GW announce price rise for paints and Start collecting sets

RexHavoc

Actually sometimes prices rise and you're not making more money, but just the same amount of money. Because you built a new factory which has increased your overheads; because you've increased pay to lower level staff; because taxation systems have changed (this can lead to sudden massive increases in costs for a company). Sometimes its not even a solid single pressing element that causes a price rise. 

The answer can be complicated, however the way that business and money is in general - people dont' talk about it. Consider how many friends and even family openly talk about their personal financial situation. It's darn rare and normally you'll only hear the edges of them being super rich or super poor. People are brought up to be very guarded about money and business practices relating to money and companies behave the very same way. No one wants to risk rocking the boat. 

It's also my observation that many people can't understand company finances well anyway; in fact talking and reading some peoples thoughts on the matter the idea of a company making any profit can almost seem criminal. Profits can also be complicated because many  companies require profits which will be eaten up with new development costs the next year. Plus the profits we most oftne hear about are those that run into high millions and billions where such figures become hard for most people to fathom the volume of money in itself 

That said GW do publish their finances and financial information - it is all (well mostly the summary at least) out there to be read from all their shareholder meetings. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think talking about paint is one of the most divisive subjects within our hobby.  Dropper bottles are good for certain applications, pots are better for others.  I use a mixture of droppers and pots - including a significant number of citadel paints decanted into dropper bottles.  It's very much a case of picking what works best for you and running with it.

Despite being more accurate to dispense paint, dropper bottles can also have a much higher paint wastage - it's difficult to get "just a dot" of paint and if you put too much in an airbrush, good luck pouring it back in.  The nozzle can also frequently contain unmixed paint which you then put onto a palette - blocked nozzle is just as bad as gummed up lid too!

What I would say for those who are struggling to get paint out of the pot, is to shake it like mad and then take the paint from the lid - watch some of the Duncan & Peachy videos to see what I mean.

TL:DR I genuinely don't think that one paint container is better than another - they're just different, with different pro's and con's.

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think the main paint pot complaint at presnet is that the current GW design appears to dry out paints far too fast - the pots clearly have a fault in design of the seals around them. 

For sure. They could defiantly improve the seals (I'd even go as far to say that they could return to the hex pots- taller and more slender so they are easier to store and their seals were light years a head than anything that has come since, but then a lot of people have invested in storage would go mad that the pot size has changed yet again and the lids were still prone to snapping)

I think GW have dug themselves into a massive hole with the current paint line. For the most part, people seem to think the paints are really good but there was a lot of criticism when they got the huge make over to this current range. I've always been surprised that they haven't given it a tidy up, especially since half the paints are now named after things that 'no longer exist' in games (I don't want to start a WFB is just AoS's history fight here- for a new person for the most part, none of these things exist, even some of the 40k names are redundant.) but I don't think they will do so until they have a 'down year'- a year that has no big AoS or 40k release planned and before a big update. They know they can then push a whole new range of paints and accompanying products, as well as removing old paint books and guides. A nice little earner for a year with out a big release.

Then we might see some of the flaws taken care off. I don't think we will see a full range of dropper bottles from GW though- otherwise they will be exactly comparable to other brands on the market then people really will question why they are twice the price, I'm sure there is some psychological reasoning behind the way they present their products.

The current ones aren’t a bad as  the screwtop ones they did 10 years or so ago there was no chance of stopping them drying out. Though the best seals were on the old Hex pot and round ones that preceded them. I bet they were the cheapest as well. I still have near 30 year old paints good to go in those. Hilariously they didn’t put labels on the pots in paint sets back then. Got a few classic from the Space Marine and Ork and Eldar paint sets still. 

The inks did come in dropper bottles way back when 

I did suggest on Twitter we could come up with replacement names for the World that Was named paint, Shadeglass for Nuln Oil for example but I guess in Bloodbowl the Endtimes didn’t happen so all those places still exist. 

I was thinking last night as I as painting that I too also have a 28 year old round paint (the original tentacle pink) from GW that still is good to go.

One trick for everyone - store your paints (not your washes) upside down and put all of that stuff in an air tight plastic container.   Reduces surface area for air exchange to allow drying and also the air trapped in the container reduces a saturation point of solvent vapor if you aren't using them for a long time.  I do that for all manufacturers and it tends to extend the life.

@Thrott as noted generally companies don't justify price changes I bring up other manufacturers as generally they don't  explain price changes either - and prices tend to rise yearly if for inflation related reasons if nothing else.   The price of milk goes up each year as well but my grocery store and local farmer don't tell me why either. 

If you are new to painting - play around. Try silver from a couple of different manufacturers and see what you like and for what application.

I think disproportionately more serious painters seem to feel GW's are better quality paints then the 'cheaper lines' but but some prefer more expensive paints then GW's.  

4 hours ago, Overread said:

Actually sometimes prices rise and you're not making more money, 

Semantics maybe, but the point is, you increase prices to get more money. Maybe you use that to offset a loss elsewhere, maybe it's something else. Bottom line is that you do it to increase the money coming in.

1 hour ago, RexHavoc said:

They could defiantly improve the seals (I'd even go as far to say that they could return to the hex pots-

Heck, go back to the tapered cylinders from the 80's. I still have Ghoul Grey, Titillating Pink, Bilious Green and others from then in the pots, fluid and useful.

7 hours ago, gjnoronh said:

I was thinking last night as I as painting that I too also have a 28 year old round paint (the original tentacle pink) from GW that still is good to go.

One trick for everyone - store your paints (not your washes) upside down and put all of that stuff in an air tight plastic container.   Reduces surface area for air exchange to allow drying and also the air trapped in the container reduces a saturation point of solvent vapor if you aren't using them for a long time.  I do that for all manufacturers and it tends to extend the life.

@Thrott as noted generally companies don't justify price changes I bring up other manufacturers as generally they don't  explain price changes either - and prices tend to rise yearly if for inflation related reasons if nothing else.   The price of milk goes up each year as well but my grocery store and local farmer don't tell me why either. 

If you are new to painting - play around. Try silver from a couple of different manufacturers and see what you like and for what application.

I think disproportionately more serious painters seem to feel GW's are better quality paints then the 'cheaper lines' but but some prefer more expensive paints then GW's.  

Interesting ideas i'll have to try it!

I played 40k about 15 years ago and started up AOS only 12 months ago and don't recall having the issues i'm having with paints drying when only half used when I used to play.

My climate being in Australia is also not conducive to painting. It's now summer so I have to run the fan at full speed to keep alive haha!

On that note I also have a small dropper bottle of distilled water (though you could use Lahmian Medium I suppose for best effects) that I use to drip directly into the bottle when a paint seems to be too thick/going dry in the bottle. Rather then always adding water on the pallet to get the consistency right I try to keep it about where I like it in the bottle - and it reduces dry outs.         Every so often (once a year or so) I do a quick review of all the paints including the ones I use rarely to see who needs a little extra moisture.    

I also use that dropper sometimes to add water to the pallet if I need some.

I use one of these I think from when my kids were babies - probably ten years old and still works fine,  the medicine syringes and medicine cups are also great now.https://www.amazon.com/Enfamil-Supplement-Infants-dropper-bottle/dp/B000S2I75K?th=1

if you've got friends with babies ask - also plastic baby food tubs may great temporary parts organizers if you are working on a conversion project.

13 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I'd love to know if some, and not just a product here and there

Pick a tech company, pick a tech product, pick a tailor, pick any publisher of books/comics/magazines, pick any car repair company, pick any home repair company. lmao Use your ****** brain a little. Go through and read what I actually said. I've already given examples. 

Why is everyone acting like me wanting to know why the price for paints is increased is so ****** crazy. GW specifically came out and announced the price of paints is going up. The first time they have ever done that as a company. They single two things out out of about 10 and said their prices were going up and didn't explain why. That's on top of the price for that product already being the most expensive on the market. 

It's ****** bizarre that everyone is just so happy to give more money because "companies always do that" when that's a lie. It's just not the truth. Video games have stayed the same price for about 25 years now. lol 

I don't want to hash out more of the same conversation with you because it will be pointless. 

8 hours ago, gjnoronh said:

No it doesn't. The price of milk has stayed pretty much the same for me for years now. lol Excuse me, apparently the price of milk has gone down over the past 8 years in the United States, not up. (https://www.nasdaq.com/markets/milk.aspx?timeframe=8y)

Here's a little secret for everyone here who's pretending to know anything at all about business; products don't always have to increase in price every year. They can go down, up, or even stay the same. lol

....and then those phones get dissected and its actually ******. 

Either way your particular obsession with trying to understand business decisions beyond your ken is dragging us away from the core message.

Stuffs getting expensive, most likely because the UKs buisness, shipping and trading sectors are getting dynamited due to politics.

26 minutes ago, Jetengine said:

Either way your particular obsession with trying to understand business decisions beyond your ken is dragging us away from the core message.

Obsession. Yeah, right. And what is the core message, exactly? And ****** off with the "beyond my ken." I have an MBA and a JD. What the ****** do you have? 

Stuffs getting expensive,

Stuff's just going to get expensive just because and there is no reason we should want to know why or ask why, If McDonald's shrunk the size of their hamburger and increased it's price that's just normal every company does that it's just to make more money. lol

most likely because the UKs buisness, shipping and trading sectors are getting dynamited due to politics.

Why are you obsessed with trying to figure out why the prices increased? They just do! Every company always increases their prices every year!

no reason to start attacking or getting hostile about it.

Thank you. I've only reciprocated in kind.

I fail to even see why it should annoy anyone or why its an issue. 

Right? I have no clue. People on here are really odd. You think everyone would want more information not attack the person asking for it. lol We're all consumers. It can only be to our benefit. Everyone pretending like they know anything about business is really fascinating. They're all just repeating the same meaningless platitudes. It's weird.  There was nothing at all inflammatory or outrageous about my original comment. 

Some people conflate their self-worth and identity with their interests and/or hobbies. So when people critique or question something they like they take it as a personal attack against themselves and react as such. Maybe that's what's going on here a little bit? The great and all-powerful GW can do no wrong fanboys on here blindly defend every decision they make.

I think this topic is going round in circles now, no one knows for sure why GW do what they do, but the price is going up and nothing will change that, not even them being more transparent and telling us exactly why.

Probably time to call it a day on discussing the price rise.
(not long till Gloomspite, lets focus on the exciting stuff!)

6 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

I think this topic is going round in circles now, no one knows for sure why GW do what they do, but the price is going up and nothing will change that, not even them being more transparent and telling us exactly why.

Probably time to call it a day on discussing the price rise.
(not long till Gloomspite, lets focus on the exciting stuff!)

I 100% agree with this

+++ Mod Hat On +++

I’m locking this thread.

@Throt the Unclean and @Jetengine - Really not happy with you tone and how you have acted to each other. Please don’t be like this in the future

Archived