New and excited member of the GA:Death

Bumfunk

Hello fellow warhammerfans!

I'm just about to get back into the game after quite a few years away from warhammer.

I'm gonna start with a couple of friends, and i've decided to go with the GA:Death, since i both love the theme and i've heard they are both rather well-rounded and fun to play as.

I hope you guys could maybe help me out with getting started!

I kinda love the entire theme of death, skeletons, vampires etc - but i'm unsure which of the armies to go with? Which box should i start with? The malignants, flesh-eater courts or skeleton horde? And should i go with nighthaunts,. LoN or flesh-eaters in general? What is the current meta-way/strat to play death?

I pretty much like them all equally much, so i guess what matters the most is what's "best" atm?

As a little extra, i can add, that one of the people i'm starting with is gonna play nurgle. How should i build my army to have the biggest chance of beating him? ^^ (I guess we are gonna play mostly about 1000-1500 points for some time)

I hope you wouldnt mind taking out a minute and help me out!

Cheers! :)

42 minutes ago, Bumfunk said:

Thank you very much! I think i'd go with the skeletons between thoose 2.

What about Nighthaunts - should i rather buy the battletome here and start collecting theese?
What's my strongest pick for a 1000-1500 points army?

Legion of Nagash (your go-to GA:Death battletome) tends to edge out as the stronger Death army to choose from. Nighthaunts are an un-balanced to decent army depending on who you ask. They are naturally tougher to take off the table than most and have a few key units that carry the weight of the rest of the tome which seems to be lacking. In other words, Nighthaunts are far from perfect and on a competitive landscape they tend to fall behind quickly. 

LoN on the other hand is the opposite. They are very strong with a lot of good units to choose from which lets you mix and match all sorts of cool army ideas (compare this to say Fyreslayers which has only one way to play effectively and that's it). To kick Nighthaunts when they are down, LoN can take all the of the good units that Nighthaunts use and take advantage of them without paying any allies cost (this can lead to some very heated debates so be careful!🤣). 

As far as what to take for a 1000-1500 point army. Skeletons and a necromancer are your typical go-to units to start with. Large units of skeletons can be buffed easily and can take a lot of damage with their weight of fire alone while the necromancer can again buff them but can also stay alive longer while they are near the skeletons in case someone is trying to snipe him off the table. Other than those picks and assuming you are going to use the LoN Battletome, you have a lot to choose from depending on your style of play. 

Hello Bumfunk, welcome ...

meta wise I guess Legions of Nagash is strongest at the moment, especially with some helpings from the added nighthaunt units (chainrasp and such)

in a 1k - 1.5k game double .40cal skelli block and 30 chainrasp will end friendship for 800 points... or dire wolves for fast outriders. The grind will be real. If you’re on the objectives before your enemies they’ll have a tough time getting you of it

Thank you very much, both of you! You've both been a great help!

I suppose i for starters will get the skeleton starterpack, and maybe a necromancer then!

Really excited to go out shopping tomorrow! :)

Honk, when you are refering to "40 cal skelli block", is that just the normal skeleton warriors then, or the grave guards?

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, Bumfunk said:

Honk, when you are refering to "40 cal skelli block", is that just the normal skeleton warriors then, or the grave guards?

It usually means just regular skeletons. Most people put the max amount of 40 skeletons in a single unit to take full advantage of the bonus attacks the amount of skeletons can provide. 

1 hour ago, Bumfunk said:

maybe a necromancer

Necromancer is a bit mandatory... XD

and yes, a .40cal is 40 skellis. And I call a full zombie squat .60cal, even if that is quite stupid.

The loadout on skellis is debatable, spears have higher range and might get you more models into a combat, the resulting worse hit rolls even that out for the swords.

Grave guards are pretty good too, but pretty expensive too. 30 guards wreck face. Pretty fancy things can be envisioned with vamp lords, wightkings and van hels violent dancing...

Sidenote: black knights were used highly effectively (by a pretty pro guy thou)...

LoN has a wide range of competitive to fun unit options with various different play styles, that’s awesome, but tricky for your budged

After skeleton horde if you will set up for LoN I suggest picking up flesh eater courts SC and build a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon, build or sell 3 vargheists and you will have a Ghoul King that you can ally with and he can bring your 10 ghouls from that box via summoning, this will be great value box for starting AoS since VLoZD is almost a must-have, he is golden

Archived