Gitmob Grots Removed from NZ Store following the Gloomspite Gits Launch

Barbossal

Interesting discussion to be had here, so let's keep it clean.

GW has removed all non-Gloomspite Grots from their webstore following the launch of Gloomspite Grots.

This means all the Gitmob models are now gone. While they are not a compendium race as of now, this likely means they've fallen out of official useage and support. Perhaps we'll see them move into the Compendium this year?

What other models could be affected with future releases? As far as I'm aware, aside from the initial purge of legacy Fantasy Battles content, we've never seen models drop out of the store. Perhaps Greenskin Orruks would disappear after a revised Ironjawz launch.

DISCUSS!

Link: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Warhammer?N=737771287+3930206336&amp;Nr=AND(sku.siteId%3ANZ_gw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_NZ_gw)&amp;Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[product.startDate+<%3D+1546682760000+and+product.endDate+>%3D+1546682760000]

• Like 2

This is presumably the fate of all the legacy models over time. It's a real shame for the people trying to make their Warhammer models work in Age of Sigmar.

I wonder what this means for the like of Dispossessed.

Edited by DakkaDude

Greenskinz are already dropping out, I know not every region is the same but in the UK the warboss is NLA and I can’t see the start collecting box on there either. 

I’ve got myself a growing Orcs and Goblins army that I love but I’ve always been half expecting this. It is what it is, and I really enjoy the AoS setting and am happy to play with the newer factions (please dont get rid of the skaven though GW!)

I’m seriously considering re-rebasing my Greenskins to squares and playing some 6th Ed WHFB with them.

19 minutes ago, DakkaDude said:

This is presumably the fate of all the legacy models over time. It's a real shame for the people trying to make their Warhammer models work in Age of Sigmar.

In my opinion - Dispossessed/Free Guild/etc. are probably relatively safe. They have an allegiance in the GHB series, so there is likely SOME intention of keeping them around.

GHB Allegiance Abilities: Darkling Covens

• Dispossessed
  • Free Peoples
  • Fyreslayers
  • Seraphon
  • Wanderers
  • Brayherds
  • Slaanesh
  • Slaves to Darkness
  • Skaven Pestilens
  • Skaven Skryre
  • Flesh-eater Courts
  • Ironjawz

Some armies without an Allegiance Ability: Lots of Elf factions, Greenskins, Gutbusters, Skaven Verminus/Moulder,Masterclan/Eshin, Devoted of Sigmar, Collegiate.

I think PARTS of Skaven will go away like Giant Rats and Rat Swarms but they are pretty safe

I'm a bit conflicted on this as a long-time Orcs & Goblins player that collected the full spread of that army since the 90s.

On the one hand, Night Goblins is my favorite army in any wargame ever (I have collected and played a lot of games over the years) and I am absolutely over the moon with what GW is doing with that army.  It has always been a niche subfaction and I never at all thought they would get their own army book.  I am beyond excited for this (even if the rules suck! but the snippets previewed certainly don't).  Forest Goblins were my second favorite and I am glad to see that they are sticking around and being incorporated with the Night Goblins - even if they do not appear to be getting any new models.

I also collected a full Black Orc army back in the days of Storm of Chaos when they finally released rules allowing you to actually field that army.  So I was excited to see the Black Orcs concept expanded into what we know of as the Ironjawz (the whole army is basically a dialed up Black Orc army - not just the Ardboyz).  And I had a medium Savage Orc army and I like how they have brought them into AoS as Bonesplitterz.

So in regards to my old collection I feel that GW has treated it quite well and developed my favorite parts.

I am a big fan of Common Orcs, but Gitmob was my least favorite part of Orcs & Goblins (but I still have a large force of them).  I enjoyed the chariots & artillery, but I have wanted GW to make new Wolf Riders for well over a decade now.  I just don't like the plastic wolves from the 90s (the Space Wolf Fenrisian wolf kit is stellar though).  In addition, I kept hoping that GW would give Gitmob (or Common Goblins) an identity.  I liked the few Mongol elements they had in the army and I kept hoping they would just go all-in on mongol goblin wolf-riders.  I would still really like to see that happen.  But, if GW could only expand one more goblin force in the future then I would prefer they go all in on a Spiderfang expansion and deprecate the Gitmob.  I also think a lot of interesting ideas have been floated in AoS for Grots - such as steampunk Sky Pirates.  I would probably be more interested to see those concepts realized than the existing Gitmob limp along.

I really love my Common Orcs and I have about 200ish of them.  I think there is room in the game for the "basic" races such as dwarfs, elfs humans, orcs, etc and I would like to see GW do something with them at some point.  For Orcs, I would not mind them being folded into Ironjawz in more of a big-tent Waaagh! book whenever GW gets back around to updating Ironjawz.  Maybe update the standard on-foot & warboss kits. 

I think it would be a shame if Greenskinz went away entirely and I feel the same about Dispossessed & Free People.  In regards to Order, I think it would be cool to bundle up the Old World remnant races and create an army of the Free Cities sort of thing that represented that all of these races now live in the same cities and are part of the same society.  I really enjoy that part of the Age of Sigmar universe and I would like to see it play out on the table other than in niche Grand Alliance Order lists.

GW needs to do something with these various disparate old allegiances to clean up the game.  I am sure they want to get rid of old product that is less popular and they also want to have room to expand with new ideas (light & shadow elves for example).  So it makes sense for them to do some amount of consolidation, update, and deprecation.  At this point I would like to see them make an effort to get that done rather than limp along in the WFB/AoS limbo that we have been in for a while.  Clean up the loose ends from WFB and set the stage for AoS moving forward.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Barbossal said:

I think PARTS of Skaven will go away like Giant Rats and Rat Swarms but they are pretty safe

I expect that Skaven will get the Gloomspite Gitz style treatment in 2020.  My prediction is that we will see some parts of the line go away, but the whole thing will get a huge make-over involving a lot of new kits or old kits updated and it will finally fulfill the crazy AoS potential that our Rat friends are overflowing with.  Like Night Goblins the Skaven are simply too unique a part of Warhammer for GW to drop them.  But, I think it will be a big enough undertaking that we probably won't see it this year.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

GW needs to do something with these various disparate old allegiances to clean up the game.  I am sure they want to get rid of old product that is less popular and they also want to have room to expand with new ideas (light & shadow elves for example).  So it makes sense for them to do some amount of consolidation, update, and deprecation.  At this point I would like to see them make an effort to get that done rather than limp along in the WFB/AoS limbo that we have been in for a while.  Clean up the loose ends from WFB and set the stage for AoS moving forward.

Some good thoughts here, I kind of agree that some of the old line still needs to be shunted off for AoS to really take on its own thing. Would be nice for them to more clearly define what is getting support. For example, I would love to get a Devoted of Sigmar army going, but the idea that they are no longer a worthwhile investment does stay my hand.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

Some good thoughts here, I kind of agree that some of the old line still needs to be shunted off for AoS to really take on its own thing. Would be nice for them to more clearly define what is getting support. For example, I would love to get a Devoted of Sigmar army going, but the idea that they are no longer a worthwhile investment does stay my hand.

I think this is the key, a bit of honesty about what’s gonna happen with the factions before people invest money and time in an army that is then rendered (practically) useless.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

If you count the number of already existing Battletomes that they have added to the game it becomes obvious that there is limited room for growth.  I don't think they can flesh out every allegiance they pulled over from WFB and still have room to do crazy stuff like Idoneth Deepkin.  I think that GW would like to keep doing some of these crazy fun new ranges and so it is inevitable that they will have to decide what to keep and what to let go.

I feel that GW has done a good enough job growing AoS as it's own new thing that they can now effectively deal with some of the baggage they kept around for logistical reasons.  Some more things will probably go the way of Brettonians & Tomb Kings and it is going to suck for some of us long-timers.  But, at least for me they have earned enough goodwill with what they have done so far that I can stomach a few more old forces permanently being retired.

8 minutes ago, Luke82 said:

I think this is the key, a bit of honesty about what’s gonna happen with the factions before people invest money and time in an army that is then rendered (practically) useless.

This is one of the main reasons that I hope they spend a good chunk of this year dealing with these issues.  AoS is partly held back by being in a limbo between WFB and AoS.  That was necessary, and fairly smart, when they launched the game.  It meant they were able to repurpose a lot of their old product, keep some of the older players, give other grumpy old players (like me) a reason to toe back in after the initial angry knee-****** wore off, and launch a game with a good spread of factions.  But now that AoS has found it's footing and developed into an interesting & distinct game/setting these old remnants are as much an anchor holding the game back as they are an asset.  GW would do well to deal with most of them in a way that lets them fully drive forward without worrying too much about what lies behind (aside from looking back for inspiration).

1 hour ago, DakkaDude said:

I don't see it. I might be pretty bias because I adore the more modern Dispossessed line, Warriors and Thunderers are poop, but they have a strong link to the narrative unlike the Gitmob. They built the Freecities, they even built the Storm Bastions. I feel that eventually we will see them get a battletome. Gitmob was dated, and pretty niche, which is completely unlike Dwarves. We have a stake in the story, and are integral to order/ Civilization as a whole despite lacking any REAL lore at the moment.

Would make me so... so sad to see them just boiled down into a Vanilla Free Peoples book. Being forced to mix my force with random Aelves and Humans would break any excitement I have for the faction. I'd much prefer some Free People to be linked to them by just battalions, so you could make fluffy/ semi-competitive lists including all the armies. The more I think about, the more I generally hate the idea of a Free People army just being random aesthetics crammed together to  give models a home.  

I dunno, I feel confident enough to collect the Irondrakes, Ironbreakers, Hammerers and Longbeards in preparation for an eventual release that builds them into something, Ala Daughters. I'm more worried about factions like old High Elves, Old Dark Elves, even Empire to an extent... those factions that have release rumors around them that overshadow the old themes, and things that also have old or out of date sculpts that don't fit the new aesthetic and polish (Like Gitmob). Those are the most vulnerable in my eyes.

Dispossessed are supported in GHB, and we survived both Fyreslayers and Overlords being introduced as shiny new dwarf factions without seeing out line phased away. I have to hope something as iconic as dwarves have a home in AoS... and if not, I'll make GW eat all the models I plan to buy with me xD.

Edit: Some Spelling, and General Agreement that transparency would go a long way for me. If they're going to squat models, tell us now. Let people invest in armies that GW is happy to support, instead of, say, ambushing Dispossessed players who have been patiently waiting for a few years by squating their range to compendium when general consensus was that they're good candidates for an eventual release.

Edited by Shankelton
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Would make me so... so sad to see them just boiled down into a Vanilla Free Peoples book. Being forced to mix my force with random Aelves and Humans would break any excitement I have for the faction. I'd much prefer some Free People to be linked to them by just battalions, so you could make fluffy/ semi-competitive lists including all the armies. The more I think about, the more I generally hate the idea of a Free People army just being random aesthetics crammed together to  give models a home.  

I see it more like say Spiderfang within Gloomspite or the Beasts of Chaos subfactions.  Those are fully playable in their own right with their own artifacts, allegiances, spell lores, etc - but you can also choose to mix them into a larger force and still get rules for being a coherent force in doing so.  That seems the best of both worlds to me.

I personally like the idea of a Free Peoples force, but I would want GW to do it right and update some of the older kits and release new ones to help create a more coherent force than simply a book release like Beasts of Chaos was.  But no matter how we slice it Beasts of Chaos was a very niche WFB faction and always had been.  It had it's very devoted players, as all factions do, but they were not the most plentiful group.  We are all fairly lucky they decided to keep those ranges in the game and consolidate them into a book. 

Dwarfs, Empire, and Elves are not old niche armies.  Those armies comprised a fairly healthy chunk of the game and so I don't think they will want to simply delete them.  I also don't think they would want to simply do a book-only release for them.  But, those groups make up a LOT of small allegiances and I think GW will want to do some consolidation in order to free up room for new ideas but also respect some of these older ones.  If they combined the Dwarf, Human, Elf factions in a release that allowed players to play just a specific allegiance/race or play a combined force and they also updated the models and made a more coherent force for them then to me that feels like a major win for GW.  That would tie up a big chunk of the hanging old-school factions and give AoS more room to breathe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

On the one hand, Night Goblins is my favorite army in any wargame ever (I have collected and played a lot of games over the years) and I am absolutely over the moon with what GW is doing with that army.

I am absolutely over the moon

moon

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I could 100% see a book with a bunch of the human/Dispossessed in it.

Unlike a lot of forces, they actually feature very prominently in the fluff (Especially the Malign Portents stories).

There are certainly humans in the realms, but I think they are trying to figure out a way to release them.

A lot of older factions are destined for the garbage though.

I didn't see the Gitmob models go Last Chance to Buy. If I was a Gitmob collector, I guess I would have bought what I wanted buy by now as experience has taught me this was a possibility. Still, why have a Last Chance to Buy if you don't use it?

Edited by Greyshadow

30 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

I didn't see the Gitmob models go Last Chance to Buy. If I was a Gitmob collector, I guess I would have bought what I wanted buy by now as experience has taught me this was a possibility. Still, why have a Last Chance to Buy if you don't use it?

I would suspect they think fewer people will notice if it's just gone versus announcing it's gone?

3 hours ago, DakkaDude said:

For me, it means I need to get off my ass and buy the models I want for a Duardin warband for skirmish.  While the older Warriors and Rangers kits are not my cup of tea, the Hammerers/Longbeards, Ironbreaker/Drakes, and the Runelord and Cogmaster models are all on my "next to purchase" list.

I'm bummed to see the Goblin Warriors and Wolf Riders removed, as they were always a "one day" idea of mine as I really liked the models and thought they aged the best of the older kits.  I'm really happy to see the Shaman renamed, as it means he will stick around so I can grab one so my Skirmish Orruk boss can have a "pet" shaman.

Edited by Aegisgrimm
  • Like 1

A little disappointing for those who collect them but not a surprise. I have not seen a single mention of gitmob in any AOS fiction, the models do not hold up and unlike spiderfang they do not have a strong thematic identity. 

Dispossessed and freepeoples do have a place in the setting already and are definitely safe at least until gw refreshes the regular human range. 

I could see regular greenskins going for much the same reason as gitmob. Some of the smaller Aelf factions that don’t have a space in the lore yet may end up going when they do new light Aelf and shadow Aelf factions. 

I could see some of the slaves to darkness kits going when the Darkoath comes out.

I am also expecting some big changes to come for the skaven at some point. 

• Like 1

I think it’s time to save the warscroll pdf’s for the green skins , etc for personal use when they go. The last army I converted were  my old orc to green skins. I have a devoted of Sigmar army as well. If it means losing them, so be it as I don’t play tourneys anymore so it largely lands in narrative play anyways and if the existing warscrolls are saved, it keeps them alive. A few months ago, I would have been devasted to even hear the rumours but the way they handled the moonclan etc, I have full confidence in the future army’s - whatever the new factions be. Time to start again with the new system. That will be stormcast for order and moonclan for destruction  and that’s good and plentiful enough work for my forseable future. 

The moonclan sealed the deal completely with me and GW. I look forward to anything they come up with from this point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I see it more like say Spiderfang within Gloomspite or the Beasts of Chaos subfactions.  Those are fully playable in their own right with their own artifacts, allegiances, spell lores, etc - but you can also choose to mix them into a larger force and still get rules for being a coherent force in doing so.  That seems the best of both worlds to me.

I personally like the idea of a Free Peoples force, but I would want GW to do it right and update some of the older kits and release new ones to help create a more coherent force than simply a book release like Beasts of Chaos was.  But no matter how we slice it Beasts of Chaos was a very niche WFB faction and always had been.  It had it's very devoted players, as all factions do, but they were not the most plentiful group.  We are all fairly lucky they decided to keep those ranges in the game and consolidate them into a book. 

Dwarfs, Empire, and Elves are not old niche armies.  Those armies comprised a fairly healthy chunk of the game and so I don't think they will want to simply delete them.  I also don't think they would want to simply do a book-only release for them.  But, those groups make up a LOT of small allegiances and I think GW will want to do some consolidation in order to free up room for new ideas but also respect some of these older ones.  If they combined the Dwarf, Human, Elf factions in a release that allowed players to play just a specific allegiance/race or play a combined force and they also updated the models and made a more coherent force for them then to me that feels like a major win for GW.  That would tie up a big chunk of the hanging old-school factions and give AoS more room to breathe.

My problem with a Free Cities book is that it honestly wouldn't be much different from a Grand Alliance: Order 2.0 book. (Even though LoN is more or less the same thing for Death) It would have to combine ALL the Aelf, Human, and Dispossessed units and also include fluff to support them. I honestly can't see this done well without watering down each faction inside. Other Order armies also inhabit the Free Cities, why do they get battletomes while we are relegated to a soup release? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1