Selling Models: Painted vs Unpainted

Lord Panther

Was just looking for some thoughts on what kind of premium painted models should be sold at compared to unpainted. I'm going to try clear out some Bonesplitterz stuff to make way for more grots. One unit of savage orcs painted to what I consider a high standard and one unit unpainted. I know I will charge more for the painted ones just not sure how much. 

The only reason I question this is that I much prefer buying unpainted models and would personally rather pay more to not have to strip them so I can repaint in my scheme.

Thing is most people buying second hand models will value unpainted higher than painted because they want those models to fit into their current army. So unpainted tend to sell for a higher value than painted.

Now if they are painted to a proper pro standard and use a neutral or standard army theme then you might sell them for more - esp if they are advertised with good quality photos. However it might take longer to sell them. 

Another time models will sell for more is if they are older metal models since metal is very easy to paint strip with good results. Furthermore some classic sculpts are still considered popular and can command a good value on the secondhand market. Heck anything currently in finecast will sell well if you've got the old model in metal.

So clear good quality photos and a clear description and you might sell them for a bit more; but you'll be likely waiting a long while. Otherwise expect them to go at a lower rate since those buying are more than likely to paint strip them. 

As my general rule of thumb:

new on sprue or in box is 75% retail because third parties sell it for that discount snyway

assembled or assembled and primed lose 10%

full painted (standard) can get the same as primed

Fully painted (sub par) take off another 10%.

Competition (not high table top, actual competition) standard painted its entirely down to army demand but start at 150% original price 

On 12/31/2018 at 9:55 PM, Melcavuk said:

As my general rule of thumb:

new on sprue or in box is 75% retail because third parties sell it for that discount snyway

assembled or assembled and primed lose 10%

full painted (standard) can get the same as primed

Fully painted (sub par) take off another 10%.

Competition (not high table top, actual competition) standard painted its entirely down to army demand but start at 150% original price 

That's a really great way of working it out, cheers.

Archived