GW announce price rise for paints and Start collecting sets

RexHavoc

These price increases don't worry me personally.  I love the paints and $0.20  or whatever is a minor issue.  I'd have to be buying hundreds of pots a year for it to matter.  Zero issue with that.

(OT but I do agree that it would be nice to move to drop bottles).

As for the SC boxes I don't have any plans to buy one in the near future.  So it's not affecting me in the wallet.  However my concern with it is from the point of view of someone who brings new players into the hobby (which I do).  We get inured to the pricing, but when normies look at it, it often terrifies them.  Now overall I think it is well worth it for the many reasons laid out above - but it does put some people off, that's a fact.

The SCs are a great pathway into the hobby and I would hate to see them priced at a point where that is lost.

So I think it's a bad move and a bad idea.  Raise prices on other items if you need to, but not the SC.

Not for personal financial reasons, but because of the impact I believe it will have on scaring off new players.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

the price change is effective feburary 4th right? so Deepkin Start Collecting will be released before then. next weeks pre orders maybe?

If it does go on sale next week it will be at the increased price because I can't see GW releasing something only to put out a price rise immediately afterwards.

I would be okay with the price increase for Citadel paints (that are already over-priced) if it was accompanied by a change in the paint pot design. So that you could do more with them. I would prefer they were changed in ways that made it easier to pour the paint and/or accommodated accessories that could turn the pots into drip bottles. Although, turning the pots into drip bottles would most likely mean making them out of a plastic that was easier to squeeze. 

My local comic store, where I buy most of my GW stuff, recently added two huge paint displays to compete with Citadel paints. One is Vallejo and I forgot the other, it was like some historical wargaming company. From what I saw with Vallejo you got more paint per bottle, it was in a dripper bottle, and it was cheaper. The only reason I haven't made the switch is because I follow a lot of GW painting guides because I suck at painting and don't know that I could get the same color paints. 

This price increase and the cancelling of digital WD are two missteps by GW this year to me. I don't see how GW can justify them.

Never really saw the attraction of dropper bottles, I find it means I don’t have as much control over the amount of paint I use.  I also expect they’re completely useless for dry and texture paints and I’m not that sure they’d work very well with base paint either.  Having two different type of paint pot would increase production cost and I think we all know who would pick that up. 

20p is neither here nor there to me. 

£5 on Battalions a bit more but they still represent excellent value for me. 

36 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Never really saw the attraction of dropper bottles, I find it means I don’t have as much control over the amount of paint I use.  I also expect they’re completely useless for dry and texture paints and I’m not that sure they’d work very well with base paint either.  Having two different type of paint pot would increase production cost and I think we all know who would pick that up. 

20p is neither here nor there to me. 

£5 on Battalions a bit more but they still represent excellent value for me. 

The attraction of dropper bottles is precisely because it allows you to have more control over the amount of paint you use. It's also easier to drip paint into airbrushes and anywhere else. The Citadel paint pots are the complete opposite, they're just an open can with no lip so it's difficult to control the amount you can pour out when you need to and you inevitably waste paint because it runs down the side of the pot every time. If you can drip the paint out then you don't have to blindly dip your brush into the pot and get it all gunked up. I find the ledge on the inside bottom of Citadel paint pots isn't a sufficient alternative because the lids never stay up right and the less paint in the pot the more difficult it is to get it up there in the first place. 

I agree dropper bottles wouldn't work for all types of paint, but I think they would work fine for base and layer paints.

You're right that would probably mean having different types of bottles, which would increase costs. But we are getting increased costs anyways, why not have the cost related to something tangible and beneficial?  Maybe different paints should have different types of containers that better suit their use?

20p is significant to me and it adds up when you buy lots of paint.

I'm a huge GW fan, but as competition increases I think they will be forced to make changes. As I said, you can get more of essentially the same quality paint in a dropper for less money. For everyone besides advanced painters or paint enthusiasts there seems to be little reason to stick with Citadel base and layer paints at this point as long as you can get comparable colors. 

Citadel's dry, air, technical, and washes are still the best on the market imo though. 

2 minutes ago, Throt the Unclean said:

For everyone besides advanced painters or paint enthusiasts there seems to be little reason to stick with Citadel paints at this point. 

I'd have thought the opposite surely? As you yourself say...

53 minutes ago, Throt the Unclean said:

The only reason I haven't made the switch is because I follow a lot of GW painting guides because I suck at painting and don't know that I could get the same color paints.

If you're just starting out then you probably don't know all the different brands out there, just want to be able to look at what it recommends on your model's box (and, of course, can be easily bought at the same time) and most importantly there's a very good chance you're following all the 'how to paint' tutorials and want to make it as easy for yourself as possible.

15 minutes ago, Throt the Unclean said:

The attraction of dropper bottles is precisely because it allows you to have more control over the amount of paint you use. It's also easier to drip paint into airbrushes and anywhere else. The Citadel paint pots are the complete opposite, they're just an open can with no lip so it's difficult to control the amount you can pour out when you need to and you inevitably waste paint because it runs down the side of the pot every time. If you can drip the paint out then you don't have to blindly dip your brush into the pot and get it all gunked up. I find the ledge on the inside bottom of Citadel paint pots isn't a sufficient alternative because the lids never stay up right and the less paint in the pot the more difficult it is to get it up there in the first place. 

I agree dropper bottles wouldn't work for all types of paint, but I think they would work fine for base and layer paints.

You're right that would probably mean having different types of bottles, which would increase costs. But we are getting increased costs anyways, why not have the cost related to something tangible and beneficial? 

20p is significant to me and it adds up when you buy lots of paint.

I'm a huge GW fan, but as competition increases I think they will be forced to make changes. As I said, you can get more of essentially the same quality paint in a dropper for less money. For everyone besides advanced painters or paint enthusiasts there seems to be little reason to stick with Citadel base and layer paints at this point as long as you can get comparable colors. 

Citadel's dry, air, technical, and washes are still the best on the market imo though. 

Well I’ve never had to “blindly” dip my paint brush in to a citadel paint pot, I can see into them. Gives me exactly what I need rather than havening to use a predetermined number of drops. I always seem to have a lot of paint left when using Valejeo stuff. I don’t use an Airbrush so pouring paint is not an issue for me but I can see how that would be and issue for those that did. 

I can’t comment on what amount of money you find significant or not only what is to me. 

26 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I'd have thought the opposite surely? As you yourself say...

If you're just starting out then you probably don't know all the different brands out there, just want to be able to look at what it recommends on your model's box (and, of course, can be easily bought at the same time) and most importantly there's a very good chance you're following all the 'how to paint' tutorials and want to make it as easy for yourself as possible.

Little reason, one of the little reasons being it's easier to get their paints and follow their paint guides because you know what the colors are. It's little because there are probably guides online comparing the various competitor's paints to Citadel's. It's also little because it is dwarfed by the many other benefits of using competitor's paints, you get more for less and a dropper bottle. 

I would say no, for an amateur painter they might be more inclined to get cheaper paints that are easier to use. Especially if they don't care about following GW color schemes for their models. I mean, a big allure of this hobby is creativity. I would say the vast majority of people don't follow color guides and paint things the color they want them. I'm pretty much the only person I know in the hobby that likes to get each model and terrain piece to look like they do on the box. 

27 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Well I’ve never had to “blindly” dip my paint brush in to a citadel paint pot, I can see into them. Gives me exactly what I need rather than havening to use a predetermined number of drops.

I do, all the time. Especially when I try to scoop some out onto a wet palette. Then it's especially imprecise as to how much spills out. Plus, I have to use my brush to scoop it if I don't want to pour, which hurts the brushes. As I said, GW put that ledge inside the lids to try to help with that, but it never works as intended for me.  They never stay up and can be difficult to get paint on. Plus, I don't want to leave the lids open and let the paint dry out.

29 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I always seem to have a lot of paint left when using Valejeo stuff.

I would say you're dropping too much then. XD There is a reason laboratories use droppers. It's because you can get a controlled and expected amount of material repeatedly. 

29 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I don’t use an Airbrush so pouring paint is not an issue for me but I can see how that would be and issue for those that did. 

Yeah, I recently started airbrushing and the Citadel pots are really not helpful at all in getting precise amounts of paint into the airbrush holders. But even when I'm putting paint onto my wet palette it can be difficult.

32 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I can’t comment on what amount of money you find significant or not only what is to me. 

Yeah, I just don't understand the justification for the price increase when competitors are selling seemingly more of the same quality paint for less. Then they increase the price on top of that? Why? More information would be nice. Is Citadel superior in some way? Is it made with nicer material? Does it keep its color better? Does it have a longer shelf-life? Does it flake less or not at all? Does it stick easier to the models? Why should we pay more for less?

Everyone has different paints they like Throt but as a guy who has won multiple best painted army awards I like my GW paints.   I've experimented with Privateer/Vallejo as well and generally haven't been as happy with their colors as the  equivalent GW paints.    On the other hand I haven't experimented with something like scale 75 paints  which are reportedly fairly expensive https://scale75.com/en/66-fantasy-games-range

But really it depends on what your value for your money and your paint style and expectations  are.     I have seen gamers use simple craft store paints that come in 100-300 ML bottles - results aren't worth it to me but it's super cheap.    However on the same note  I have used some home made inks and washes using simple craft store supplies to make an inexpensive large scale wash for entire armies or terrain.    

Really though EVERY company has price increases  all the time - nothing in miniature gaming costs  the same as it did 10 years ago.  GW just made a public announcement of their price increase.   GW's price increases get the attention as well because they are the biggest player in the industry but nobody is charging what they did 5-10 years ago for their paints or miniatures.  

5 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

I've experimented with Privateer/Vallejo as well and generally haven't been as happy with their colors as the  equivalent GW paints.

You mean in terms of color matching to GW colors?

6 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

results aren't worth it to me but it's super cheap.

Why? What are the differences in the paint?

6 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

Really though EVERY company has price increases  all the time

That's not necessarily true though. I understand prices of products can change (up or down) for many reasons; inflation, availability of materials needed, change in materials, change in design, changes in production, changes at the company, etc. Is that what GW is claiming this is? 

Or is this just a price increase for the hell of it? If I remember correctly GW made more money this past year than they ever have. So it's not because they desperately need to increase profits.

Even if it was just because they want to make more money I wouldn't fault them, necessarily. I don't fault anyone for wanting to make more money. But I'm also a consumer and I would prefer price increases have some reason or justification other than that and I'm not sure this does.

Whether or not they formally announced the price increase is irrelevant, people were going to find out about it one way or another. That's not being open or honest. I certainly won't praise them for it like others have. What would have been open and honest and possibly praiseworthy is if they explained why. 

1 hour ago, Throt the Unclean said:

I do, all the time. Especially when I try to scoop some out onto a wet palette. Then it's especially imprecise as to how much spills out. Plus, I have to use my brush to scoop it if I don't want to pour, which hurts the brushes. As I said, GW put that ledge inside the lids to try to help with that, but it never works as intended for me.  They never stay up and can be difficult to get paint on. Plus, I don't want to leave the lids open and let the paint dry out.

I would say you're dropping too much then. XD There is a reason laboratories use droppers. It's because you can get a controlled and expected amount of material repeatedly. 

Yeah, I recently started airbrushing and the Citadel pots are really not helpful at all in getting precise amounts of paint into the airbrush holders. But even when I'm putting paint onto my wet palette it can be difficult.

Yeah, I just don't understand the justification for the price increase when competitors are selling seemingly more of the same quality paint for less. Then they increase the price on top of that? Why? More information would be nice. Is Citadel superior in some way? Is it made with nicer material? Does it keep its color better? Does it have a longer shelf-life? Does it flake less or not at all? Does it stick easier to the models? Why should we pay more for less?

Yes I am dropping too much paint because that’s what the bottle forces me to do and they certainly ain’t laboratory pipettes. 

I believe you when you say you prefer dropper bottles, I don’t. 

I don’t know why there’s a price increase. I don’t work for GW.  I just don’t really mind and I prefer the GW paints I find them more uniform in colour and performance. 

3 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Yes I am dropping too much paint because that’s what the bottle forces me to do

Try a lighter grip? ;) lol I don't think there is a flaw in the dropper bottle as a concept. Maybe in Vallejo's execution. As you said, the dropper can be very precise with pipettes. Maybe GW can take inspiration from that and make their own dropper bottles?

3 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I don’t know why there’s a price increase. I don’t work for GW.  I just don’t really mind

I get that. I just prefer to know where my money is going. 

14 minutes ago, Throt the Unclean said:

I get that. I just prefer to know where my money is going. 

I think that's not how businesses work?

When the price of a McChicken sandwich goes up from $5.49 to $5.99, nobody ever tells us why.  If you yell at a cashier about it, or email McDonald's head office demanding an explanation, you're being unreasonable. You buy the sandwich, or you don't.

And that's all there is to the transaction.  If the product or service is not worth buying at the new price, you don't buy it.  If it is, you do.  The reason for the price increase means nothing.  "We require more money for this product" is the reason.  Maybe material cost went up.  Maybe the profitability in some other sector is down, and it is hoped that more profit from this sector will make up for it.  Maybe shipping or currency conversion has increased.  Maybe someone in the office thinks that people will just be willing to pay more, and it's all just added to the bottom line.  Why would we expect to learn the particulars of any of these?  In any industry, for any product or service?

1 hour ago, Throt the Unclean said:

You mean in terms of color matching to GW colors?

Why? What are the differences in the paint?

That's not necessarily true though. I understand prices of products can change (up or down) for many reasons; inflation, availability of materials needed, change in materials, change in design, changes in production, changes at the company, etc. Is that what GW is claiming this is? 

Or is this just a price increase for the hell of it? If I remember correctly GW made more money this past year than they ever have. So it's not because they desperately need to increase profits.

Even if it was just because they want to make more money I wouldn't fault them, necessarily. I don't fault anyone for wanting to make more money. But I'm also a consumer and I would prefer price increases have some reason or justification other than that and I'm not sure this does.

Whether or not they formally announced the price increase is irrelevant, people were going to find out about it one way or another. That's not being open or honest. I certainly won't praise them for it like others have. What would have been open and honest and possibly praiseworthy is if they explained why. 

Excuse my laziness in not breaking my responses out into multiple sub responses

-I mean in terms of quality of paint saturation per application at a given dilution, appearance (chalkiness, brightness, pigment fragment size for metallics).

Some paints look better then others when used to paint.  Even amongst a single manufacturer like Vallejo they have multiple lines of paint at different price points with higher quality pigment and dilutants to get better results.       You also have some variance in how well paints are designed to avoid chipping - paints designed for game pieces tend to avoid rubbing off/chipping better then those designed for display.   You also have differences in how well those paints stay in solution or remix when shake and how easily they dry out.           I've not personally been happy with most of the paints I've used from the other manufacturers I've experimented with even when "I really wanted to like them" (as I wasn't happy with the equivalent GW product and wanted to find something better for the application I was using it for.)   I certainly haven't tried every paint in the world from every manufacturer - but generally less happy and in a 28 year painting career I've used at least 50-100 different bottles of paints from non GW manufacturers.       I'm not saying GW is the highest quality paint in the world but it's miles above the worst I've seen or used and we know that higher quality paints tend to be more expensive then the cheaper ones.   See below for really cheap craft paint discussion.   

You asked about craft paints vs GW miniature paints  are you familiar with them?  here's an example of 600 ML of paint for $10 US

https://www.michaels.com/acrylic-paint-value-pack-by-craft-smart/10437751.html#start=1

Miniature paints are designed to have a level of translucence that works for our medium. and better resistance to chipping  and  most manufacturers use  much higher quality pigments then in the craft world.   Even in the craft paint world there are the crappy paints designed for kids to work with and the higher quality ones for adults all of which are cheaper then the ones designed for artists.   here's another pack of 10 craft paints at roughly twice the price.   https://www.michaels.com/americana-premium-acrylic-paint-value-pack/10429355.html#start=11  Between the high end and the low end there is differences in quality and from one manufacturer to another.    Just for an example here's a review of several different types of craft paints https://www.craftcritique.com/2009/11/04/acrylic-paint-comparisons/

-see above for differences in paint.  

-Miniature prices and miniature paint prices have consistently gone up over the last 28 years.  I don't know of a  major manufacturer (Privateer, Reaper, Battlefront) whose product line has had an overall  decrease in price in any given year and certainly not in  over  the course of multiple years.   That excludes releasing a new line specifically made out of cheaper materials like the Bones products from reaper.   We could try and figure out why that is - I don't know .  But just pick the manufacturer and try and google up their old price sheets from say 5 years ago vs now.  They all go up over time.  

-It's probably not to increase profits but it could be that paints aren't breaking even on that product line itself.   

28 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

I think that's not how businesses work?

I think it's up to the business and industry. There are plenty of businesses that try explain to customers where the costs goes. 

The reason for the price increase means nothing. 

...to you.

If you yell at a cashier about it, or email McDonald's head office demanding an explanation, you're being unreasonable.

Yeah your example is really falling flat because it's a false equivalency in general. But besides that I'm not bugging cashiers at GW stores about the price of their paints unsolicited. Although, I guarantee you my local GW store employee would happily answer the question to the best of his ability and even try to figure out the reason for himself if he didn't know.

What happened here is GW took it upon themselves to make some special announcement about increasing the price of their paints. Something they rarely do, judging by the reaction of people in this thread. 

"We require more money for this product" is the reason.  Maybe material cost went up.  Maybe the profitability in some other sector is down, and it is hoped that more profit from this sector will make up for it.  Maybe shipping or currency conversion has increased.  Maybe someone in the office thinks that people will just be willing to pay more, and it's all just added to the bottom line. 

Great brainstorm! I wonder how difficult it would be to hear this from GW?

Why would we expect to learn the particulars of any of these?  In any industry, for any product or service?

I never expected it from GW, that's kind of the whole point of my original comment... That's why I said it would be nice if they gave us a reason with the announcement that they are increasing the prices. But typically, when companies announce prices increases for their products it is accompanied by an explanation. lol When apple announces the new iPhones will cost $500 dollars more than the last one they have multi-hour long presentations explaining why. I'm not sure how much interaction you have with businesses but I would say a significant number of businesses explain the prices of their products and if they don't they might if you ask. At the very least they could have the information provided.

And companies that don't, like McDonald's don't because their prices are dictated by the dozens of other fast food burger joints that sell a burger and fries at the same price. We don't need to know the exact information we just need to know what Burger King is selling their burger for, which is why I brought up the differences between Vallejo and Citadel. It would seem that Citadel, not Vallejo, is the outlier in the hobby paint market. If you're going to be an outlier it would be nice to justify. If McDonald's suddenly started charging 4 dollars more for their cheeseburger than BurgerKing you can bet people would want to know why and McDonald's would be ready with an explanation. 

But that's always been one of GW's problems. They aren't transparent. They seemed to have started to become more transparent, but announcing a price increase is not transparency. Ending digital WD with no explanation is not transparent. There is nothing wrong with wishing they would be more open, especially in an expensive hobby like this one. 

Throt this really seems to have riled you up. Again prices go up all the time for everyone's line.  No one is charging the same as they were ten years ago.  They certainly arent' charging less.   Did they justify each of those price increases to the public?   

Vallejo isn't as cheap as the craft paint I shared links to.  It's not as cheap as the paints that come with in the box with some cheap model kits.   Why isn't the onus on Vallejo to justifying their additional costs to their customers?

Use the paint you like at the price point that makes sense to you.  If a cheaper paint gets you the results you want use it.  I think we all agree with that.   If someone's price seems to much don't use it.    None of them are really required to justify their price point beyond what's the quality value equation to the individual customer.   

12 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

Excuse my laziness in not breaking my responses out into multiple sub responses

haha No worries. There's nothing to excuse. Your response is great. 

13 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

-see above for differences in paint.  

It's good to know that in general, GW paints seem to be higher quality. I wonder if those differences would be obvious to a novice painter like myself? I'm not familiar with craft paints. I pretty much just watch youtube videos and will hear about other paints if the person making the video happens to use them.  I've never had much reason to look for comparison articles between paints until now. 

19 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

Miniature prices and miniature paint prices have consistently gone up over the last 28 years. 

I get that, but they just don't go up because there is always a reason. Do you not understand that? lol I'm just wanting to know what those reasons are. 

21 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

It's probably not to increase profits but it could be that paints aren't breaking even on that product line itself.   

Yeah, I could see that. There are number of obvious reasons people would go to a competitor's paints. Still, it'd be great if we could hear it from GW. 

14 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

Throt this really seems to have riled you up.

Not really? I'm not sure where you would get that. I'm responding to people who respond to my comments. That's what you do on a forum. lol I was going to say it seems that people are annoyed that someone dare want an explanation for an unjustified price increase for a seemingly over-priced and relatively expensive product.

17 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

Again prices go up all the time for everyone's line.  No one is charging the same as they were ten years ago.

I don't know why you keep repeating this. I never said anything to the contrary. I'm not arguing otherwise. 

19 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

They certainly arent' charging less

No, but plenty of competitors are charging less than GW and giving you more. Like I said to another dude, if McDonald's came out and announced with no explanation that their cheeseburgers are going to cost $4 more than they already do people would want to know why. 

20 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

Did they justify each of those price increases to the public?   

Possibly? I'm not sure. I would have to look. We certainly know that GW never has, which as I've stated is a problem with the company. One they've admitted they are trying to work on. So, I don't understand what's wrong with saying they should explain it now. What is so wrong with customers wanting more information? lol Everyone keeps acting as if it's ridiculous for someone to want to know how a company formulates the cost for a product. It's bizarre to me how few people in this thread seem to care. 

23 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

Use the paint you like at the price point that makes sense to you.  If a cheaper paint gets you the results you want use it! 

Exactly, but to find out which price points make sense people need information. Which is why I asked you about paints and was saying GW should give more information. I don't think it's unreasonable for a novice to have no clue about the differences between the paints or weird for them to want to know why GW's costs so much more than competitors. 

12 minutes ago, gjnoronh said:

2 minutes ago, Throt the Unclean said:

No, but plenty of competitors are charging less than GW and giving you more. Like I said to another dude, if McDonald's came out and announced with no explanation that their cheeseburgers are going to cost $4 more than they already do people would want to know why. 

We know exactly why GW charge more for paint and give you less. To subsidise the cost of all the other things they do that cost money that they offer, which we don't directly pay for. Painting videos, shops rent, warhammer world upkeep, con appearances, sending out freebies to reviewers etc.

Vallejo offers slightly cheaper paint with slighter more in a bottle because they make paint and send it to stores that stock it. They do put out the odd leaflet and I have seen a few instructional videos but they are few and far between.

I personally like both citadel and vallejo ranges and use a huge mix of both for painting. But people are flat out lying when they say dropper bottles are Superior to citadel. Yes, droppers are great if you airbrush. But I have had as many problems with their bottles as I have with citadel ones. Paint dries around dropper, they get clogged, they leak if you shake them incorrectly (they air forces paint out the top if you shake them, you are meant to roll them to mix the paint to stop the air getting pushed the bottom- only this takes ages to do) and their lids constantly crack around the top (I have started reusing old bottles for new paint now, as a way of getting clean spares for when they break) and yes, far too much comes out in one drop for half the jobs I need to do, especially when mixing colours.

I find it more baffling that GW charges different amounts for various paints, and often ones that it doesn't make sense on. But raising the price by £0.20 is clearly covering for other things as well. I find it funny that everyone is also focusing on the two things that have been announced to be raising in price but haven't seen to notice the stealth increase in other items- for instance all the battletome release dice have been €20 yet the new gloomspite ones are €22.50. There will be other things too- I bet carrion Empire will push the €130 mark, even though all the other similar sets have been something like €120/125 each.

3 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

We know exactly why GW charge more for paint and give you less. To subsidise the cost of all the other things they do that cost money that they offer, which we don't directly pay for. Painting videos, shops rent, warhammer world upkeep, con appearances, sending out freebies to reviewers etc.

That might be a good guess. I don't know that that's is true, but it could be. 

4 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

But people are flat out lying when they say dropper bottles are Superior to citadel.

I've never used Vallejo droppers, but I think I would prefer droppers in general even if there is a problem with Vallejo's execution. I'm sure GW could really perfect it.

6 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

I find it more baffling that GW charges different amounts for various paints, and often ones that it doesn't make sense on.

A lot of what GW does is. That's the problem. lol I think people are focusing on the two they announced because they announced them, which makes it even more odd they didn't explain why. If they are willing to increase prices on so many other products and not announce it why did they feel the need to make the announcement about the paint?

The less the consumer knows the more easily they are taken advantage of.

Another thing people oft forget is that GW is one of the few companies that puts alternative parts in kits and even optional parts. Many gamers have a bits box full of GW brand items - yet I've hardly got anything that is the same from other companies (and often as not if there are any bits its because they are from an unassembled model either never put together or purchased specifically for a conversion and the wanted part already harvested out earlier). 

Im not worried about plus 5 or 10 quid for a start collecting set, theyre still superb value, and its not like my monthly hobby budget will change until i get a pay rise, when it too will rise and cancel out the price increase anyway. Compared to the bad old days of annual line wide price rises i am far more satisfied with this approach 😊

11 hours ago, Throt the Unclean said:

businesses that try explain to customers where the costs goes...

I'd love to know if some, and not just a product here and there, with lip service answers designed to placate customers. I mean businesses with established patterns of routinely explaining the details of why the raise prices whenever the do.

I can't think of a single one.

The reason you increase a price is to make more money. Period. It can be spun in numerous way, but really a price increase is self-explanatory.

Archived