How to make a dent in the unpainted pile of shame!

RexHavoc

26 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

Wow! 900 models... I thought I was doing well with around 150 or so...

Lots of good suggestions so far. I've used a mix of these at times. I've sold off or given away models that I knew I would never really get around to. I've created detailed lists with goals for the year. I've painted for an hour or two every other/third day to get things done. It works!

Yeah, it was a bit of a productive one. I also made a new 8x6 table and a tonne of terrain as well. I’m mainly a historical player and like to do both sides of an era to be able to host

little and often is how it gets done. 20-30 mins per night.

I posted this in a different thread but it really helped me.

“I helped myself get  stuff painted by refusing to play with unpainted miniatures and giving  up video games”

You can also free up loads of time by killing off things that you now only do out of habit, i.e. stop watching long running TV shows where the quality has dipped, you won’t miss anything by not watching the last day TV hit etc. Focus on the things you really enjoy and your productivity will peak

In regards to inefficiency with painting, I had major problems with that too (going back to do the same colours again etc). I got over it by taking the time out to do a test model and then writing down my paint order afterwards.

For example, I just finished my test model for my Melusai and I'm doing it in sub assemblies for the sake of easy access to skin etc. However, I realised that in the case of the armour and leather, I had to go back and mix up paints separately for the top and bottom as I painted the sub assemblies as entirely separate things. I also has to clean up the black in the scales multiple times because I would paint them before the details on the scales themselves (like patterning etc).

Once I had written out all my individual steps, I thus looked at how to make the whole process more efficient. For example, I realised the leather and armour are easy to access so I can do them last after having stuck the sub assemblies together and treat them as one step rather than two. I've also decided to do all the details on the scales first, allowing me to do one final clean up with the black at the end.

Write down each step when you've decided on it and turn it into a sort of recipe. The goal is to only have to use colour once (if two steps use the same colour midway through, being both of them up to that point before using that colour for example).

Hope that helps, I'm working through a large backlog myself and being somewhat of a perfectionist makes it hard to accept lower quality. As such I've taken the approach of making getting high quality more efficient rather than producing something I won't be happy with.

Archived