Carrion Empire

5 hours ago, Lucio said:

Gut instinct suggests that Skaven will collapse to a similar 3 faction option, Pestilens, Skyre and Moulder to the Gloomspite Gitz and Legion of Nagash.

This. Makes the most sense. 

Skryre/Moulder the inventors of the underempire

Pestilens their own religious nutters

Verminus and Eshin would do well as the blades of skavendom and part of a combo-book that gets shared as the grunt force of others. 

Skaven is hard to fix for all reasons people have mentioned, lots of old, out of place, or resin/metal models with square bases and blank white boxes!

I cant see that being a great promotion of a new battle tome. 

Skryre and Pestilens form the best foundations to expand on in terms of existing ranges. 

Most importantly, look at the direction of AOS. It's about creating factions with identities and specializations, that have lots of synergies and lore supported combinations. 

Skaven-soup would need so many additions to get anywhere near Gloomspite's level of synergy and theming. 

So if its a combined skaven faction, maybe best as bandaid LoN rules only,  releasing a small range of additional models really isnt cutting it.

A good possibility maybe a clan focus battletome with possible mergers where they may cut stuff and drop parts and reinvent new parts. Sorta combining skaven or parts of it!

Personally hope for the latter.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be possible to include everything in a single book with 4 allegiances: Pestilens, Skryre, Moulder and Masterclan(or Veminus). Masterclan would be used as a general, everything goes faction, while the other 3 would be more specialized factions. Grey Seers and Eshin assassins would be available to all.

See, when I touch briefly Warhammer Fantasy in the late 90s, I loved the Skavens for two reasons: first they're insane. And what that mean is that they are so many skavens that they can totally afford to used semi-suicidal guns that blows up in their face half the time, or a big mouse-wheel who's sole purpose is to ram into the enemy ranks at high speed and explode the moment it hit a slight bump in the battlefield. Because, what's a few hundred suckers when you have millions?

And second, the amazing diversity of the army. Again, that's driven by the large amount of ratmen, but also by all the specialized clans. With just the four Great Clans, GW has enough material and freedom to make the Skaven that is even more diversified than the Stormcasts. No other army has hordes and technology, and mutated monsters, and assassins, and mages, and swarms, and god avatars. And stuff that mixes all of that.

And I really hope we keep all of that together. And that they push the creativity with all the clans. More crazy machines and contraptions. More mutated rats. More flatulence jokes (a.k.a. poison winds). And above all, bring back the darn flame-throwers, it's not a real skaven party if I can't cook my enemies in green fire!

I think Eshin will stay around in some form because they were in Malign Portents (and caused the Necroquake). If they were to be dropped they would have used a different Skaven Clan for the sabotage. There were also the Skaven Deathrunners from Warhammer Quest, and the mixed clan Clawpack of Shadespire. Maybe Eshin could be consolidated with the Grey seers as a faction, Grey Seers being the brains and Eshin being the hidden eyes and hands of the Skaven leaders.

I'm truly surprised with this box, especially with FEC and their new model. Honestly I thought that armies like FEC or Bonesplitterz will never be updated and soon forgotten. This is a great news because if GW is willing to update these factions, even with 1 new model, then there is a chance for more and even bigger that they will update factions like Fyreslayers and Ironjawz with new releases. 

For me, Pestilens (virus), Eshin (assassin) and Skryre (tech) are the three strongest clans thematically, and I can see Verminus and Moulder eventually falling by the wayside or becoming a mere ally pool.

Of course, a returning "new" Clan with a strong identity such as Skurvy (nautical) of Volkn (fire/magma) - or even something completely new - may also be released.

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

I'm truly surprised with this box, especially with FEC and their new model. Honestly I thought that armies like FEC or Bonesplitterz will never be updated and soon forgotten. This is a great news because if GW is willing to update these factions, even with 1 new model, then there is a chance for more and even bigger that they will update factions like Fyreslayers and Ironjawz with new releases. 

They already confirmed a while back they will be swinging back round for Ironjawz wave 2 at some point. 

Neil 

46 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

For me, Pestilens (virus), Eshin (assassin) and Skryre (tech) are the three strongest clans thematically, and I can see Verminus and Moulder eventually falling by the wayside or becoming a mere ally pool.

Of course, a returning "new" Clan with a strong identity such as Skurvy (nautical) of Volkn (fire/magma) - or even something completely new - may also be released.

Considering new skaven lore, Skurvy and Volkn would be incorporated into the Grand Clans (Verminus and Skryre respectively) as sub-clans. And I agree with @Skreech Verminking - unending hordes of Clanrats are essence of skaven nature (same goes for mutated beasts rushed by Packmasters).

11 hours ago, Ungface said:

I cant see the releasing a soup tome while also saying "50% of your kits are metal or finecast with the wrong base lol enjoy"

I imagine they will do 1 box that can be built as multiple weapon teams, another of acolytes and maybe new rat ogres. 

6 minutes ago, Laststand said:

I imagine they will do 1 box that can be built as multiple weapon teams, another of acolytes and maybe new rat ogres. 

Combined Battletomes of...

Legions of Nagash... no new models
Beasts of Chaos... no new models
Gloomspite Gitz... complete overhaul and expansion. Massive release of new models, great result and feels totally new and up to date with AOS setting.

However, Skaven are even bigger than moonclan/spider/troggs and have even more old models that need redoing.

It feels like it would be a precedent for them to release 3-4 kits which wouldn't even expand an old WHFB army, and not achieve much in terms of new ground. Very curious as to what they have planned...

30 minutes ago, michu said:

Considering new skaven lore, Skurvy and Volkn would be incorporated into the Grand Clans (Verminus and Skryre respectively) as sub-clans. And I agree with @Skreech Verminking - unending hordes of Clanrats are essence of skaven nature (same goes for mutated beasts rushed by Packmasters).

Perhaps, but Pestilens definitely feel separate to me. I believe there is a historical precedent for this, and it's not like they are short of hordes of bodies in-house.

Let’s see her.

non plastic models/unit that need do be redone:

-Arch warlock

-walrock engineer

-acolytes

-all weapon teams (5total)

-gutterrunners

-Skaven assassin

Plastc models that need to be redone:

-Rat ogres

-Packmaster

-nightrunners

-plague monks

-plague censer bearers

giant rats (maybe)

possiblitys of making multi build box sets:

-nightrunners/gutterrunners

-plague monks/plague censer bearers

-rat ogres with packmasters

-a boxset of 5weapon teams 

-Archwarlock/warlock engineer

-acolytes/something new maybe

-skaven assassin

I agree with most of that, but do we need new plague monks? Current ones are easy to paint and wear hoods so it's not that obvious they are dreaded "monkey-rats". 

PS. It's a pity that current Arch-warlock and Assassin are not plastic - they are great sculpts

2 minutes ago, michu said:

I agree with most of that, but do we need new plague monks? Current ones are easy to paint and wear hoods so it's not that obvious they are dreaded "monkey-rats". 

Nah plague monks are kind of ok.

just nightrunners need an overhaul in their form. they look more like a monkeys rather than as rats

This is total speculation, but I think Skaven are in line for a bigger update than FEC are. The Moonclan update sets a precedent here. The first hints at new mutant spider-grots was in Silver Tower, followed by a new hero in Malign Portents and an Underworlds warband. The other faction that fits that exact pattern is Chaos Marauders/Darkoath, but Skaven aren't far off - somebody at GW has been designing Skaven models for the last couple of years, the only question is how many.

FEC are a different case - they've not really shown up anywhere else for the last couple of years. In that regard they're much more like Beastmen. I agree that a few new models, a terrain piece, endless spells and a book are the most obvious releases for them.

It would be strange if they just made LON style book with Skaven. They have so much AOS potential with Skyre being top tech faction, Moulder being mutant, Eshin assassin and Pestilence poison. Great material to work with. Each can be a seperete faction and be great at it. 

Honestly I‘d like if they released models for both factions simultaneously like the following:

There‘s a small narrative event of a huge war which no one on the surface even notices. This event continues for 2-4 weeks, while they release a small story every week followed by a new unit.

start: the new boxed set.

week 1:

both armies clash: New battleline unit for both and the new heroes (smaller support characters).

week 2:

1-2 elites per Army are revealed

week 3:

reveal of one big kit each (varghulf vs rat ogres)

week 4:

A cavalry or other new unit for both + terrain piece out of which both armies swarm forth to carry their war to the surface. + Battletome.

6 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Honestly I‘d like if they released models for both factions simultaneously like the following:

There‘s a small narrative event of a huge war which no one on the surface even notices. This event continues for 2-4 weeks, while they release a small story every week followed by a new unit.

start: the new boxed set.

week 1:

both armies clash: New battleline unit for both and the new heroes (smaller support characters).

week 2:

1-2 elites per Army are revealed

week 3:

reveal of one big kit each (varghulf vs rat ogres)

week 4:

A cavalry or other new unit for both + terrain piece out of which both armies swarm forth to carry their war to the surface. + Battletome.

Would be very cool. But them I would have to paint fast to play the units that the story revolves around to use them. So a bit more painting time wouldn't be amiss ;) 

If Skaven are united it's going to be all the clans. But they can all take Clan Rats as battleline, and take the other clans stuff. 

A verminous warlord clan along with the elite stormvermin will have moulder orges, skrye warmachines, eshin assassins and sometimes pestilens plague weapons. 

1 hour ago, Rid said:

Always imagined they would take skaven down the castle wolfenstein / ****** / weird war trope more 

That would be both awesome and fit entirely. I mean they're practically already there, Moulder makes the frankenstein-esk monstrosities, Skryre has the superior totally working as intended tech, Verminus supplies the soldiers, Pestilens is the biological warfare and Eshin are spec ops.

I'm not liking the box, then again neither faction interests me.
It's the new style of preorder box: Get two new characters now if you buy this bundle of old sprues !
Indeed they're great for starting a new faction, but aren't as interesting for those that have already started those factions.

Flesheater courts dearly need some fleshing out. whilst the background is funny the army itself is just a lot of pale naked dudes, not very interesting.
I'd look forward to a total rehash that turns them into an interesting compelling faction.

I can't stand Skaven, because they were GW favourite for so long, having access to all the things: massive nigh unbreakable horde units, useful elite units, powerful magic, powerful warmachines, monsters, hidden assassins. Their only downsides were the lack of cavalry (But Mvt 6" lol) and low Ld (but there were special rules to counter that)
So I'd rather NOT see a unified Skaven tome. I'd rather see 4 battletomes, one for each faction of skaven, and whilst clanrats would be battleline for all of them, everything else would be allies, making unified skaven possible, but not the norm.

1 hour ago, azoxystrobin said:

I can't stand Skaven, because they were GW favourite for so long, 

If you say so. Only have been apart of the Warhammer Community since 8th edition fantasy.

1 hour ago, azoxystrobin said:

So I'd rather NOT see a unified Skaven tome. I'd rather see 4 battletomes, one for each faction of skaven, and whilst clanrats would be battleline for all of them, everything else would be allies, making unified skaven possible, but not the norm.

You Argumentes are in someway interesting although I’ll have to disagree with them.

Yes skaven do have many option to their arsenal. Although most of it usually have a very low armoursave. Also it makes the faction so extremely interesting.

being able to field warmaschines, beasts and other crazy stuff that can literally tear your foe and sometimes even your own units apart, is what makes the skaven unic.

also why not have an army that has option like this available?

we already have a almost only shooting armie, armies that are meant for combat, and armies that go, for a full horde aspect.

Why not have an armie that combines everything together.

isnt this what makes the armies and especially the skaven so unic.

i would love to see this unicness to stay.

Archived