Faction predictions for 2019.

Honestly, I don't see a big Slaanesh realease to be so certain.

They have given Slaanesh an actual A4 side, where there was the summonable units  and the army traits.
I'd suggest, that's it for that.

Destruction deserves at least the Gitz Battletome, but Greenskins would deserve one too, IMO.
There are still some factions, that became total lackluster at the moment, that don't even have a Battletome right now.

Stormcast release...has been kind of every year, will happen this season, too.

What I really hope, is that GW will show up some consistency and review the older Battletome, and create Battletome, where there are none.

Other that these little points, I really don't see so many hints, of what they will release.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carnivore said:

Honestly, I don't see a big Slaanesh realease to be so certain.

They have given Slaanesh an actual A4 side, where there was the summonable units  and the army traits.
I'd suggest, that's it for that.

GW need at least to add some daemons to fill at least those, no tome, basic rules

But what I imagine in the near future is a new human faction for slaanesh vs new aelves as expanction box 😏

With new tomes

BCR need to lean more into the ice theme, and lean away from generic ogres IMHO.

For example, it would be bad-ass if BCR got some kind of glacier terrain piece that can move around the table and some icy Endless Spells.

Beyond that, it's the usual Big 3 that most people list:

(1) Allegiance Ability to capture objectives - e.g. Multiply model count by three or four, or just use starting/remaining Wounds.

(2) Magic - e.g. Change Huskard warscrolls to make them casters.

(3) Plastic sculpts - Cats, Yhetees and Icebrow Hunter. A Frostlord on a Mournfang would be cool too - especially for 1000-point games.

Furthermore, it would be nice for Skal to be a better version of its current iteration. A cat factory, basically.

Finally, it's time to re-think the Dirty Snowball. At the moment, it manages to somehow be over-powered, and yet over-costed.

Gut instinct says we'll see

Slaanesh

Some kind of Aelf (Hysh flying aelves or Uglu shadow using aelves)

Darkoath

Soulblight Pirates (given the popularity of the Total War add-on)

Free People I think need new models, to better fit the dystopian fantasy themes portrayed. Think a cross betweeen House Delaque and the old Empire Militia kits. However, due to this, I don't think we'll see them till 2020

We might see one or two older factions revistited, but many of them are tough to place

Scourge Privateers are clearly a favourite in the office of the fluff team, but they're tough to expand without new models, so again 2020 seems likely

Darkoath seems like a guarantee, they would have all been sculpted the same time as that warqueen model. The same way the whole moonclan line was sculpted alongside the fungoid shaman. 

A larger Slaanesh release later on seems likely, with the seekers and stuff being released separately from that boxed set. 

Personally though I want to see Malerions supposedly dark and majestic beings, or something fresh like that. Plus Seraphon getting revamped would be nice, a plastic slaan, salamander, and even the standard saurus and skink kits are starting to show their age...those kits haven't aged as well as moonclan grots or empire state troops.

As much as I would like to see Old World race-specific armies, especially one that expands Duardin with more units with the very awesome Ironbreakers/Longbeards sculpting style, I actually wouldn't mind GW going out on a limb and in the style of "new" armies like Deepkin, they blend the humans and standard Duardin into one alliance, with the special addition of foot troops for the humans having a new style all their own that is not based on Gothic Europe.

Essentially Battletome: Ironweld Alliance, where Humans and Dwarves from Azyrheim share more of a common look from dwelling for so long together as they go out to resettle the realms in the aftermath of the Realmgate Wars.  Human knights charging below Gyrocopters, but without it looking like two very separate armies are just being fielded on the same side.

4 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

BCR need to lean more into the ice theme, and lean away from generic ogres IMHO.

For example, it would be bad-ass if BCR got some kind of glacier terrain piece that can move around the table and some icy Endless Spells.

Beyond that, it's the usual Big 3 that most people list:

(1) Allegiance Ability to capture objectives - e.g. Multiply model count by three or four, or just use starting/remaining Wounds.

(2) Magic - e.g. Change Huskard warscrolls to make them casters.

(3) Plastic sculpts - Cats, Yhetees and Icebrow Hunter. A Frostlord on a Mournfang would be cool too - especially for 1000-point games.

Furthermore, it would be nice for Skal to be a better version of its current iteration. A cat factory, basically.

Finally, it's time to re-think the Dirty Snowball. At the moment, it manages to somehow be over-powered, and yet over-costed.

I want to see ogre on a giant roc that breath ice down from above. How cool would that look? 

I'm not convinced that Gutbusters are going to be coming soon. I applied for a GW game designer job earlier in the year (didn't get it, but did get an interview). The assessment exercise involved designing a set of allegiance abilities for the Gutbusters, and the interview largely involved discussing the rules, and the game design philosophy behind them.

It was strongly implied that it wasn't a faction which they were actively working on, and I got the impression that it wouldn't be coming for a while, or didn't presently have a direction. I didn't get the impression that they were hiring someone with that faction in mind per se, but it wouldn't surprise me if its a bit further ahead than some people are hoping.

Its hard to be sure though, clearly they weren't blabbing secrets about the upcoming schedule to all their candidates, and could have been dissembling so that people like me wouldn't immediately run to the net and say "Ogres are coming!" If anyone else on here applied it would be interesting to know whether everyone got the same faction for the assessment, or whether each candidate was given a different one.

27 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

I'm not convinced that Gutbusters are going to be coming soon. I applied for a GW game designer job earlier in the year (didn't get it, but did get an interview). The assessment exercise involved designing a set of allegiance abilities for the Gutbusters, and the interview largely involved discussing the rules, and the game design philosophy behind them.

It was strongly implied that it wasn't a faction which they were actively working on, and I got the impression that it wouldn't be coming for a while, or didn't presently have a direction. I didn't get the impression that they were hiring someone with that faction in mind per se, but it wouldn't surprise me if its a bit further ahead than some people are hoping.

Its hard to be sure though, clearly they weren't blabbing secrets about the upcoming schedule to all their candidates, and could have been dissembling so that people like me wouldn't immediately run to the net and say "Ogres are coming!" .

I don’t know Gw  can be more cunning and deceiving than most people think😂

This borders on wish-listing but I feel an Everchosen/StD/Darkoath mashup is a given.

Probably after the GHB2019 or Q3/Q4.

I just highly doubt Darkoath will get their very own book as there is not much about them (naked guys with axes, naked guys with spears, naked guys with bows, naked guys on top naked animal... maybe a priest/shaman character and that's about it).

On the other hand, they would be perfect to replace* the current marauder range and they've made some appearances in books/stories alongside other chaos factions. Not to mention that the currently available Darkoath models have the StD keyword.

Furthermore, Everchosen and StD are in dire need of an rules update. Considering GWs current trend to group together similar factions... they would pretty much solve 3+ problems at the same time. Give one of the first AoS models (Archaon) his army, release a new range of models without having to make sure that they are self-sustaining and breath new live into models that still work aesthetically.

* I am aware that GW hasn't really replaced models, but they have to do it at some point. One likely approach would be retiring the warscrolls to the Legacy sections.

Don’t Know what will be released this year (bar Grots and Darkoath, I think) I’d like to think we see the other elves get fleshed put, the light elves of Tyrion and Teclis, the Shadow elves of Malerion and I’d quite Like to see Wood Elves either join Sylvaneth or get turned into a faction of beast handlers and were kin.

Free peoples, disspossed, Dark and Light Elves all need some AoS attention as either a rehaul like Gloomspite or a sort of soup book like Beasts. I’d say Slaanesh too due to all the rumour engines, but I just don’t know.

It is still possible that the Wanderers will come back this year, either as a part of an Aelves Battletome, or as a little faction of its own. The Beasts of Chaos are the natural enemies of the Wanderers and Kurnoth, the God of the Wild Hunt (and counterpart of Alarielle) is still missing (to my knowledge). The Wanderers could shift towards a Wild Rider-looking army, with an avatar of Kurnoth release and Wyldwood Ranger-like or fast cavalry releases. I'm still hoping for that.

I hope not I think that bloating AoS wih Aelves factions is kind of bad idea. Sure we should get Tyrion&Teclis and Malerion faction and maybe unified Aelves Battletome and that's it I would love Deepkins to be more flashed out then Wanderers. 

Also I think GW should release all Battletomes for now and then revisit older factions like KO, Fyreslayers, Sylvaneth, Ironjawz, BCR 

What are we missing which is obvious ? 

- 2 Aelves factions 

- some kind of Skaven - unified or particular clan 

- Slaanesh 

- Darkoath (which good be good plac to revisit Everchosen/Slaves do Darkness) 

- some kind of Free Cities 

I would love GW to release those and then revisit older factions with new minis, and then between revisiting those older factions release new faction here or there. I think that they can advance the storyline and fold Wanderers into Sylvaneth - easy to expand Sylvaneth army without anything drastic release that + one new hero + endless spells. 

Take Faction like KO or Deepkin with their style and how unique they are they can really come up with amazing new models and ideas nd I'd raer hae that then Aelves Battletome - I'd love to have them expanded. 

Destruction would also get some love in that regard as Gloomspite Gitz amazing release then rework of Ironjawz and BCR. 

I just hope AoS won't be bloated with countless factions. 

15 hours ago, Mungrun said:

I'm curious, do you think that Kharadron Overlords need an update more than Fyreslayers? i'm not complaining don't get me wrong.

Fyreslayers need an expanded model range with more options than 3 battleline and heroes.

Kharadron need a complete rules overhaul.  The book was completely unplayable as written 3 months after it came out due to the erratas/faq/typos.

Tzeentch is in a similar spot with needing a rules rewrite.

My predictions/desires:

1) No revised Battletomes are released for any existing factions. 

2) Fyreslayers wave two release adding a new beasty and a few new troop kits (likely duel) to expand their range. 

3) Skaven get a combined Battletome similar to how Grots are getting right now. This would be the only revised Gen 1 Battletome as Pestilens gets rolled into this new combined tome. 

4) NO Stormcast releases besides one or two heroes. Seriously no more SC! (I don't hate stormcast in the least, but darn it when you've got 1 faction that has more model variety than some grand alliances you need to pause and give other armies a chance to diversify and catch up)

5) Daughters of Khaine Wave 2 release - featuring Endless spells, getting started boxed set, cheaper witches and a few new models. 

6) Idoneth Getting Started boxed set. 

7) Free Peoples Battletome release.

8 "Not Brets" release featuring a new, second, human faction that focuses on the use of mythical cavalry and rank and file infantry. 

9) Forgeworld releases AoS models and revised rules in their existing releases as well as revision to what alliances and armies can take existing models. 

10) At least one if not two new Aelf armies released. 

Honestly my one big hope is that by the end of 2019 we can see the bulk of armies with Battletomes

2 hours ago, Overread said:

4) NO Stormcast releases besides one or two heroes. Seriously no more SC! (I don't hate stormcast in the least, but darn it when you've got 1 faction that has more model variety than some grand alliances you need to pause and give other armies a chance to diversify and catch up)

Yes. Definitely no more stormcast.

or at least 1more chamber that looks after Sigmars rampaging buttonpressing.

(a chamber that doesn’t get any models but is only relevant in the lore for keeping Sigmar from that button)

Fyreslayers really do need something other than three battleline troop selections that look nearly identical from afar.  Something that says high fantasy magic, like stone golems, or rune-bound fire elementals, in the gap between foot soldiers and magmadroth.  Runewars has a character on a rune golem that is a four-legged mount, it would be something interesting if Fyreslayers were the only Duardin with cavalry.

As we're wishlisting, here's mine:

Redo battletomes and minimal model updates for the more dated battletomes (Ironjaws and Bonesplittaz, Kharadron Overlords and Fyreslayers, Khorne, Skaven)
By minimal models, I mean endless spells, maybe a terrain piece, maybe a kit or two, a bit like Beasts of chaos release.
I suspect that Darkoath is Slaves to darkness is Everchosen ; a battletome that allows generic chaos and specific god based bataillons.

It's pretty certain that we're getting Darkoath and Slaanesh this year.

Archived