AoS comics...

JPjr

Leaving aside the one page web-serials they put on the community site is anyone making (or has made) any proper AoS comics?

Looks like Titan do a couple of 40K ones, though hardly with a heavy publishing schedule, and even a Blood Bowl one, though that's released even more irregularly,  but nothing else.

I think Boom used to do 40K ones as well and might have done one short Fantasy series in the mid 00s but nothing since.

Feels like there'd be huge synergy between these two areas of nerd interest, at least enough to maintain a couple of monthly titles, but it never seems to have taken off.

I'd have thought someone like IDW or even Rebellion could do a decent job, especially when you see some of the new. more comic, art like this.

Dec31-HappyNewYear-NewBannerImage3jvrg.jpg

• Like 1

That's a great idea! I'm surprised the thought has never crossed my mind. I love comics and AoS. Now that you've said it it seems obvious. lol

I think I would prefer an IDW or more indie comic company to make it. I think the larger the company publishing the more they would want to soften up the material for broader audiences so they could sell more comics. I wouldn't want AoS stories to lose their grim darkness. Which is kind of why I think a 40k/fantasy/AoS movie or tv show would be difficult to make. 

I never knew about the 40k and fantasy comics. I'll have to check them out. 

Someone like IDW would make a lot of sense, they have the experience of dealing with the direct market and work with a lot of licensed material, so would hopefully handle the setting with some degree of respect (or just hire the right people to do it).

Although I like the art for its simplistic nature and bright colors, I wouldn't want to read a comic in that particular style. Otherwise, I am very interested in the comics, the thicker the content the better.

Realistically, if GW is afraid of a financial investment, simply make it an(other) internet comic with a more realistic style and see where it goes. Should it prove to be successful, there's always an option to expand, clean, adjust the colors before you send it to the printers. There's also nothing stopping them from making another challenge like they had last year's for writing, only this time it's for drawing/comic, publish the top 5 winners on your site and see what's the response from the audience. 

I'd prefer to see Humanoids give it a try - they have some outstanding artists working on their comics and could really add the detail that we see in a lot of the general artwork for Warhammer.

Or heck how about the person who did Yiu https://www.comixology.co.uk/Yiu-Vol-1-In-Hell/digital-comic/342591?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Db2xsZWN0ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw Now there is a comic that captures 40K and could easily  capture AoS style. 

Then again I've a bias and fondness of seeing comics in high detail, which tends to mean a lot of French once. They've a much more mature and developed style rather than the Marvel or DC style which is often more what I'd consider casual in many respects.