A Bad Rule for the Bad Moon

Sleboda

From the Community site:

"Enemy Units anywhere on the board are bombarded with meteors from the Bad Moon, and take damage."

Oof. Granted, we don't know all the details yet, but man, we've seen this design in the past and it's always been unfun.

At least in most pervious incarnations, your characters could join units to avoid direct damage, but not now. This is just poor design. Nobody likes just simply taking damage from a random effect that doesn't not require positioning it should to use and that cannot be prevented or defended.

in fairness, literally everything else I've seen about this these is super duper awesome cool, but that makes this the sore thumb even more.

Fingers crossed they have left out details that mitigate the bummer (like maybe it only affects units of 10 or more models because smaller units dodge the meteors), but if not, ouch.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/02/gloomspite-gitz-preview-part-1-the-basics-and-allegiance-abilitiesgw-homepage-post-4/

At the start of the game, you’ll pick a corner of the board for the Bad Moon to start in. Starting from the second battle round, it’ll begin to move from one corner to another – offering enhancements to Gloomspite Gitz units that are wholly within the board segment it’s currently shining on.

GloomspiteArmyRules-Jan2-BadMoonMap12mt.jpg

Enemy Units anywhere on the board are bombarded with meteors from the Bad Moon, and take damage.

Gloomspite Gitz Wizards under the Bad Moon get +1 to their casting rolls, while all other wizards get -1.

Gloomspite Gitz Generals get an additional command point in each hero phase they’re under the Bad Moon.

Squigs under the Bad Moon can advance and charge in the same turn.

Moonclan Grot units re-roll hit rolls of 1.

Spiderfang Grot units deal mortal wounds on a 5+ to hit, rather than a 6+.

Troggoths can re-roll the dice to see if they regenerate wounds, or double the results of their first roll.

This could mean anything from everything on the Board Segment, or the player gets a Bad Moon shooting attack at a unit of their choice that is anywhere on the battlefield.

I also can't tell, but is it locked on the diagonal? Is there a center stop point? How does it move?

8 minutes ago, Overread said:

I believe the context is that it only affects one of 4 segments of the board of which only 2 can ever be targeted in any one game as the Bad Moon travels from one corner to the other. 

I thought it meant it travelled in a clockwise or anti-clockwise motion, so it’ll hit every segment eventually but you can avoid it with good planning/movement

Even if it's just one section, and even if it's just D3 units taking one mortal wound, the unfun-ness remains.

Yeah, that character back there that is in a house, under a table, with a shield over his head that I have no way of seeing, getting to, or otherwise touching? Yeah, him? He's taking his last wound. Sorry 'bout that.

Not fun.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Even if it's just one section, and even if it's just D3 units taking one mortal wound, the unfun-ness remains.

Yeah, that character back there that is in a house, under a table, with a shield over his head that I have no way of seeing, getting to, or otherwise touching? Yeah, him? He's taking his last wound. Sorry 'bout that.

Not fun.

Eh he'll either die to a falling rock or to Khinerai deep striking in from nowhere ;)

6 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Not fun.

That sounds like wicked fun. Maybe you should just not play with that rule?

Edited by PJetski

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

Eh he'll either die to a falling rock or to Khinerai deep striking in from nowhere ;)

At least the DoK player has to take action and the opponent can position in such a way as to create a defense.

3 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

This feels like the very definition of jumping the gun... 

Maybe. I hope so. But, if you've been in this hobby long enough, you've seen this rule before and it makes you gun shy.

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

That sounds like wicked fun. Maybe you should just not play with that rule?

Yeah, cuz that's an option at an event.

Plus, I'm not gonna be a Richard and tell my opponent he can't use a rule that's in his book.

Given they've got predatory spell rules, the choice to make it move over board segements is a little weird but overall the rules aren't any stranger than the Idoneth Deepkin ones.

Random mortal wounds to enemy characters only helps the game. Hurting those "buff my units to be unbeatable" helps

25 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Not fun.

That’s funny first time hearing somebody complaining about such an ability.

Where were this complaints when magotkinn of Nurgle cosmetics out?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lucio said:

Random mortal wounds to enemy characters only helps the game. Hurting those "buff my units to be unbeatable" helps

Yeah, I'm super pumped to lose my already fragile BoC characters to a mechanic I can't play around *eyeroll*. I'm going to hold back on declaring that the sky is falling because as others have said - we haven't seen the total mechanic. But I can say with certainty that no it doesn't only help the game. 

Edited by SwampHeart
  • Like 3

How is your example any different from an endless spell like say the comet? Dracoth breath? Sylvaneth rousing the woods ability, or the Maggotkin ability? We have these things in the game already and I am guessing those are not fun for you too. But regardless if you think it is not fun it might be thematic or fun for the other players and it sounds like it is a very much a small piece of the game.

Your interpretation of the rule does not make it a bad rule. It makes it a bad rule for you. 

Games designers look for thematic and enjoyable rules within their games. If the majority didn't like it fair enough but a small minority means it will be a success. Whether this is the former or the later remains to be seen until the 12th at the minimum. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ryan Taylor said:

How is your example any different from an endless spell like say the comet? Dracoth breath? Sylvaneth rousing the woods ability, or the Maggotkin ability?

We don't know the rules so its impossible to say how similar or dissimilar this rule is from those. Most of those that you mentioned have some form of counter play (which this may also have, we don't know yet). 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ryan Taylor said:

Sorry to be clear I was referring to the example of a model in a house with a table and a shield. The examples I gave can touch that model without having a counter point from the opposing player tbh. 

I don't presume to speak for Sleboda but I think he was more using that as an example of his potential concern. I'm reserving my judgement until we see the rule but I can say that if its just a purely random set of happenstance mortal wounds I don't think it'll contribute to positive game play experiences. But again - none of us know - it may be far more tame or there may be some counter play in it. 

• Like 3