AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

48 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I've just looked them up but can't seem to find out how many trays you get for your money.  For example I put in 5 slot staggered 25mm and it says $4.65, but how many trays do I get for $4.65 - 10, 5, 1? If they're that expensive I may just end up making my own.

I’ve searched a bunch of options on websites, eBay (search “movement trays”) and Amazon.  5 model trays tend to be $3 to $5 each, but a new option recently popped up for $2 to $3, and add few bucks for shipping on the lot.  

Consistently cheapest are the Warpath Team bases at $16 for 10 so $1.60 each delivered, which are about 1/4” apart in two ranks, so not optimal for long skirmish lines or ranking but they pile in easily and basically an in between close rank and skirmished.  I couldn’t bring myself to spend the $5 per tray that was the going rate for the other options until recently. 

With current options, I’d probably go with the chain shaped bases spaced 1” apart, as there’s options for $2.50 now and they can be used for optimal skirmish lines and can be easily ranked up in honey comb style.

• Like 1

Event finished :) It was tough as heck, but I managed 5 out of 5 wins, which landed me 2nd place (other guy won five out of five as well, we never got the pleasure) and qualifier for a master tournament next year. 

Troggboss never died. Consistent and awesome. Well worth the points, and a super solid general.

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Event finished :) It was tough as heck, but I managed 5 out of 5 wins, which landed me 2nd place (other guy won five out of five as well, we never got the pleasure) and qualifier for a master tournament next year. 

Troggboss never died. Consistent and awesome. Well worth the points, and a super solid general.

Have you got a list? Been at slaughter this weekend so haven't been keeping up.

18 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Have you got a list? Been at slaughter this weekend so haven't been keeping up.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
- Artefact: Glowy Howzit 
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moonclan Stabba
- Artefact: Gildenbane 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Madcap Shaman (80)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 2x Badmoon Icon Bearers
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

Units
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Endless Spells
Malevolent Moon (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

Was the Oslo gt (Norway) -- 28ish participants :) I don't have a tournament list available, but could compile an overview of faction placings in the top 10 tomorrow if desired ;) 1st place was a Nagash + Grimghast netlist I never got to fight.

• Like 1

@Mayple Ok wow that's a really clever list. Honestly wouldn't have thought of it but it hits all the check boxes. Four heroes for you places of arcane power two of which are a ****** to kill. No waste on the battleline. 20 boingrots.

Only thing I'm not keen on is the 7 drops, personally I aim for 3/4 as it puts you ahead of everything but alphastrike lists.

As a point, slaughter this weekend was being ripped up by fec which loonsmashas ruin! Can see 2/3 blocks of 5 being mandatory if fec does go nuts.

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

@Mayple Ok wow that's a really clever list. Honestly wouldn't have thought of it but it hits all the check boxes. Four heroes for you places of arcane power two of which are a ****** to kill. No waste on the battleline. 20 boingrots.

Only thing I'm not keen on is the 7 drops, personally I aim for 3/4 as it puts you ahead of everything but alphastrike lists.

As a point, slaughter this weekend was being ripped up by fec which loonsmashas ruin! Can see 2/3 blocks of 5 being mandatory if fec does go nuts.

The high amount of drops is a personal preference. I'd go higher if I could, tbh. There's a lot of value in being able to outdeploy the opponent. Deciding first turn is only important if your army can do one or the other, but I found I could safely deal with either case, and countering the opponent via deployment proved very effective and often earned me a strong early lead :)

Loonsmashas are really neat as a detterent. i would be careful of relying on them beyond that.

29 minutes ago, Matt Large said:

Would be interesting to hear from the people who attended Slaughter or any other of the weekends events on how the Gitz performed. 

There were 3 gits players, one of my clubmates took a soft spiderfang army and went 2-3 with it. There was also a Moonclan Grot list and a Squig List present which I believe also went 2-3. 

1628991797_Slaughterpage2.jpg.6e5d26fb65c4c89cae2afbf208a5455c.jpg1066169572_Slaughterpage1.jpg.730337d33fa489782230dc8d47b439b1.jpg

Honestly I think most people don't have the Gits painted up and Fec was just so ridiculously strong that all the FotM players were running that.

10 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Loonsmashas are really neat as a detterent. i would be careful of relying on them beyond that.

Problem is just how bonkers the GKoTG is atm, it has always strikes first and fights again for 1 cp. Combine that with unmod 6s do 6 mortals, reroll failed hits and you have 28 mortals dealt to the Khorne Dragon on the Khorne players turn before it can do anything....

5 Loonsmashas can potentially kill it so with 3 units he's attacking your fanatics then CP to kill another 5 and you STILL get to attack with 5 more. Even better, on your turn the Loonsmashas all attack before the GKoTG so you're throwing 15d6 of their attacks at him. It's honestly bonkers how crazy important being able to shrekt that ****** is.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Well, My first suggestion would be to start playing scenarios rather then straight-up death matches.  The Squig army can be very killy  and thus death matches would favour it.  Playing for objective points completely changes the dichotomy of the battle and the tactics required.  You sit on two objectives with 40 skeletons on each, for example, and he's going to find it very hard to shift you, esp if you keep bringing them back ( after all holding an objective usually requires bodies and even 11 skeletons will beat 10 bounders on that front).  Likewise 30 Freeguild Handgunners holding an objective are also hard to shift with their stand and shoot, hitting and wounding on 2s with -1 rend.  I would say as a group pick two or three of the simpler battleplans to start with, such as Battle for the Pass (GHB) or Blood and Glory (Core Rulebook), and play a few games using these.  AOS is an objectives game and you won't really get to understand your armies if you don't play the scenarios.  Then add more scenarios to the list as you go.  You can add scenery rules and realm rules later if you wish; each of these will add to and sift the balance of each game.  One of the good things about AOS is that you don't have to use all these added complexities for the game to work, but using battleplans is pretty essential as both a balancing function between armies and to allow a variety of play experiences.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get on and if you still have problems dealing with certain units or tactics within the scenario framework, I'm pretty sure someone here will have some good suggestions on how to overcome it.

Bringing up hand gunners, what would happen first in the event of them being charged. Their stand and shoot ability allows them to shoot at the end of the charge move which is the same wording as the Boing! Smash! wording which is at the end of the charge move. In this scenario, would the gunners shoot first or take mortal wounds first?

2 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Bringing up hand gunners, what would happen first in the event of them being charged. Their stand and shoot ability allows them to shoot at the end of the charge move which is the same wording as the Boing! Smash! wording which is at the end of the charge move. In this scenario, would the gunners shoot first or take mortal wounds first?

Needs an FAQ. The wordings aren't the same but have similar meanings so it depends on how you interpret them.

Handgunners - "If an enemy ends it's charge move..."
Boingrots - "After this unit has made a charge move..."

The question is then one of semantics over the handgunners reading, one reading is.

• Unit states it will try to charge.
  • Unit rolls the dice.
  • Unit starts to make the charge move.
  • Unit makes the charge move.
  • Unit ends the charge move.
  • Unit has finished making it's charge move.

So in this case the handgunners would trigger on the move ending step where as the boingrots would trigger in the finished because they go "after" the move ending rather than when the move ends.

The other reading is that the two triggers are the same, in that case the boingrots would go because it's always going to be their turn when they charge.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I believe in cases like that it’s the player whose turn it is who choses the order so your bounders would mortal wound first. 

Top 3 slaughter lists are on AOS shorts.

https://aosshorts.com/sheffield-slaughter-2019-review-and-results/

Thought experiment for you guys. If you were going to play a 3 game event. Play one of the top 3 each round (assume 2 standard missions like boarder war and 1 Duality/3 places of power). What would you take.

I’d love to hear your ideas.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Both happen at the same time.  In the Core Rulebook  under Warscrolls (page 238), it says "If both players want to use abilities at the same time, the player whose turn is taking place uses their ability first, followed by their opponent".  So in this instance, the Bounders would go first, then the Handgunners.  But the Bounders would on average kill 5, which would still leave 25 shots coming back and on 2s and 2s with -1 rend should still kill roughly 6 back.  If the gunners are part of a Great Company with supporting missile troops then they should be able finish the rest off in the charge phase before the Bounders get to actually fight.  So with the right tactics you can even up the odds.

3 hours ago, novakai said:

@Mayple Congratulations, Curious how many times did your Troggboss ate the Glowy Howzit :) 

Only once :D

I also rolled a disgusting series of dice where he saved 8 of 9 mortal wounds, statistics be damned. Whenever he took any damage he would either bounce half of them off, or heal them back up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, svnvaldez said:

Top 3 slaughter lists are on AOS shorts.

https://aosshorts.com/sheffield-slaughter-2019-review-and-results/

Thought experiment for you guys. If you were going to play a 3 game event. Play one of the top 3 each round (assume 2 standard missions like boarder war and 1 Duality/3 places of power). What would you take.

I’d love to hear your ideas.

So it's important to note that the Idoneth list isn't actually the "top list" you would face in a tournament, he got 3rd because of soft scores. For pure gaming scores 3rd would be a LoN list.

Taking that into account, the idea behind that Tzaangor List is to rush across the board using massive movement values in order to pin you in your deployment zone while he wins the game. Oh and it minces stuff.

So to deal with that you would need to be less than 8 drops (to guarentee you have first) and be able to Hand of Gork 60 grots across the board, be able to stack -hit in melee and cover board space to prevent teleporting/flying.

That implies 2 big units of stabbas (to lock up the board), a hag, geminids and probably Scragrot with the Cauldron (at least). ~1,390.

Against the FeC you need to be able to mortal the ****** out of the terrorgheist and/or blow it up. So 2 units of Loonsmasha fanatics putting you at ~1,700 with 6 drops and still needing a battleline.

Add in another 20 Grots and take the Mushroom (to deal with LoN) for 7 drops and 2k points.

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
Troggoth Hag (380)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
40 x Stabbas (260)
40 x Stabbas (260)

Units

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 1930 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 172

Ish, maybe...

Honestly there are so many ways you could attempt to play it which would depend wildly on scenario and really requires far more play testing. As an example, this list falls over against skaven so hard which is one of the big boys at the moment.

The only thing I would say is mandatory is one big unit of 60 Grots which you can hand of gork and you ideally want to be at around 3/4 drops. Other than that there just isn't enough data out there to say what is right/wrong and as an example, my Ironjawz list worked so much better with Jade Diadem on my Ironclad Cabbage than with Daubing of Mork. That's a tiny minor change and it made a large difference. 

FeC has one list which is OP as sin, people have worked out how to play BoC, LoN, Idoneth, DoK etc. Skaven and Gloomspite have to many options to be properly worked out right now.

EDIT: The absolute best example of this would be so crazy tech like Beastcallers Bones/Dopplegangers on a dankhold just to let you blow the GKoTG up.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malakree said:

As an example, this list falls over against skaven so hard which is one of the big boys at the moment.

I really can't think where to start against Skaven.  They detonate 60-blocks of Grots with ease.  They don't care about minuses To Hit...Hit rolls are for lesser books!  If you or anyone else has an idea how to stop them going through us like a dose of the salts, I'm all ears!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

I really can't think where to start against Skaven.  They detonate 60-blocks of Grots with ease.  They don't care about minuses To Hit...Hit rolls are for lesser books!  If you or anyone else has an idea how to stop them going through us like a dose of the salts, I'm all ears!

LoS blocking vs the cannons to protect key stuff early is pretty key. After that it's about drawing them out in suboptimal ways, who gives a damn if they evaporate 60 grots if you then get to retaliate with the stuff that matters.

Hell pit is brutal, till it's wounded. 
Cannons can be vicious, need LoS.
Bell requires clanrats to push.
Endless spell is evil, if only we had 2 ways to counter it  :D 
etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

What type of skaven, specifically? Sounds like you're having issues versus Skryre, but clarity is always good.

Nah purely theoryhammer on my part @Mayple

Obviously want to be as prepared as possible for when I start facing them though... so I'm interested in hearing how other people would approach it.

The parts of the book that stand out to me as difficult to deal with for GG in particular are:

Thanquol: deletes hordes, doesn't care about To Hit rolls

Verminlord Corruptor: deletes hordes, doesn't care about To Hit rolls, only has to tag one model to blow up the whole unit, can Skitterleap into range for that, has access to Arcane terrain

Verminlord Warpseer: functionally invincible, grants wide-ranging immunity to Battleshock

Warp Lightening Cannon: can delete our Heroes, and thereby remove our Battleshock immunity (away from the rock) in a way we can't do to them

Jezzails: can Skitterleap into position for LOS and delete our Heroes, and thereby remove our Battleshock immunity (away from the rock)

There's probably more, but that's a few things off the top of my head that I believe will make this a bad matchup for GG.

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 2

@PlasticCraic

- Thanquol is the bane of hordes. Not much to do outside of a troggherd there ;) 8" range gives a lot of room to maneuver around though. Fanatics or Bounderz to the face?

-  Corruptor has a very short range on that spell. If he wants to bait himself into getting blown up in a  trade with half a unit of goblins, that sounds like a great deal.

- Warpseer is only tanky against things without rend. Threaten him and he'll toss away his re-roll for the all-too-tempting D6 mortal wounds output. Mangler, Bounderz, Fanatics, and units with similar output will eat him for breakfast with room to spare. Mind the spell though.

- 24" range and LoS reliance on the warplightning cannon has always been it's biggest weakness. Bigger output than before, but otherwise just as simple to play around. More likely to kill itself than before, meaning you'll want to bait it into doing that.

- Jezzails are super expensive. If they feel like skitterleaping for the sole purpose of a chance at killing a tiny goblin leader, that's a trade that favours the gitz. 

I'd be mostly worried about overcharged ratling guns and warpfire thrower teams, to be honest. They make mockery out of gloomspite units, and have little issue with getting protection from their numerous kin, requiring far more effort to remove than their point value indicates.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Warp Lightening Cannon: can delete our Heroes, and thereby remove our Battleshock immunity (away from the rock) in a way we can't do to them

Fungoid with ignix scales and laugh 9 points with two 4++ against mortals. If a warp lightning cannon overcharged for 12 mortals it shouldn't kill him, throw in mystical for a real laugh!

2 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Can you use a squig gobba? Good range and good damage output for cannons etc. and gets +1 to hit against hordes. Also doesn't need LOS and ignores cover?

Edited by Saxon
  • Like 2

there also that realm artifact from shadow that once per battle makes your hero untargetable from range attack during your opponents shooting phase. could be good against skitterleap shooting units

Lens of refraction could be useful in negating damage except maybe against the quad warpthrower

• Like 2

I always ask myself what is the comparative advantage of the army (what do we do well that other books cant). My take a ways are -1 to hit, only army that can field units of 60, can be 1 drop.

Part of me wants to build around this but I haven't been able to figure this book out yet and there hasn't been much data other than Donal's London Masters list. 

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
20 x Stabbas (130)
20 x Stabbas (130)

Units
15 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (420)

Battalions