Gobbapalooza-Possible new format for other box sets?

kenshin620

So if I'm interpreting the preview right, the Gobbapalooza is a box set of separate Heroes? (I do see a separate warscroll for one of them after all)

This thing

Spoiler

CitadelPreOrders-12Jan-Goobapalooza-4mt.

Do you think this could be a possible format for other factions to provide a variety of heroes? We have somewhat seen this in the past with the Khorne Bloodbound minigame which gave you 4 Khrone heroes at a discount, or the combined Warhammer Quest Hero boxes, but I think this is the first time a AoS focused box of multiple heroes have been made.

On the downside, if you only want one hero you're kind of out of luck and would either have to buy one 2nd hand or just deal with buying the whole box, but on the other hand technically you would "save" money since I would think this box would be far cheaper to buy than if all the models were in separate blister packs.

Would other factions get similar sets both new and old? I imagine especially for factions with a large number of plastic heroes like SCE or many chaos factions. Not to dredge up the topic of GW and prices, but heroes are quite expensive on their own (IIRC the Khrone Minigame was almost buy 2 heroes, get 2 free along with a free game). Having box sets of multiple heroes could help introduce people to heroes they normally wouldn't buy on their own and also make thematic "Command Squads" (like a Lord Celestant+Knight Heraldor+Knight Vexillor)

1 minute ago, Lucio said:

Works for Grots because they're small, individually weak characters. You put 5 Stormcast together and you've got a problem

Well it doesn't have to be 5 SCE, it could be 3-4. Plus many blisterpack plastic sets are pretty small since they have very few extra parts, if any.

Whilst I can't see any particular reason not to sell packs of (infantry) heroes like this I just guessed it made more sense to bundle  someone like these lads together as they're pretty small models.

At the same time I wouldn't expect GW to sell them (as hero models) individually for less than £15 which would feel a bit rich, so better to stick them together and charge something £35 for the lot (or something, all prices pulled out of my ******) and everyone feels better≥ Perhaps.

Could imagine similar with Skaven.

I have to also say as long as they don't cost STUPID money then my god I can't wait to buy these models.

I don't think I'll ever be able to buy, in 28mm scale plastic, a better representation of me getting the nightbus home from a rave in the early 90s than the lad in the middle, it's uncanny.

15 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Could imagine similar with Skaven.

Oh yea that sounds pretty plausible, either completely brand new heroes or existing heroes. Could even just be a whole bunch of skryre heroes with crazy gear! Or maybe more hybrid type heroes, like how stormfiends were a hybrid of moulder and skryre.

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

So if I'm interpreting the preview right, the Gobbapalooza is a box set of separate Heroes? (I do see a separate warscroll for one of them after all)

This thing

Reveal hidden contents

CitadelPreOrders-12Jan-Goobapalooza-4mt.

Clarification: they are not heroes. They can be played individually apparently, but the warscroll card at least does not have the keyword "hero". You can see one on the preorder article. 

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

Clarification: they are not heroes. They can be played individually apparently, but the warscroll card at least does not have the keyword "hero". You can see one on the preorder article. 

Ah ok, but they're still one man units though? Kind of like many 40k elite choices. That might make things interesting to have one man support units that don't eat up your Leader slots (but also might get sniped without look out sir)

3 minutes ago, Nos said:

I think they might be a sort of Shaman coven though, bit like Evocators? So still a unit. That's just an uninformed guess mind.

Well they seem to have individual warscrolls though. And plus Evocators are still Evocators each (plus unit leader). Meanwhile this Gobbapalooza have 5 different names attached.

1 hour ago, Sadysaneto said:

underworlds already does it

To be fair most Shadespire warbands are usually 1 unit, or 1 hero and 1 unit with a few exceptions like the grot or tzeentch warband (which are still treated as 1 hero 1 unit in AoS but with very different models inside the unit).

And the warbands are designed for Shadespire 1st then AoS 2nd, which is shown by the somewhat dubious uses for many warbands outside of a cheap point filler (while some  are actually very expensive point fillers).

As I mentioned in the first post, this appears to be the first AoS-game box set that introduces multiple separate model units and I'm curious if more will be to come.

Archived