January 2019 White Dwarf "overwrites" Skirmish book from 2017?

eekamouse

40 minutes ago, Tzaangor Management said:

I agree that Warcry looks like it'll be Chaos only. On the face of it that seems a fairly crazy decision, given the partisan nature of their customer's faction choices, but it would allow them to really get a better grip on balance without having to weed through the hundreds of warscrolls.

GW appear to be making a tentative step towards balanced, competitive games with Shadespire and the latest release for Kill Team and I wonder if this isn't an attempt to do this for AOS. Far easier to do this with a limited number of warscrolls, where they can be edited on an individual basis, than to risk oversights by applying some kind of formula similar to what we've seen with Skirmish. 

I'm excited to see how this release develops and doubly so given the involvement of Sam Pearson.

Of course this is all based on one trailer, the people working on it and the trends in the company. 

I agree with your scenario seems the most likely. A competitive skirmish game, and to achieve that limited warscrolls  

But just to have some alternatives:

1. If you look at the varangaurd novels. It’s all about the progression of the anti heroes into the ranks of the varanguard. So a character progression focussed system could very well fit. Also fits with the focus of hinterlands by Sam Pearson 

2. Alternatively with the latest update of skirmish it was warband progression light. Maybe this will be warband progression heavy. So more shadespire style warband in which the different models improve. And varanguard just a setting. 

3. Lastly it’s just Mordheim in a different setting. Least likely but hey... 

But mainly I just hope GW will be more clear on what they are making there instead of how they handles skirmish. Because that mismatch hurt the most if I look at this thread. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Of course this is all based on one trailer, the people working on it and the trends in the company. 

I agree with your scenario seems the most likely. A competitive skirmish game, and to achieve that limited warscrolls  

But just to have some alternatives:

1. If you look at the varangaurd novels. It’s all about the progression of the anti heroes into the ranks of the varanguard. So a character progression focussed system could very well fit. Also fits with the focus of hinterlands by Sam Pearson 

2. Alternatively with the latest update of skirmish it was warband progression light. Maybe this will be warband progression heavy. So more shadespire style warband in which the different models improve. And varanguard just a setting. 

3. Lastly it’s just Mordheim in a different setting. Least likely but hey... 

But mainly I just hope GW will be more clear on what they are making there instead of how they handles skirmish. Because that mismatch hurt the most if I look at this thread. 

I would love both hero and warband progression. I never played the tabletop version of Mordheim, but sunk hundreds of hours into the recent PC game and always enjoyed the Chaos faction the most due to the unpredictable mutation upgrades. 

Permadeath and injury are also big pluses for me, as I love the effect that this has on the narrative of a warband. My one-armed Skaven leader was one of my favourite characters, as he had increased dodge due to losing an arm (less of him to hit I guess), which made him a weirdly tanky character with his high agility. I hope these are available options (both present in Hinterlands if memory serves), even if just as an additional ruleset.

Fingers crossed for more reveals at the next major event.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:44 PM, michu said:

Or it goes like that: it's a game about chaos champion wandering to the Varanspire, because they want to join Archaon's hordes and Order and Death are trying to stop them and Destruction... just basically joins the fight for fun.

Also a possibility: Archaon lures, abducts, and misdirects other factions to the Eightpoints to give aspiring champions something else to fight against.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:44 PM, michu said:

Or it goes like that: it's a game about chaos champion wandering to the Varanspire, because they want to join Archaon's hordes and Order and Death are trying to stop them and Destruction... just basically joins the fight for fun.

Also a possibility: Archaon lures, abducts, and misdirects other factions to the Eightpoints to give aspiring champions something else to fight against.

Archived