White Dwarf and AoS

RuneBrush

20 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

I've no behind the scenes info on White Dwarf, but I do work in magazines, and I can say that in general digital editions of magazines aren't popular, even for stuff like gaming and tech mags where you'd assume the audience might be into it. Most magazines only keep them going if it's easy/cheap to do so - I've seen mags stop doing them entirely for reasons as seemingly minor as not wanting to pay to keep their software up to date with the app stores anymore. Particularly if GW were paying for a team to work on their own app, it likely just reached a point where it wasn't making enough money to justify itself. 

Thanks for putting this up!  My previous job was working for a publishing company and one year I went to a big expo in Birmingham and attended a seminar presented by the bloke who ran Future Publishing.  He said that one observation they made was that different genres need to use digital offerings in different ways.  So computer magazines and game magazines were really popular in both printed and digital formats, whereas something like a guitar magazine was really only popular with a printed magazine - however the free demo CD you used to get was converted over to digital download as hardly anybody every played it on a CD player.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if even the print version of White Dwarf doesn't actually make much money, acting more as a PR exercise than a self-sustaining product.

It's no secret that the magazine industry as a whole is a shadow of what it used to be, and WD seems much more expensive to make than its rivals. It's got loads of pages, sells no advertising, has a big team, nice paper stock, regular free gifts... From the outside looking in, I'd say it must certainly cost much more to produce than, for example, Official PlayStation Magazine, even though there must be an order of magnitude more PS4 owners than there are Warhammer players. 

Obviously it's not a direct comparison - White Dwarf's a pretty unique thing - but I was pleasantly surprised when I got back into the hobby at how high-quality a product it still is, while mags all around it are getting cut down to nothing or closed entirely every day. 

42 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

Ha! Of course!

I'm in the UK and subbed through the website just before Xmas.

I'd give GW a call, I'm not 100% sure when the cut off was for January - I received my magazine on Monday so would have expected you to have had yours by now in truth.

13th of the month before. for example:

If you ordered the sub on December 12th you would receive your first sub issue for January's magazine. 

If you ordered on December 14th your sub would start for February's issue. 

If I ordered a sub today mines would start on February's issue. 

Only skimmed moest of it so far but read my main interest pieces. It feels really good, if they keep this up I might just subscribe again (after about 18 years). 

Really like the addition of a short story, a in depth tactics for underworlds* and of course the real value (at least for me), the Skirmish rules. Deff recommend. 

*although the 'in-depthness' of it might just because i'm not really good.

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Only skimmed moest of it so far but read my main interest pieces. It feels really good, if they keep this up I might just subscribe again (after about 18 years). 

Really like the addition of a short story, a in depth tactics for underworlds* and of course the real value (at least for me), the Skirmish rules. Deff recommend. 

*although the 'in-depthness' of it might just because i'm not really good.

Yeah agreed - to me it feels like the White Dwarf I knew as a teen again. This issue was enough to convince me to subscribe again, after a similar gap of time! 

In the new White Dwarf Darren Latham painted an amazing Kharadron Endrinmaster but with a bare faced dwarf. 

I really love the way the Kharadron Overlords look with heads, does anyone know what head he has used? I would be very keen to make mine like that with flesh heads.

37 minutes ago, Charles said:

In the new White Dwarf Darren Latham painted an amazing Kharadron Endrinmaster but with a bare faced dwarf. 

I really love the way the Kharadron Overlords look with heads, does anyone know what head he has used? I would be very keen to make mine like that with flesh heads.

He mentions in the caption that the head was sculpted from scratch

9 hours ago, Charles said:

That will teach me to read the articles! I wish they sold an upgrade kit for KO heads like that, I would happily buy it.

Have you checked out the various Dispossessed plastic kits? Not quite the same look, but there are lots of helmetless Duardin heads out there! 

EDIT: Actually I might be wrong there, looks like the head and body are one piece for the latest plastic kits :( I'm thinking of the old Dwarf kits 

Archived