Nagash Counter?

On 1/10/2019 at 10:15 PM, Saxon said:

Even worse is the salt that flows if and when you kill these models. I shot kroak down in a single turn with hellblasters a while back (3 amazing dice rolls with no doubles) and my opponent essentially went "I can't win, lets quit". Yawn.  

That depends on the player surely? I’ve had a player take a turn 1 loss of Nagash in good humour. Admittedly I warned him I was going to attempt to do it pre game, which maybe took the sting out of it, but still.

I’ve had it both ways though so o know what you mean. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest, rather than avoid the guys with Nagash, challenge them to a game and use it as training.  A sailing coach once told me "Don't practice what you're good at, practice what you're bad at."

Take a shooty army list and try to delete him turn one and see what happens. Take a melee army and ignore him, see what happens. That way you gain experience against the Nagash list and learn what works and what doesn't so that when you do meet the list in a tournament, you have an idea of how to counter him.

People can and do give good advice here, but there is no replacement for experience.

BTW I have played six games against Nighthaunt at tournaments and have scored six major defeats, four by being tabled, so this advice may be rubbish!😀

15 hours ago, Lucio said:

I'm wondering whether a Squig heavy Gloomspite Gitz army can put the hurt onto Nagash, particularly with a Mangler Loonboss and a few units of knights to literally bounce Nagash to death.

This is an absolutely hilarious image, if nothing else.

As someone who uses nagash....

Best way to counter him.... rend him. He gets a 4+ against mortal wounds so your expensive mortal wound output is basically the same as having rend -1.

If your army has any access to instant spell denies (all order armies can ally an incantor, there's a couple of others like the brazen rune etc) can really help for getting big hitters in range and stopping things like hand of dust and whatnot for that one turn your in range...

But the most common way I see mine go down is damned bloodthirsters rolling double 6s on their charges like 100% of the time!!! (Your mileage may vary on that one 😉 )

I have now faced Nagash (2x 40 skeletons, 2 x necro) twice using my Maggotkin. Got tabled first game with the net loss of 2 skeletons and lost the second when Nagash took out 30 plaguebearers, a pox bringer and got a GUO into his last health box in two turns of combat and one hero phase. 

Is there anything, at all, Maggotkin can do against Legions and specifically, Nagash? Because I'm completely at a loss. I had a tough time with 1000pt games against normal non Nagash legions, but feel 2000pts is hopeless. Do Maggotkin just suck or is it me?

1 hour ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

I have now faced Nagash (2x 40 skeletons, 2 x necro) twice using my Maggotkin. Got tabled first game with the net loss of 2 skeletons and lost the second when Nagash took out 30 plaguebearers, a pox bringer and got a GUO into his last health box in two turns of combat and one hero phase. 

Is there anything, at all, Maggotkin can do against Legions and specifically, Nagash? Because I'm completely at a loss. I had a tough time with 1000pt games against normal non Nagash legions, but feel 2000pts is hopeless. Do Maggotkin just suck or is it me?

Couple questions:

1) What specifically is your trouble with nagash? Is it his magic? Is it that you cant kill him? 

2) what's the rest of his list? 

3) what models do you have at your disposal?

I dont know if theres anything in maggotkin that can actually kill him (maybe spit roasting nagash with a couple of GUOs, idk) but you can basically feed him plague bearers and keep him out of the picture as far as melee goes.

Nagash is maggotkin direct counter. The only way to squeeze in a victory is going with goats and pestilent throng. And it is Not easy but at least manageable.

Unfortunately Guos aren't as reliable as him in the magic phase, you have no shooting to take him out, and you won't be able to fit a deathstar in him if he is smart (because of bubblewrap).

Just play something else, if you do Not have another army try as hard as you can. But it will be really hard. Maybe if he is Not going grimghast you could try a blight cyst but it is an suboptimal build atm.

Nurgle main since 2016.

I feared as much. I have pretty much everything on the Nurgle roster available to me and can't see anything that would work. To be perfectly honest I struggle really hard against Legions lists without Nagash in them. I don't feel like Nurgle has the tools to get at Death generals and stop the resurrection, and with things like plaguebearers it's hard to even get the damage off in the first place. It's quite frustrating. 

8 hours ago, Oldshrimpeyes said:

They're the one army which can beat you at your own game, of being super tough.

A couple of options to consider

Harbinger of Decay + Warshrine + Nurgle marked Chaos Warriors - Gives you three save attempts against Mortal wounds, and a decent damage output. A couple of blocks of 20 form a core to your army. You want 2 Warshrines in your army as well as one is gonna get targeted and killed in short order

A couple of cheap characters can help too, Slambo, the Dark Oath Chieftan and the Dark Oath Warqueen all bring a little rend with a lot of attacks for their points

Plagueclaw Catapults are an option, and they have the Nurgle keyword so aren't an ally choice. They help thin down large units

Plague Census Bearers are also cheaper than Chaos Chosen for getting a unit in place with Rend

Archived