Small Model Count Army for Ease of Transport

Grizzly

Hi!

Sorry another day, another topic about starting a new army.

I posted this on the Reddit too for maximum advice coverage :)

I've had a sudden flash of inspiration to pick up an AoS army as a little project; but I really want a small army, preferably one which is made up of mostly (if not entirely) infantry models. No large centrepieces, no chariots, no wings etc. Just infantry dudes I can sling in 1 KR case and get the bus with.

I've sort of narrowed it down to Ironjawz and Soulblight, however Soulblight does break my no big models, no wings rule.

I've also got Blightkings and Skullcrusher cav heavy lists floating about in my head. Anything else I haven't thought of? I'm not super into the Stormcast or Clan Skyre vibe, the models are cool though. They were also suggested as alternatives. But more outside the box ideas welcomed!

I won't be playing tournaments or anything so it doesn't need to be super competitive. 

As for models, people say play what you like the look of, which is great advice! I've been collecting on and off for nearly 20 years so own a few bits and bobs from various factions. But essentially I kinda like elements from every faction. The army size is the key thing for me at the mo.

Thanks and happy new year!

The medium sized gwcase should hold almost any 1k army. Can even fit mediun sized models like carnosaur, bastiladon, etc.the large case holds twice as much. One thing you can do is magnetize some models, for instance my engine of the gods comes apart for easier transport. 

Usually for more elite armies or giant models I use magnets on the bases and a tray. Which could fit in a case of some sort. If that option appeals to you. 

I dont think you should pick an army based on transportation.  If you don't pick models you enjoy the look of / have fun painting, or don't like the playstyle of, then what is the point?

Ogors can probably field potent elite armies without the need for a ton of extra big monsters. They aren't exactly frail models, and most of the "big stuff" has been placed into BCR now, so definitely worth considering.  

Alternatively, all troggoth army looks to be a superb new option (even though you have the big ass dankhold lord that is presumably needed to unlock troggoths as battle line).  I'd wait and see how that evolves over the coming weeks. 

17 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

I dont think you should pick an army based on transportation.  If you don't pick models you enjoy the look of / have fun painting, or don't like the playstyle of, then what is the point?

With all due respect, that's up to me. Looking for suggestions for small, elite armies as I know very little about the game. Then will narrow it down from there.

I generally prefer an agressive, fast moving playstyle. I used to play thunderwolf cavalry in 40k, so that might be a reasonable frame of reference? Something hard hitting.

Thanks for getting back to me though!

15 minutes ago, Elmir said:

Ogors can probably field potent elite armies without the need for a ton of extra big monsters. They aren't exactly frail models, and most of the "big stuff" has been placed into BCR now, so definitely worth considering.  

Alternatively, all troggoth army looks to be a superb new option (even though you have the big ass dankhold lord that is presumably needed to unlock troggoths as battle line).  I'd wait and see how that evolves over the coming weeks. 

What's the BCR?

Troggoths would be a cool theme! Would that be Chaos or destruction?

Sorry for my ignorance. You'll have to talk slowly to me as I've been away from GW for about 18 months.

You asked for outside the box: I just realized how convenient Giant Rats are for transportation: I can fit twenty of them in my jeans pocket... If you want an absolute horde with minimal transport, just go with Clan Moulder 160 giant rats, 2 packmasters and 1 allied plague priest...  You could fit this full infantry army of 163 models in a pencil case...

Edit: woops I got confused between "small army", " army size" and "small model count" :/ this suggestion fits the first two but not the last! It is perhaps the smallest army yet the highest model count...

9 minutes ago, Aegisgrimm said:

Beastclaw Raiders might feel similar to you as Thunderwolf Cavalry, as you stated you played them, though its not really the "all infantry" army you originally spoke of.

Indeed, I'm thinking they are a bit bulky but the playstyle probably fits.

I have a gutbusters army. Other than the standard bearers, the army is very sturdy with no big models that would lend itself well to transportation. They may also get a battletome in the near future, but that is speculation.   They don't move fast, but they hit hard and can take a beating. 

I can fit 1200 points of Stormcast into the smallest GW case

Arcanum on Gryph Charger

10 Sequitors

10 Judicators

10 Evocators 

Still room for about another 5 bases or so as well. Entirely infantry with the exception of the general. Not fast but they can alpha strike so they’re not Foot sloggers either. They hit hard and are very durable. Also pretty cheap financially. 

The new grot release has the option of doing nothing but troggoths.  That should be small model count and elite, and hopefully very powerful and cost efficient as well to make tournament viable.  If they match up to my required power index after doing the spreadsheet analysis I know I will be picking one up because it should be cheapish to get painted if there aren't many models!

26 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

The new grot release has the option of doing nothing but troggoths.  That should be small model count and elite, and hopefully very powerful and cost efficient as well to make tournament viable.  If they match up to my required power index after doing the spreadsheet analysis I know I will be picking one up because it should be cheapish to get painted if there aren't many models!

Yeah! Thinking that I might have to wait for this battletome before I can decide!

I would highly recommend a SCE army based on 10 Evocators , 6 Evocators on Dracolines, and Gavriel Sureheart. Those 17 models come in at 1100 points and have to be the most bang for your buck in the game based on power level... If you don't care about optimization just fill out the rest of the list with whatever. The Evos and Sureheart alone dropping from the sky will win you a ton of games.

Blightkings work well for a low model count, though are best with a Warshrine, and the flying ones.

Troggoths are definitely looking positive if they have a battleline choice available, and you can always branch out into some squigs if you like the models.

One that hasn't come up is Beasts of Chaos, if you field predominately Bulgors, Shoggoths and Dragon Ogors, you've got a very elite army

Just checked and  Doombull, a Shaggoth, 9 Bullgors and 3 Dragon Ogors is a 1000 pt force with an endless spell or two to round it out

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go with my gut and pick up some Soulblight stuff. It was fun exploring and agonising over all the alternatives though, laying in bed trying to sleep while my brain is debating the pros and cons of faction xyz. You all know the feeling i'm sure.

Got some minis on the way, and will likely start a painting blog here at some point.

Thanks for all the excellent advice!

I knocked up a 1K list to work towards and practice with, as follows -

Allegiance: Soulblight
- Bloodline: Swift Death
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Nightmare
- Trait: Transfix
- Artefact: The Saccharine Goblet
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
6 x Vargheists (320)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 69

Looking forward to my AoS adventure.

18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I decided to go with my gut and pick up some Soulblight stuff. It was fun exploring and agonising over all the alternatives though, laying in bed trying to sleep while my brain is debating the pros and cons of faction xyz. You all know the feeling i'm sure.

Got some minis on the way, and will likely start a painting blog here at some point.

Thanks for all the excellent advice!

I knocked up a 1K list to work towards and practice with, as follows -

Allegiance: Soulblight
- Bloodline: Swift Death
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Mount: Nightmare
- Trait: Transfix
- Artefact: The Saccharine Goblet
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Blood Knights (240)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
6 x Vargheists (320)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 69

Looking forward to my AoS adventure.

Looks pretty good, keep in mind that dire wolves will be allies in a soulblight army.

If you take them as a part of a legions of nagash army they aren't though. Really depends on the allegiance abilities you want to use.

Archived