January 2019 White Dwarf "overwrites" Skirmish book from 2017?

eekamouse

I've been reading through the new issue spoiled here: 

He gets to the skirmish pages at about the 6:20 mark.

Some of it is blurry and hard to read. But... what seems implied to me is the following:

• You can use any models in the line, including stuff like Nagash and Forgeworld (which I love since I can make an Azgorh warband).
  • In Matched Play, it only goes to 250 renown, so stuff like Nagash won't come into play there.
  • The above should make for some really cool narrative stuff. (Small band of Freeguild vs a Mournghul... etc... )
  • Everything is pointed based on a formula. Champion "models" like Primes, Sergeants, etc.. have an added cost. This seems like a good thing.
  • It seems like everything is still only Grand Alliances. No factions specific allegiance abilities yet.
  • Table size is 30" x 40" (strange size imo). I bet they will sell boards ala Kill Zones for Kill Team.
  • No summoning. No Realm of Battle. No Endless Spells.
  • Command points and abilities are IN, but command abilities that affect Battleshock are disabled.
  • The February White Dwarf will have more rules, including a full campaign.
  • Five Battleplans in this issue. Probably more in February.
  • Last and maybe most importantly is the Formation rule that limits the scope of warscroll abilities. Hopefully, that will lead to a more balanced game.

I think that's it.  I may have missed (or misinterpreted) stuff.

I'm definitely excited for my issue to show up!

-edit-

There is actually a Battleplan that lets players try and control an Endless Spell that starts in the center of the table (even though Endpless Spells are normally not allowed). I imagine this scenario is probably hilarious. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Kramer said:

And its The start. Who knows how they’ll build it out 

Ya. I need to play it, but it already at least "smells" better than what we had before.

16 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

30 x 40 is roughly half of a Hallowheart board.

So it is. Half is exactly 33"x44.5". Those boards are double sided too, so that could make for a good bang for your buck.

15 hours ago, eekamouse said:
  • Table size is 30" x 40" (strange size imo). I bet they will sell boards ala Kill Zones for Kill Team.

Standard foldable rectangular table sizes, like the ones often used in game stores, are 30" by 72". Regular sized games can be played on two of these for a 5x6 foot play area.

Otherwise, thanks for showing!

21 hours ago, eekamouse said:

You can use any models in the line, including stuff like Nagash and Forgeworld (which I love since I can make an Azgorh warband)

• In Matched Play, it only goes to 250 renown, so stuff like Nagash won't come into play there.
  • The above should make for some really cool narrative stuff. (Small band of Freeguild vs a Mournghul... etc... )
  • Everything is pointed based on a formula. Champion "models" like Primes, Sergeants, etc.. have an added cost. This seems like a good thing.

Selection rules match those of the Skirmish book with a few exceptions:

Reknown is calculated by dividing Min Unit Size from points, then rounding down to remove the remainder. Considering that Skirmish merely divided everything by 5, this is a welcome change for me.

Unit Leaders are referred to as Champions.

Unit Champions and Limited Weapon Options (such as a Grandhammer/Grandblade for Liberators) are +5 Reknown for each. You are limited to one Champion/Leader per Unit, and restricted with Limited Weapon Options the same as if it was a full unit (1 in 5 for the Liberator example).

Standard Bearers, Musicians, and other non-limited upgrades affect all models from the same warscroll within 6" of it. I don't recall that in the Skirmish book, and happy to see it here.

14 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

Standard Bearers, Musicians, and other non-limited upgrades affect all models from the same warscroll within 6" of it. I don't recall that in the Skirmish book, and happy to see it here.

This is in the Skirmish book, page 16. So no change.

Kind of a pain they changed how renown is calculated, it means I can't keep using the really nice Forgotten Heroes force list. 

I like a small premium for the Champions and Limited Weapons, though.  Better weapons costing nothing extra is a dumb part of AoS, right along with mounts being free for heroes.  Seems like mounts in Skirmish should have a premium, too, though.   Maybe house rule them as the same as the Champion cost?

18 minutes ago, Aegisgrimm said:

Kind of a pain they changed how renown is calculated, it means I can't keep using the really nice Forgotten Heroes force list. 

I like a small premium for the Champions and Limited Weapons, though.  Better weapons costing nothing extra is a dumb part of AoS, right along with mounts being free for heroes.  Seems like mounts in Skirmish should have a premium, too, though.   Maybe house rule them as the same as the Champion cost?

Ya that's a good point. Although... riding out a single rider or two like that might not always be a good move. Thinking on cavalry though, they are probably pointed appropriately... as most you will be dividing by 3 instead of 5 or 10. And heroes will already be a lot more points.

2 minutes ago, eekamouse said:

You add a few extra points for them after the calculation.

How few? ;) (might get a game in tomorrow, doesnt make a lot of difference but seeing as I'm already the 'Guardian of the rules' in my group, i'd rather get it right first time or the jokes that I make up all the rules will never stop 😂)

1 minute ago, robinlvalentine said:

If you scroll up, @Fairbanks laid it all out above 

Thanks I did, sadly almost everything. Yes to the champions being 5 pts extra. No to the extra cost if the champion gets a special weapon. 

4 minutes ago, eekamouse said:

5....  or 3. Hard to tell :)

Haha that's where I ended up. Oh well, the White Dwarf will be in the shops soon enough. Thanks 👍

These rules are probably what I wanted the most. No fundamental changes, some balancing, and fitting the rules whitin 2.0’s framework. Skirmish is still Skirmish, and not some KT copy. 

I am sure there are many who long for a new Mordheim (me too). Perhaps that is further down the line, but meanwhile we can enjoy Frostgrave/RoSD. 😉

6 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

These rules are probably what I wanted the most. No fundamental changes, some balancing, and fitting the rules whitin 2.0’s framework. Skirmish is still Skirmish, and not some KT copy. 

I am sure there are many who long for a new Mordheim (me too). Perhaps that is further down the line, but meanwhile we can enjoy Frostgrave/RoSD. 😉

Same here for the core rules, but I do like me a good campaign expansion. Something that makes you care about keeping your warband alive. Even if it's only a upgrade and perma damage/death table for the heroes, and a smaller one for the Champions. That being said I still hope they also do a kill team like game for AoS just feel GW should not try to do both at once. Take their time and make it two separate things. 

It’s actually 7 new battleplans not 5. Many are very similar to those from the original Skirmish book.

In addition:

Each Grand Alliance has a different Allegiance Ability specifically for Skirmish. It’s the only one you can use.

As far as I can remember (don’t have my copy on me) you can only use the Command Trait / Artefact from Skirmish, whereas before I believe you could still use those from the Grand Alliance abilities instead.

I'm fairly excited to give Skirmish another go now that there's been some changes to it.

So, Renown are essentially just basic points now then? I play Pestilens, so whilst I could have my warband led by a Plague Furnace now to make Rabid Fever a possibility, I should probably keep to a Plague Priest to keep up the horde of rats aesthetic. Having over 20 Plague Monks skittering around the table with the Priest seems like it could be fun!

My main worry which I hope gets plugged up is some models are OP to a broken level in current Skirmish, the Branchwych's spell for example that one-shots pretty much anything against it. AoS28 Warband and Hinterlands plugged that by restraining damage output for each model to 3 max per turn.

47 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

@Kramer and with the campaign stuff in February’s WD, the magazine is suddenly relevant again. Let me see... Ha ha! The last WD I ever bought was in January 2010!

Haha tell me about it. I really like the new concept for the white swat. It really adds value to the magazine. Great Business descision. But as a player it kind of works against itself. Needing multiple sources is annoying but especially for new players it’s not a intro game. But I’m finally excited for a white dwarf before it releases. (Although I did buy two last year for shadespire cards)

6 hours ago, Bohemond said:

Ya there's something to be said for having an option for extremely straight forward and easy to pick-up and play. I got into AoS effectively playing "skirmish" with the models in the Silver Tower box set, just playing small games with a couple of heroes and villains and the Tzeentch mobs. Fell in love immediately. And, it was small enough my son could play at the time. 

And, I honestly just set my games of Frostgrave in a tucked away corner of the Mortal Realms anyway, using a good chunk of AoS models ;)

I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on this update. Just how I wanted it too. Looks like a nice update to an easy-to-get-into variant for Age of Sigmar. Very pleased the system opens up a wider variety of models too. I take it it is confirmed we don't need the old Skirmish book anymore? (I am very happy I have it, was so cheap and I love all the battle plans that came with it).

Archived