What's the real story behind the launch of Age of Sigmar?

Ken

1 hour ago, Fairbanks said:

From a US player, we have also not seen a price decrease from the currency change (though there is more involved in it than a straight price exchange, such as shipping and handling).

And that's why their profit margin went up. If the $ is worth more £ and you spend the same amount of money you always did in the US, that equates to more £ in the UK where they measure their profits.

The same thing happened when the Australian dollar was getting really high (pre GFC). Our dollar was worth almost the same as the US dollar but we were still paying 50% more.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Ken Mitchell said:

Hi, I'm new to this community (old time player, just new here) what part of Missouri are you in? I'm in the middle of nowhere in the north part of the state, just curious where other "locals" are at.

I'll PM you real quick.  Dont need to further derail this thread from its topic.

4 hours ago, Dead Scribe said:

And I think thats exactly it tanked.  I realize anecdotes cannot be used as proper backing for a debate or argument or whatever, but I don't know anyone that plays these games that would play without a tournament mode.  Online discussions are also almost predominantly tournament mode.  I can understand that that is not representative of the entire population but no tournament mode means not selling your game, and I think that they proved that to themselves on the initial AOS release.

While there are a number of game systems that are designed for 'competitive' play from the get go (i.e. xwing, warmahordes).  There are also a number including the world of historicals where tournament play is very very rare or never seen (but also some fantasy type rules sets.)    I certainly think a 'tournament mode'  option helps bring in a certain group of players who wouldn't otherwise pick up a game but in the  large and diverse population of miniature gamers   tournament players are a very small subset.   

I can tell you (anecdotally)  for AoS in my area I probably have roughly 100 players of whom only 3-5 are willing to go to even local tournaments including the large GT I run which draws people from around the US  and from Canada.   Most of the locals want the game to be 'balanced' so every army is reasonably playable but very few care about or follow the bleeding edge of the meta.  The other games (including miniature games) those same group play may or may not have tournaments but they seem to enjoy.

But people tend to flock together - the non tournament goers tend to hang out with non tournament goers and vice versa for tournament goers.  It shapes our view of what the gaming world looks like.   

I've said before AoS works as a tournament game but it's really not designed as a very tight tournament rules set (i.e. Xwing) it's designed to satisfy all 'three approaches' to the game to some degree or another but isn't perfect from any one of those standpoints.  What's great though is it does do it all to various degrees and I love how GW has tried to keep all three approaches in mind with the GHB's so far.   

This is not my theory, I have heard it elsewhere, but in my mind it does hold water.

Part of the problem with ongoing sales of the old system was the absolutely massive cost in money, time and effort involved in putting a WFB army on the field... some more than others.

I have a Skaven army that I actually have never played, probably 3,000 points or more, and frankly by the time I had it where I wanted it I was sick to death of looking at rats so it has sat for years in cases. I don't even want to think about how many 30-rat clanrat units I've put together for that dumb army... I'd buy a box a week, and I don't have any idea how much it all costs.

Compare that to 40K armies like marines where you can get a couple of squads of guys, a couple of heros, some support and call it good. 

I loved pushing tons of lead out on the table in WFB but a 2500 WFB army, expense wise, is a pretty daunting thing.

You buy a box of miniatures, you paint them up, and then you think "yeah, well, in a couple of years when I get this army finished enough to play it will fun".

AOS, you buy the box set and you can start playing with just the figs in that one box and make a real game out of it. Swap with another person who has the boxed set and get twice as many minies, and you have a good small army to flesh out over time.

Just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, Ken Mitchell said:

Part of the problem with ongoing sales of the old system was the absolutely massive cost in money, time and effort involved in putting a WFB army on the field... some more than others.

No, that's almost all true. Unfortunately there are still a number of "Don't put unpainted models on MY table" people around.

31 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

No, that's almost all true. Unfortunately there are still a number of "Don't put unpainted models on MY table" people around.

I don't play unpainted models myself, but I don't care if my opponent does... I certainly don't care who the manufacturer of the model is either... the only hang-up I have is proxies when the proxies are stupid... for example, some unpainted empire knights proxied for chaos? No worries. It's just when people try to put out either entirely inappropriate models or just bases, that's when I have a problem.

8 minutes ago, Ken Mitchell said:

I don't play unpainted models myself, but I don't care if my opponent does... I certainly don't care who the manufacturer of the model is either... the only hang-up I have is proxies when the proxies are stupid... for example, some unpainted empire knights proxied for chaos? No worries. It's just when people try to put out either entirely inappropriate models or just bases, that's when I have a problem.

My squad of grots all count as Eels. 🤣

Yeah I think lot of the newer guard and the nicer old guard from WFB are much more relaxed about what models look like over some of the THAT guy who also more concerned with rules lawyering and having “proper games” with the “right models”. 

1 hour ago, Ken Mitchell said:

I remember a game in 8th in which my opponent had more unit fillers than models and somewhere inbetween those (3 battering rams, 2xKnights on some mount in an infantry block, some guys carrying a fallen knight) and inbetween, hidden between the battering ram and the peasants carrying the knight corpse was was another mounted knight which, as I attacked it suddenly was proclaimed a hero with item XYZ which saved his unit from annihalation (that guy also looked like the Knichg unit fillers of which another was a row behind him)He was kind of shocked when I told him that deceiving your bevolent opponent like that was the wrong way to play....

back to topic 😁

Archived