New Years Hobby Challenge

rabidpenguin

So a buddy of mine and I decided to do a challenge that would be throughout the year.

That challenge is simply thus....build and paint the equivalent of a 40k Space Marine company but for Stormcasts  or other AoS faction

So i need some help on determining what units I will be needing to plan for and map out a timetable

As can be guessed...I am going with Stormcast Eternals and in particular the Celestial Vindicators

Any and all help given to help me get the numbers and units listed would be awesome and much appreciated

So I did a bit of googling to find out what Space Marine Company is and from what I can find its 10 units of 10 tactical marines along with a command group (5 leader models), a captain and a chaplain.

So that would likely translate into 5 full units of 20 battle-line models along with at least one or two leader heroes (at least one warrior and one mage) and a Castellant. 

Now considering that Stormcast warriors are quite expensive in points I would make each unit of 20 a different kind of battleline warrior. That way you end up with a collection that has more interesting features and is actually viable on the tabletop in a lot of games (because you'll have choices to pick what you want). Whilst it won't have that same impact of 100 warriors all the same, it is more practical in terms of the game and your own collection - unless you are dead set on making a perfect copy-cat. 

14 hours ago, rabidpenguin said:

So a buddy of mine and I decided to do a challenge that would be throughout the year.

That challenge is simply thus....build and paint the equivalent of a 40k Space Marine company but for Stormcasts  or other AoS faction

So i need some help on determining what units I will be needing to plan for and map out a timetable

As can be guessed...I am going with Stormcast Eternals and in particular the Celestial Vindicators

Any and all help given to help me get the numbers and units listed would be awesome and much appreciated

This is something that I've wanted to do for a good while now, but it's a big investment in time, which I'm a bit short on.

Anyway, to actually give some advice: The most thematic choice would be to build one of the Chamber battalions (those being Warrior, Harbinger, exemplar, vanguard, extremis, and sacrosanct). Each one is (lore-wise) a self contained fighting force.

I do not have the newest Stormcast book, so I can't tell you the exact numbers, I would be more than happy to talk about the various chambers, their roles, and what kind of units they have.

Ok so i thumbed thru a buddies Space Marine Codex for 8th

From what I can gather, this is how standard SM companies are formed:

Captain, standard bearer, Medic, 2 Lieutenants, chaplain, followed up with 4 veterans

4 Tactical squads (10 man groups)

3 Intercessor squads (5 man teams)

2 Assault Squads (10 man teams)

2 Intercessor Squads (5 man teams)

1 Devastator Squad (10 man team)

1 Hellblaster Squad (5 man team)

1 Interceptor Squad (3 man team)

and finally 2 Dreadnoughts

So there is 113 infantry units, with 2 heavy supports

If I were to choose a Warrior Chamber, I would need the following:

(based upon the Battletome that was printed before the current one)

1 Lord Celestant

1 Lord Relictor

1-4 Lords

5-15 Knights

3 Prosecutor Retinues (3+ man teams)

6 Paladin Retinues (unable to find unit size for these guys.....)

9 Liberator Retinues (5+ man teams)

6 Judicator Retinues (5+ man teams)

If I were to do them all at base minimum teams with there being: 1 Lord Celestant, 1 Relictor, 3 Lords and 5 Knights (not including the Paladins cause i cant find them for some reason), I would have 94 Infantry Units. Which basing that off the SM Codex, im 19 infantry short and 2 Heavy Support options still to fill.

If my math there could be checked by you guys and if my logic is sound that would be great.

This is gonna be a monsterous project lol

That's a new Primearis company you're talking about, the old ones were plain 6 Tactical squads, 2 Assault and 2 Devastator (heavy) squads, all usually 10 strong, along with a Captain, a Chaplain, a Command Squad of typically 4 veterans and some Dreadnoughts (1-3-ish). Then there's a motor pool, the armory, containing any number of transports, tanks and support vehicles. There's no exact numbers for standard outfit, they depend on fighting doctrine and the mission.

As @Realmhead stated, the closest aequivalent would likely be a warrior chamber, which contains 1 Lord Celestant, 1 Lord Relictor 1 Castellant/ Veritant, 3+ Knights, as well as 9 units of Liberators, 6 Judicators, 6 Paladins and 3 Prosecutors.

If you wanna fit the Space Marine bill, i'd go with Celestant for the Captain, Relictor for the Chaplain, 6 units of Liberators as Tacticals, 2 Prosecutors as Assaults, 2 Judicators as Devastators and a unit of Paladins for the Veterans, maybe one or two more as there's no equivalent for Dreadnoughts etc.

I don't know a lot about the new Primaris stuff as i play old school marines only, so far.

The mimimum size for Paladin retinues is 5 iirc.

Hope that helps some, seems like a challenging but awesome project to me!

Archived