Faction predictions for 2019.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could also pinpoint that those are 2 battletome only, 2 new range releases and 3 expanded armies. So for this year we could think we would get new armies in a similar fashion. 

I'm not sure to put Hyish Aelfs on "new range" like Idoneth or "expanded" like DoK, but pretty sure we'll see some aelfs this year

7 minutes ago, Gotz said:

We could also pinpoint that those are 2 battletome only, 2 new range releases and 3 expanded armies. So for this year we could think we would get new armies in a similar fashion. 

I'm not sure to put Hyish Aelfs on "new range" like Idoneth or "expanded" like DoK, but pretty sure we'll see some aelfs this year

Quite a good spread between old factions being pulled together/updated and brand new releases 👍🏻

I think old school aelves would get more of a Boc kinda treatment than being incorporated into teclis/Tyrion’s aelves though. 

It’s probably likely that stormcast will get something, which could mean it’s just 4 additionals. 

I’m thinking it could be Skaven with a Boc style book, ironjaws n Sylvaneth updates, and possibly a brand new aelven faction. But who knows

Edit: just watched the VV warhammer weekly video and it’s seems I’m not alone in these suspicions. Time will tell. 

Lets see... my wild speculation is...

- Slaanesh, obviously. Big Release.
- Reforging of Chaos Undivided headed by Archaon. All the major gods have their releases, so now comes the Undivided Hordes. This will be the darkoath release, with the them filling the role of marauders as those kits are retired. Chaos warriors are iconic, and despite the plastic sets still being serviceable, I think we will see a new release for the tall,  spiky, dark and brooding. Big Release.

- Updated Codex's for Fyreslayers and Kharadron Overlords. Perhaps with a new kit each (maybe 2 in Fyreslayer's case) and endless spells. Model lite releases, mirroring BoC.

- Skaven Hordes tome. Doubt will see many models, perhaps some spells. But a LoN style book to catapult the rat men into being a proper army.  Though sadly will have little in the way of new models. A box of spells.

-Stormcast heros/ Terrain. No new armies. No new chambers. Calling it now! Faction is saturated right now, I could see taking a year before more Stormboys come tumbling down the pipe.  Hero's and Terrain to keep them relevent/ provide new spins for their already substantial catalog.

- Ogor/ Gutbuster Tome. No new models, save for a box of endless spells. Maybe a terrain piece since those seem to be all the rage.
- Elf rumors for 2020. Not an army here, but I think will see breadcrumbs pointing towards the shadow and light elves for next year.

Three big releases in Gloomspite, Slaanesh, and Darkoath/ Everchosen. Minor releases in updating old tomes. Ogor and Skaven being the non-tome armies to get a battletome of their very own.

In order of probability:

Gloomspite obvs

Darkoath

Redux of a few of the earliest unique factions, Skaven, KO and Ironjawz most likely

New Stormcast Chamber

Really think you’re down a blind alley with Slaanesh. Too early.  They’re not going to release two big new factions in Gloomspite and Darkoath and then risk them being overshadowed a quarter later with a long awaited member of the pantheon.

They’re going to let the Soul Wars saga breathe and continue to populate the realms with unique factions and better realise the existing ones  for another year. Then it will be Slaanesh and the Ulgu folks.

With the release of Gloomspite I’m also firmly convinced that the old Free People’s instead of Empire motif is done. Not to say they won’t exist anymore but they won’t get a LON book to allow them to be used as they are just now I don’t think. GW are going to be revamping everything from now on. Going to be unique IP stuff all the way. Generic looking men in period uniform ain’t going to make the cut.

I would think seraphon get a new battletome before or at least at same time as fyreslayers, ko, or ironjawz.  KO  isnt even 2 years old!   Seraphon has 3 and 4 spell wizards without any spell lore. Many of the warscrolls//batallions very wrong in the current tome, probably the most useless tome out there.  Even the fluff has been retconned as they are not all pure stardust anymore... 

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

I would think seraphon get a new battletome before or at least at same time as fyreslayers, ko, or ironjawz.  KO  isnt even 2 years old!   Seraphon has 3 and 4 spell wizards without any spell lore. Many of the warscrolls//batallions very wrong in the current tome, probably the most useless tome out there.  Even the fluff has been retconned as they are not all pure stardust anymore... 

Kharadron’s are an AoS specific army and should get preferential treatment because they are newer and less fleshed out. All AoS specific armies should take priority to make the setting as distinct as possible. Right now ko are terrible rules wise and even models wise quite pidgeonhold  into being played a single way.  No simple rules update can save us we need a complete revamp. AoS is moving forward not backwards.

I am so excited for 2019. If I had to lay out a few predictions:

Gloomspite Gits (New): already confirmed. Merging Moonclan, Spiderfang, and Troggoths.

Hosts of Slaanesh (Expanded): All but confirmed with new units.

Seraphon (Revised): New Battletome and a few new models. Probably a plastic Slann, Salamander/Razordons kit, and Endless Spells.

Sylvaneth (Revised): Similar to Seraphon, new book, endless spells. Probably at least one new unit dual build kit.

Kharadron Overlords (Revised): The rumoured wave two of minis. Almost twice the range of units with a new codex. 

Darkoath Warbands (New): New units and book and folding in units from Everchosen and Slaves to Darkness.

Free Cities (New): This is my least certain but a book to rework the Firestorm allegiances and formalize a system of taking Mixed Order factions. This would be sort of like Legions of Nagash with different city allegiances. Combining legacy armies that won't end up being their own thing. Like Free People's, Ironweld, Dispossessed, Wanderers, Seifthawk, Darkling.

10 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Don’t tease me about wave 2 ko I would buy it all GW lol. 

It's more plausible than you think! There were rumours floating around ever since they came out that GW is working on a second wave the same way they developed Stormcast Vanguard after the original waves 

After Gloomspite, I expect the Troggoth and Sylvaneth warbands released. Shortly after, I expect a new Sylvaneth battletome and at least endless spells. 

I think then will be a major Darkoath release. 

I'd then expect one of Fyreslayers, Seraphon, or Ironjawz to get updated. Maybe all of them. 

I also think Skaven, KO, and a new Stormcast Chamber are likely before the release of Slaanesh and the campaign and new armies that will come with that. 

I think that we will see GW figure out a way to add endless spells to some of the factions that are missing them but may not need a full book - such as Idoneth, Daughters of Khaine, Legions of Nagash, etc.  Maybe a campaign book like Malign Portents that features a few specific factions.

I predict... no new Stormcast for a year or two! At least no new chambers, maybe just a hero or two. They've just got a new multi-factions Battletome and they have their Endless Spells. I think even GW get that although yes, they sell, adding more is just diluting the already largest faction, and they're aware that of the general Stormcast fatigue.

Slaanesh is likely, but maybe not as soon as some people think.

I predict a box of the old classic Skaven vs Dwarves. GW clearly showed in the last 6 months that they love dual army boxes. Both of those factions are in serious need for both a battletome and some model update.

Free Cities... some of it will probably be rolled into a new faction (or two). I don't see them just using the faction as-is, it completely lacks any AoS flavour. Same goes for Aelves. Although I think that light and shadow aelves are wishful thinking, there's been nothing concrete about them other than they might mesh well with a Slaanesh release. I'm sure they'll come eventually, just not this year.

Darkoath will probably just be a part of the new Everchosen faction, I don't think they'll get a full battletome to themselves.

Seraphon, Fyreslayers, Kharadron and Ironjaws will probably get the "battletome, endless spells and terrain piece", with maybe a 2-3 new models. Expect more dual army boxes here. Sylvaneth and Flesh-Eaters might have to wait until next year.

Beastclaw Raiders might be bundled in a general Ogors batttletome. And Pestilence in Skaven(LoN style).

Death in general is in a great place, all the factions are viable, don't expect them to get anything for a year or two.

That would bring us to an almost completely viable range in AoS by 2020.

All of that need to be mitigated with the 40k releases, but I don't think there's all that much coming for 40k in the upcoming year. Genestealer is one of the last codex missing, and they have new models. Noise Marines are a possibility, and so are Chaos Space Marine. Sisters of Battle probably toward the end of the year.

I’m starting to feel that skaven are playing a bigger role in the whole age of Sigmar timeline.

they haven’t showed themselves too much outside, in the story’s etc.

I’m predicting that skaven are meant to play a much bigger role, which could mean that they may get a mixed battletome lon style, but with a Gloomspite Gitz kind of release and a possible campaign determining if the realms will be overrun by vermin

Yes-yes

Free Peoples get updated with a steampunk and or alchemical bent having lived closely with the Duardin and Aelves for so long. Keep the feathers and pantaloons but add drill spears, acid shooters, clock bombs, plague doctors with hang glider capes, potions everywhere, and chimeric transformations -- werewolves with feather caps and muskets would scratch an itch...

I actually am fully expecting us to see a Devoted of Sigmar fleshing out similar to Daughters of Khaine (probably 2020 though). Taking the iconic Warrior Priest and making a Warhammer faction around it seems really plausible and building on the Faith angle of the setting well.

Archived