of their army in the box itself; the only time you'll stop getting them is when you can't think of any more use of magmadragons. 

Otherwise also remember that what gets used and posted online is only one view of the meta - often weighted toward the competitive end. Plus variations in choice are out there and GW is more active today (than it ever has been in recent years) with having more options in a codex/battletome being viable as opposed to a lot of dross with a few choices. 

I would say that they are all worth it if you want the models in the box. It realy comes down to if the SC box is for an army you want to collect. Also don't forget that there are the Battleforces out now for some armies which can offer a significant deal as well.

I'd say forget the finances end of things when looking at SC boxes and instead look at what army you want to collect and go from there. Remembering that even if something like the Fyreslayers box itself is avery good deal; the army itself is expensive and you will need more troop boxes over time than SC boxes. 

They almost universally give a good discount on the product inside.  Age of Sigmar seems to me to generally be even better in regards to being overall good deals for the Start Collectimg boxes.  Some of them are seriously good deals.

But, as @Overread mentioned, it also depends on if you want most/all of the models in the box.  If you think you can use all of the components for your chosen force then the Start Collecting box is always a good deal.

If you want to start a Flesh Eater army then its a great investment! :)

Typically when choosing an army most people focus on two aspects

1) Visual design and theme - ergo what it looks like and the lore behind it. Ergo the whole fluffy, story visual appeal of the army. 

2) The gameplay design. Both how powerful it is to play and how it plays. Some armies are hoards with large model counts; some are elites with a few; some are ranged focused; some are close combat; some are magic heavy etc..

The variation between the two is different for different people. One can also throw in price to start/build as a consideration to keep in mind too, though most armies tend to run to the same amount as you grow them to a large varied force. Some are cheaper to get into and some have less model variety etc...

The one caution to buying a "cheap" army is that you might end up with one that you don't visually like as much so building and painting ( a big time sink ) isn't as fun nor rewarding. Whilst gameplay might also not be to your style (accepting that sometimes you don't know your preferred style until you've played for a while). 

So if you like the models, like the army and want to make a flesh eating army then by all means go forth and build that mighty force :)

1 hour ago, Overread said:

If you want to start a Flesh Eater army then its a great investment! :)

Typically when choosing an army most people focus on two aspects

1) Visual design and theme - ergo what it looks like and the lore behind it. Ergo the whole fluffy, story visual appeal of the army. 

2) The gameplay design. Both how powerful it is to play and how it plays. Some armies are hoards with large model counts; some are elites with a few; some are ranged focused; some are close combat; some are magic heavy etc..

The variation between the two is different for different people. One can also throw in price to start/build as a consideration to keep in mind too, though most armies tend to run to the same amount as you grow them to a large varied force. Some are cheaper to get into and some have less model variety etc...

The one caution to buying a "cheap" army is that you might end up with one that you don't visually like as much so building and painting ( a big time sink ) isn't as fun nor rewarding. Whilst gameplay might also not be to your style (accepting that sometimes you don't know your preferred style until you've played for a while). 

So if you like the models, like the army and want to make a flesh eating army then by all means go forth and build that mighty force :)

Don't get me wrong, for the right army i'm more than willing to invest the desired funds for said army, but i'm also not averse to getting a bargain or two 🙂

By the way, how are the Flesh eater courts? on a gameplay perspective?   I'll mostly be up against my friends Stormcast and mixed Chaos army.

My other choice was either Fyreslayers (although they seem very outdated at the moment) and Beasts of chaos 

Archived