AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Hey all!

Gutbusters player here, looking to start up a second force. Planning out 1000 points of Gloomspite to start and I’m looking for critiques before I pick anything up. 

Not going for a hard theme, instead going for a mix — trying to include some solid objective anchors as well as some speedier elements.

Heroes:

Loonboss on Giant Cage Squig

Madcap Shaman

Battleline:

40 Stabbas

10 Squig Hoppers

Other:

3 Fellwater Troggoths

10 Boingrot Bounderz

990 Total

• Like 2

Hi all, just wanted to share my list I'll be bringing to the Las Vegas Open in 2 weeks.   Hope to see some of you there.

LEADERS:
70pts        Loonboss
70pts        Loonboss (Aetherquartz brooch)
90pts        Fungoid Cave Shaman    Spell:  Itchy Nuisance
220 pts    Skragrott The Loonking  GENERAL Spell: Hand of Gork

Battleline:
70pts        6 model Squig herd
360pts    Stabbas(pokin spears)
360pts    Stabbas(pokin spears)

Other Units:
200pts    10 Boingrot Bounders
140pts    5 Loonsmasha Fanatics
140pts    5 Loonsmasha Fanatics
120pts    5 Sporesplatta  Fanatics
70pts      6 Sneaky snufflers

Endless Spells:
40pts     Geminids

1950 pts 

• Like 2

Hi! My local store is starting a campain that starts at 750p. Then goes up to 1000p and lastly 1500p 

I have an idé for the 750p. What do you think? Please share any lists (750-1500p) that you have tried with great results! 

-----

750p list. 

- Loonboss on squig 

- 40x stabbas 

- 10x hoppers 

- 10x bounder

-----

And what would you add to make it 1000p? 

Side question. Why do people not use the new trolls?? What are the reason and arguments.

Cheers! 

54 minutes ago, williegoat said:

Hi all, just wanted to share my list I'll be bringing to the Las Vegas Open in 2 weeks.   Hope to see some of you there.

wasn't the LVO cut off date before the Gloomspite release, so the battletome can't be use at the event or at least that what I heard from the Frontline gaming show but I could be mistaken?

28 minutes ago, novakai said:

wasn't the LVO cut off date before the Gloomspite release, so the battletome can't be use at the event or at least that what I heard from the Frontline gaming show but I could be mistaken?

That was for 40k. The AOS TO is letting the Gitz book in. 

Played a 2k game against Nurgle Demons Saturday with a mixed grot and squig army.  Couple take aways- big unit of squig herds at 280 points does not seem as good and 20 stabbas with fanatics at 270 points.   The herds’ low bravery of 3 and the MWs caused on 4+ when they flee doesn’t seem as good as it used to be.  Also, really more opprotunities a way get stabbas back.

2 hours ago, DrDemento said:

Played a 2k game against Nurgle Demons Saturday with a mixed grot and squig army.  Couple take aways- big unit of squig herds at 280 points does not seem as good and 20 stabbas with fanatics at 270 points.   The herds’ low bravery of 3 and the MWs caused on 4+ when they flee doesn’t seem as good as it used to be.  Also, really more opprotunities a way get stabbas back.

Were you not able to ignore that low bravery using CPs ?

43 minutes ago, a74xhx said:

Were you not able to ignore that low bravery using CPs ?

I wanted to test the herds 4+ mortal wound on fleeing function (and my fungoid shaman missed his CP rolls).  The fanatics in a grot unit seem to have more devastating damage output and the grots can come back for later game reinforcement via the loonshrine.  I’m sure they are fairly balanced from a mathhamer perspective (2x saves vs. 2x wounds, fanatic wod blowing vs. herd trickling damage) but the fanatics’ psychological and tactical threat might tip the balance for me.  

I just wonder if the herds are now best in the smaller units for cheap battleline and backfield objective / board controllers or screens for manglers, colossal, squig bosses, rather than giant units of suicidal maniacs.  

Granted, only one game data point, so I should try them again to make a more informed decision.  Just an initial impression.

• Like 1

what do you noble gitz think about spore splattas?

Now when i read it correctly, you dont hide them in units (according to aos app). They are basicly invisible if the enemy unit is not a monster or can fly, but if the enemy is able to see them they just simply be erased out of existence before anything happens with 6+ save and 1 wound. Or just get spelled to death which dont require LoS.

+1 attack to stabbas  seems huge but it's wholly within 12". But i think it's good the buff goes off in the hero phase.

So how to use them right with a unit of 60 stabbas to profit from the + attacks?
Be in the front to give the invisible treatment to those stabbas, which i think is very difficult with about 5 models. You cover what, 8,5" in a line max? 
Or be in the middle to at least guarantee the +1 attack? If i imagine correctly you can build a 30,5"x24,5" inch bubble when you place em in the middle, in the front you only have 30,5"x 12,5" bubble which could get wonky with 60 stabbas, dont you think?

My oppinion is, that you place em in the middle of the mob, wait till you are certain you make the charge this turn, profit from the buff in the hero phase and go all wild with your stabbas. With 60 grots its to difficult to keep em in the bubble otherwise and make use of your board presence imo. 

Edited by DerZauberer

2 hours ago, DerZauberer said:

Now when i read it correctly, you dont hide them in units (according to aos app). They are basicly invisible if the enemy unit is not a monster or can fly, but if the enemy is able to see them they just simply be erased out of existence before anything happens with 6+ save and 1 wound. Or just get spelled to death which dont require LoS.

+1 attack to stabbas  seems huge but it's wholly within 12". But i think it's good the buff goes off in the hero phase.

So how to use them right with a unit of 60 stabbas to profit from the + attacks?
Be in the front to give the invisible treatment to those stabbas, which i think is very difficult with about 5 models. You cover what, 8,5" in a line max? 
Or be in the middle to at least guarantee the +1 attack? If i imagine correctly you can build a 30,5"x24,5" inch bubble when you place em in the middle, in the front you only have 30,5"x 12,5" bubble which could get wonky with 60 stabbas, dont you think?

My oppinion is, that you place em in the middle of the mob, wait till you are certain you make the charge this turn, profit from the buff in the hero phase and go all wild with your stabbas. With 60 grots its to difficult to keep em in the bubble otherwise and make use of your board presence imo. 

I really like them. What appeals to me is that if you have a bunch of grots nearby they all get the buff not just one unit. So gobbopalooza the sneaky snufflers and assorted characters will all get the extra attack which can be pretty vicious. Especially on that spare unit of 6 snufflers. 36 attacks just from that buff alone.  

2 hours ago, DerZauberer said:

They are basicly invisible if the enemy unit is not a monster or can fly, but if the enemy is able to see them they just simply be erased out of existence before anything happens with 6+ save and 1 wound. Or just get spelled to death which dont require LoS.

They don't block line of sight to themselves, just models behind them. Good for protecting heroes from being sniped by things which require LoS, remember Arcane Bolt requires it. Additionally they are a buff unit for Grot armies as @Gumbalina said so for those armies they have two strong purposes.

You can have them sit out ahead of the rest of your army to be both charge and shooting blockers. You come up against a Kunnin Rukk etc. and they are forced to burn a whole units worth of shots into 5 sporesplattas.

So I've NEVER built an army before... in any game. ever. 😜 But I've been eyeing AoS for a long time and Gloomspite pushed me way over the edge into actually building something to play. Basically I'm looking to start buying a 2K army with the intent of playing buildup games with friends. This is the list I've come up with.. Mostly built on the rule of cool... Just wondering if there's actual synergy here, or if I'm going to be tripping over myself. (and most importantly.. what to order and start building. CNC super welcome. (please???) Also with the Shrine 0 points.. is it worth just always bringing it? Or is it sort of a hassle to get value out of (in the game.. visually it's amazing, and seems to be a good value.)

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl  
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Troggoth Hag (380)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance

Battleline
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 6x Barbed Nets
- 2x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 2x Badmoon Icon Bearers
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (160)

Endless Spells
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 150

10 hours ago, DrDemento said:

The big unit of squigs is 44 wounds and the 20 stabbas with fanatics is 25 wounds. If you compare 40 stabbas vs. 20 squigs you notice they're about the same points/wound. Beyond that the squigs are slightly faster and slightly more damage unbuffed (run & charge, better attacks, and mortal wounds) while the stabbas are more resilient (nets, better bravery, and coming back).

5 hours ago, DerZauberer said:

I spread my splattas out in a line right behind the 60 stabbas so that I could cover them but not have the splattas in combat. If my stabbas charged I lost the buff on the turn after, but the stabbas usually got charged by something.

4 hours ago, borghe said:

So I've NEVER built an army before... in any game. ever. 😜 But I've been eyeing AoS for a long time and Gloomspite pushed me way over the edge into actually building something to play. Basically I'm looking to start buying a 2K army with the intent of playing buildup games with friends. This is the list I've come up with.. Mostly built on the rule of cool... Just wondering if there's actual synergy here, or if I'm going to be tripping over myself. (and most importantly.. what to order and start building. CNC super welcome. (please???) Also with the Shrine 0 points.. is it worth just always bringing it? Or is it sort of a hassle to get value out of (in the game.. visually it's amazing, and seems to be a good value.)

There is synergy, but not much. It’s a bit of a mismatch of units, but I think is not miles away either. Some thoughts: 20 stabbas (or shootas) are too small to be useful. 60 synergies best with the shrine (which absolutely always take. It’s free bonuses!) If you want a small chaff unit, or backfield holder that still meets battleline, go with Squig Herds. Your Loonboss on mangler would like that too, and only really synergises with the bounders in your list. The Hag is a tough caster, but her best synergy is with felwater Troggoths, which you dont have. 3 wizards, costing 690 pts,  might be overkill. 

Hope that helps. How to fix depends on what you like most and want to keep (absolutely by rule of cool 😉). Want to keep the mangler boss? Drop the gargant, the hag, take one unit of 60 stabbas then add some squig herd and or bounders/hoppers. If you want to keep the hag most, and go monstrous, then drop the fungoid, tidy up your battleline, and take some felwater troggoths. The combinations are endless, but in general Troggs like Troggs, Squigs like Squigs, spiders like spiders, big moonclan units like fanatics, and nobody likes giants 😆

Edited by Baron Wastelands

First time trying to seriously put together an army, done some stabby fellas and working through some bouncers. Put together a list with my very limited knowledge, not sure what to add to fill it, could always add to squig herds or replace them with spears but want to avoid painting too many of the little guys...

Leaders
Loonboss (70)
- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
5 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)
5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics (120)

Total: 1810 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 161

23478EC5-B8A1-4CA9-8B57-9F76796F7D32.jpeg

4B951CA2-2218-4A41-86D5-4576247884AD.jpeg

• Like 2

@cr0magz Right now imo the Boingrots are the best unit in the army. If you don't want to have to paint a bunch of Stabbas I'd recomend going having on the boingrots and grabbing a Loonboss on Giant Squig to give all your squigly stuff +3 move. Maybe something like this?

Leaders
- General
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moon-cutta
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 172

Keeps the core stuff, drops the Grot auxiliaries and brings a bunch of Bretonnian Squigs to the party.

18 hours ago, tea_wild_owl said:

did some customisation for a jungle themed gitz army with main focus on troggoth that are supported by a cannibalistic grot tribe. it includes an 'arachnatrogg' and last but not least 'da trogg moon' :)

anyone else doing conversions and a thematic army?

InShot_20190129_165812967.jpg

Absolutely love this. I wanted to buy both an arachnarok and a dankhold but they wouldn't really fit with my squiggy army. This however is an idea that needs to be stolen, even if it never makes it to a table!

So, I was going to do death, but right before I dove into that, Gloomspite was announced.  Glad I held off.

Anyways, I'm really new to AoS outside of a handful of games with other peoples models.  Mostly played 40k and other tabletop games, so my analysis might be off.  But I'm having a really hard time being excited about the non-spiderfang Gloomspite wizards built in spells.  The Madcap shaman's spell seems really hit or miss, depending on the opponent, Fungoid Cave Shaman seems good, but also seems like the last spell he's ever going to get off, Zarbag's seems like a really good defensive spell but then you're also paying for the Gitz, the Loonking seems situationally ok.  I like the two Gobbapalooza wizards, but (I don't have my book on me) I thought that they didn't get Arcane Bolt and Mystic shield, but the app lists them.

It feels other than Loonking or Gobbapalooza, you're taking wizards only for magic defense or your also buying an endless spell.  Does that seem like an accurate assessment, or am I just misreading wizards in general?  (Entirely possible as like I said, pretty new to AoS)

8 minutes ago, InfernalStone said:

It feels other than Loonking or Gobbapalooza, you're taking wizards only for magic defense or your also buying an endless spell.  Does that seem like an accurate assessment, or am I just misreading wizards in general?  (Entirely possible as like I said, pretty new to AoS)

Personally I refuse to play wizards. In my opinion 1 wizard is a gamble, even 2 might be. The reason is: against magic heavy foes your wizards will do nothing, no casting, no dispelling. Due to the fact, that magic heavy armies offer multiple ways to increase chance of casting and / or dispelling. 

Against low magic users, magic is nothing but a thorn in the side. I do not know any potentially game changing spell on a 90 pts wizard, meaning I see no reason to bring a "dispel wizard" on my own. In addition, the really powerfull spells often have casting values above 7+ making it a real gamble to successfully cast such a spell. 

That being said, I think that Hand of Gork is one of the best spells in the game. Cast on a unit of 20 Grots with some hidden Fanatics is able to cause major mayhem in the enemies backfield.