Morks Toofy Gitz (Building to Gloomspite)

Melcavuk

The newest release teaser has perked my interest again so I’ve opted to build toward Gloomspite with my partner. She has started off simple with a colossal squig to paint up whilst in chipping away at converting my own tribe of Morks Toofy Gitz. Led by the Smilin Tyrant they originate from fungal marshland.

in the process of repainting my Gobba and have converted a counts as Loonboss on Giant Squig along with my Arachnarok.

All bases are WIP with miliput adding depth before I apply dirt and then paint the marshland

0FE339A5-81EA-43F2-972E-F6575A0C7309.jpeg

0D2CB165-2AC2-4873-9B30-F6E739FB4E07.jpeg

2B3A80F7-5EE0-4760-BF45-DB1642885B58.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

Cheers nad yeah, the new Gloomspite models are so packed with character and passion that its hard not to get enthused, and the potential for conversions is incredibly enticing.

For day two I've been working on the Gobba:

As part of the Gloomspite prep I've been rebasing and retouching the Squig Gobba I had done up for my suneaters army, whilst the original photo (second one) is hard to pick out details from it was OSL heavy and had minimal effort put into both basing and the grot crew. So here's the new paintjob and base (composite photo) C&C welcome even if its to say the original was better, I painted both so cant be offended.

Gobba.jpg

IMG_3709.JPG

• Like 5

Work in progress on the Red Kaptain, riding into battle on the Red Kap Kroc from the Fungal marshes the rider is sadly far less known (and feared) than his mount. For decades he was heralded by screeches that the Red Kap was coming until eventually he took it upon himself to claim the name, and bask in the reflected glory of his mount.

Lurking deep in the fungal marshes that Red Kaps are the only known place that the potent Kraw Fang mushroom grow, sprouting from fissures in the reddened hide they induce states of extreme rage and heightened europhia. Those under the influence often wading deep into the marshes to try and butcher any in their path blind to the depths of the water they enter. Soon after such foolhardy grots are dragged to the depths by a Red Kap hunting pack.

Redkap.jpg

• Like 7

Sounds great, I love realm themed armies as it invites new take on a faction and inspires others.

Day one progress for the Red Kaptain is nearing an end, mostly because waiting for varnish to dry seems like a night long task. But here is the rider getting some colours atleast

Redkap2.jpg

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

Stage one Mockup of Morgaraz the Spider King.
Not a huge fan of the big boss on giant spider model and without new models coming to replace him in the new Gloomspite Battletome I found the need to build a decent replacement.

The base should be the right size and with the pillar he has gained the added height.

Current WIP lore is Morgaraz was chasing the Bad Moon through the fungal marshes on night, eyes turned skywards as he clamoured frantically over brush and through bog to try and pursue the malevolent god to earn his favour. Blind to the obstacles ahead of him Morgaraz fell quite unfavourably into the nest of an Arachnarok brood, quite unable to dwell on his misfortune the young Grot found himself wedged quite firmly into an arachnarok egg, the corrosive fluids within already withering his lower body.

Whether ignorant to the intruder, or simply mistaking the part grot part egg as one of its own brood the Arachnarok did not deliver the swift demise that Morgaraz expected, instead day after day, night after night he felt himself withering away.

It was then quite unexpected, as the brood began to hatch and the frenzied spiderlings began to clambour around the nest that Morgaraz too felt the egg beneath him tremour and shake. Erupting forth Morgaraz scrambled forth from the nest, his legs freed after weeks he ran for aslong and as far as he possibly could. It was only, given time to reflect that he glance down and found himself quite changed, below his waist his body was withered away, the fledgling spiderling too had suffered in the collision. Instead the two now existed, fused at the waste.

Morgoraz was reborn, king of the Spiderlings.

IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4935.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 1/3/2019 at 9:44 AM, Melcavuk said:
Stage one Mockup of Morgaraz the Spider King.
Not a huge fan of the big boss on giant spider model and without new models coming to replace him in the new Gloomspite Battletome I found the need to build a decent replacement.

The base should be the right size and with the pillar he has gained the added height.

Current WIP lore is Morgaraz was chasing the Bad Moon through the fungal marshes on night, eyes turned skywards as he clamoured frantically over brush and through bog to try and pursue the malevolent god to earn his favour. Blind to the obstacles ahead of him Morgaraz fell quite unfavourably into the nest of an Arachnarok brood, quite unable to dwell on his misfortune the young Grot found himself wedged quite firmly into an arachnarok egg, the corrosive fluids within already withering his lower body.

Whether ignorant to the intruder, or simply mistaking the part grot part egg as one of its own brood the Arachnarok did not deliver the swift demise that Morgaraz expected, instead day after day, night after night he felt himself withering away.

It was then quite unexpected, as the brood began to hatch and the frenzied spiderlings began to clambour around the nest that Morgaraz too felt the egg beneath him tremour and shake. Erupting forth Morgaraz scrambled forth from the nest, his legs freed after weeks he ran for aslong and as far as he possibly could. It was only, given time to reflect that he glance down and found himself quite changed, below his waist his body was withered away, the fledgling spiderling too had suffered in the collision. Instead the two now existed, fused at the waste.

Morgoraz was reborn, king of the Spiderlings.

IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4935.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

Simply amazing as always(and a good choice if the rules I read off of the New Zealand page are to go by) do you have any other conversions planned besides the Skragrott one? perhaps a special shaman variant?

I'll be making a shaman on foot model as we now have rules for the Arachnarok shaman without the Arachnarok and adding extra spell casters is always good. However the next purchase is definately going to be:

2 x Squig Hopper boxes - 5 of the riders (the lancers) will be put onto the spiders I am already reposing to make my own new Spiderfangs (love the current spiders, detest the riders), 10 will become Boinsquig dudes and then the now unmounted 10 squigs will be tweaked to turn into a squig herd with two custom herders being added. that way out of the two boxes I'll be able to finish:

5 spider riders
10 of the new squig lancers
10 squigs for squig herd.

And the Arachnarok just needs basing:
Arachnarok.jpg.6158cbc4abbb93589031b2b028b76d9c.jpg
Working on my Morgoraz the Spider King, he'll be running as a Scuttleboss in the new Battletome and I'm using his brood as a test bed for future small spider paintjobs. Really impressed with how posable the spiders are with minimal cuts and pinning given that its a kit a previously had neglected due to the stock poses all being remarkably similar.

One spider is now complete with the base colours across the other two brood members.
IMG_4955.JPG.7c582cdb76c9a8ec29721972c5a8e438.JPGIMG_4958.JPG.2a0d5fb3f0ba34c28a11ab5f3d654f83.JPGIMG_4957.JPG.9e30beaf331f6cbecd6f06c16356eb65.JPGIMG_4956.JPG.a5c2705d1da7f1590fe751601de70126.JPGIMG_4959.JPG.d3172f7dd8448617d450b21f1d5a0da2.JPG
C&C welcome as always.
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

Cheers guys, I paint fast when I'm motivated but its tough to do around a full time job, currently delaying painting the 20 shootas and 20 stabba conversions sat in my cabinet because they seem time consuming. Next job will be to repose the 5 spider mounts sat on my desk ready for when the new releases come out on Saturday (they're gaining squighopper riders)

Here's 2019's completed models to date for my Fledgling Gloomspite Gitz army. Considering repurposing and repainting my Rogue Idol from my Suneater Tribes but I'm not sold on the concept yet

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5008.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5000.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

Work in progress scheme for my Gloomspite Stabbas, its relatively simplistic but given how many times I need to duplicate it I'm happy with how he's shaped up. Sat next to the Red Kaptain for a reference.

IMG_5021.JPG

IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5019.JPG

you're right in the Gloomspite discussion, they do look like pretty great stabbas.

• Like 1