The „Possible Units“ Thread, Order Edition

JackStreicher

Hello fellow Order Players.

This Thread is supposed to be a pure „That unit might fit to my army“ thread in which you first name the army and then you list Units (perhaps with a little description) that you would like your army to receive in the (far) future.

I‘ll start off with:

idoneth deepkin

- Sirens (Deepsea Sirens luring enemies to a watery death)

- merwyrm

- Hero on Eel

- Namarti/Akhelian Infantry Phalanx (Spears, Morsarr Guard Armor and big Shields), also usable as Royal Guard?

- Infantry Phalanx Captain

- Kraken (for obvious reasons), in a swimming motion.

- Tidecaster on Monster

For sylvaneth:

Multilegged tree cavalry. Centaur meets dryads. Imagine an angry ball of branches with arms

For collegiate arcanum

Wizard students. Spellcasters with ranged attack, terrible save, midsized units. Battleline.

Construct guards. Iron golems or stone elementals, something like that. Maybe several variants( fire, ice, stone etc.)

Wizard summoners: boost nearby constructs ala grot herders. Fragile

Levitating wizard. Similar to tzaangors on disks, fast, magic users with ranged attacks

Archmage. Better battle wizard, cast 2/dispel 2

Slyvaneth

- Spite swarms (bases of just the small spires that come with the other units)

- Household captains (Tree-Revenants heroes)

- Spite-Kurnoths (Kurnoths that have been succumbed to the song of the spite-revenants and hate all other beings, alternatively, an expansion on the spite side of the army in a general way)

Deepkin

- Tidecaster on jellyfish (who better to control something that floats with the current than one that controls the currents)

- hybrid Narmarti (Narmarti who in desperation had to use the souls of animals instead of mortals, continued use has led to them losing reason, they work as a cheaper chaff unit)

- more exploration of the isharann side of the army, with more support units such as coral shapers and soul wardens (guy that gathers up the souls collected in battle)

- more sea creatures to emphasis the unique selling point, maybe with sea creatures swarms (I like swarms :P)

Daughters of Khaine

- thrall male chaff that had no talent for magic and thus have no use but to die for Khaine

- a 'diplomat' hero that represents those that deal with the other races in order to keep up appearances (they'd have a more 'normal' appearance and could give bonuses to allies)

Wanderers

-Juvenile forest dragons. Flying cavalry with hard hitting archers on their backs, akin to a ranged version of the Idoneth Eels.

- Wanderer Caravan. An Aelven fortune tellers wagon, I don't really care what it does, I just think it would look neat. Buffing wizard would be the logical role I guess?

Sylvaneth:

Kurnoth/revenant  Beetle riders

Spites

Giant Treelord (slightly less humanoid than current treelords - and ofc bigger - .. more tree-y.... but not as terrible as the older treelords look now ofc)

Kurnoth (special) character (kit with 3 builds one of them special character please.. take my money 3 times.. yes?)

Alternate forest base - no new rules - just.. an alternative size and look preferably with 2 builds.

Kurnoth hunter underworld team (unique)

Wanderer

Waystone terrain (since everyone gets terrain these days and wanderers have more ties to terrain in their (very limited) lore than others.

Wardancers

New forest dragon, still serpentine and not extremely muscular like most new dragons

A new book with the power creep that comes with it? 

On 12/27/2018 at 3:28 PM, Frowny said:

For sylvaneth:

Multilegged tree cavalry. Centaur meets dryads. Imagine an angry ball of branches with arms

For collegiate arcanum

Wizard students. Spellcasters with ranged attack, terrible save, midsized units. Battleline.

Construct guards. Iron golems or stone elementals, something like that. Maybe several variants( fire, ice, stone etc.)

Wizard summoners: boost nearby constructs ala grot herders. Fragile

Levitating wizard. Similar to tzaangors on disks, fast, magic users with ranged attacks

Archmage. Better battle wizard, cast 2/dispel 2

I'd very much prefer golems to be something duardish... and the summoners/buffers would then be runesmiths/variants.

Daughters of Khaine:

1) Dedicated cavalry unit comprised of female riders with either the same mounts as Doomfires or a mythical creature of some kind. Representing the cavalry side of the armed forces, since we must assume that Doomfires are a rarity rather than main-battle unit. 

2) Spear wielding witches. We see two on the Cauldron/shrines so seeing a dedicated unit would be great. Although one might argue that Bloodsisters already fill this role. 

3) An embracing of some of the classic units of old with a "beast tamer" style model comprised of at least one witch aelf and her menagerie of mythical beasts. Yes this is another way to have some mythical monster cat/beast/dog/wolf/whatever types of beast within the force. 

4) Shadow Beasts - these might be one option for a faction Endless Spell or could be simply a regular unit. Representing the shadow beasts that Morathi first drew to her side when she was found in the shadow realm wandering alone.

5) A Melusai special character/hero. A chance to have  special character not just for fights, but also to establish one in the lore so that Melusai have at least one "voice" of their own and character to help shape them.

6) A Khinari special character/hero. Same as the Melusai option in theme and approach. 

7) Some form of Artillery/siege weapon unit so that the Daughters have no need to call on Sigmar for his ballista in battle.

8 As all the new factions are getting buildings - a giant fountain of blood over a vast cauldron. Although this runs the risk of spoiling things for vampires and attracting way too many bats, but still its at least one theme that fits with the faction, if a little too predictable and easy. 

9) A Witch Aelf/queen atop a mythical mount. Something that basically acts as a second high cost, high power hero alongside Morathi (ergo something expensive, big and to beat that epic hyena-pegasus that stormcast got). 

The Aelf pat of the old WoodElf army (I forget what they are called)

1) Just one idea - beasts. Shift the whole faction from Elfs and trees to Aelfs and beasts. As the tree spirits abandoned them, embrace the inner beast! Shapeshifters/skinshifters - mythical monsters - giant cats - viscous snakes, eagles galore! 

I find myself wanting my army with or without GW help.  To that end, if I came as basic order what current GH2018 order units would be the best fit in terms of flavor for the following:

Orion

Wardancers 

Wood elf general on forest dragon

Giant eagle

On 12/29/2018 at 10:25 PM, Cynric said:

The alternate forest, forest dragon and war dancers previously suggested.

Also:

Orion 

Giant eagles

Beasttenders with bears/wolves

Swarms

How could I forget Orion and Beast masters......  A bloodthirster sized Orion....

On 12/29/2018 at 10:27 PM, Freejack02 said:

Orion. 

The reason I started collecting Wood Elves in the 90s, and it just doesn't feel like the same faction without him. 

I do think that last short bit of lore I can recall (can't even find where it was thought it was GHB 2018 but I can't find it anymore) makes wanderers look more like hippy travelers between waystones than the hunters that fit with Orion (and the beastmasters)... but that could (and should) be changed anyway.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:27 PM, Overread said:

1) Just one idea - beasts. Shift the whole faction from Elfs and trees to Aelfs and beasts. As the tree spirits abandoned them, embrace the inner beast! Shapeshifters/skinshifters - mythical monsters - giant cats - viscous snakes, eagles galore! 

Yeah.. back to being hunters. Though I would prefer some connection to forests (since i've painted my army green).

1 minute ago, Aezeal said:

Yeah.. back to being hunters. Though I would prefer some connection to forests (since i've painted my army green).

Green works even if you've not got the trees on your side. Animals and greenery works great! 

I'd really love to see it because whilst sprites are neat they are rather, well, tiny on bases. Seeing them with grand elk, wildcats, bears, wolves, magical creatures the like of which I can't even imagine etc...... Heck give them a flight of eagles and a giant moth for a huge based beast etc... Go nuts with the beasts it would be fantastic!

Just now, Overread said:

Green works even if you've not got the trees on your side. Animals and greenery works great! 

I'd really love to see it because whilst sprites are neat they are rather, well, tiny on bases. Seeing them with grand elk, wildcats, bears, wolves, magical creatures the like of which I can't even imagine etc...... Heck give them a flight of eagles and a giant moth for a huge based beast etc... Go nuts with the beasts it would be fantastic!

True I could just make the lore for my warband about living in the forest without limiting the whole army allegiance to the forest. I must say I don't favor the moth idea... seems so very fragile for a combat beast. I just want a serpentine forestdragon... 

front.jpg

I always hated that MTG had so many combo and easy kill and destruction and anti casting spells. I just wanted to summon a huge army of mythical beasties and do war. If GW lets us do that then my gods I'll have to throw money at them like crazy! 

I'm already kinda sad that Daughters of Khaine don't really have much mythical beasty stuff going on barring some hellish horses. Course the jealousy really started when Stormcast got their Hyena Pegasus. 

On 12/29/2018 at 10:27 PM, Overread said:

1) Dedicated cavalry unit comprised of female riders with either the same mounts as Doomfires or a mythical creature of some kind. Representing the cavalry side of the armed forces, since we must assume that Doomfires are a rarity rather than main-battle unit. 

I‘d really like that (just like hellebron in the pic I added)

B7644E63-A45F-4FFB-A454-2CA64137118B.jpeg

Good lord I want a full army for Collegiate Arcane!

One of their allegiance abilities could be unlimited casting of Arcane Bolt (akin to 1KSons or GK in 40k).

In terms of models I think obviously some unique endless spells, then some infantry based around the different winds of magic.

I was just thinking of what new units idoneth could use in their roster, and so far I agree with the other posts that what they described would be sweet.. What I personally would love to see would be GW going even further into the undersea mounts for the akhelians!  just some rambling ideas I had while driving for work:

for isharann I would love to see some kind of mounted spell caster. Maybe a soul warden that collects the souls  while riding a killer whale or in a chariot type unit being pulled by angler fish or something. some kind of guy that actually collects the souls my army is hunting for during battles. maybe could buff units as we kill things or do some healing to our monsters. Something that makes sense beyond a soul-render on foot and could keep up with my mobile calvary list

General mounted heroes would be good too. I could see some kind of dolphin mount or seahorse that allows us to better support the akhelians, maybe as part of a dual kit with the above mentioned warden.
Lobster knights / some kind of crustation unit. could be part of namarti or part of the akhelians, but these guys could be slow and tough compared to the eels, maybe holding ballistas or magical cannons. Really, I just want an excuse to sing southpark’s Crab people song everytime they move or attack.

Melee focused allopex rather than a cross bow on the back. Maybe make the shark a hammer head shark or another species besides the allopex to better differentiate it, while giving the secondary rider a broadsword or some kind of polearm.

An akhelian king / beastmaster riding a sea dragon. It doesn't feel like an elf army without one of these and the turtle just doesn't fill the same role in my opinion.  Dragons and elves have been linked since the old world. Rules wise I think it could match a star drake or a zombie dragon in terms of combat potential, and it could have some kind of high-pressure water breath attack or something.

Other things that would be fun:
Puffer fish mines
mantaray swarms
Endless spells of minnows, swordfish, jellyfish and starfish that represent sea-life
squid riders / monsters
Shielded namartii in phalanxes as discussed
The chance to take hydras, kharibdi and a merwyrm for monsters
More ethersea terrain types

and finally to top it all off a thunderhawk esque whale mount made by forgeworld. Just would be fun to show up to a battlefield with a 28mm scale modle of a whale, plop it down and have it fly around crushing stuff.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:58 PM, Overread said:

I always hated that MTG had so many combo and easy kill and destruction and anti casting spells. I just wanted to summon a huge army of mythical beasties and do war. If GW lets us do that then my gods I'll have to throw money at them like crazy! 

I'm already kinda sad that Daughters of Khaine don't really have much mythical beasty stuff going on barring some hellish horses. Course the jealousy really started when Stormcast got their Hyena Pegasus. 

The chicks with wings a

- mchicks with serpent bodies

- a blood cauldron

- a medusa

- a dragon woman queen

aren't mythical? where do you live exactly?

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

The chicks with wings a

- mchicks with serpent bodies

- a blood cauldron

- a medusa

- a dragon woman queen

aren't mythical? where do you live exactly?

Down the road from Middle Earth, just turn left at the Never Ending Story and I'm opposite Narnia ;) 

By beasty I meant more in terms of monsters and mounts in mythical terms. Khinerai, Melusai and the like are certainly mythical inspired peoples, but they are not beasts nor monsters. They are not great cats; noble hounds; bloody lizards or mighty dragons. 

Archived