AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

21 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Thermal rider cloak gives some guaranteed movement. It's kind of painful when you roll a 4 for movement or something.

I didn't think about that. Does the movement buff also apply to Fight Another Day's bonus movement? (I assume not, but I don't have my books with me at work to check the wording)

Hey all:

Quick question for all you Gitz experts. Long time player and poster with several other armies, I have picked up some of the new models and am putting a Gitz army together.  I am mostly a casual player but I do go to about 2-3 tourneys a year.  I am drawn to the new squig models and am leaning toward a squig based list.  However, just a quick glance at the book and the online discussions gives me the impression that the better/competitive lists all center around hoards of Stabbas or Spiders. Not all that concerned, will probably still go squig heavy, just trying to get a feel for what I am getting into before I commit too much more hobby cash/time.  

3 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

Hey all:

Quick question for all you Gitz experts. Long time player and poster with several other armies, I have picked up some of the new models and am putting a Gitz army together.  I am mostly a casual player but I do go to about 2-3 tourneys a year.  I am drawn to the new squig models and am leaning toward a squig based list.  However, just a quick glance at the book and the online discussions gives me the impression that the better/competitive lists all center around hoards of Stabbas or Spiders. Not all that concerned, will probably still go squig heavy, just trying to get a feel for what I am getting into before I commit too much more hobby cash/time.  

You can do well with a squig list, but IMO you need to balance it out a bit to really benefit from all the gloomspite shenanigans. I’m trying 70% squig and 30% moonclan next weekend. I really like adding a 60 stabba unit with Loonboss to every list I am making with the various factions.  The horde tarpit + mortal wounds really lets your squig cavalry do its job and have some fun. I’m not a huge fan of the squig herd, so I’m putting the stabbas + 2x6 of squig in battle line and focusing on bounderz, hoppers and 2 manglers as the core of the army. Just my opinion but I think you need around 30% of another faction to get more balanced, trogoths could work too if your not taking manglers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

Hey all:

If you built your army around 60 stabbas, 2 units of squig battleline (either min or max unit sized hoppers/herds), 30 bounders (15x2 or 10x3), a unit of snufflers, and 1 loonboss on mangler I think you'll be fine.

Only real issue with Gloomspite imo is it costs a lot of $$$ and isn't top tier auto win. Age of sigmar is not the kind of game where $$$ equals power.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TailoredTackle said:

You can do well with a squig list, but IMO you need to balance it out a bit to really benefit from all the gloomspite shenanigans. I’m trying 70% squig and 30% moonclan next weekend. I really like adding a 60 stabba unit with Loonboss to every list I am making with the various factions.  The horde tarpit + mortal wounds really lets your squig cavalry do its job and have some fun. I’m not a huge fan of the squig herd, so I’m putting the stabbas + 2x6 of squig in battle line and focusing on bounderz, hoppers and 2 manglers as the core of the army. Just my opinion but I think you need around 30% of another faction to get more balanced, trogoths could work too if your not taking manglers.

I love squig herd honestly. They have done really well for me. With a moon clan general (so unless you are troggoth based or spider based, pretty likely) they represent your cheapest battleline by far. 70 points gets you 12 wounds, which works out at 5.8 points a wound, cheaper than discounted stabbas. They also have a tiny imprint and can fight in two ranks. I love setting them up like this.

SS

SSS

H.

That gets you a tiny front facing area, all squigs attacking. They are really handy for charging into flanks and being a pain to dislodge. 

They can also fight reasonably well. Most flanking units are going to have an issue with them unless they considerably out point them, so they are handy backfield holders.

Plus I just love the reroll run and charges.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CitizenX said:

So I just made an account to ask for advice here on this, but my local store is about to do a Path to Glory and I decided to use my Squigs. Current list is

Loonboss on Mangler Squig (leader)

Trait: Fight Another Day

Fungoid Shaman

Lore: Squig Lore

5x Bounderz

What I am struggling with is what artefact to use. Any suggestions? 

My current personal favorite for a Loonboss on Mangler with the Fight Another Day ability is the Doppelganger Cloak from the Realm of Ulgu.  It synergizes with the command trait extremely well since it does not allow the opponent to target the bearer in melee until after he has made his attacks.  This means you don't have to activate the Loonboss as your first unit when he is in combat and he will generally be safe from attacks until he has attacked the enemy and then ran away.  It makes him a very annoying unit for your opponent to pin down and just feels like the sneaky sort of thing a boss grot would do.

1 hour ago, svnvaldez said:

If you built your army around 60 stabbas, 2 units of squig battleline (either min or max unit sized hoppers/herds), 30 bounders (15x2 or 10x3), a unit of snufflers, and 1 loonboss on mangler I think you'll be fine.

Only real issue with Gloomspite imo is it costs a lot of $$$ and isn't top tier auto win. Age of sigmar is not the kind of game where $$$ equals power.

I would be wary about going very heavy into Bounders unless you are planning to collect a fair sized Gloomspite force.  The Bounders are quite an amazing unit, but they also feel like the main unit that is potentially undercosted within the army (ignore external comparisons).  If there was a single unit in the army that I would not be surprised to see get bumped upwards in cost in the next GHB it is the Bounders.  I would simply be aware of that going in.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I would be wary about going very heavy into Bounders unless you are planning to collect a fair sized Gloomspite force.  The Bounders are quite an amazing unit, but they also feel like the main unit that is potentially undercosted within the army (ignore external comparisons).  If there was a single unit in the army that I would not be surprised to see get bumped upwards in cost in the next GHB it is the Bounders.  I would simply be aware of that going in.

I agree with this and it is definitely worth noting before buying 30.

56 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

My current personal favorite for a Loonboss on Mangler with the Fight Another Day ability is the Doppelganger Cloak from the Realm of Ulgu.  It synergizes with the command trait extremely well since it does not allow the opponent to target the bearer in melee until after he has made his attacks.  This means you don't have to activate the Loonboss as your first unit when he is in combat and he will generally be safe from attacks until he has attacked the enemy and then ran away.  It makes him a very annoying unit for your opponent to pin down and just feels like the sneaky sort of thing a boss grot would do.

That's just... mean. Basically from what I just read the only way I would actually get attacked back is if I couldn't make the Fight Another Day move (from rolling two low, or getting surrounded in a way where I can't end my move 3 away). That is insane... I'm totally using it!

14 minutes ago, CitizenX said:

That's just... mean. Basically from what I just read the only way I would actually get attacked back is if I couldn't make the Fight Another Day move (from rolling two low, or getting surrounded in a way where I can't end my move 3 away). That is insane... I'm totally using it!

You could also be attacked if you had already made your Fight Another Day move and you were still in pile-in range for another enemy unit that had not activated yet (beware 6" pile-in abilities).

One thing that I have not looked into is how this artifact works when the only unit an opponent can activate to attack with is the one engaged with the bearer of the artifact.  If they bearer had not made his attacks yet does the enemy in that case get to make attacks or do they have to activate and simply lose attacks since they cannot target the bearer.  Just reading the rules for the artifact it seems like the answer would be that they just lose the attacks since the artifact does not prevent the unit from activating but simply from making any attacks against the bearer.  But I have not looked for any clarifications around this and so that could be incorrect.

But yes, it is altogether a pretty mean and annoying combo.  It would certainly be somewhat annoying to play against, but I don't think it is so completely terrible that it would make for an extremely negative experience.  There are still much worse things to face in the game.  To me it also just really fits the sneaky underhanded cowardly tactics of Moonclan Grots very well.  This guy is simply going to repeatedly surprise attack units by crashing into them and bouncing off to safety and then repeating the trick.

Edited by Skabnoze

7 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

One thing that I have not looked into is how this artifact works when the only unit an opponent can activate to attack with is the one engaged with the bearer of the artifact.  If they bearer had not made his attacks yet does the enemy in that case get to make attacks or do they have to activate and simply lose attacks since they cannot target the bearer.  Just reading the rules for the artifact it seems like the answer would be that they just lose the attacks since the artifact does not prevent the unit from activating but simply from making any attacks against the bearer.  But I have not looked for any clarifications around this and so that could be incorrect.

Yeah, they still have to select a unit then lose the attacks.  It's incredibly powerful, which is why it was nerfed to once per game.  Still very viable though.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah, they still have to select a unit then lose the attacks.  It's incredibly powerful, which is why it was nerfed to once per game.  Still very viable though.

I had not looked at the errata that made this once per game.  That is quite a change.  But even at once per game it feels like it would still be worthwhile in combination with Fight Another Day.   

• Like 1

Gonna post this again since I never got an answer, how viable is a list like this:

60 stabbas

60 stabbas

loon boss

caster if some sort, I like the malign portents one

moon shrine

???/1000 points since I have no idea what pts costs are for this army 

It’s got a lot of models and I can’t imagine them easily being removed haha, it’s an unending horde with the moon shrine but should I run less gobbos (like two units of 40) and run another unit to support? Any tips are welcome 

Just now, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

Gonna post this again since I never got an answer, how viable is a list like this:

60 stabbas

60 stabbas

loon boss

caster if some sort, I like the malign portents one

moon shrine

???/1000 points since I have no idea what pts costs are for this army 

It’s got a lot of models and I can’t imagine them easily being removed haha, it’s an unending horde with the moon shrine but should I run less gobbos (like two units of 40) and run another unit to support? Any tips are welcome 

The points for this are going to be about 790 without including the caster.

I think this is a perfectly fine base for a list.  This starts you in the direction of a Skulkmob Horde battalion if you want to go that direction.  In my opinion it is certainly worth considering if you choose to continue building the list in order to put combat buffs onto the Stabba units - such as with Snufflers & Sporesplatta Fanatics.

Grots are not a bad unit to build around in the Gloomspite army and the army really seems designed with grots as the focal unit since they can be chosen for the majority of buffs.

• Like 1

speaking of grot tactic, I mulled around the uses of Itchy nuisance and from one of the FAQ post I believe it can be use against Grisalgore Ghoul King and on your turn at least you can prevent him from jumping the battle que and attack twice with it command ability until after all your units have attack.

also I believe Boggleye's spell also does this but last until your next hero phase which is amazing if it weren't for his wholly within range.

and of course both negate High tide

Edited by novakai

31 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

The points for this are going to be about 790 without including the caster.

I think this is a perfectly fine base for a list.  This starts you in the direction of a Skulkmob Horde battalion if you want to go that direction.  In my opinion it is certainly worth considering if you choose to continue building the list in order to put combat buffs onto the Stabba units - such as with Snufflers & Sporesplatta Fanatics.

Grots are not a bad unit to build around in the Gloomspite army and the army really seems designed with grots as the focal unit since they can be chosen for the majority of buffs.

Thank you for the quick response, I’ll look into snufflers as plus one attack seems great, and with the loon boss I’ll have mortal wound out put. Is there a decent spell for buffing in either spider fangs lore or the night goblin one?  (Also this list is for a hobby army, they will be kobolds if I go thru with it, my other idea was water nymphs as a sylvaneth force) I wish I could get my hands on the codex before making the decision of which to buy...

hey mates! 

I'll play with the squigs this sunday and this is the list i was thinking about (2k points )

-mangler boss

-fungod shaman

-boss on cave squig

5 herds 

5 herds 

10 hoppers

10 boingrot

10 boingrot 

1 mangler

1 colossal squig 

i think this is around 1760 

what do you would play to fill the list? batallion ? more herds ? 

thanks a lot ! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

Gloomspite seem to have a very nice following of dedicated people! This is the highest page amount for a thread I’ve seen in the small amount of time I’ve had a TGA account

Thats because most of us were hiding away in our caves until the Bad Moon rose and brought us out to the surface.  We shall now usher in the era of the Everdank!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

Thank you for the quick response, I’ll look into snufflers as plus one attack seems great, and with the loon boss I’ll have mortal wound out put. Is there a decent spell for buffing in either spider fangs lore or the night goblin one?  (Also this list is for a hobby army, they will be kobolds if I go thru with it, my other idea was water nymphs as a sylvaneth force) I wish I could get my hands on the codex before making the decision of which to buy...

Sporesplatta Fanatics also have an aura that automatically pulses in your hero phase and grants +1 attack to all moonclan grot units within 12".  This stacks with the Snufflers ability.  The key differences here is that the Snufflers have a targeted buff ability that works on a single moonclan unit and the Sporesplatta Fanatics have an ability that will effect every grot unit that is fully within 12".  Snufflers are cheaper and you can stack their ability multiple times on a single unit if you want - but for every use after the first you will kill a chunk of models in the target unit.  Snufflers also can buff all moonclan and Sporesplatta are restricted only to Grots (but their aura would effect the Loonboss).

Sporesplatta fanatics also block line-of-sight across the unit (except to/from flyers) and they strike first in combat before any other unit in the same way as the traditional Loonsmasha Fanatics unit does.

If you are going to be using a core of Stabbas and buffing for mortal wounds with "I'm da Boss now stab em good" then it is worth considering both +1 attack buffs.

38 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

Is there a decent spell for buffing in either spider fangs lore or the night goblin one? 

No, the main buff spells available to either Moonclan or Spiderfang are the ones directly on the wizard warscrolls.  Both spell lores are concentrated around utility, enemy debuffs, and direct damage.  The Moonclan lore has only 1 direct unit buff spell and it is the Squig Lure spell that lets d3 squig units run & charge.  

That said, both spell lores are good and you will certainly want a couple of the available spells depending on how you build your army.

So i had this idea for a while now and i'm actually surprised to not see an official mixed order topic on the forum yet, but I was thinking of some lists including Gordrakk for mixed destruction. My first list is super alpha strikey, but probably has some crazy damaging potential.  It does sadly lack enough heroes to fill out all the artefacts, but it does deploy Gordrakk well within the mixture. Let me know what you think and i'm curious to some more of these mixed lists as well!

Allegiance: Destruction
Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales

Gordrakk, the Fist of Gork (580)

Battlelines
10 x Orruks (80)
10 x Orruks (80)
10 x Orruks (80)

Behemoths: 
Mangler Squigs
(240)

Units:
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)
Squigalanche (90)

Total: 1990/ 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Extra CP: 2
Wounds: 109

Explanation:
Obviously this list will be rather fast and hopefully hard hitting. With the destruction allegiance abilities and ravager, we can boost the speed a bit. The Boingrot Bounderz will benefit from re-rolls on their movements if needed. Sadly we can't benefit from the Squiqalanche ability since there won't be a bad moon, but it does pull both the mangler squigs and Loonboss on mangler squigs in a battalion to benefit from Gordrakk's Voice of Gork ability. Now I am hesitating to get rid of the Squigalanche altogether, put the Manglers in the Squig Stampede and run the Loonboss on Mangler Squig Seperate. Sadly that would mean no Voice of Gork for him, which means that he would have a hard time keeping up with the list. Alternatively I could include something like a Fungoid Cave-Shaman in there and generate some extra CP for the list. Let me know if you know of some improvements to the list, I would love to make this work!

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

49 minutes ago, That Guy said:

So i had this idea for a while now and i'm actually surprised to not see an official mixed order topic on the forum yet, but I was thinking of some lists including Gordrakk for mixed destruction. 

I guess you mean Mixed Destruction topic?  There actually is a thread for that on here:

• Thanks 1