Tournament Beastclaw Raiders

LordDrakonus

After considering use Braggoth Beast Hammer on both 2000 and 2500pt army. Changed my mind and went for  a Jorbad + Skal, as following:

Frostlord Stonehorn
Huskard Stonehorn
Icebrow Hunter

2x Mourngfang Pack
2x Frostsabres
Stonehorn Beastriders

Skal
Jorbad

total: 1960pt / 75wounds (37 in stonehorns that halve wounds :) )

With this, I'm able to capture objectives using Skal, and use Run and Charge bonus of Jorbad to punch some faces. FrostLord's Bellowing Voice allows to a better charge chance.  Using Huskard + 4 Mournfangs on a group, I can attack with Huskard and just after him, with 4 mournfangs.

How about its use on a competitive gameplay?

Thanks in advance 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been playing around with lists a fair bit and here are my thoughts on yours (note that I consider the Strength of BCR to be with mixing in Destruction Batteline Units):

Frostlord on Stonehorn

Pretty much an auto-include, give him the Battle Brew.

Icebrow Hunter, 2x Frost Sabres and formation

I really, really, really want these to be strong/worth taking however it's a massive points sink for so few models, that are not particularly resilient. Plus the Hunter really suffers from hitting on 4+'s with everything. If you run this I think you really need to take larger units of Sabres to get the most out of the objective contesting, however, you are again looking at a big points investment.  For 340 you could almost afford 3 units of Yetis!

Using Huskard + 4 Mournfangs on a group, I can attack with Huskard and just after him, with 4 mournfangs

Remember you need 2 units of Mournfang for the formation so you will only be able to attack with 1 unit of 2.

Overall it's an army that will hit very hard with the 3 stonehorns however you have nothing to try and pick off support characters etc, the lack of Thundertusks is very telling. Personally I would drop the formation and pop the Huskard on a Thundertusk, in my 'competitive' lists I have always tried to have 2x Stonehorn and 2x Thundertusks.

8 minutes ago, Cowboy Boots Matt said:

Personally I would drop the formation and pop the Huskard on a Thundertusk, in my 'competitive' lists I have always tried to have 2x Stonehorn and 2x Thundertusks.

So, You think if I drop Skal and Jorlbad and use:

Frostlord SH
Hukard TT
Huskard TT

2x (2) Mournfang
SH Beastrider

It's a better option? even without Run and Charge and Skal for capture objectives? Also, with this I can only have 1 artefact, and with previously i can use 3

Thanks for tips 

@Cowboy Boots Matt, You said about using BCR with other destruction armies right?

So, going with Bonesppliterz , is it a nice choice?

for example:

Eurlbad:
Huskard SH
2x 2 Mournfang Packs
SH Beastrider

Bonegringz Warclan - Kunnin Rukk:
Savage Big Boss
3x 10 Savage Orruks
1x 30 Arrowboys (in one unit to Kunnin rukk bonus)

2000pt in total

adding for a 2500:
Wurrgog Prophet
3x 2 Big Stabbas (Teef Rukk)

Running Destruction, I can use Rampage Destroyers for move, move and charge, replacing Run n' Charge of Jorlbad, this allow me to use Eurlbad and gain +1 wounds on my Huskard + rolling 6's on wounds add +1 mortal damage

Looks better than pure BCR?

It's a better option? even without Run and Charge and Skal for capture objectives? Also, with this I can only have 1 artefact, and with previously i can use 3

If you are sticking with pure BCR I would consider this a stronger list. You only loose run on charge on the Mournfang who has a large threat range anyways, particularly with 3D6 charge (choose the highest) and a re-roll from the Frostlord.

I can't comment to much on the Savages due to my lack of knowledge of formations, however I will be commonly fielding 2x 10 Savage Orcs and 1x 3 Ogors. I'd be interested what the mentioned formation does.

@Cowboy Boots Matt

Kunnin Rukk (1 savage boss , 2+un of Savage ors or Arrowboys )

Dead Sneaky: Orruks can be surprisingly sneaky when they want, catching out a foe with an unexpected advance or a sudden sneak attack. In each of your hero phases, pick one unit from the Kunnin’ Rukk that is within 10" of the battalion’s Savage Big Boss. The unit you pick can move as if it were the movement phase if it is more than 3" from the enemy (and is allowed to run), shoot as if it were the shooting phase, or pile in and attack as if it were the combat phase if it is within 3" of an enemy. It can still perform actions normally later in the turn, whatever it does in the hero phase”

Excerpt From: Games Workshop Ltd. “Destruction Battletome: Bonesplitterz.” iBooks. 

Bonegringz Warclan (1 Kunnin Rukk with 4+ units of savage/arrowboys)

“ABILITIES
Loadsa Boyz: Bonegrinz Warclans attack the enemy in huge foot-slogging hordes. Roll a dice each time a unit of Savage Orruks, Savage Orruk Arrowboys or Savage Big Stabbas is completely destroyed. On a 6, you can set up an identical, replacement unit within 6" of the edge of the battlefield and more than 9" from any enemy models. This counts as its move for the following movement phase.
Beast Slayers:Bonegrinz are emboldened each time a part of Gorkamorka’s essence is freed. Add 1 to the Bravery of all Bonegrinz models the first time a MONSTERis slain in the battle.
COMMAND TRAIT
A Bonegrinz general can choose this command trait instead of one from page 85:
Bring it Down, Ladz: Bonegrinz generals are legendary monster slayers. Instead of rolling on the Monster Hunters table (pg 85), your general and any friendly Bonegrinz unit within 12" can always choose their result.”

Excerpt From: Games Workshop Ltd. “Destruction Battletome: Bonesplitterz.” iBooks. 

@Cowboy Boots Matt forgot to mention about the beef teef ruck (for 2500pt)

2-5 Savage Big Stabbas

“ABILITIES
Crazed Monster Hunters: In your hero phase, pick an enemy MONSTER. Each unit from a Teef Rukk that is within 6" of the MONSTERcan pile in 6" and then make an attack as if it were the combat phase. This does not stop them from attacking again later in the same turn”

Those formations are all great (I love the Beef Ruck!) however I feel the benefit for taking them (making your battleline better) would be negligible due to the additional points you need to spend to obtain the formations themselves. Obviously this is a personal choice and is very much a good example of treating battleline as a tax or building your army around it.

@Cowboy Boots Matt, the main benefit of using Kunnin Rukk is to apply it on archers, Shoot (Archers can attack again 6's), and shoot again in shooting fase. They have 2 attacks +1 if the unit has 20+ models. So, 3 attacks * 30 * 2(with kunnin rukk), 180 shots, with chance to attack again os 6's.

I like the ogors, but this bonus looks like nice to soften enemy units

About the cost of formations: Bonegrinz 60, Kunnin 40 and Eurlbad 60 .. 160 for the bonuses, fair enough 

An idea I was tossing around...

Frost lord on Ttusk

Huskard on Ttusk

Battleline of:

2×3 Yhetee 

Ttusk 

And a Skal of:

2 Hunters and either 4×2 kitties or 2×4 kitties.

Lots of debuffs all around. Ambushing hunters+cats to grab stuff other deal with pesky stuff in the back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on my stormcast atm but I had an idea......cause yetis are possible the worst minis in the gw line and cats are for chumps.......Now cause I'm not using beastclaw allegiance I figured I could add some bodies........also upgrade a beastrider stonehorn to a 2nd frostlord.

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)

Units
Savage Orruks x 20 (200)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions

Total: 2000/2000

5 hours ago, LordDrakonus said:

I'm working on my stormcast atm but I had an idea......cause yetis are possible the worst minis in the gw line and cats are for chumps.......Now cause I'm not using beastclaw allegiance I figured I could add some bodies........also upgrade a beastrider stonehorn to a 2nd frostlord.

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Battle Brew

Units
Savage Orruks x 20 (200)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)
Savage Orruks x 10 (100)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions

Total: 2000/2000

I would take this but drop the 2nd frostlord for normal stonehorn beast riders  (means you could take a 3rd bloodvulture) and take a wardok who can give a mystic shield/unbind/buff the chaff. 

15 potential mortal wounds on turn one from range before the two stonehorn charge. 

@LordDrakonus that list looks pretty solid. The Behemoth Leaders will cause an awful lot of problems for most armies and you've still got 40 2W models to run up behind holding objectives.

I do think we'll see lists similar to this quite a lot. It's funny as it was the battleline Behemoths people were initially concerned about, yet I think its widely accepted that mixed Destruction is more flexible than pure Beastclaw, with the Leader Behemoths doing the heavy lifting!

Not sure if this thread should now be renamed Tournament Destruction w/ Frostlords on Stonehorns ;) 

Archived