New to AoS and TGA :)

N1tr0sOx1d3

Hi all,

Nice to be a part of the community :)

My wife bought my son and I the Souls Wars box set. Lucky us :)

Togther we have built the models and over the course of the next few weeks we’ll paint them :)

We want to have a quick game this afternoon, and we are slowly going through the core rules.

What isn’t apparent is why Souls Wars comes with far greater numbers of Nighthaunts over Stormcast? 

Doesnt this give one of us a distinct advantage in favour of Nighthaunt?

The warscrolls stipulate that the stalkers/chainrasps/reapers can have has many chars per unit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

hey and welcome! think of it as the starter set being representative of a specific battle and not all battles are perfectly even. BUT some models are tougher than others so an elite army may have 20 models and a horde army may have 100 and there is a power balance between the two. 

Thank you :)

Could I possibly ask a couple of questions as there is some ambiguity on a couple of points?

When retreating, do you just follow the standard move rules for your unit and can run be a factor?

When a unit is engaged in melee combat within 1/2”, can the same unit continue to shoot in the following turn? Effectively attacking twice?

All the best for the New Year folks. Here’s hoping it’s a pleasant one for all!

Yes you move normally when retreating and even run if you wish. You cannot charge after retreating but allowed everything else. And if possible you must end at least 3” away from any other enemy units. You can’t moce from one  enemy unit to the other with normal and retreating moves only with charging and piling in.

Yes you can shoot while in melee combat or within 3” of an enemy unit. The one caveat is that you must shoot the enemy that is in melee range. You cannot shoot any other units.

5 hours ago, King Taloren said:

Yes you move normally when retreating and even run if you wish. You cannot charge after retreating but allowed everything else. And if possible you must end at least 3” away from any other enemy units. You can’t moce from one  enemy unit to the other with normal and retreating moves only with charging and piling in.

You also cannot shoot after retreating, in terms of restrictions. 

Thank you :)

Could anyone advise please on the purpose of choosing a general? The Core rules state that you must choose a general and should the general fall, another must be selected from your army. But unless I’m mistaken, the core rules don’t actually state the purpose or benefits of having said general.

Many thanks :)

The core rules include the “first blood” Battleplan.

Can anyone recommend the next ideal Battleplan to progress from here? As this BP could go stale with repeated play.

We are new to AoS and ideally want to progress slowly so we don’t get bogged down with too many rules.

Also, are we better off purchasing the 2018 GHB for more Battleplans or own factions tomes for their Battleplans? This is from an open play perspective whilst we acclimatise :)

All the best

11 hours ago, N1tr0sOx1d3 said:

The core rules include the “first blood” Battleplan.

Can anyone recommend the next ideal Battleplan to progress from here? As this BP could go stale with repeated play.

We are new to AoS and ideally want to progress slowly so we don’t get bogged down with too many rules.

Also, are we better off purchasing the 2018 GHB for more Battleplans or own factions tomes for their Battleplans? This is from an open play perspective whilst we acclimatise :)

All the best

I think you should just pick any scenario that sounds fun to you from the core book! You can't go that far wrong. I'd only say you probably shouldn't go with any of the ones that require lots of special rules to start with, like a siege, underground, airborne, etc. 

The Battletomes only have a couple of scenarios each. They're more for having all the info on your faction - they include stuff like spells, artifacts, special abilities, etc that are unique to that army, as well as listing the warscrolls and points for all units, and including lots of backstory on the faction. The scenarios they include are typically a bit gimmicky.

The GHB has about 12, which are all intended to be balanced, matched play-style scenarios - which is not to say you wouldn't have fun playing them in open play, it just means they're all fairly straightforward and they're all symmetrical (i.e. both sides follow the same rules and set up, instead of having attackers and defenders or anything like that) 

3 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

I think you should just pick any scenario that sounds fun to you from the core book! You can't go that far wrong. I'd only say you probably shouldn't go with any of the ones that require lots of special rules to start with, like a siege, underground, airborne, etc. 

The Battletomes only have a couple of scenarios each. They're more for having all the info on your faction - they include stuff like spells, artifacts, special abilities, etc that are unique to that army, as well as listing the warscrolls and points for all units, and including lots of backstory on the faction. The scenarios they include are typically a bit gimmicky.

The GHB has about 12, which are all intended to be balanced, matched play-style scenarios - which is not to say you wouldn't have fun playing them in open play, it just means they're all fairly straightforward and they're all symmetrical (i.e. both sides follow the same rules and set up, instead of having attackers and defenders or anything like that) 

Honesty thank you for the detailed reply. 

I haven't looked at the core book yet so haven’t seen those plans. 

We just read the core rules, and followed the Battleplan included in that. Huge thanks for highlighting that and I’ll take a look tonight. Naturally we’ve been concentrating on painting the models for now.

What happens in the event GW releases a new model/units that post faction tome? Isn’t the tome then out of date?

7 minutes ago, N1tr0sOx1d3 said:

What happens in the event GW releases a new model/units that post faction tome? Isn’t the tome then out of date?

no, Warscrolls for all AoS models/units are available to download on the website (and normally come in the box too), so when something brand new comes out generally speaking you can just plug it into your army as and when you wish (they tend to give the matched play points values too when it's a release totally out of sync with a new Battletome release, like with Underworlds Warbands).

@N1tr0sOx1d3 I'd also seriously recommend popping out and grabbing the current issue of White Dwarf. It has new rules in it for playing Skirmish games (that is AoS games with maybe just a dozen or so models on each side) and half a dozen new battleplans for games that size.

For the sake of a few quid, might as well buy it now and have it, especially if you're starting to build up armies from scratch, this will really let you have some fun with just the Soul Wars models before you start adding more to your collection (or let you try some different factions out and see what else appeals without having to go all in on loads of models).

46 minutes ago, JPjr said:

@N1tr0sOx1d3 I'd also seriously recommend popping out and grabbing the current issue of White Dwarf. It has new rules in it for playing Skirmish games (that is AoS games with maybe just a dozen or so models on each side) and half a dozen new battleplans for games that size.

For the sake of a few quid, might as well buy it now and have it, especially if you're starting to build up armies from scratch, this will really let you have some fun with just the Soul Wars models before you start adding more to your collection (or let you try some different factions out and see what else appeals without having to go all in on loads of models).

Fantastic! Will pop to my local Warhammer shop and buy today along with some more paints :D

Thanks muchly :)

Archived