Faction predictions for 2019.

2 hours ago, Minis by Night said:

I predict... no new Stormcast for a year or two! At least no new chambers, maybe just a hero or two. They've just got a new multi-factions Battletome and they have their Endless Spells. I think even GW get that although yes, they sell, adding more is just diluting the already largest faction, and they're aware that of the general Stormcast fatigue.

Slaanesh is likely, but maybe not as soon as some people think.

I predict a box of the old classic Skaven vs Dwarves. GW clearly showed in the last 6 months that they love dual army boxes. Both of those factions are in serious need for both a battletome and some model update.

Free Cities... some of it will probably be rolled into a new faction (or two). I don't see them just using the faction as-is, it completely lacks any AoS flavour. Same goes for Aelves. Although I think that light and shadow aelves are wishful thinking, there's been nothing concrete about them other than they might mesh well with a Slaanesh release. I'm sure they'll come eventually, just not this year.

Darkoath will probably just be a part of the new Everchosen faction, I don't think they'll get a full battletome to themselves.

Seraphon, Fyreslayers, Kharadron and Ironjaws will probably get the "battletome, endless spells and terrain piece", with maybe a 2-3 new models. Expect more dual army boxes here. Sylvaneth and Flesh-Eaters might have to wait until next year.

Beastclaw Raiders might be bundled in a general Ogors batttletome. And Pestilence in Skaven(LoN style).

Death in general is in a great place, all the factions are viable, don't expect them to get anything for a year or two.

That would bring us to an almost completely viable range in AoS by 2020.

All of that need to be mitigated with the 40k releases, but I don't think there's all that much coming for 40k in the upcoming year. Genestealer is one of the last codex missing, and they have new models. Noise Marines are a possibility, and so are Chaos Space Marine. Sisters of Battle probably toward the end of the year.

Beastclaw Raiders have too cool a theme to be shunted back into the main book now. I would much prefer to see the wintery faction fleshed out with even more cool winter beasts and possibly their own ogre troops of some sort. As for Endless Spells and dwarven factions? How it makes no sense since they don't make use of magic. That's my only complaint about your post. Hence why when they do get updated I think they'll probably get more units and units that can buff than other factions because they need them. I think both Fyre and Kharadron could both use a big update with lots of new units in place of endless spells. Also how do you do terrain for the Overlords it makes no sense since they are in the sky. What like a refuling station or something? Even then its kinda weird since it would be so high up and not on dangerous terrain to be fought over. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

I'm predicting 3 major model reeleases:

Grots

Darkoath

Stormcast War engines/artillery

Some "Wave 2" model/battleline releases for previous popular AoS lines:

Ironjawz

Sylvaneth

Some battletome and spells only releases for:

Skaven 

Ogors

Seraphon

Seems quite likely, although I do think Slannesh will get a full release also. Just makes sense due to the movement of 40k Slannesh and the wrath n rapture release. 

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

I'm predicting 3 major model reeleases:

Grots

Darkoath

Stormcast War engines/artillery

Some "Wave 2" model/battleline releases for previous popular AoS lines:

Ironjawz

Sylvaneth

Some battletome and spells only releases for:

Skaven 

Ogors

Seraphon

Well if we are lucky Gw will bring out a good lucking unit of gutter and night runners.

its a bit sad to see that there are still some monkey mutated rats out there.

2 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Seems quite likely, although I do think Slannesh will get a full release also. Just makes sense due to the movement of 40k Slannesh and the wrath n rapture release. 

Yeah that's not a bad call... My feeling is Slaanesh is too big for this year but that a campaign like Malign Portents will tide Slaanesh over into 2019. But hey, I know nothing! 

I could see Ironjaws getting a new update, they are quite dated now and have such a small unit count that they get quite repetitive to play! I think they would get a Megaboss on Grunta, a bigger brute unit with shields and hammers (i think i read in one of the realmgate war books there were brutes like that...?), a brute unit with huge crossbows, a beserker style brute unit with less armoured, a more crazed look in their eyes and armed with some type of jagged scrap lightning claw type weapons! an armoured grot/gnoblar unit that can be used as some sort of living shield for the brutes, another named megaboss to rival Gordrakk, a battle standard bearer style boss who increases the bravery of brutes (why do they have such bad bravery....), mawcrusha cav! in units of 2 riding smaller sized mawcrushas, have a worse temper than the older ones and have yet to develop wings! Kind of like gore beasts in a way, a big Waaagh! totem terrain piece of some kind, with piles of weapons, shields, armour and maybe another shaman of some sort on a wyvern or smaller mawcrusha.

As much as I dearly want to see Skryre get fleshed out, the more I think about it, the less likely it seems as there's too much baggage from old models. At best they'll get folded into a grand Skaven book, because replacing all their metal models would be an entire new range by itself.

Eshin, on the other hand, has a single box and a couple of old character sculpts plus that sexy Deathrunner from Silver Tower, and they were something of a focus during Malign Portents, if that counts for anything. They're a much more viable candidate for a Skaven standalone faction, though it hurt-pains me to say as much.

I think Slaanesh is long way to come, sure they can release it faster but I think that lorewise it would make sense to release it with Aelves. I think we might get 40k Slaanesh vs Ynnari late 2019 and then AoS Slaanesh followed by Shadowkin or/and Hysh Aelves. 

11 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’m starting to feel that skaven are playing a bigger role in the whole age of Sigmar timeline.

they haven’t showed themselves too much outside, in the story’s etc.

I’m predicting that skaven are meant to play a much bigger role, which could mean that they may get a mixed battletome lon style, but with a Gloomspite Gitz kind of release and a possible campaign determining if the realms will be overrun by vermin

Yes-yes

I think this will happen, but I feel that Skaven (along with Night Goblins) are such an iconic part of Warhammer and one of the things truly unique to the IP compared to the rest of Fantasy settings.  Ratmen are almost as common as goblins, but the Skaven are a version that you just don't see anywhere else in fantasy.

The Skaven range is sort of all over the place with some good modern kits, tons of resin to phase out, some really old kits, and large holes in the product lines for the various Clans (which generally have their own very unique aesthetics).  To me the Skaven feel like an army that GW will not want to simply handle with a Beasts of Chaos book and a couple of model kits.  I think this is a range that GW will want to really want to lean hard into for Age of Sigmar and that means a big-splash release like Gloomspite Gitz.  

But I am not sure they will have the room for a big release like that this year.  They have telegraphed Slaanesh for a while now, and I am willing to bet that will be a pretty large release.  I don't think they need a huge release for Slaanesh Demons, but I am willing to bet they will make a mortal army and that is almost a full new line.  There is also 40k to consider and I would not at all be surprised to see them release an Emperor's Children army at roughly the same time.   It is also almost certain that DarkOath will be something released this year and I expect that will probably not be a mini-release.  Then you expect that Genestealer Cult will get a release for 40k and you are starting to fill out most of the big release windows for the year.  We should also expect a few mini-releases or book-only releases and there seems better candidates for those.

My suspicion is that Skaven may get the 2020 january big-splash treatment.

I don't suspect we'll see anything for Skaven short of GW swinging for the fences with one specific Clan. From what I suspect - with the all-star unit that is Storm Fiends, their popularity at tournaments, and how iconic and unique the Skaven technology is to Age of Sigmar (much less the only Chaos faction that actually has awesome shooting) - Clans Skryre would make for a really solid standalone Battletome.

But it's a lot of plastic to update.

Plastic Arch-Warlocks, Plastic Warplock Engineer, Revised Stormfiends on rounds, Plastic Skryre Weapon Team (Warp Grinder/Warpfire Thrower/Rating Gun/Poison Wind Mortar), Plastic Jezzails, Plastic Acolyte/New unit. And that's just updating their range.

2 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well let’s hope so.

Even the skaven race can get a bit impassioned, when waiting to long.

and we are masters in waiting and plotting our next moves.

Waiting sucks - I know.

I waited a couple decades for an all ghost/wraith army (what I wanted to originally play in the 90s) and for a full goblin army (never actually thought it would happen).  But, for me the AoS team has reliably proven that they are more than capable of delivering really awesome stuff and the payoff is worth the wait.

I just hope that Skaven truly get the full release that they deserve.  That army is just overflowing with awesome concepts for Age of Sigmar and it would be a real shame for GW not to go all-in on them.

4 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

I don't suspect we'll see anything for Skaven short of GW swinging for the fences with one specific Clan. From what I suspect - with the all-star unit that is Storm Fiends, their popularity at tournaments, and how iconic and unique the Skaven technology is to Age of Sigmar (much less the only Chaos faction that actually has awesome shooting) - Clans Skryre would make for a really solid standalone Battletome.

But it's a lot of plastic to update.

Plastic Arch-Warlocks, Plastic Warplock Engineer, Revised Stormfiends on rounds, Plastic Skryre Weapon Team (Warp Grinder/Warpfire Thrower/Rating Gun/Poison Wind Mortar), Plastic Jezzails, Plastic Acolyte/New unit. And that's just updating their range.

I agree.

Skaven really seem like the best avenue for GW to make a mad-scientist steampunk faction to offset the Kharadron Overlords.  They could do some really wacky stuff if they put their minds to it and it would be glorious.  But, they could also do really cool stuff with any of the clans if they wanted to.  The skaven have some really strong themes all throughout.

21 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I agree.

Skaven really seem like the best avenue for GW to make a mad-scientist steampunk faction to offset the Kharadron Overlords.  They could do some really wacky stuff if they put their minds to it and it would be glorious.  But, they could also do really cool stuff with any of the clans if they wanted to.  The skaven have some really strong themes all throughout.

Yes.

from a point of how the wrote the small malign sorcery story’s, it looks like their plan is to combine the the greater clans back together.

this would also give a purpose of existence for the Masterclans.

also I think there’s a reason why the thanqouls model is still out there.

I have a feeling we might start Hearing more and more of him soon, yes-yes my pet-thing will scurry soon.

7 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yes.

from a point of how the wrote the small malign sorcery story’s, it looks like their plan is to combine the the greater clans back together.

this would also give a purpose of existence for the Masterclans.

also I think there’s a reason why the thanqouls model is still out there.

I have a feeling we might start Hearing more and more of him soon, yes-yes my pet-thing will scurry soon.

I certainly wouldn't complain if they got merged - Skaven are one of Warhammer a most important races, they've been neglected for a long time. But I feel like if they get merged, that's kind of it. They won't get the treatment they deserve with unique units and abilities.

I think we would probably see something like: Children of the Horned Rat - contains all units/models but no rules for Pestilens and Skryre. Then we get an updated Skryre / Pestilens further out the same way we got Legions of Nagash and Nighthaunt. 

38 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

I certainly wouldn't complain if they got merged - Skaven are one of Warhammer a most important races, they've been neglected for a long time. But I feel like if they get merged, that's kind of it. They won't get the treatment they deserve with unique units and abilities.

I think we would probably see something like: Children of the Horned Rat - contains all units/models but no rules for Pestilens and Skryre. Then we get an updated Skryre / Pestilens further out the same way we got Legions of Nagash and Nighthaunt. 

Who knows let’s see and wait.

edit: well hoping anyways that the clan verminus will be added to every great clan.

They just seem to fit so well in this clans. (With the exception of clan Eshin) 

12 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

I disagree.  The same argument could have been made (and was by some - including me) for Moonclan & Spiderfang grots.  GW seems to have done a great job expanding the lines while also incorporating them all together.  I think they can do the same for Skaven.

If we take the Master Clan out of the discussion, as they are just a place to lump heroes & wizards, then what you have is the 4 main clans.  My guess is that they would make new clanrat/slaves as a clan-agnostic generic kit that you can use to bulk out any Skaven army (as they always have been).   From there they would probably build the force with 2 of the main clans taking the main stage and the other 2 being more as support but a playable niche (like Thunderscorn are in Beasts of Chaos for example).

I would predict that the 2 featured clans would be Pestilens and Skryre.  Pestilens already has a full book and they don't need too many updated/new kits.  Skryre is mainly just crazy weapons, but it leans into the current Thanquol model and it gives GW a license to go bonkers on the mad-scientist steampunk theme which seems like the logical theme to really dial up for Skaven in AoS.  From there Eshin plays the scouting/assassins support role they always have and they can fit Moulder in to provide the frankenstein monster & genetic manipulation creations that also lean into the mad scientist theme.  That support role is already the direction they had been moving with Moulder anyways with the Hellpit Abomination, new Boneripper, Stormfiends, etc.  

That seems like a pretty big army that would have a lot of potential to build and explore the themes while still remaining a big force like Gloomspite Gitz.  I am certain that GW would end up being more creative than just what I listed in the end, but I think just that template would be quite doable and could service the Skaven well.  I don't see GW making a full book for every skaven clan because Chaos is already quite a sizable grand alliance.  Skaven are now 1/5 of the Grand Alliance and a full model range and battletome for each clan would put them at almost 50% of Chaos.  I just don't see that happening.  I think Skaven would end up as a single big-tent style faction.

36 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I disagree.  The same argument could have been made (and was by some - including me) for Moonclan & Spiderfang grots.  GW seems to have done a great job expanding the lines while also incorporating them all together.  I think they can do the same for Skaven.

If we take the Master Clan out of the discussion, as they are just a place to lump heroes & wizards, then what you have is the 4 main clans.  My guess is that they would make new clanrat/slaves as a clan-agnostic generic kit that you can use to bulk out any Skaven army (as they always have been).   From there they would probably build the force with 2 of the main clans taking the main stage and the other 2 being more as support but a playable niche (like Thunderscorn are in Beasts of Chaos for example).

I would predict that the 2 featured clans would be Pestilens and Skryre.  Pestilens already has a full book and they don't need too many updated/new kits.  Skryre is mainly just crazy weapons, but it leans into the current Thanquol model and it gives GW a license to go bonkers on the mad-scientist steampunk theme which seems like the logical theme to really dial up for Skaven in AoS.  From there Eshin plays the scouting/assassins support role they always have and they can fit Moulder in to provide the frankenstein monster & genetic manipulation creations that also lean into the mad scientist theme.  That support role is already the direction they had been moving with Moulder anyways with the Hellpit Abomination, new Boneripper, Stormfiends, etc.  

That seems like a pretty big army that would have a lot of potential to build and explore the themes while still remaining a big force like Gloomspite Gitz.  I am certain that GW would end up being more creative than just what I listed in the end, but I think just that template would be quite doable and could service the Skaven well.  I don't see GW making a full book for every skaven clan because Chaos is already quite a sizable grand alliance.  Skaven are now 1/5 of the Grand Alliance and a full model range and battletome for each clan would put them at almost 50% of Chaos.  I just don't see that happening.  I think Skaven would end up as a single big-tent style faction.

Yes not even I could have said it better.

thankyou skabnoze

edit: skaven were something unic, able to field thousands of meathsields and support this with more horrendous warpstone-technologie and horrible to look at Frankenstein monsters, they had something that no other army was able to represent.

This unicness in play style and fluff is something no army could ever achieve. And it’s also something that lets skaven appear as a huge thread.

Ripping them apart was something that broke the hearts of many skavenplayers, and even today this army seems to be missing something.

The unicness they ones had is gone, beeing restricted to a grand allegiance which doesn’t fit them at all and only allows you to field clanrats as battleline,is horrendously nerve-racking.

putting them all back together in some sort of way, would finally put them where the were standing ones.

A force that can truly be seen as a tremendous thread to the world.

And reading everything I could find about the skaven race in aos, especially the malign sorcery short story’s it seems, Gw noticed the lack in unicness the skaven had missing by ripping them apart.

Also like Skanbnoze said, there’s nothing to fear the skaven have a huge role in the now existing game, and even if they all emerge back together, the possibility of them getting new models is high. And I’m not talking about only endless spells.

look at the great looking Gloomspite Gitz.

These army is a mixture of almost every Grot  troggoth and giant-thing faction out there (or better said Moonclan and Spiderfang if we look at the grots faction)

more than halve of their model range seems to get an update, 

And even more models are beeing added.

So a remix of the skavenforces, would be a great thing to happen.

we really don’t have to worry about anything  (maybe with the exception of beeing forgotten and not receiving anything at the end very very unlikely)

On 12/27/2018 at 9:14 PM, Barbossal said:

I am so excited for 2019. If I had to lay out a few predictions:

Gloomspite Gits (New): already confirmed. Merging Moonclan, Spiderfang, and Troggoths.

Hosts of Slaanesh (Expanded): All but confirmed with new units.

Seraphon (Revised): New Battletome and a few new models. Probably a plastic Slann, Salamander/Razordons kit, and Endless Spells.

Sylvaneth (Revised): Similar to Seraphon, new book, endless spells. Probably at least one new unit dual build kit.

Kharadron Overlords (Revised): The rumoured wave two of minis. Almost twice the range of units with a new codex. 

Darkoath Warbands (New): New units and book and folding in units from Everchosen and Slaves to Darkness.

Free Cities (New): This is my least certain but a book to rework the Firestorm allegiances and formalize a system of taking Mixed Order factions. This would be sort of like Legions of Nagash with different city allegiances. Combining legacy armies that won't end up being their own thing. Like Free People's, Ironweld, Dispossessed, Wanderers, Seifthawk, Darkling.

I'd rather not see a free cities battletome. I feel this would be a disservice to some of the legacy factions that have potential.  

I've seen some people on Reddit noting that the Gitmob Grots have apparently been excluded from the Gloomspite Gitz, and one user in particular thinking that the Gitmob may combine with the Greenskinz faction. I was initially opposed to the idea, but all signs do indeed point to Gitmob not being in Gloomspite Gitz... so there seems to be alternate plans for them, or at least no plans for them in the Gloomspite faction.

Think there might be potential of Gitmob and Greenskinz joining with the Ironjawz into a larger, more tactically diverse faction of non-shroomy, non-ogor Destruction?

Darkoath merging with Everchosen seems likely, given the current layout of the e-store.

Skaven reunification, please! Having battleline restrictions based on general is one thing; splitting up everyone into their own factions is another.

I will honestly be surprised if Stormcast do not get another chamber opened by the end of the year. I mean, they still have a bunch of unopened chambers confirmed to exist, and we still don't know squat about the upper echelons of their command structure. Just saying, Vandus Hammerhand isn't the Calgar of the Hammers of Sigmar - he's the Sicarius, the ace captain, not the absolute leader of the entire host.

The release of Slaanesh is probably going to happen sooner or later, and when the Dark Prince does indeed return, I foresee two things: A) a big expansion to the Hosts of Slaanesh, filling it out with more human followers and a couple more daemons; and B) Malerion and Tyrion / Teclis rallying their forces into the (dominantly aelvan) armies of Ulgu and Hysh respectively... and in doing so, A) finally giving us proper insight into those particular realms, and B) providing a proper home for the Mistweaver Saih and Tenebral Shard minis from the Silver Tower set.

Everyone forgetting poor Flesh eater courts...

BTW I read somewhere that we will see New goblins, then revised battletomes, then darkoath (together with slaves and everchosen) and slaanesh.
Don't quote me on that, be careful, just rumors (although coming from the guy that predicted Christmas battleforces)

-slaanesh

-darkoath/slaves/everchosen (the last of the 4 malign portents minis to have a new faction to be in) 

-skaven (had part into the necroquake and still need a tome since years-yes) in 2020 as fifth God rewamp

-dwarves (fyreslayers/kharadrons/disposes.) 

-ogors (normal ogors/beastclaw/new sun eaters as microfaction) 

-aelves (old and new dark and light aelves) 

-orks tome

-vampires 😏

I'll throw my predictions in here then: 
- Gloomspite Gitz (easiest one)
- Slaanesh
- Darkoath (possible fusion with Slaves to Darkness and everchosen)
- Ironjawz expansion. 
- Sylvaneth expansion. 
- Freeguild near the very end of the year. 

On 12/28/2018 at 2:06 AM, Aden said:

Free Peoples get updated with a steampunk and or alchemical bent having lived closely with the Duardin and Aelves for so long. Keep the feathers and pantaloons but add drill spears, acid shooters, clock bombs, plague doctors with hang glider capes, potions everywhere, and chimeric transformations -- werewolves with feather caps and muskets would scratch an itch...

I would love to see a free peoples upgrade. They could go to town with the possibilities. Endless. There is no need to resurrect the past units (although they can be incorporated completely) GW can AoS them all they want and with mix them with high elf, dwarvin units as a nod to the past and a free peoples look to the future. I think @Aden is on the right path 

Archived