New to the AOS need help

Avalibe

Hello I would like to start my story with AOS but I dont know how to start.

1. Should I buy the current starter pack (Strom Strike) or something else or wait for a new one.

2. Where can I explore the lore of the game

3. Are the aos books even worth buying.

4. Where can I buy cheap minatures and which paints should ibuy to paint them.

5. Any good advices on how to start are welcome.

Welcome!

1. Look at GW's website and check out all the armies, see what you like. Most have a start collecting box.

2. Check on YouTube. I like 2+Tough for lore.

3. I have enjoyed them alot, can probably find a thread here about specific books others have liked.

4. There are third party sellers that offer discounts, but cheap is relative lol. Youtube has a ton of videos of paint comparisons, the usuals are Citadel, Vallejo, Reaper, Army Painter, and some others.

5. Picking the army that you think is the 'coolest' is usually going to give you the best experience. Watch lore videos on armies that you think look cool, watch some battle reports on youtube(I like Rerolling Ones).  Maybe look into skirmish, it's a cheap book and some new rules in January's white dwarf sounds like. That way you can plan to build up a small warband first to not get overwhelmed right away. Depending on what army it could be like 5-20 models is all. I'm sure someone else will have some more and better advice for ya.

*just enjoy yourself and don't worry about speeding towards having a huge army super fast. Watch painting tutorials on youtube. Go to your local store and talk to people.

If you're brand new to the hobby, I would indeed start with Storm Strike, a Citadel Essentials set and I highly recomend the magazine too to give you some of the background.

That'll give you all the tools, miniatures and fluff information you need to get started.

Strongly suggest getting into your local GW as well, book a starter session with them to go through the basics, you can even get a free stormcast miniature :)

When it comes to picking an army, yes, discount webstores exist, but you get so much help from your local GW store, it's best to make your first few purchases from them until you know what you're doing.

1 hour ago, rokapoke said:

Figure out where you are going to play. If you plan to play games at a local (non-GW) game store, buy most of your models there, regardless of discounts — it’s better to keep the doors open and tables ready than it is to save a few bucks. 

couldn’t agree more. Support your local game store. I game mostly at a GW store and practically buy everything there or order online and let it ship to the local GW.

Archived