Smoothening a porous surface

TMS

When I prime some of these shields with corax white they turn out like on the image, rather rough and unattractive. Stripping the paint off and trying again doesn't work and it's only on some of the shields, so something must've happened to them.

Is there a good way of smoothening out the surface? Perhaps some watered down PVA glue?

Thanks!

s1.jpg

I've only tried with corax white but like I said in the first post, only some of the shields had this happen to them. And when I stripped the paint off and tried again the results were the same.  I'll go ahead and try it with chaos black as well, though, just to see if it's any different there.

I'd be curious if the results are the same with the black primer. As for the white, to put in more context, CW doesn't powder up from the get-go but after a few minutes of use depending on weather conditions. So while some shields may look good, the more you use the can the more powdery they become. If you want the CW to work you have shake the can constantly, almost annoyingly so. You got three or four good passes against your models? Better shake for another five minutes! It can be that bad.

I also hate to be that guy but just to be sure, all the shields unprimed are all smooth surfaces correct?

9 hours ago, CaptainSoup said:

I also hate to be that guy but just to be sure, all the shields unprimed are all smooth surfaces correct?

That's what I'm currently suspecting, that something's gone and made the shields micro-porous or whatever. They're all the old Bretonnia type and are supposed to be smooth, most of mine have been. I've bought them second hand so who knows what they could have been through. I haven't gotten around to priming them black yet but I'll be back with the results when I have.

Corax White does this loads, it's pretty finnicky unfortunately.

Quickest fix can be just to spray more, the solvent melts the powder.

Other than that, liquid greenstuff works, to get the smoothest surface you'd need to fill the recess, coat the top with water and then use the plastic that comes with regular greenstuff to smooth the surface.