Piling into melee moves

Carnivore

Question

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

I have a question, that is so simple, but as we all know, we often don't remember details of the simplest things correct.

When going into melee combat by charging, we have to move up to 1/2" to any enemy model, with at least one of our models. That's that as I remember correct.

But now my question:

When a unit is activated, that is within 3" of an enemy and does a pile in move, can it already hit the enemy group, when it is only within range?

Let us say it has 2" range, wants to pile in, but can't get base to base with at least one model. Can it hit the enemy by just being in range, as it has piled in up to that 2" range?
And if so, wouldn't the charge rules become redundant then?

cheers///

2 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

I have a question, that is so simple, but as we all know, we often don't remember details of the simplest things correct.

When going into melee combat by charging, we have to move up to 1/2" to any enemy model, with at least one of our models. That's that as I remember correct.

But now my question:

When a unit is activated, that is within 3" of an enemy and does a pile in move, can it already hit the enemy group, when it is only within range?

Let us say it has 2" range, wants to pile in, but can't get base to base with at least one model. Can it hit the enemy by just being in range, as it has piled in up to that 2" range?
And if so, wouldn't the charge rules become redundant then?

cheers///

You just need to be in range with a melee weapon to make an attack, base to base isn't a requirement.

Charging prevents units being able to just wander up to each other and fight. Unless someone charges, piling in cannot happen as charging (and subsequent pile-ins) are the only way that the 3" bubble around units can be broken (special rules notwithstanding).

Archived