AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

37 minutes ago, Mutton said:

8 attacks, with 5's and 6's being mortals under the light of the moon or with the artifact. Each 5 or 6 doing 4 mortals. It's closer on average to 8-12 mortals with all of the buffs (which aren't difficult to get). And we're talking a hero that's only 100 points. Anyone else think that's a tad insane?

The Scuttleboss is a straight murder machine. But give him that Fang item and give the Totem to an Arok. Thats even more MW output for him

On 1/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, DerZauberer said:

Hello fellow destructophist!

So after toying around with my Ironjawz around one year having basicly this two options: to magic or not to magic (looking at you @Malakree), the Gloomspite Gitz blast me away with all the options available.

Holy moly.

So after figuring out my paint scheme - after hitting "desert mushroom" into google and seeing thats a thing - will be dessert themed as my IJ, i finally tried to build my first 1000 points list.

So what do people think about this?

Idea is quite clear: In 1000 points people will freak out seeing 60 grots. If they identify them as "main problem", thats cool, because i've got my fancy boingrots and vice versa. So theres two power cells, 60 stabbas buffed with those sneaky sneaky snufflers and loonboss and the 10 boingrot bounerz.  Squig Herds and zarbags gitz are for objective grabbings, zarbag for cunnin', maybe hand of gork or something.

No idea for artifact to be honest, it's all so good and i'm just not used to "options" while playing Ironjawz. That's also the reason to not ever think of 2000 points right now as my small ummie brain would simply implode.

As much as I love Zarbag’s Gitz, I really feel like they’re wasted points. I’d use Zarbag as a madcap Shaman and free points up for other stuff. 

2 hours ago, Wraithwing said:

As much as I love Zarbag’s Gitz, I really feel like they’re wasted points. I’d use Zarbag as a madcap Shaman and free points up for other stuff. 

It depends on the battleplan and opponent. Against ironjawz on relocation orb they're garbage, against stormcast on knife to the heart they are amazing.

Edited by Malakree

Hi guys - I could use some advice on my list. 

Disclaimer: I am not a competetive gamer, I don't usually do tournaments, and cool models/fluff take precedence over good rules; however, I do like my army to have a bite. 

My idea is the following; Squig hoppers and herd as objective grabbers, Boingrot Bounders and Loonboss on Mangler Squig as 1st. wave charge, Troggoth Hag, Gargant and Rockguts as 2nd wave charge, hopefully with some staying power. The thing I'm wondering about is whether it would be better to have a Fungoid Shaman following some Trolls around (them being able to soak up the Cauldrons mortal wounds and him leading them) + another Mangler Squig, or maybe an arachnarok? I can't decide if the Hag is punchy enough.  I'm thinking about using a Trollbloods mountain king with a Shaman riding him as the Hag, since I really don't like the Hag model. 

Any thoughts? 

LEADERS

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)

- General

- Command Trait : Fight Another Day

Troggoth Hag (380)

UNITS

5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

6 x Squig Herd (70)

3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

BEHEMOTHS

Aleguzzler Gargant (160)

BATTALIONS

Squig Rider Stampede (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 136

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malakithe said:

The Scuttleboss is a straight murder machine. But give him that Fang item and give the Totem to an Arok. Thats even more MW output for him

If only there was a new plastic set to go with it! I know the model itself is decent enough but would be interesting to see how a AoS spider would look like.

Been thinking of a list that can really punch and hold. 

Any feedback?

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Loonboss (70)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Call da Moon
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moon-cutta

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 2x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers
6 x Squig Herd (70)
20 x Shootas (130)
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers

Units
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
5 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 165

Been thinking about having more endless spells in the game. Defensive sneaky list.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Loonboss (70)
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: Hand of Gork
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Venomous Spiderlings 

Battleline
20 x Shootas (130)
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
6 x Squig Herd (70)
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 2x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Units
10 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (280)
5 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (400)
- Allies

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

+  Moon Loonshrine (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 147

As this is a defensive build, all our wizards shall be near the back, behind the Rogue Idol.

With the the Rogue Idol and the Arachnacauldron our Skragrott Loonking can get +3 to casting and the Chronomantic Cogs can give additional spells from the Gloomspite lore. With the Bad Moon and an Arcane terrain we can even get +5 to casting.

The Rogue Idol can ignore the Arachnacauldron mortal wound on a 4+.

On turn two we can change the Cog for the +2 to charge bonus, then teleport our bomb of 20 Shootas with 10 Fanatics to destroy anything. Shootas can soften the target a little and we only need to roll 4+ to charge, and the damage from 10 Fanatics is no joke. 

We should be able to drop Scuttletide with a +2 to cast and disrupt your opponent.

Our Loonboss and Snufflers will boost the Stabbas to do some mortal wound. 

We can also drop the Mork Mighty Mushroom to area deny or kill hordes. We can also drop the Soulsnare Shackle with it to ensure those near the Mushroom can't escape.

Please give me feedback on this list. 

Edited by gnaleinad
Endless spells

14 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Mostly the Sneaky Snufflers flat out gain an extra model per increment.

They also very clearly stated they purposefully separated keywords (for example why squig riders are missing the grot keyword, etc).

Also they clarify how many special models come back when Grots are returned through the Loonshrine (half rounded up).

On 1/24/2019 at 5:01 AM, a74xhx said:

😜 Everyone in here seems so heavy on the squigs right now, with other build types being lost in the process. Ok, there are the Troggoth and Spiderfang threads, but they again lean more towards pure Trog and Spider lists.

Very much agreed.  Personally I am more interested in spiders and Troggoths, rather than Squigs.

That being said, I have no interest in running ALL spiders or ALL Troggoths.  I'd just rather use them to supplement an existing Grot army.

So far the only Squigs I run is sometimes 6 or 12 Cave Squigs, just to fill out that last battle line

Edited by mikethefish

1 hour ago, mikethefish said:

Very much agreed.  Personally I am more interested in spiders and Troggoths, rather than Squigs.

That being said, I have no interest in running ALL spiders or ALL Troggoths.  I'd just rather use them to supplement an existing Grot army.

So far the only Squigs I run is sometimes 6 or 12 Cave Squigs, just to fill out that last battle line

Same, I am going for a mixed contingent. Grots, Squig Cavalry,  and a few Troggs. No spiders because I don’t want to spread my army too thin between the sub-factions. That Dankhold model is beautiful, I just finished building him and he seems great for morale.

does anyone have an idea of what to use a spare Fanatic for? I had 6 old plastic ones, but now that squads are size 5 I have one loner. Save him for a rainy day?

Wow, 85 pages......

So I'm thinking of going spiderfang

Scuttleboss-masterful spider rider, totem of the spider God

Webspinner on arachnarok-headdress of many eyes, sneaky distractions

Webspinner on arachnarok-gift of da spider God

10 spider riders-bone drummer, spider totem

Arachnarok spider with war party

Spider rider skitterswarm

Scuttletide 

Skrapscuttle's arachnacauldron

So after some sneaky scheming I've noticed that maybe sneaky snufflers are the best target for all the buffs available.  60 grots will always be a clear winning choice but maybe your sneaky snufflers are the best as each buff nets you +2 attacks per buff.  A unit of 6 can knock out 36 attacks for 70pts.... put the loonboss command ability on them for mortal wounds or full on gamble and use a unit of 12 that nets you 72 attacks for a mere 140pts.

3 hours ago, mikethefish said:

IMO spiderfang is best solo due to how many buffs they have. Spiders easily have the best synergy within theirselves...possibly the best in the game

33 minutes ago, adreal said:

Wow, 85 pages......

So I'm thinking of going spiderfang

Scuttleboss-masterful spider rider, totem of the spider God

Webspinner on arachnarok-headdress of many eyes, sneaky distractions

Webspinner on arachnarok-gift of da spider God

Spider rider skitterswarm

Scuttletide 

Skrapscuttle's arachnacauldron

Not trying to kick you out but there is a separate spiderfang topic. Much better spider advice in their. That being said Fang is better on the Boss while the Totem is best on a Arok

6 hours ago, Malakithe said:

So how does this make any sense?

I mean its cool and all but so strange

FB_IMG_1548528861499.jpg

Ironically that justifies his increased cost. You are essentially paying 30 points to make squighoppers battleline for your grot force.

Gives some interesting potential for mixing hoppers in the grots instead of squig herds.

Most people here run stabbas in groups of 60 it would seem. I'm guessing that is optimal, but what about running groups of 20/30? I like the aesthetic of multiple rank and file units as opposed to one unorganized looking mob of gobbos. Besides not play optimally, what other disadvantages would I put myself in if I did this for my army? Would it hamstring my whole list?

3 hours ago, ballstowall said:

Most people here run stabbas in groups of 60 it would seem. I'm guessing that is optimal, but what about running groups of 20/30? I like the aesthetic of multiple rank and file units as opposed to one unorganized looking mob of gobbos. Besides not play optimally, what other disadvantages would I put myself in if I did this for my army? Would it hamstring my whole list?

You can only take in groups of 20, so 30 is not possible. 

Groups of 20 just don't do much. Especially if that's your biggest group, it just doesn't do anything.  

This is just how the game works for pretty much any factions. In 90% of cases, especially for the real basic infantry , you can't just take min size units. If you don't understand wht, just play some games and find out.  Takes time to collect /paint many units anyways, not hurting anything to start with "only" 40-60 grots total, and you'll quickly learn what you don't see many  lists with min size units. 

1 hour ago, polishsausage said:

I actually had a question about that.

why would you take one big unit of bounders / hoppers  "15" if I can do 3x5 

the mangler boss affects all units within 18" and you are less likely to lose models due to moral or single target spell debuff or "roll a die per each model in unit and MW them"

I like my big unit as it's only 1 activation for combat and one dice roll for movement.  Much safer as well as it receives buffs much better.  

4 hours ago, polishsausage said:

I actually had a question about that.

why would you take one big unit of bounders / hoppers  "15" if I can do 3x5 

the mangler boss affects all units within 18" and you are less likely to lose models due to moral or single target spell debuff or "roll a die per each model in unit and MW them"

When you charge you only need 1 model in range for the entire unit to inflict mortals, it means you can more easily exploit gaps in their defence by putting all the mortals onto the more important units rather than have 2 units of 5 stuck out of range.