White Dwarf and AoS

RuneBrush

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because I finally can... Called it ;) 

I think it's a good choice by GW. I'm struggling for a client to find what the true extra value of their newsletter is. All other info/offers are available through other channels as well. But publishing rules like Skirmish exclusively in the WD* will absolutely help people buy it. It's truly extra value, and if they do updates like this often enough a subscription will start to look very interesting indeed. The give away card for the Shadespire Giant matchup helped me this month as well. 

*Not so much fun as a gamer, but as a business choice very smart.

This is some pretty good news overall. The one worry would be running into what 40k used to deal with in previous editions in having to carry a mini library of books and magazines into order to play a game. I doubt this would be the case with something small like Skirmish, but for anything else its something to consider. 

45 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

This is some pretty good news overall. The one worry would be running into what 40k used to deal with in previous editions in having to carry a mini library of books and magazines into order to play a game. I doubt this would be the case with something small like Skirmish, but for anything else its something to consider. 

Yeah... I'm excited to see Skirmish in White Dwarf, but I'd rather carry around one thin booklet than at least two (probably more) White Dwarfs. 

2 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Having things available in WD initially, then making it generally available a year later, could be an idea. Or alternatively make a digital version available for people with a subscription?

They have only recently removed the digital version of WD earlier this year, I'm assuming due to poor sales and making it easy to pirate find elsewhere. Making new rules only to have them put behind a paywall doesn't seem to make much sense. The idea of making them free for everyone or making a seperate book with all the WD rules at a later date would make more sense. 

10 hours ago, Patrick said:

I really like these changes. I was struggling for some time to find the value of WD (for me personally) and always found it a bit 'meh', but with these changes I will probably take a subscription (for the first time). 

I’ve just taken out a sub. These new changes certainly look exciting and I’m willing to give them another go (haven’t had a subscription for at least 5 years) and try it out.

I might be swimming against the stream here, but I don't like that. 

I have a 40k background... Near the end of 7th edition, the rules, formations, warlord traits, etc were so spread out over so many different books/sources, that bringing them all to a battle weighed almost as much as your whole army did! It became such a convoluted mess and you couldn't even keep up with it anymore as a player.

Don't get me wrong: cool and fluffy new rules expansions: yes! Having to drag a complete white dwarf with you for 1-3 pages of additional rules: hell no! I'm getting older and my back is starting to wear out enough as it is. 

Tbh, GW should have transitioned to a full card based system (army traits, command traits, artifacts, spells etc included) a long time ago. Both AoS AND 40k 8th were the perfect time to do it, but they blew that opportunity.  They want a more "living rulebook" through GHB/CA, but if they keep clinging to battletomes/codexes (and now, white dwarfs/campaign books), it's going to lose it's initial elegance. 

If feel annoyed enough already that my FEC battletome  feels like a massively outdated product... I'd like it more if it just had a ton more fluff, painting guides, narrative missions, "historical battles" for your faction, PtG options, etc while they kept all the rules to cards. If  they just  designed  some lovely presentation maps to slide in the datacards that you need, it would be an absolute  dream to game with AND a workable system to keep armies up to date, as you can fix both blatantly OP and woefully weak units/army traits by changing and printing a single card and selling that alongside GHB.  

Sounds like I’m the only person who has a subscription and really loves the magazine in its current format.  The battle reports are great fun but the general friendly writing style makes it an enjoyable and easy read. 

I’m interested to see what they do with the new version but I get a lot of enjoyment out of the current format. I always skip the 40k content so there are the occasional issues with almost no AoS  maybe the new version will keep a consistent balance, but I’ll still miss the issues where we get an overload of AoS.

15 hours ago, CaptainSoup said:

They have only recently removed the digital version of WD earlier this year, I'm assuming due to poor sales and making it easy to pirate find elsewhere. Making new rules only to have them put behind a paywall doesn't seem to make much sense. The idea of making them free for everyone or making a seperate book with all the WD rules at a later date would make more sense. 

They have released free PDFs of rules from White Dwarf in the past - for example, for the Chaos and Genestealer Cult Necromunda gangs. Did take a while, though - but, then, you can usually find a scan online within hours of the issue coming out... 

1 hour ago, robinlvalentine said:

They have released free PDFs of rules from White Dwarf in the past - for example, for the Chaos and Genestealer Cult Necromunda gangs. Did take a while, though - but, then, you can usually find a scan online within hours of the issue coming out... 

Well here's to hoping they stay consistent then! 😄

In the Age of Internet, I think this is the only way to give a certain value to WD.

And it's not even that new, they use to do it all the time (such as publishing full temporary Army Lists) and then compiling all in the Annual/Chronicals books (2002-2004).

Bet they will do just that if Skirmish or other "series" of articles are relegated to regular WD content.

I like the current White Dwarf, although there are often a few bits I don't read not really being into 40k, but I can't imagine an AOS specific magazine being of the same quality, so I'm fine with that. The one thing I'd like to see more of are the Eavy Metal Masterclass articles, which seem to come out once every 6 months at the moment...

On 12/28/2018 at 3:49 PM, Mastahkeef said:

Does anyone know if the previous White Dwarf contained an actual physical card for the Chaos Gargant in Shadespire or was it just printed within the magazine pages? Thanks

There was a physical card included.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:19 PM, Charles said:

Sounds like I’m the only person who has a subscription and really loves the magazine in its current format.  The battle reports are great fun but the general friendly writing style makes it an enjoyable and easy read. 

I’m interested to see what they do with the new version but I get a lot of enjoyment out of the current format. I always skip the 40k content so there are the occasional issues with almost no AoS  maybe the new version will keep a consistent balance, but I’ll still miss the issues where we get an overload of AoS.

I loved white dwarf in its previous format too. I have my hands on the Jan white dwarf already and I'm sure you'll still love it. 

The only thing I don't like is it doesn't have a new section of all the latest releases anymore! I think that's a mistake as my main joy from the magazine was looking at good closeups of the new models. 

Having said that, lots of people didn't like the catalogue aspect of WD, so they'll be pleased, and all the actual WD content is top quality. 

The new short story for aos was great! Can't wait for people to chat about it. 

Personally I'm not too happy about having to go to a WD for rules.  I don't want to be flicking through various WDs looking for rules and I'd rather not have to subscribe to a mag that's put over in part to 40k and LOTR.  I'd happily pay for a new Skirmish supplement but I'd not be happy with having to buy WD to get it. 

1 hour ago, TheAntsAreBack said:

Personally I'm not too happy about having to go to a WD for rules.  I don't want to be flicking through various WDs looking for rules and I'd rather not have to subscribe to a mag that's put over in part to 40k and LOTR.  I'd happily pay for a new Skirmish supplement but I'd not be happy with having to buy WD to get it. 

Have heard a word of mouth (friend of friend of friend, etc.) rumor that the rules supplied in WD is to sort of preview and present a light version of an actual skirmish book coming out later.

The thought is this to see how well the community takes the rules before finalizing and shipping out the book with the deeper set of rules.

Archived