AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

10 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I've just looked them up but can't seem to find out how many trays you get for your money.  For example I put in 5 slot staggered 25mm and it says $4.65, but how many trays do I get for $4.65 - 10, 5, 1? If they're that expensive I may just end up making my own.

One for 4.65 sounds about right.

3 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

I always ask myself what is the comparative advantage of the army (what do we do well that other books cant). My take a ways are -1 to hit, only army that can field units of 60, can be 1 drop.

Part of me wants to build around this but I haven't been able to figure this book out yet and there hasn't been much data other than Donal's London Masters list. 

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
20 x Stabbas (130)
20 x Stabbas (130)

Units
15 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (420)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)

Battalions
Skulkmob Horde (160)

Total: 1480 / 2000

I think I would then fill it out with something like this (4 drop):

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Madcap Shaman (80)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
20 x Stabbas (130)
20 x Stabbas (130)

Units
15 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (420)

Battalions
Skulkmob Horde (160)

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000

If you want to stay 1-drop with this vibe, add gobbapooza with battalion and then the moonclan scrap super battalion with a shaman and loonbosses (up to three if you want to use all four artifacts available). Gives three casters so endless spells still useful.  Would have to cut down the big fanatic unit but could manage the 60 grot unit.  I’m not sure this is optimal though as it will lack heavy hitting or survivable heroes...It’s on my list to try out.  Squig super batallion might be the better 1-drop for alphastriking. 

To maximize -1 to hit, in another game recently I used fellwater trolls wrapped with grots between and behind with netters at front between the trolls.  Gives -2 to hit the trolls and -1 on the grots. Our group was very impressed with the overall combo including fanatics at 430 points.  Has big initial punch, staying power, and sustained output from the trolls.  Couldn’t 1-drop around this but maybe 2-drop with skull mob and troggherd but still no spellcasters.  

I think only way to get several spellcasters in a very low drop list is the gobbapalooza or spider fang.

• Like 2

what do we think to this list? I quite like the look of it. 

Skragrott - General - Hand of Gork

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs - Gryph Charm

Madcap Cave Shaman - Moonface Mommet - Itchy Nuisance

40 stabbas

20 Stabbas

20 stabbas

5 Loonsmasha Fanatics

5 Loonsmasha Fanatics

5 Sporesplatta Fanatics

Skulkmob Horde 

10 Boingrot Bounderz

Morks Mighty Mushroom

Scuttletide 

I’ve played a few games with the list I posted ages ago for Throne of Skulls, but however fun Rockgut Troggoths are, they’re just a bit meh (at least in 3’s). This takes the army to a 5 drop list, while keeping some punch and staying someone interesting. Any changes? Fungoid for the madcap is one, but I wanted to make use of the second artefact. Maybe Geminids for Skuttletide but ever time I cast that spell I love it even more. It’s so good. The new books scare the hell out of me, but hopefully we can work out ways to beat them! 

Edited by Matt Large

21 hours ago, Mayple said:

I'd be mostly worried about overcharged ratling guns and warpfire thrower teams, to be honest. They make mockery out of gloomspite units, and have little issue with getting protection from their numerous kin, requiring far more effort to remove than their point value indicates.

Yeah, 70 points for the Warpfire Thrower teams is just madness. 

The importance of allocating output to them is way in excess of what a 70 point unit has any right to expect!

They're almost an argument for bringing in some Shootas, because that little bit of plink damage could be invaluable. 

44 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

They're almost an argument for bringing in some Shootas, because that little bit of plink damage could be invaluable. 

I have not looked at the new Skaven or Flesh Eater books yet, but I wonder if dangerous small units coming back into the game will make units like the Squig Gobba more compelling.  He costs only slightly more than a min unit of Shootas but should be fairly good at killing those types of units.  He can also shoot without line-of-sight.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

35 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I have not looked at the new Skaven or Flesh Eater books yet, but I wonder if dangerous small units coming back into the game will make units like the Squig Gobba more compelling.  He costs only slightly more than a min unit of Shootas but should be fairly good at killing those types of units.  He can also shoot without line-of-sight.  Just a thought.

For sure. Could also ally in the gitmob spear chukka as an alternative.

6 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

It's certainly not a bad suggestion, although I do think it underlines the original point at the same time.  You'll do an average of 3.33 wounds, so just enough to kill one (assuming it's not in cover)...somebody smarter than me can figure out the chances of doing at least 3 wounds, but I don't think it would be much over 60%?  

So you need a 160 point model plus more output from elsewhere to have a reliable chance of killing it...that doesn't make the Gobba a bad suggestion (at all), but I do think it demonstrates how efficient the Warpfire Thrower itself is at 70 points!

Skargrott maybe a bit squishy choice but his range attack seems pretty decent against the Warpfire thrower specifically, he technically needs to do only two damage to each thrower and they die from the mortal wound at the end of the round.

I think there potential in using the moon now, just to mess with your opponent magic phase first turn and it damage could be useful in harming small units like warpthrower 

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

So I’m looking for a hobby army and I’m either making kobolds or water nymphs, and I think y’all can guess what rules I’d be using to mark diminutive goblin sized creatures who hate light! Haha anyways I like hordes so this is a random theory craft list wondering what I should add or take away with it and whther it could even do anything useful lol

60 stabbas 360 pts

60 stabbas 360 pts

Moon shrine 0 pts

so basically this is my base for a horde list since it can realistically be placing 180 stabbas over the course of the game with the recycling effect if everything dies and I have 280 pts left over for my 1000 point list that I’m not sure what to do with since there seems like ALOT of choices for heroes to support and maybe I need to drop some gobbos (although I will NOT go lower then 80 I am open to suggestions within that limit) I also don’t like named characters (just a weird thing of mine)

i only have access to old point values so I don’t know if gloomspite lowered the cost of stabbas, my points may be wrong

Edited by TheadTheOgorSlayer

37 minutes ago, ItzMercy said:

What's the best Arachnorok spider varient... I'm mid building and don't know what to go for?

the Shaman variant is  definitely the go-to option and probably the strongest variant. mainly because it both a strong monster and a spell caster hero

2 hours ago, ItzMercy said:

What's the best Arachnorok spider varient... I'm mid building and don't know what to go for?

There are arguments to be made for all of them, but you will probably find yourself using the Shaman variant in most Spiderfang builds or even broad Gloomspite builds that bring an Arachnarok.  The non-shaman variants feel like they will mainly be used in armies that are taking multiple Arachnaroks - which most pure Spiderfang armies will want to do,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

There are arguments to be made for all of them, but you will probably find yourself using the Shaman variant in most Spiderfang builds or even broad Gloomspite builds that bring an Arachnarok.  The non-shaman variants feel like they will mainly be used in armies that are taking multiple Arachnaroks - which most pure Spiderfang armies will want to do,

Ok, yeah this is a pretty good sum up. 

I've only had limited games so far with the Gloomspite so I'm wondering what other people's experience has been...

When running 60 Stabbas has anyone actually lost a unit? It's great to be able to bring a unit back but from my little experience it didn't look like all 60 were going to go before the game was out, I'm trying to weigh up if it is worth breaking that down to 2 units of 40 and 20? Although you loose some of the buffs there much more manoeuvrability and may actually get a chance to bring back 10 and 20 go boss when we need it. If your running a Shaman with hand of Gork you also get more options what to move and more option to hide fanatics (if you choose them)

Of course if units of 60 can get decimated then for the buffs it would be worth it, how many of you have lost all 60 in the space of 5/6 turns?

Hey team, got a tournament coming up, curious to hear your feedback for 2k

Troggoth Hero - general - Loonskin / Ghyrstrike (+1 to hit and wound)

Loonboss

Gitmob shaman - Allied

60x Gitmob archers - Allied

1 wolf chariot - Allied

60x stabbas (spears)

5x loon smash fanatics

6x sneaky snufflers

20x shootas 

3x fellwater troggoths

6x fellwater troggoths 

1 command point

I know I'm light magic and heavy drops. Dont mind the latter as I like seeing how my opponent deploys.

Gitmob shaman chills with the 60 gitmob archers in the middle for the sneaky stabbing spell. Probably will have 3 trolls hanging around in case

Loonboss, 60 stabbas, snufflers, and fanatics move up. 'I'm the boss' firing with the snufflers for attacks and mortal wounds. Fanatics to screen

Trogboss, 6x fellwater and 20 shoota as the screen move up as well.

Chariot to camp on an objective .

Thoughts?

Edited by Raging_Moose

12 hours ago, ItzMercy said:

The shaman spiders intrinsic spell is so good. Ran the artifact that triggers venom on 5+. Cast spell. Did 14 mortals in one combat. 

I've done the shaman first. (In general gloom spite, slightly squig focused). My second will probably be warparty. Especially since you can just have the howdah removable and run as skitterstrand too.

6 hours ago, TeddyMadeMeDoIt said:

I've only had limited games so far with the Gloomspite so I'm wondering what other people's experience has been...

When running 60 Stabbas has anyone actually lost a unit? It's great to be able to bring a unit back but from my little experience it didn't look like all 60 were going to go before the game was out, I'm trying to weigh up if it is worth breaking that down to 2 units of 40 and 20? Although you loose some of the buffs there much more manoeuvrability and may actually get a chance to bring back 10 and 20 go boss when we need it. If your running a Shaman with hand of Gork you also get more options what to move and more option to hide fanatics (if you choose them)

Of course if units of 60 can get decimated then for the buffs it would be worth it, how many of you have lost all 60 in the space of 5/6 turns?

I play my 60 stabbas very aggressively, either spreading them across the map with hand of gork, or running them up the center in a tight formation with troggoths/troggboss packed inside within 3" from the front line. They usually take a massive beating from everything the enemy can throw at them, but tie them up for at least two turns in return. I inevitably end up with around 10ish left on my third turn, which I often pull back to preserve for another round, while still blocking the opponent. I've rarely felt the need to sacrifice the few remaining gobbos on purpose, with the exception of one tenacious little ****** that refused to die or run. 

The Loonshrine respawn is a bonus, but not something to build or plan around unless you run the battalion that benefits it. 

Stick with 60, or you're paying too many points ;) Downsize at your leizure, but never split.

So I just made an account to ask for advice here on this, but my local store is about to do a Path to Glory and I decided to use my Squigs. Current list is

Loonboss on Mangler Squig (leader)

Trait: Fight Another Day

Fungoid Shaman

Lore: Squig Lore

5x Bounderz

What I am struggling with is what artefact to use. Any suggestions? 

19 minutes ago, CitizenX said:

So I just made an account to ask for advice here on this, but my local store is about to do a Path to Glory and I decided to use my Squigs. Current list is

Loonboss on Mangler Squig (leader)

Trait: Fight Another Day

Fungoid Shaman

Lore: Squig Lore

5x Bounderz

What I am struggling with is what artefact to use. Any suggestions? 

Thermal rider cloak gives some guaranteed movement. It's kind of painful when you roll a 4 for movement or something.

11 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Thank you! The shaman looks great.

13 hours ago, novakai said:

the Shaman variant is  definitely the go-to option and probably the strongest variant. mainly because it both a strong monster and a spell caster hero

Thanks. I think I'm gonna go for this!

1 hour ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

The shaman spiders intrinsic spell is so good. Ran the artifact that triggers venom on 5+. Cast spell. Did 14 mortals in one combat. 

I've done the shaman first. (In general gloom spite, slightly squig focused). My second will probably be warparty. Especially since you can just have the howdah removable and run as skitterstrand too.

My army is a bit of everything except trogoths or gargants, I am going to have a unit of 10 spider riders though which I can use the spell on, thankyou!