Mitzy's Destruction Army The Meatmen of Mitzmanheim

Mitzy

Haha nice! That's like me with Lahmian Medium to be fair. The stuff is magic, I've considered using it to brush my teeth and make my tea with! ;)

Agrax Earthshade isn't a bad product, however have you tried the Army Painter Strong Tone Wash? That's my preferred product in the "dark brown wash" slot. Behaves a little more like the old Devlan Mud wash that GW used to produce.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Haha nice! That's like me with Lahmian Medium to be fair. The stuff is magic, I've considered using it to brush my teeth and make my tea with! ;)

Agrax Earthshade isn't a bad product, however have you tried the Army Painter Strong Tone Wash? That's my preferred product in the "dark brown wash" slot. Behaves a little more like the old Devlan Mud wash that GW used to produce.

Chris I'm partial to that too. The Sepia and Dark Tone are really great as well.

3 hours ago, Dez said:

Chris I'm partial to that too. The Sepia and Dark Tone are really great as well.

I yet to look that product up... but given my most recent purchase of Agrax it will be a while before I go looking ;)

Anyway thanks @Chris Tomlin @Dez for the insight!

Oh and @Chris Tomlin I'd avoid brushing your teeth with it, but given the amount of time I spend with my brushes in my gob I reckon I'd be immune to the affects of ingesting the stuff! :D

And here they come, under the thunder of cloven hoof and the clank of Pig Iron with a mighty WAAAGH..... Enter the Gore Gruntas, well the first of 12!

Here he is hot off the painting table, the first test mini. I'm really pleased with how he has come out, I like how the rough blending on the face adds to his grizzled and war torn look. These miniatures really are depraved looking and the wild nature is captured perfectly.

Anyway, I hope you approve, there's a few more to come... 

image.png

image.png

image.png

18 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

That looks incredible! What is your recipe for the metal? It looks perfectly dirty.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the comments! Which metal are you referring to? The Black Orruk armour or the yellow plates?

17 hours ago, Dez said:

I have an idea how the metal is done, definitely want to borrow the recipe!

would you paint some freehand in the yellow shield? Seems like it's begging for a war glyph!

I'm thinking of doing something but I need to get the whole unit done before I decide on what... Up until now all the Ork Glyphs have been on army banners (see Pig Boyz and Sourbreath Troggoths earlier for reference). I am yet to add them anywhere else... But it is a distinct possibility.

I'm also of the opinion that the Orruk looks a bit bland because his armour is just black. What do you think?

I love the black on the armor, though a couple subtle checks and dags here and there would be cool. 

What's your recipe for the Orruk Armor? I'm thinking something like black> Drybrush metal> Wash black> pick out highlights with metal...but that might be me speed painting :)

27 minutes ago, Dez said:

I love the black on the armor, though a couple subtle checks and dags here and there would be cool. 

What's your recipe for the Orruk Armor? I'm thinking something like black> Drybrush metal> Wash black> pick out highlights with metal...but that might be me speed painting :)

Close but no drybrush and the wash BEFORE the silver scratches get added...

So The whole mini is undercoated White then I paint the black armour with Vallejo Model Air Black (this is excellent paint and is really thin so goes on super fast, I use a lot of the model air range for this reason), the whole lot is heavily washed with Agrax Earthshade (SHOCK HORROR). Then dry I stipple leadbelcher on to the armour to give the scratched look, I then use a really thin brush (fine detail with half the hairs missing) and put on some sword slashes etc. Finally I give the whole area a wash of 90% water 10% Troll Slayer Orange to give the dirty/rust effect.

Simples (and very quick once you know the recipe)... Enjoy :)

On 25 May 2016 at 9:00 PM, Soulsmith said:

I gave your method of black armour a go, but it didn't seem to apply well? What brush do you use to stipple? I have the GW stipple brush but seemed too stiff for this purpose.

Ah ok I should have explained, I have a brush that I made for this purpose, I took an old decorators brush you know about 2" wide with bristles about 2" long. I snipped off a clump of the bristles, bunched them up really tight and dipped one end in super glue. I then rolled out some green stuff and made a crude handle. The stippling brush has 2" long bristles and is very soft allowing me to create scratches. Hope that helps and sorry for not being clearer.

ps it is also how I apply my blood spatter too, gives a nice "arterial" spray effect. :)

So at long last the Pig Boyz older cousins are finished, and I'm really pleased with how they came out. Now to build and undercoat the other 9... But I have an evening of Silver Tower coming up on Friday and have been tasked with painting up the demons so it'll be a week or so before I get back to the Orruks.

i do have 2 Orruk Boar Chariots assembled and primed so they may get first dibs when the demons are done... Time will tell :)

At first I was wondering what the red smears were...then I realized it was the blood of those they careen through, awesome! I'd like to see the faintest bit of splatter and perhaps some old, drying blood. They don't wash the pig between drive by'S I'm sure :)

• 3 weeks later...

lol, in terms of being crowned top Destruction player I'm sure you'll pip me to the post with ease ;) the list I'm planning is very much a one trick pony and actually apart from Godrakk and Big Toof doesn't put out much hurt. But it'll look VERY pretty...

In terms of Project updates I've been very remiss I have base coated and washed an Orruk Boar Chariot and a Weirdnob. But also I managed to find one of the Forgeworld Idol of Gork's from a mate of mine and he has now been fully assembled. I decided to pimp him out a little with bitz from the bitz box and also I decided to build a small wooden Howdah which will be chained to his shoulders for a small troup of Grots to hurl abuse from :) 

WIP photos of the big chap are below, enjoy...

2016-06-21 00.44.26.jpg

2016-06-21 00.44.39.jpg

2016-06-21 00.44.57.jpg

I love it! I've been meaning to build one of these myself, and I love the idea of it being crewed...I'd actually considered using some 40k grots because I have tons of them and making the Idol more of a mechanical contraption than living embodiment.

Archived