AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

2 minutes ago, TailoredTackle said:

Yeah I get the break out, so your keeping the splattas  behind the unit for the +1 attacks? For 140 I feel like I have to keep them uprfront so they can use the screening ability. But then they just get shot off by T1/T2 with a 6+ save 1 wound. Assume it would be cheaper to just use 2x snufflers for the same buff purpose.

Snufflers can’t move and the splattas can.  That was my justification.  And 9/10 they are in the back of the unit hiding.  

Has anyone actually regenerated a 60 stabbas with the loonshrine? Maybe 40?

I feel like the buffs are too great to justify less than 60, but over the last year of playing grots under destruction I have never fully lost a 60 man tarpit. Especially now that regen is a thing with them, I doubt my opponent will do their best to expunge the unit.

Planning on using a unit of 20 to hand of gork some fanatics and have both units Kamikaze on elites in the back. Regen doesn’t really matter for 10 back but maybe it would if a unit of 40 got knocked out, I could bring back 20 and hopefully hand of gork them again around T4/T5 to contest an objective.

6 minutes ago, williegoat said:

Snufflers can’t move and the splattas can.  That was my justification.  And 9/10 they are in the back of the unit hiding.  

My god I didn’t read the snufflers correctly.  So glad I didn’t prioritize painting them up this week. Thank you! Yeah totally aligned on hiding splattas in the back. Big ups man

On 2/19/2019 at 12:18 PM, Professor Clio said:

Battleline
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
24 x Squig Herd (280)
Units
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)

I like it! But something you should think about is the 9” hand of gork distance. If I am taking squigs-only the herd is the best for the job because they can reroll charge. However, re-rolling for a 9 is still pretty tough. What I am trying out this week (not proven) is sending over 20 stabbas with the fanatics hidden. 9” out on movement, but in the charge phase the fanatics get 3” deployment from the stabbas, making your charge roll only 6”. I think I would take a 6” charge over re rollable 9”. Especially if the army is not snooty, because even if you fail the 6” charge they still get to fight first if opponents not shooty (your dead next turn otherwise). Both combos cost 280 points and are pretty similar in damage output, but I think the dice gods would favor the fanatic approach for getting a +7 spell and a 6” charge off on the same unit in the same turn.

That being said the type of unit your going after factors in. If your going for a mid wound count hero/general in the 7 wound range, the 5 fanatics will definitely get the job done if they make it in T1. Then they will all die. If your going after a monster or mount, the 24 squigs at 48 wounds is probably a better bet because they can widdle it down and hit mortals on flees without damaging your units. 

Another thing to mention is those tiny 25mm bases help get 24 models (48 wounds) inside of the 24” range if you were moving them around in T1/T2 Because you missed the +7 cast. A lot easier corral than the 40 stabbas (40 wounds) which would take up twice the space. Definitely doable but less flexible. The 20 stabbas / fanatics combo would be just as easy as the squigs, but you don’t have the luxury of moving them forward after some missed casts because you really don’t want to risk losing the fanatics.

Edited by TailoredTackle
Additional info
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 3:55 PM, RaritanAnon said:

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. This is my list so far. I'm missing a hero to put an artifact on, and 370 points. 

I like Loonboss on Cave Squig if you have an extra slot on this type of list because he can add 3” to your rerollable moves. He is out of stock (as always 😪) but wasn’t for a couple days this week so I got lucky.

He’s good here because that +3” on a re-rollable 3D6 on the hoppers gives you a really good chance at leaping over units that are locked in through multiple turns.

Not the best model to give artefacts to but you could throw on Clammy Cowl for -1 to hit if your going all in on leaping the hoppers to keep him alive or throw on Rock Jaw since your in Ghur to give him an 8” shot. He’s running up the table will probably hit that range if alive on T2.

What I think he’s most useful for though is inspiring presence. He can keep up with a hopper/bounder charge on one side of the table so you can split up the cavalry with the Loonboss on Mangler directed at another objective and effectively mitigate against battelshock. Otherwise you have to keep everything around the Loonboss mangler in the center or just say ****** it to battleshock if you split since none of the other hero’s can catch up.

Definitely add another caster for the unbind alone, you’re gonna run into magic heavy no matter what. I agree with you on the Mighty Mork and Itchy Nuisance. I would even go so far as adding 2 wizards so you can hand of gork the herds onto objectives and keep your cavalry focused on battleline. But Itchy Nuissance is more helpful for this list. Might as well make one of them another Fungoid if you have the 10 points for 2x chance at extra CP. You’re gonna need it for all the battle shock.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for either direct products or suggested spacing for movement trays for our monsterous 60 model stabba units?  Finally got to play my first game in our escalation league and decided somehow that 1 60 model unit was WAY worse than 2x30 model units or 3x20 model units I had in 40k.

I was thinking of looking for something in the 5 per tray, and in between base to base contact and max spread.  (trying to balance board coverage but still get good pile in numbers when it's Go time.)

• Like 1

I second this ^. I bought some of those circular wood trays that do 10 and 20 in horizontal rows, but because they are 10 wide its literally impossible to move 60 man unit across the board with terrain. probably better off using like an old fantasy square tray so I can keep them piled in like a ball but still no idea. Also would love a recommendation.

15 minutes ago, TailoredTackle said:

I second this ^. I bought some of those circular wood trays that do 10 and 20 in horizontal rows, but because they are 10 wide its literally impossible to move 60 man unit across the board with terrain. probably better off using like an old fantasy square tray so I can keep them piled in like a ball but still no idea. Also would love a recommendation.

You could always cut them in half.

1 hour ago, TailoredTackle said:

What I was looking at, you could get either 7 model hex shapes, or 5 model, with row of 3 and 2.  So they're still sort of blobbed up, which is good.  Just didn't know if anyone had any good brands, but they both had different model to model spacing.

4 hours ago, Professor Clio said:

Got to test my 1k list against DoK. I failed sooooo many casting rolls. Hopefully all the bad luck is purged out of those dice and I do better tomorrow because if I'd been able to to thin out those hordes with magic before they got to me things would have been less painful. 

IMG_20190222_150825384.jpg

Can you link your list? What spells were you casting? Or trying to cast?

I played a 1.2k match Vs tzeentch.

My army consisted of gen- skragrott casting call da moon, loonboss on mangler with loon stone Tal, Fungoid casting squig lure, two small units of squigs for battleline, two small groups of boingrots and Morks mushroom. Pictures shows turn 3 my units were very slow but I managed to get a few casts off, failed to cast the mushroom. The MVP was the mangler with loon boss followed up by skargrott. The mangler hit very hard and took out most of the cannon fodder units and skragrott sniped his characters at the back.

IMG_20190220_202757.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nickmoss90 said:

Can you link your list? What spells were you casting? Or trying to cast?

Fungoid (general, hand of gorked)

Shaman (great green spite)

Loonboss 

40 stabbas

24 sguigs

5 fanatics

Morks mighty mushroom

1k on the nose

And every single casting roll failed first 2 turns. I really needed the mushroom to go off to thin the herd of witches coming at me. 

On 2/19/2019 at 3:18 PM, Professor Clio said:

I’m taking the gitz to a small 1k point tournament this weekend. It’s going to be on 4x4 boards and I know there’s going to be horde lists, DoK and plague monks, amongst other things.  I think I’ve settled on this list:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Loonboss (70)
- General
- Artefact: Spiteful Prodder  
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Battleline
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
24 x Squig Herd (280)

Units
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)

Endless Spells
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 106

the plan is to hand of gork the squigs into the enemy’s backfield and use the grots as a tar pit in the mid board. Then cast the mushroom where it’ll do the most damage and try to snipe characters with the green spite and the spiteful prodded. Use the fanatics to delay charges.  

Tournament went well. Went 2-1. 2 major wins against Legion of nagash and flesh eater court, both on the back of hand of gork mouvement shenanigans. I love that spell. Both times the fanatics wrecked face too. Once killing 16 ghouls, once taking 9 wounds off Arkhan. 

The loss was against stormcast when I failed to cast a single spell over 3 turns. I don't think I've ever rolled this bad before!

All in all a fun day of gaming. 

3 hours ago, Professor Clio said:

Tournament went well. Went 2-1. 2 major wins against Legion of nagash and flesh eater court, both on the back of hand of gork mouvement shenanigans. I love that spell. Both times the fanatics wrecked face too. Once killing 16 ghouls, once taking 9 wounds off Arkhan. 

The loss was against stormcast when I failed to cast a single spell over 3 turns. I don't think I've ever rolled this bad before!

All in all a fun day of gaming. 

I just played using death against gloomspite. There is nothing fun about playing gloomspite. Loon boss teleported and one shotted arkan. Those boingrot bounders wrecked everything. 

I think our group is going to refuse to play them until they nerf them. 

24 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I just played using death against gloomspite. There is nothing fun about playing gloomspite. Loon boss teleported and one shotted arkan. Those boingrot bounders wrecked everything. 

A loonboss one shotted Arkhan? I assume you mean the 300 point one on mangler, not the 70 point base one. Yeah that can happen, but to do that on the teleport he had to make a 9 inch charge and roll well on his damage, there's lots of things that can do that. Bounders, yes, are probably slightly undercosted.

That said I had neither of those units in my list so I dont know why you're singling me out like that....

In my experience there's other armies that are way more broken. I won't name them because this isnt the thread for that and I dont want to start a flame war :)

Edited by Professor Clio
  • Like 1

Just now, Professor Clio said:

A loonboss one shotted Arkhan? I assume you mean the 300 point one on mangler, not the 70 point base one. Yeah that can happen, but to do that on the teleport he had to make a 9 inch charge and roll above average on his damage, there's lots of things that can do that. Bounders, yes, are probably slightly undercosted.

That said I had neither of those units in my list so I dont know why you're singling me out like that....

Yeh the big one. It dishes a lot of damage. Being able to teleport a monster killer like this into the backline is really good. 

Bounders in units of 10 average 5 mortal wounds per charge it's pretty impressive.

I'm not singling you out sorry I commented don my phone and hit quote not reply.

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

You'd better get ready to refuse to play against Skaven and FEC then, and the BoK when their new book comes out.  Isn't it more fun to work out some tactics, or try a different list, for the next time, than just refuse to play after one battle?  Did people refuse to play your Death when their book came out?  Each new Battletome will have it's time in the sun and then people will begin to work out it's strengths and weaknesses, and eventually it will come down to join the others. Nerfing is rarely the answer.

39 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

You'd better get ready to refuse to play against Skaven and FEC then, and the BoK when their new book comes out.  Isn't it more fun to work out some tactics, or try a different list, for the next time, than just refuse to play after one battle?  Did people refuse to play your Death when their book came out?  Each new Battletome will have it's time in the sun and then people will begin to work out it's strengths and weaknesses, and eventually it will come down to join the others. Nerfing is rarely the answer.

Well in the last few weeks no one has come close to beating the Gitz. To give context this list uses a loon boss in a mangler, a minimum of 20 those nasty biongrotz bounders, a squiggling gooba and colossal squids. Its a great list. I'm cool with losing i lose a lot but this list with its tricks and bonuses is above and beyond. 

I feel like the weaknesses of the old globing have replay been accounted for with this new release. I would like to beat it tactically but my bank account disagrees haha!

Edited by Saxon

7 hours ago, Saxon said:

Well in the last few weeks no one has come close to beating the Gitz. To give context this list uses a loon boss in a mangler, a minimum of 20 those nasty biongrotz bounders, a squiggling gooba and colossal squids. Its a great list. I'm cool with losing i lose a lot but this list with its tricks and bonuses is above and beyond. 

I feel like the weaknesses of the old globing have replay been accounted for with this new release. I would like to beat it tactically but my bank account disagrees haha!

I agree that changing lists does often mean adding to your existing collection and I'm not denying some of us have a fairly small budget.  I'm not saying it's easy, just that it's a more satisfying answer to work out how to beat an army than it is to refuse to play it.  What other armies have lost to the Squig horde so far in your group?  Doe he tend to use the same tactics most of the time?  Is he weak in an area such as magic?  Perhaps picking certain scenarios would give a more even contest.  Does your group allow proxying in order to try out different units before buying?   I'm not sure what the answer will be, but I'm sure there is an answer that doesn't involve refusing to play.  Of course the answer may just be someone in your group also plays Skaven, or FOC, or BoK, in which case your local meta will change anyway - then all you have to do is find a way to beat them :).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I agree that changing lists does often mean adding to your existing collection and I'm not denying some of us have a fairly small budget.  I'm not saying it's easy, just that it's a more satisfying answer to work out how to beat an army than it is to refuse to play it.  What other armies have lost to the Squig horde so far in your group?  Doe he tend to use the same tactics most of the time?  Is he weak in an area such as magic?  Perhaps picking certain scenarios would give a more even contest.  Does your group allow proxying in order to try out different units before buying?   I'm not sure what the answer will be, but I'm sure there is an answer that doesn't involve refusing to play.  Of course the answer may just be someone in your group also plays Skaven, or FOC, or BoK, in which case your local meta will change anyway - then all you have to do is find a way to beat them :).

Further clarification is that we're playing straight up death matches while we all get used to new armies. The other armies we have are night haunt, free guild (no chance), Khorne, stormcast and Flesh Eaters. Objective games could be better. 

I'm trying to build my death up to compete with it (only played 3 or 4 games with it), currently painting a thousand skeletons is taking a while!

There are several reasons we're all getting smashed. Those boingrots wreck everything. 10 of them is only 200 points and the mortal wound output is extremely generous. There are also 4 rending attacks after the mortals are dished out and they move fast. I feel he's got the synergy right because we can't focus on the boingrots or the colossal squig and the loon boss on a mangler go nuts. It's an extremely fast, offensive army with a lot of hammers to deal with at once so the tactics are basic. He also has the Skraggott which is a great unit for 220 points. 2 spells and a dangerous shooting attack with latent wounds. The 2k list also has 2 battalions so starts with 3 command points and 3 artefacts. I'll have to get him to send the list to me in full so people here can look at it. 

It's not so much refusing to play, more the games are not close enough to warrant continuing to play the squig army so not much is learned and it's rather demoralising watching game after game of the same thing. I can't say i've ever come up against an army that is so brutal to figure out. 

38 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Further clarification is that we're playing straight up death matches while we all get used to new armies. The other armies we have are night haunt, free guild (no chance), Khorne, stormcast and Flesh Eaters. Objective games could be better. 

I'm trying to build my death up to compete with it (only played 3 or 4 games with it), currently painting a thousand skeletons is taking a while!

There are several reasons we're all getting smashed. Those boingrots wreck everything. 10 of them is only 200 points and the mortal wound output is extremely generous. There are also 4 rending attacks after the mortals are dished out and they move fast. I feel he's got the synergy right because we can't focus on the boingrots or the colossal squig and the loon boss on a mangler go nuts. It's an extremely fast, offensive army with a lot of hammers to deal with at once so the tactics are basic. He also has the Skraggott which is a great unit for 220 points. 2 spells and a dangerous shooting attack with latent wounds. The 2k list also has 2 battalions so starts with 3 command points and 3 artefacts. I'll have to get him to send the list to me in full so people here can look at it. 

It's not so much refusing to play, more the games are not close enough to warrant continuing to play the squig army so not much is learned and it's rather demoralising watching game after game of the same thing. I can't say i've ever come up against an army that is so brutal to figure out. 

Well, My first suggestion would be to start playing scenarios rather then straight-up death matches.  The Squig army can be very killy  and thus death matches would favour it.  Playing for objective points completely changes the dichotomy of the battle and the tactics required.  You sit on two objectives with 40 skeletons on each, for example, and he's going to find it very hard to shift you, esp if you keep bringing them back ( after all holding an objective usually requires bodies and even 11 skeletons will beat 10 bounders on that front).  Likewise 30 Freeguild Handgunners holding an objective are also hard to shift with their stand and shoot, hitting and wounding on 2s with -1 rend.  I would say as a group pick two or three of the simpler battleplans to start with, such as Battle for the Pass (GHB) or Blood and Glory (Core Rulebook), and play a few games using these.  AOS is an objectives game and you won't really get to understand your armies if you don't play the scenarios.  Then add more scenarios to the list as you go.  You can add scenery rules and realm rules later if you wish; each of these will add to and sift the balance of each game.  One of the good things about AOS is that you don't have to use all these added complexities for the game to work, but using battleplans is pretty essential as both a balancing function between armies and to allow a variety of play experiences.

I hope this helps.  Let us know how you get on and if you still have problems dealing with certain units or tactics within the scenario framework, I'm pretty sure someone here will have some good suggestions on how to overcome it.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:48 AM, InfernalStone said:

Also, anyone have any suggestions for either direct products or suggested spacing for movement trays for our monsterous 60 model stabba units?  Finally got to play my first game in our escalation league and decided somehow that 1 60 model unit was WAY worse than 2x30 model units or 3x20 model units I had in 40k.

I was thinking of looking for something in the 5 per tray, and in between base to base contact and max spread.  (trying to balance board coverage but still get good pile in numbers when it's Go time.)

I like the Tectonic Studios movement trays. They have linear, skirmish and pile in movement trays. I use the skirmish regularly and have been eying some 10 unit pile in trays for the stabbas.

49 minutes ago, Sactownbri said:

I like the Tectonic Studios movement trays. They have linear, skirmish and pile in movement trays. I use the skirmish regularly and have been eying some 10 unit pile in trays for the stabbas.

I've just looked them up but can't seem to find out how many trays you get for your money.  For example I put in 5 slot staggered 25mm and it says $4.65, but how many trays do I get for $4.65 - 10, 5, 1? If they're that expensive I may just end up making my own.